♩♪♫
.¸.•*´¨¤ ¤¨´*•.¸.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator Manager
Live Long and Prosper

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

It's wonderful to see TOS, TNG & VOY still in syndication here.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

another thing I enjoy is when the shows refer back to one another.
♩♪♫
.¸.•*´¨¤ ¤¨´*•.¸.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator Manager
Live Long and Prosper

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Me too. I always felt that Star Trek would have benefitted from doing that more often.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Dedicated Fan

Voyager is my favorite of the Star Trek series because of Kate Mulgrew. Her portrayal of Janeway was inspiring and a good role model for girls like me. I loved the humor and banter that was exchanged between the characters, particularly between Janeway and Chakotay. They were meant for each other. I don't understand the end of the last season. Why would Chakotay get involved with Seven? It made no sense.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator Manager
Live Long and Prosper

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Janeway was a great captain and a terrific role model.

Voyager did have a good share of humour. To me that was especially evident in Tom & Harry's friendship.

As to Chakotay and Seven ... I prefer to forget that happened.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beawild (View Post)
Voyager is my favorite of the Star Trek series because of Kate Mulgrew. Her portrayal of Janeway was inspiring and a good role model for girls like me. I loved the humor and banter that was exchanged between the characters, particularly between Janeway and Chakotay. They were meant for each other. I don't understand the end of the last season. Why would Chakotay get involved with Seven? It made no sense.
- I always thought of Voyager as a woman's show that was mostly made my men. I really think that Mulgrew made Janeway but I did wish that Voyager had consistent writing the way DS9 did. As for C/7. They realized after the show was over what a mistake that was and broke them up in the books. I recently read an article in which Ryan expressed disappointment in that relationship in the way the writers/producers handled that.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator Manager
Live Long and Prosper

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Casting Janeway as female was probably to help draw in a female audience.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, they did the same thing with Spider-Man a few years back: killed Peter Parker and replaced him with a black kid named Miles Morales. They're also replacing Thor with a woman. I'm not saying it's good OR bad, obviously changing out bankable characters (or creating one in a bankable franchise) just to have a minority character. In Janeway's case, Mulgrew made the character awesome, and it was well enough written that she stands on her own fictional feet. I tried continuing on with Spider-Man, but the writing was just so weak. I couldn't justify the expenditure of buying the monthly comics. I don't follow Thor anyway, so I'll end up watching that from the sidelines, so to speak. In the end, fads like the minority group du jour will fade and the stuff that can stand on its own will stand, regardless of who or what the characters are or what demographics they belong to.

"Bob, you can't drive this like you do your average starship. You have to ramp up the reaction and
then gently engage the nacelles or you'll overload the injectors and have to reinitialize!"
"So...goose the throttle and then ease off the clutch or I'll kill it?"
"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator Manager
Live Long and Prosper

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyb42 (View Post)
In the end, fads like the minority group du jour will fade and the stuff that can stand on its own will stand, regardless of who or what the characters are or what demographics they belong to.
Totally agree with you there. If a character isn't believable, or well written, the audience won't buy in just because it's supposed to pander to their demographic.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
Totally agree with you there. If a character isn't believable, or well written, the audience won't buy in just because it's supposed to pander to their demographic.
Well, I mean, in the short run sure, some will. But long term? Nope. So thank goodness Captain Kate has staying power

"Bob, you can't drive this like you do your average starship. You have to ramp up the reaction and
then gently engage the nacelles or you'll overload the injectors and have to reinitialize!"
"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Old 07-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator Manager
Live Long and Prosper

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Of course people will have to check it out to determine whether or not it's worth any further investment of their time.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Master Fan

And let's be honest: there will be those for whom the demographic du jour is a personal favorite, so that even if the writing is atrocious they will still hail the thing as ground-breaking and timeless. Either that or they'll be extra-offended at how badly written it is...

"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Old 07-31-2014, 05:54 AM
Senior Moderator Manager
Live Long and Prosper

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I'm sure the writers hope it will be the first option.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:10 PM
Master Fan

No doubt

"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top