Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 05:06 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Star Trek references in pop culture and life #2

First thread

A thread to share Star Trek references from other shows, books or life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom (View Post)
To help explain this reference you need to know that there is a local radio station called Bob FM and that there is an electronics store called Conn's (pronounced just like Khan). So...

When I switched off my alarm yesterday and turned on the radio, there was a promo talking about Bob's favorite Star Trek nemesis being Khan and that had something to do with an appearance and sale at Conn's this weekend. I would have transcribed the promo better but I don't do mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
They pronounce 'Conn' as 'Khan'?

It would be interesting to know how they tied it in. I wouldn't be able to transcribe anything first thing in the morning either. In my books, you did well to remember the gist of it.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:59 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

On an episode of Mythbusters, Carrie is wearing a silver bikini and they paint the rest of her body with silver paint to see if it still allows her sking to breathe. Adam comes in and says "Now you're ready to meet Captain Kirk."
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Total Fan

On last night's "My Dad is Better Than Your Dad", they had a trivia question about fuel made from corn and one of the possible answers was "dilithium crystals."
Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Did anybody guess that as the answer?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
On an episode of Mythbusters, Carrie is wearing a silver bikini and they paint the rest of her body with silver paint to see if it still allows her sking to breathe. Adam comes in and says "Now you're ready to meet Captain Kirk."
Too true.

Quote:
On last night's "My Dad is Better Than Your Dad", they had a trivia question about fuel made from corn and one of the possible answers was "dilithium crystals."
300 years from now someone will name a new fuel dilithium crystals.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Total Fan

The one who buzzed in first got the answer right, IIRC.

I was reading a blog this morning and one of the people responding to it referenced Star Trek. Unfortunately I don't remember which one it was and now I can't find it.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

overall, I'm noticing fewer Trek references lately.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Total Fan

The ST references do seem to have slowed recently. When the new movie comes out that will probably change for a little while.

I found the blog and here's the relevant part of the reply: She's in a "Kobayashi Maru" (sorry for the geek Star Trek reference). A no-win situation. The purpose of the Kobayashi Maru simulation is to test a person's strength and character when faced with a no-win scenario.

Also, has anyone seen the commercial for, I think, Jack In the Box in which people are driving and eating and all the insides of their sandwiches fall out? There's one guy who is captaining a spaceship and I swear the set looks like Star Trek but when the view is changed to outer space, the ship that blows up looks like it's from BSG.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Referencing the Kobayashi Maru seems really thought out and deliberate. Not exactly something that would roll off the tip of the tongue for most people. Interesting that the person would use it, then feel the need to explain it.

We don't have the Jack in the Box chain here, so no, I haven't seen it.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Great show title. I wonder if there'll be more references in the show, or they'll leave it with the title.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Total Fan

On last Friday's episode, Joel McHale of E!'s The Soup likened Amanda Overmyer, last week's American Idol reject, to a Klingon.

Another possible reference - on Reaper last week Sam, Sock, and Ben went "jogging" to try to catch an escaped soul. Their jogging suits were blue, yellowish/gold, and red. Guess which character got hurt?

Last edited by dukesmom; 03-24-2008 at 11:02 PM
Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
On last Friday's episode, Joel McHale of E!'s The Soup likened Amanda Overmyer, last week's American Idol reject, to a Klingon.
I saw that

Old 03-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom (View Post)
Their jogging suits were blue, yellowish/gold, and red. Guess which character got hurt?
Knew there was a reason I don't like red.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Total Fan

There was a shout out on the finale of Eli Stone. At one point Eli asked how to get out of "here", for wont of a better word, and one of the possibilities he suggested was, "Have Scotty beam me up?"
Closed Thread   Post New Thread