Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Spock/Leonard Nimoy appreciation

This a thread for the original Spock character and the actor who portrayed him.

Leonard Nimoy developed the character of Spock, influencing not only how he was acted but how he was written as well. He introduced the Vulcan hand sign, taking it from a Jewish priestly blessing. He also introduced "Live long and prosper", the Vulcan greeting, which was also inspired by a Jewish priestly blessing. Nimoy made the character 3-dimensional, making the character a real person rather than a 2-dimensional alien caricature. In doing so, he created a major tv icon.

Nimoy's Spock was the original show-stealing character of Trek. Everybody was supposed to focus on Kirk, but a lot of people were more interested in Spock, who was the only character to carry over from the pilot to the regular cast of the main show. Multiple Trek characters since Spock have been echoes of how Spock was an exploration of alieness and humanity and being different, characters like Data and Odo and even 7 of 9.

Nimoy was born in 1931 in Boston in the US to parents who were Yiddish-speaking Jewish immigrants from the Ukraine. He spent two years as a sergeant in the US army in the 50s. He has worked in many films and shows, including Mission Impossible. He has directed a number of films, including two Star Trek movies (III and IV). He has been involved in music and photography. His Jewish identity is important to him and some of his work relates to the topic. He has said something to the effect that Spock is a space Jew or that Vulcans represent Jews or both. Mark Lenard, who played Spock's father in the original series and its films, was Jewish as well.

Apart from the original show and its movies, Nimoy appeared as Spock in episodes of The Next Generation (Unification) and now has returned to Trek in the 2009 movie, in which he does a splendid performance as the old Spock.

Nimoy at imdb: Leonard Nimoy (full filmography)
and at wikipedia: Leonard Nimoy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and at Memory Alpha the Trek wiki: Leonard Nimoy - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki
and at Startrek.com: STARTREK.COM�:�Biography

Links for Spock:
STARTREK.COM�:�Biography
Spock - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki
Spock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sum1; 11-25-2009 at 03:12 PM
Old 11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Nimoy made the character 3-dimensional, making the character a real person rather than a 2-dimensional alien caricature. In doing so, he created a major tv icon.
Very true. Thanks for getting this started sum. You've done a really nice job on the opening post.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 11-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Dingbat/Amy is a big Spock fan. I"ll have to PM her and let her know we have a thread just for Spock now.

I loved how Nimoy could convey so much just by arching an eyebrow.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

YouTube clip of Nimoy on Spock here.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Elite Fan

Chris, gonna have to check out that link
Old 11-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I thought you'd like this thread. Hope you enjoy the link.

Did you have any Spock art you'd like to share with us?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Elite Fan

^^ Other than a few wallpapers, no, and I don't have photoshop atm (it's torture ), so I can't make anything, but when I do, srsly, I'll make something.

OMG! Clip is amazing! I particularly adored the part where he was talking about developing the Vulcan salute

Quote:
I loved how Nimoy could convey so much just by arching an eyebrow.
OMGoodness! I know! Zach did alright, but Leonard's is sharp, high, and quick like you wouldn't believe! And gosh! I wish I could do it
Old 11-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quinto is nothing on Nimoy. That video is great.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Glad you enjoyed the clip. It's hard to reinvent a character. Especially when it's somebody as iconic as Spock and the original actor is still so closely identified with the role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat (View Post)
OMGoodness! I know! Zach did alright, but Leonard's is sharp, high, and quick like you wouldn't believe! And gosh! I wish I could do it
I was glad Zach brought that to the role, although apparently it was the opposite brow? Can't say I noticed.

I'll look forward whenever you have time to share something Amy.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
It's hard to reinvent a character. Especially when it's somebody as iconic as Spock and the original actor is still so closely identified with the role.
And the original actor should be so closely indentified with the role. Spock is Nimoy. Nimoy defined the nature of Spock and Nimoy's acting is an essential part of the character, without which you don't have Spock. You can't validly "reinvent" a character by recasting. A character is defined to a large extent by the actor who plays them, the unique fingerprint of the actor's personality and acting style. Cast a different actor and you have a different character. It's as simple as that. Quinto is not Spock. He is not the same character. The nature of the character as played by Quinto is entirely different, to the point that the two actors' performances cannot be called one unified character. Recasting like that is just bull. Sometimes an audience goes along with it, but they're just accepting a lie for the sake of the story. But I won't accept this lie. Nimoy's Spock and the nature of Nimoy's Spock as defined by Nimoy's acting means too much to me. I will not accept a counterfeit.

Last edited by sum1; 11-29-2009 at 02:14 PM
Old 11-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Quinto is nothing on Nimoy. That video is great.
I didn't mean to offend, I just meant that no one raises an eyebrow quite like Leonard

Quote:
I was glad Zach brought that to the role, although apparently it was the opposite brow? Can't say I noticed.
I noticed it Spock always raised a right eyebrow
Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat (View Post)
I didn't mean to offend, I just meant that no one raises an eyebrow quite like Leonard
Don't worry, you didn't offend.

Last edited by sum1; 11-30-2009 at 11:01 AM
Old 12-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Leonard Nimoy joins 'Star Trek Online' crew - Game Hunters: In search of video games and interactive awesomeness - USATODAY.com

Quote:
Leonard Nimoy's participation in the upcoming Star Trek Online game is logical, but the official announcement today from Atari and developer Cryptic Studios (Champions Online) is a welcome one for the PC-based massively multiplayer role-playing enterprise, embarking on Feb. 2.

Nimoy joins Zachary Quinto, who played Spock in the J.J. Abrams-helmed Star Trek theatrical relaunch of the franchise, released in May. Quinto will voice the game's tutorial while Nimoy will deliver the game's introduction and he will also be heard during key scenes and in-game events.

"I am happy to be involved with Star Trek Online. In this game, the essence of Star Trek -- exploration and adventure -- lives long and prospers," Nimony said in a statement in the game's news release. "I'm pleased that a whole new generation of fans will be able to discover new frontiers in the Star Trek universe."
Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

I wonder will he be in any future Trek films?