Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2015, 04:53 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
MARINA SIRTIS: Well, you have to remember that we were shooting a show about the 24th century in the 20th century, so you have to bear that in mind. My thing was because to be honest, I don’t know about Gates’ experience with the producers, but I never got an acting note—ever. I would get a call from the producer, “Did you change your lipstick? Did you do something different with your hair?” For “The Boys” in the office it was all about how I look, I knew that from the get-go. So being that as I am very “woman’s libby” as we used to call it in my day, I wanted to portray that you could be an attractive woman and still be a strong person. So for me it was really important that there was someone in the position of power and authority and obviously respect who also cared about her appearance. Because that is me—that’s me, I care about my appearance, but I also care more about society, politics and the world, so I don’t think the two are exclusive, and that’s what I wanted to show.

GATES McFADDEN: Um, I just basically wanted to look good… Actually, as most of you probably know I got let go because I was a feminist. So, second season I wasn’t there because I disagreed with the writer, I felt he was writing the character of Crusher—I had said to him, “I raised this kid on my own; he might be obnoxious about it, but he has saved the ship about 6 times. And there has to be some of those genes that are Beverly Crushers, so why is it every time anything with any wisdom is said it’s a male character who talks to him.” And it’s only me that is only about the mother, which believe me mothering is like that’s number one, just love him—no problem with that. Because I thought that had not been really portrayed on a TV show. I have a son and we have whole other disconnect sometimes where it’s just talking about things, and it’s not to do with, “oh you’re a mom, and you’re my son.” Basically we disagreed, I was asked to you know, go, I certainly did it, and I wasn’t trying to be strident. I was used to working in theatre departments where everybody respected everybody and you basically did talk about things. You can talk about script things that didn’t mean you were going to get your way. It’s like what happens right now in rehearsals, I could be directing something and I can have four actors saying completely different things, and really arguing about it. I don’t take it personally, it’s like they’re arguing for their character—that makes sense to me. Anyway, I did just really want to look good but it didn’t work out.

Marina Sirtis & Gates McFadden, on doing a 24th Century show in the 20th Century, and the reason Gates was fired in the second season. (Spoiler Alert: the producer was then fired and Gates was asked to come back )
source
Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Master Fan

I mostly stopped watching DS9 because so many episodes were just soap opera in space. :/

"Bob, you can't drive this like you do your average starship. You have to ramp up the reaction and
then gently engage the nacelles or you'll overload the injectors and have to reinitialize!"
"So...goose the throttle and then ease off the clutch or I'll kill it?"
"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Old 01-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Thanks for posting the interview Tracey. Marina's bit is interesting because I never thought of Troi as being a particularly strong female character.

I tried to watch DS9 but it just never appealed to me, it just didn't have the same sense of adventure.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

No problem, very interesting thoughts there from the ladies..
Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I don't think I"ve ever seen Gates speak so frankly about her absence from the second season.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Me neither..
Old 01-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
I don't think I"ve ever seen Gates speak so frankly about her absence from the second season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_diamond (View Post)
Me neither..
Nor I.

"Bob, you can't drive this like you do your average starship. You have to ramp up the reaction and
then gently engage the nacelles or you'll overload the injectors and have to reinitialize!"
"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Old 01-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyb42 (View Post)
Nor I.
Me as well! I am glad she came back in the third season. I remember watching the 2nd season finale -Shades of Grey-where Riker gets infected by an alien virus and Dr Pulaski uses strong memories to try to neautralise it. When things took a turn for the worse my sister turned to me and actually said, Dr Crusher would be able to save him. So imagine our suprise when Crusher came back the following fall! Epic.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

It was epic, Bev is one my fave's and the 2nd season wasn't the same without her..
Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 AM
Master Fan

I realize I'm one of the few, but I still say Dr. Pulaski didn't bother me at all. I actually think it's cool how often they would get someone who had been on TOS to play stuff in TNG.

"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Old 01-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I never cared much for Pulaski and was happy to see Beverly return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyb42 (View Post)
I actually think it's cool how often they would get someone who had been on TOS to play stuff in TNG.
Agree with this.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

More S7 bloopers...

source
Old 01-13-2015, 08:04 PM
Master Fan

Just watched Measure of a Man with the kids, tonight

"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Old 01-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Isn't that a wonderful episode? It's one of my favourites.

@ the gifs of the bloopers.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

The Picard bridge one
Closed Thread   Post New Thread