Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Elite Fan

What happened to the Andorians?

I know that they were in the original series, and now they are in Enterprise, but they never appeared in any of the other series. Was there an explanation for that? I didn't watch the original series, so if it was explained there, I wouldn't have seen it.

Can someone explain it, please?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Extreme Fan

In no way am I going to try and explain something that is beyond me because only the writers of the shows and movies know why the Andorians were only seen so seldomly.

However... I can interject and say what I do know which is yes... the Andorians were in TOS. I forget the name of the episode but it had David Soul (someone who later went on to portray 1/2 of the Starsky and Hutch team as well as had brief fame for a role in the movie "Salem's Lot" and an album) in it. In the episode the Andorians did not seem likely to be space travelors. They seemed passive and innocent and quite involved with their "God" Vul.

So this brings up a very good question as to how is it possible for the Andorians to be in space in Enterprise which is before Kirk?

I can further add that for a fact that an Andorian is seen in Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country in the scene near the end at Kittamer (sp) for the Klingon/Starfleet peace treaty talks.

So... did the Andorians all of a sudden after Kirk left Andoria develop such a vast society in a 30 year period of time?

In conclusion and more than likely... Andorians probably have been in the other movies and shows... but only as extras (you might say) in crowd scenes such as in Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country.
TrekGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks, Taz. I knew that they had first appeared in the original series. I was just curious why they had disappeared from Trek lore until Enterprise came along.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:26 PM
Elite Fan

And, my dad is watching an episode of Star Trek:TNG and Worf just mentioned the Andorians... [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

How's that for a weird coincidence? The episode... I don't know the name of it, but the Enterprise responded to a distress call, and found that there are only two humans left on a planet (Rana). Deanna is having problems with a song playing over and over in her head, the couple who are on the planet refuse to leave, and the ship that they say destroyed the rest of the people on the planet tried to lead the Enterprise away from the planet.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Impatient:

Can someone explain it, please?
Continuity on Star Trek? Surely you jest. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I didn't realize that the Andorians had even been mentioned on TNG.

Tazula - thanks for the info. The Andorians weren't capable of space travel in TOS? That is a little hard to explain, huh?

[ 01-28-2004: Message edited C h r i s ]
Old 01-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Extreme Fan

Hrm...um... uh... I am incorrect... here is what I have found so far at www.startrek.com

From TOS they come from the episode "Journey to Babel"

Here is Thelev the Andorian from that episode as well as the synopse.

"Journey to Babel" synopse:

Synopsis

The U.S.S. Enterprise is appointed to transport ambassadors from many worlds to the Babel Conferences. Among those aboard are Ambassador Sarek of Vulcan and his human wife, Amanda — Spock's parents.
Keeping peace aboard his ship is complicated for Kirk by an unidentified vessel following the U.S.S. Enterprise and high tensions running among delegates on board. At a cocktail party, Ambassador Gav, a Tellarite, quarrels openly with Sarek about the admission of Coridan into the Federation. When Gav is later murdered, circumstantial evidence points to Sarek. The strain of such an accusation causes Sarek's already existing heart condition to worsen and he has the Vulcan equivalent of a heart attack. McCoy battles with less familiar Vulcan physiology to try and correct the damage. Spock is needed as a blood donor for the operation.

When Kirk is attacked by Thelev, an Andorian, Spock assumes command of the Enterprise, and refuses to participate in McCoy's operation on his father. The Vulcan insists that they identify and stop the vessel that is following them. Kirk fakes recovery and returns to the bridge, freeing Spock to go to the sickbay and assist in his father's surgery. On the bridge, Kirk must deal with the unknown ship, now in contact with someone on board the U.S.S. Enterprise. A search uncovers the fact that Thelev is not Andorian, but a surgically altered Orion, put on board to disrupt the Babel Conference.

The unknown ship attacks the U.S.S. Enterprise and is defeated. Rather than be captured, it destroys itself and Thelev commits suicide. With Spock available for the blood transfusion, Sarek's operation is a success and he recovers. Father and son make peace, realizing they have a common bond that transcends their differences. Kirk returns to sickbay for treatment of the knife wound caused by Thelev and McCoy gets the last word.

Here is the Andorian Shran from Enterprise

Here is what www.startrek.com says about the species Andorian.

Andorians

Planet: Andoria. Humanoid Federation members are blue-skinned in appearance and have bilateral antennae and characteristically white hair. Andorians are self-described as a violent and warlike species. No members of this Federation race were aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D when Data's offspring, Lal, was "born." Lal rejected an Andorian female as one of four final choices for a racial type, instead opting to become a human female. Apparently, according to Data on stardate 43657.0, Andorians engage in group marriages of four as a rule. However, most of what is known about this race is scattered.

Andorian renegades, in the Triangular system , it is said once embarrassed a Starfleet admiral's supposed search when they hid their ship by dismantling it. An Andorian was present at Risa when Captain Picard vacationed there on stardate 43745.2, and also an Andorian group bid for Tellurian spices offered by Kivas Fajo on stardate 43872.2.

This Federation member-race was the subject of some kind of gender-swapping joke by Quark that Morn was slow to catch; the punchline was "and the Andorian says, 'Your brother? I thought it was your wife!'" Andor is among the many planets providing a registry home to numerous ships that use Deep Space Nine. Their variety of silk is prized for its softness. Andorian jewelry is highly collectible and is not usually available on Deep Space Nine — one of Quark's would-be expanded sales items by inter-station monitor. Chirurgeon Ghee P'trell, an Andorian, was nominated for the Carrington Award in 2371.

Here is where my confusion is... it is TOS (episode "The Apple" from season 2) but they are not Andorians. They are Gammans. Like the Andorians they too have antennae and white hair. However... they do not have the blue skin like the Andorians do.

Here is a picture of the Gammans.

Please pardon my forgetfulness. Thank you. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Elite Fan

Well, thanks for all of the information, even if the first bit was a little off. You are forgiven.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Extreme Fan

Thank you [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] When I'm wrong I am human enough to admit it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2004, 08:13 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Tazula:
When I'm wrong I am human enough to admit it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
And, that is a very good quality to possess.

Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Extreme Fan

No prob [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Reply   Post New Thread