Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Star Trek references in pop culture and life

Here's a thread I thought would be fun. Where we discuss how Star Trek seems to pop up on other shows, books, etc.

My favorites:

On an X-Files episode Mulder is investigating a strange airplane accident. He keeps asking questions, and one of the officers sarcastically says something about finding "Spock's phaser". It was so cool to see one iconic show reference another.

On Frasier, there's a character named Noel who's Star Trek obsessed. There have been jokes about him doing karoke in Klingon, and getting a restraining order from William Shatner.

There are so many.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Extreme Fan

Last night's eppy of "Joey" was pretty good. Brent Spiner was in it playing himself and Joey's nephew Michael was hassling him about the whole Data/Lore and Star Trek thing.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Extreme Fan

In btvs, wasn't a big refrence or anything but they did mention it.. and that's all I remember for now..

Buffy: You're like my fairy godmother, and Santa Claus, and Q all wrapped up into one. (they look at her) Q from Bond, not Star Trek.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

What a great idea for a thread Pia! Thanks for starting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78

On Frasier, there's a character named Noel who's Star Trek obsessed. There have been jokes about him doing karoke in Klingon, and getting a restraining order from William Shatner.

I vaguely remember that. Didn't that person have a Klingon marriage ceremony?

There's been a few Trek references in Gilmore Girls. I seem to remember a few last season between Lorelei and Jason.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Extreme Fan

Oh my friend told me that there is a star trek reference in the song "Grade Nine" by the Barenaked Ladies

Well half my friends are crazy and
The others are depressed
And none of them can help me
Study for my math test
I got into the class room and my
Knowledge was gone;
I guess I should have studied instead
of watching "Wrath of Khan".

EDIT: In the game "Quake III", one of the characters that can be used is a skeleton creature called Bones. When you kill Bones, he says, "I'm dead, Jim"

and also the playstation game Xenogeras has several references to Star Trek.

Quote:
Futurama
In the beginning, Fry begins with: "Space... it seems to go on and on forever. But then, you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."

Fry walks up to a door which slides open and says, "Cool! Just like in Star Trek." He then gets hit by the door.

Fry and Bender hide in the head museum, where Leonard Nimoy's head greets them. Fry asks "Spock" to do the Vulcan hand salute, at which Nimoy chuckles and says, "I don't do that anymore."

Also, Brannigan is himself a parody of Kirk.

In the episode where they visit Zoidberg's home planet, Zoidberg challenges Fry to a battle of honor -- a "Clawplach."

In another episode, the one where they discover the poppers, at one point, Leila makes the comment, "It's a class "L" planet -- so it should at least have Rodenberrys."

Parody of "Amok Time":

Dr. Zoidberg develops a mysterious berserkiness problem and has to be rushed to his home planet when the crew discovers it's mating season. It ends up with the ritual combat in the arena between the lead character and one of his friends. Before the battle starts, the organist plays their national anthem and it's the music from the battle scene in "Amok Time".

Last edited by Hunniah; 01-19-2005 at 09:11 AM
Old 01-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunniah
Oh my friend told me that there is a star trek reference in the song "Grade Nine" by the Barenaked Ladies

Really? I'll have to listen to those lyrics more closely next time I hear the song.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Chris Pine
Keanu Reeves

Jag has a lot of reference because Bud is a huge Star Trek fan himself
Old 01-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I wanted to mention it myself now Sarah I think he named his second son after Captain Kirk... a true ST fan

Andie
Old 01-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Master Fan

Sara in CSI did the Vulcan greeting. Or maybe it was just an alien greeting, but I prefer to think of it as the Vulcan one!

Love this thread!
Old 01-16-2005, 05:13 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie_coffeeaddicted
I wanted to mention it myself now Sarah I think he named his second son after Captain Kirk... a true ST fan

Andie
Yeah, he did. I think it was Harm made a comment about it, and Harriet (Bud's wife) had no idea that she had agreed to name her son after a Star Trek character.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

in the terminal with tom hanks the officer that keeps denying him a pass into the country is a trekkie...we even get to see the vulcan greeting

Reply: But you can't assimilate me...I'm Denny Crane
Old 01-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I haven't seen The Terminal yet. I'll have to watch for that when I rent it.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Extreme Fan

In stargate Atlantis - Sanctuary eppie, McKay compares John to Captain Kirk. This is because Captain Kirk in Star Trek: TOS got many times involved with alien females. Just like John does in this episode.

"McKay: Oh my god, he is Kirk..."

EDIT: There's a little reference in "The Casper" movie in the scene where the lead kid's teacher comes to visit his home and he shows her a picture of him as a klingon. She says, "I love Star Trek. Did You see 'The Wrath of Khan'?"
The kid says " Yeah, That's a classic!"

Last edited by Hunniah; 01-18-2005 at 04:44 PM
Old 01-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunniah

"McKay: Oh my god, he is Kirk..."

Yeah, he was quite the womanizer.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Extreme Fan

Futurama - Where No Fan Has Gone Before very funny episode, this whole episode is based on star trek: tos

Quote:

Fry is put on trial for his life for traveling to the forbidden planet of Omega 3 to retrieve all 79 episodes of "Star Trek", and he must defend the claim that human kind needs "Star Trek" to give them hope for the future. In the 23rd Century, "Star Trek" fans had evolved to such a level that they corrupted the world's governments and all things "Star Trek" were then banned to Omega 3. Fry sets out on his mission with Leela, Bender and Leonard Nimoy's head in a jar, only to discover William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, George Takei and Walter Koening are living on Omega 3 under the watchful eye of Melllvar, an evil energy creature -- and "Star Trek's" biggest fan.

In the opening shot, you can hear Star Trek music, and the Planet Express ship comes past the camera with the trademark warp nacelles featured in Star Trek. William Shatner's voice speaks.
Crew-members in red shirts regularly died on away missions. (Welshy is a red-shirted crew-member and dies).
Melllvars ship looks like a cross between a Romulan and Klingon Bird-Of-Prey. It has a cloaking device as well.
Leonard tries to use the made up move from Star Trek (Vulcan neck pinch).
In the end, the ship glides away like at the end of every Star Trek episode.

All but two of the original Star Trek cast are present for this episode. DeForest Kelly who played Bones, obviously due to his death 3 years earlier. But the only living member to turn it down was James Doohan who played Scotty. When the request went out to his agent, the crew got only a two-word reply. "NO WAY!"
In return for turning down the role, Cohen got revenge by writing int he character of "Welshy." The one line we hear him speak is actually in welsh. Translated is says "I am very drunk." The other writers took it a step forward and had Welshy killed, showing one of the few constants in Star Trek -- if you wear a red suit, and you're only an ensign... you'll eventually get killed!
Church of Trek Sign: THE SCI-FI RELIGION THAT DOESN'T TAKE ALL YOUR MONEY.
Shirt on nerd getting killed: Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life here.
"George and Walter will have to share" was a stab at the fact that the show didn't have the budget in the second season for both Koenig and Takei, so they had to switch off episodes.
While it's only hinted that he was there, that is really the voice of Jonathan Frakes who played Riker on The Next Generation.
Before he agreed to do the show, Shatner talked to Billy West to make sure everything was on the up-and-up.
The energy being had several different forms that were drawn up for consideration. But in the end, the staff admitted most of them looked too "good" to ever look like anything from the original series. So they went with the simplest form, which was the sparkly cloud.
When Leela tells the crew to "lose some weight," you'll see that the three main cast members are posed in the same areas as the people standing next to them. Shatner next to Leela in the captain's chair, Fry sitting at the communication desk with Nichols behind him, and Bender standing with his hands behind his back the same way Nimoy is posed.
There was one deleted scene which was taken out at Shatner's request, and when you see it, you'll know why. It can be found on the Season 4 DVD.

Last edited by Hunniah; 01-19-2005 at 09:05 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread