Old 03-27-2017, 06:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

[Episode Discussion] 2x17 "Distant Sun" March 27th 2017

Season 2, Episode 17
"Distant Sun"
Episode Discussion
original air date, Monday March 27th 2017

Synopsis:

LYNDA CARTER RETURNS AS PRESIDENT MARSDIN; KEVIN SMITH DIRECTS – A large bounty is put out on Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and aliens from far and near attack National City intent on taking out the woman of steel. Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (Floriana Lima) run into Maggie’s ex-girlfriend, Emily (guest star Hayley Sales), who is in town for a week. Hank (David Harewood) gets an interesting order from President Marsdin (guest star Lynda Carter). Kevin Smith directed the episode written by Gabriel Llanas & Anna Musky-Goldwyn (#217). Original airdate 3/27/2017.

[previous episode] | [next episode]

Basic Rules:
○ Be Respectful of other posters.
○ Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
○ No Character/Actor Bashing.
○ Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
○ Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
○ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Awesome Nerds; 04-23-2017 at 09:52 AM
Awesome Nerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Rose!
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Total Fan

- Kara’s happy to be unemployed so she can spend some more time with Mon-El? Kara, honey – you still have to pay for that food, and the apartment, and your clothes, and electricity, and bills…

- Wow… the aliens have reached a new level of cheesy. What was that laser-shooting thing?

- Wonder Woman The President is back! Dear show - please don't make her evil. Pretty please?

- Alien bounty hunters? Are we going to see the alien bounty hunter at any point in the series? *cough*Lobo*cough

- Kara, Winn, and James are having Game Night again!! Yay!

- How did the Daximites know where Kara lived to send a bounty hunter there? It’s not like she told them her address or invited them for dinner.

- Hero!Winn saving the day with a stapler!

- I was waiting for J’onn to use his telepathic powers to interrogate someone. Finally!

- Mon-El’s daddy didn’t know about the bounty? I sense trouble in Mr. and Mrs. Daxamite’s relationship. *sees the end* Yup. Knew she was going to do that. Convenient that the guards stationed all over the ship didn't see anything...

- YES! The Stargate is back in use! I hope they keep it around.

- Look at J’onn kicking ass, and Winn being heroic again. Love it!

- Still having trouble seeing Kara and Mon-El as true love considering they’ve known each other less than a year, been dating for barely a month, and this is the first episode where they haven’t had an argument (though I will admit, Mon-El making Kara breakfast was cute).

- Is J'onn going to have problems with the president now? Because he kinda 'Nick Fury-ed' her:
J'onn: Madam President, I recognize you made a decision, but given that it was a stupid-ass decision, I elected to ignore it...

- We’re on hiatus for a month?

Last edited by Elektra; 03-27-2017 at 06:47 PM
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

- I really didn't like Kara saying she was happy to be unemployed so she can spend some more time with Mon-El. Sorry, I just don't buy Kara peaceful and satisfied about this because of how important they made her human life/her job seem. She also isn't working for Cat's company anymore which should affect her emotionally as well considering her close relationship with Cat. Plus, is she getting paid by the DEO? I assume she's not. It would seem odd to be paid for being a Superhero. So that leaves her still having to pay for food, apartment, living essentials. She's not independently wealthy so how can she afford these things?

- Wonder Woman, good to see you, but once again, we see you as an Alien, and tonight it seemed like you looked kind of devious. I wonder what she's going to do to J'onn since he went against her orders.

- Chris Wood was funny as Mon-El not being able to control his body.

- Kara, Winn, and James having Game Night was outstanding to see.

- I very much enjoyed Winn saving the day with... a stapler, lol.

- Very cool seeing J'onn not only use his telepathic powers but totally take someone down going there. That was awesome.

- Mon-El's dad not knowing about the bounty was a surprise but I knew he'd cave. I also knew his mother was going to do something very bad to his father. Dang, she's cold as ice. So I guess we haven't seen the last of Mon-El's mother.

- Here's my deal with Kara/Mon-El... Look, I don't hate Mon-El like many do. I even thought the breakfast bit was cute. I understand that he really is this alien who was brought up a certain way... he can't help his environment and his flaws (his parents brought him into a terrible environment not caring about people, etc) while adjusting to a completely different planet named Earth. He has changed for the better though, we've seen that. We've also seen how he was willing to go back to his planet in order to save Kara. That was a huge, selfless act and it's clear he loves Kara. What bothers me is how rushed and fast things are moving when it comes to Kara/Mon-El. It's just sooooooooooo fast. I just want things to slow down some. I also want Kara to get a job and focus more on her own things. I don't like hearing her say she's happy without a job if it means she gets to be with Mon-El more. Please, no. Slow things down a bit, let Kara remain independent.

- Alex and Maggie had a good storyline going but I found it weird how Alex was so focused on Maggie's ex when her sister was basically in deep danger of being murdered. I also thought it was odd how Alex was so involved with Maggie and her ex. I was also ready to severely roll my eyes when Alex brought up the cheating to Maggie. Thankfully, as the storyline played out I was okay once Alex revealed she's not judging Maggie and her past and even seemed pleased that she's flawed. The way they talked at the end was very cute. I love how this relationship pretty much has realness/issues while evolving/moving forward. See, Alex and Maggie are going at the right pace and they work. I like them.

Hiatus for one month. Sucks.

Last edited by jediwands; 03-27-2017 at 07:37 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Absolute Fan

^ Mon-El's been on Earth for 9 months, and he and Kara only recently became an official couple. How is a relationship that took at least 8 months to come to fruition moving "soooooooo fast"?

As far as the job thing goes,
Spoiler:

We knew Rhea was coming in to be the new "Big Bad", but, man, killing your own husband is really cold.

I speculated a few weeks ago that the writers might be repurposing the White Triangle Daxamite story arc from the post-Zero-Hour Legion of Superheroes reboot comics, and it turns out that I was right, at least in terms of the racism and superiority angle.

I love Alex and Maggie, but am not sure sticking such an isolated character-driven subplot into an episode that dealt with intergalactic bounty hunting and interstellar diplomacy worked all that well or served much purpose, although I do have to give the writers credit for actually taking something that I was decidedly critical of (Maggie not telling Alex the truth about her coming-out story) and making it work.

I think it's hilariously awesome that a "fanon" couple name for the Karamel relationship (Romeo and Juliet) has actually made it into the show itself in conversation between the two characters, although I'm kind of worried what Mon-El's reaction is going to be once he does actually do what Kara told him and finishes the story.

I'm wondering if the writers weren't able to get the rights to use Lobo, because this episode would've been the perfect opportunity for us to see him "in the flesh" instead of just hearing about him in passing, but that telepathic bounty hunter was pretty darn cool nevertheless.

I love that they've made the President of the United States a full-fledged alien, and really want to know her alien species is called, how long she's been on Earth, and how she came to run for public office.

I think it's neat that both of the episodes Kevin Smith has directed for Supergirl have been "arc narratives", and am hoping that if he comes back to direct more episodes next season, this trend continues.

It does suck that we have to wait 3 weeks for "Ace Reporter", but hopefully it'll go fast.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:36 PM
Master Fan

I am always amazed at the fact that kara and mon-el's relationship and alex and maggie's are written by the same writers. it is night and day.

*falls into a deep coma until may sweeps*

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
danvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvers (View Post)
I am always amazed at the fact that kara and mon-el's relationship and alex and maggie's are written by the same writers. it is night and day.
Huh? I'm confused as to what you mean by this.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
^ Mon-El's been on Earth for 9 months, and he and Kara only recently became an official couple. How is a relationship that took at least 8 months to come to fruition moving "soooooooo fast"?
Okay, I'll say this as a person who hasn't shipped ANY pairings of Kara's on this show because of the way Kara has been written. I liked Kara/Adam probably the most, I liked the potential of Kara/James... never cared for Kara/Winn outside of friendship and loved Kara/Mon before they actually got together.

From my perspective, no one needs to agree but from my perspective. I think the problem with Kara's love life right now is that Season 1 existed.

In Season 1, we spend a WHOLE season of Kara supposedly falling in love with James. It took about a year of her feelings growing and her dating to try to find something. With Winn, she didn't have it, with Adam, it became too much for her so she dumped him, yet her growing attraction and love for James kept growing, and Alex could see it and even Barry saw it. In the season finale of Season 1 they agree to be a couple, it seem. After such a rollercoaster Season 1, and even getting Winn to encourage them to date, they go for it, and THEN season 2 came around and it became a different show.

In episode 2x01, she said and I quote, "Last year was all about figuring out how to be Supergirl, and now... now it's time I figure out how to be Kara."

And after a YEAR build up and before James and Kara even had their FIRST DATE, she broke up with James to find herself.

Mon-El first episode is at the END of 2x02 if I remember correct.
2x03 is his first official episode of him being on earth and the episodes after are of Kara trying to teach Mon-El how to act as a better hero with his powers.

ONLY 5 episodes later Mon-El and Supergirl are kissing and Mon-El pretends not to remember the kiss and Kara is hurt by this... ummm why? what happened to the Kara who wanted to find herself. And ever since then it's been all about Mon-El OVER anything.

So, I think that's what the problem has been for me at least. I feel I probably wouldn't have an issue with the Kara/Mon pairing if I didn't remember Season 1 and Kara lie about needing to find out who she was. Because I don't remember any episode this season we've seen of Kara finding out who she is..... it's been all about being a mentor to Mon-El..... that's sweet for her love life but that's finding out who she is?
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Absolute Fan

Mon-El is introduced in The Adventures of Supergirl (2x01), and even though he kisses Kara in Medusa, which, as you point out, is Episode 2x08 (so only a 7-episode gap), there has clearly been more time passing than we've seen, so we don't actually know how long it was in-universe between his first appearance and that kiss.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Mon-El is introduced in The Adventures of Supergirl (2x01), and even though he kisses Kara in Medusa, which, as you point out, is Episode 2x08 (so only a 7-episode gap), there has clearly been more time passing than we've seen, so we don't actually know how long it was in-universe between his first appearance and that kiss.
Okay was looking back on something, Mon-El is introduced at the end of episode 2x01, however, he spent episodes 2x01 - 2x02 SLEEP With everyone wondering about him of course.

2x03 is the first time they both interact with one another (2x02 Mon-El was asleep and of course Kara said she'll be there when he wakes for he doesn't feel alone) while Mon-El is awake and of course he attacks Supergirl in his first scene, I just think he was confused about where he was at. Most of 2x03, Supergirl spends not liking the way Mon-El handles stuff, which lead to some Supergirl vs Mon-El fights.
2x01 - 2x02 was mostly focused on Superman of course.

I think episode 2x04 is when Kara finally treats Mon-El as a decent person and not just judging him based on his powers....

So, 2x04 is the episode where Kara finally lets her guard down arond Mon-El I think so the romance built was 2x04 - 2x08 since their kiss happened in 2x08 with Kara ALREADY fallen for Mon-El since she wanted to talk about the kiss and everything.

However, that's not the issue because I believe 2 people can fall in love in a week if they went through an tramatic expierence together or only had each other or related to each other in a way no one has before.

But I just feel the problem with Supergirl is that the only main common thing has been that Mon-El and Kara both have powers, and them being so much in love seems sort of like, "when" ... and I blame it on the writers for not slowing it down. I feel this season should've been about Mon-El slowly realizing how to love and by the season finale confessing his feelings, not them having this huge explosive love already that hasn't been perfectly developed. And as I mentioned before, Kara and James took a WHOLE season for them to agree to date and next season when they were about to Kara broke it off.

You don't need to agree of course, none of us need to with one another but that's just the way I've been seeing it because during the first 6 episodes I LOVED them. but something happened that changed for me that I can't exactly pinpoint exactly...
I think they have nice chemistry and stuff but I just wish it was spreaded out a little longer. Give me the suspense and waiting game. Let Kara find herself as she lying said she would in 2x01.

Also, to add, I think it's been a little easier for me to accept Alex/Maggie because I didn't see Alex relationships during Season 1. So, her story thus far has felt more authentic to me. I don't feel anything is so out of left field.

See THOSE DANG Season 1 ties that's tripping me.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:13 PM
Absolute Fan

^ Again, though, we don't know how much time passed, within the fictional reality of the show, between Survivors and Medusa.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:16 AM
Passionate Fan

Good episode. The President was a jerk though. Looking forward to them finding out she is an alien.
Bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:17 AM
Extreme Fan

Why is Kara unemployed? I assume she gets a paycheck from the DEO. So I wouldn't expect her to have any actual money trouble, it's just a question whether she wants a civilian job on top of her DEO job.

Why did the psychic assassin try to control Mon-El rather than just go and control Kara into giving herself up? Plothole.

I think Kara and James were within the context of the show artificially kept apart by him going back to be with Lucy. Maybe if Lucy hadn't been around then Kara and James would have made an attempt at a relationship much sooner, so I don't think that it is really comparable to Kara and Mon-El who are single and can just decide to start dating whenever they want.

In season 1 James arrive. Kara is attracted to him. They become friendly with each other. We then learn that he just very recently broke up with Lucy who he had a longer relationship with and he hasn't fully coped. James worries that Lucy might get killed and Lucy and James get back together.

Then there is this period where Kara and James grow closer, but he's technically speaking off limits because he already has a girlfriend.

Eventually Lucy breaks it off and after what I would argue an acceptable amount of mandatory post relationship mourning period Kara and James decide to give it a go. It doesn't go well because of the whole Krytonian attack situation and because Kara sometimes runs away from complicated romantic situations rather than face them.

So, I actually don't think that James and Kara as people took their time. The *show* took there time by inserting Lucy. Lucy was their obstacle, just like Kara and Mon-El's obstacle for quite a while was that they quarreled or that he wouldn't admit to his feelings.

Last edited by LolaRuns; 03-28-2017 at 03:44 AM
LolaRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:08 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
^ Again, though, we don't know how much time passed, within the fictional reality of the show, between Survivors and Medusa.
If more time has passed, then we, as an audience, didn't see the relationship develop on-screen. Kara said she's known Mon-El for 9 months in the crossover (known, not dated)... but we haven't seen those 9 months, only maybe 5 months. We - as viewers - are missing several months worth of character/relationship development, which is incredibly important if the show is claiming K/M as "true love". TV should be show, not tell.

Some people think the relationship is moving at a good pace and are happy with it, and that's fine. Other people think it's moving too fast. Everyone sees things differently. Such is life...
Old 03-28-2017, 05:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

We are all entitled to our opinions. That's the beauty of it. And such should be respected. Thanks for being considerate of others during a time when (I feel) the fandom is pretty divided.
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread