Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Can you really guarantee Nimoy wouldn't have been rude to a fan who POLITELY said Abrams' films and shows are no good and that Quinto can never be Spock? He seems pretty uncompromising on the topic, so I don't have confidence in that. The whole "negativity is not welcome" thing would seem to rule out any expression there of opinions critical of Quinto's performance. Which I think is very unfair. It's like the opinions of fans like me who disliked Quinto's Spock are not valid. Which is all the more difficult to accept considering that such opinions regularly derive at least in part from loyalty to Nimoy and his performance. To me he's being very ungrateful to his fans for their appreciation, support and loyalty. Couldn't he at least be a little more polite and less brusque in telling them he doesn't appreciate criticism of Quinto's Spock?

Last edited by sum1; 05-31-2012 at 01:26 PM
Old 05-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Loyal Fan

Its not really a good show of loyalty and support if its hurting someone else in the process; you know that because you feel slighted as well.

Nimoy and some of his fans are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Spock: I have partaken of brown sugar, Captain. There is no reversing course.

-CmdrR - Trekweb.com January 29, 2012
Old 05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternbetrachter (View Post)
for me, it felt more like Nimoy reacting to how the fan worded his opinion but that's just me and while I agree that freedom of speech is important, that doesn't give you the right to be rude (but like I said, that's just me)
I disagree. I don't think the fan that Nimoy told the leave was rude or hurtful. He wasn't attacking Abrams or Quinto. He was criticizing them as director/actor/artists. Maybe the poster could have been more eloquent (hard to do with Twitter's character limit), but s/he wasn't rude.

I also don't think the argument that Nimoy was only reacting to the wording holds water - assum pointed out, see the "negativity is not welcome" tweet. It's similar to other boards I've been to where Trek fans weren't allowed to say anything negative about the reboot. It kills dialogue and alienates fans.

I still think highly of Nimoy - saw him speak in person and was very impressed. But, bottom line, you don't tell fans to leave simply because they don't like something you like.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Couldn't he at least be a little more polite and less brusque in telling them he doesn't appreciate criticism of Quinto's Spock?
Agree with you on this point.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinn-Jinn (View Post)
Its not really a good show of loyalty and support if its hurting someone else in the process; you know that because you feel slighted as well.
It's not hurting someone else. It's just fan criticism of celebs' work. Celebs learn to take that. Imagine if they got worked up every time a fan criticised their work? They could never get through life. Fan criticism of celebs' work is part of being a fan and is fair. Comes with the job of being a star. It's part of the same job that gets them these unreasonably huge paychecks.

On the other hand, it could be said that the reboot, the new Spock, etc, are changes that weren't easy for many fans. They have some legit hurt to express. And they should be allowed to express it. I don't dislike the reboot in general, but I can understand how many people who are emotionally invested in Trek were hurt by it. And that's how I am over the Spock reboot. And let's remember that none of these changes were made for worthy reasons. The sole reason for the reboot was to find a new way to make hard cash out of the Trek franchise. It can hurt for people to see their beloved story kicked around for Hollywood money-grubbing.

Quote:
Nimoy and some of his fans are just going to have to agree to disagree.
But he isn't allowing that. He's not saying "We'll have to agree to disagree about Quinto's Spock." Rather, he's saying (effectively) "Shut up and go away." Agreeing to disagree implies some degree of mutual respect and respect for each others' opinions. But Nimoy is showing no respect for these fans or their opinions. He's not really allowing them to have their opinions. He's telling them their opinions are bad and chasing them away for expressing opinons he doesn't like.

I think Nimoy is a great actor and I've loved his work for years. I liked the reboot movie apart from the new Spock. It's a fun movie. And I think people are perfectly entitled to like the new Spock if they want to. But by the same token we are entitled to dislike the new Spock and to express that opinion. And nobody has the right to tell us to shut up and go away.

Last edited by sum1; 05-31-2012 at 06:41 PM
Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Fan criticism of celebs' work is part of being a fan and is fair. Comes with the job of being a star. It's part of the same job that gets them these unreasonably huge paychecks.
Very true. Actors are paid professionals, and opening themselves to public opinion is part of their job.

Quote:
But by the same token we are entitled to dislike the new Spock and to express that opinion. And nobody has the right to tell us to shut up and go away.
Agree with the first part. Isn't Mr Nimoy entitled to his opinion too? If the comment wasn't posted on his personal twitter, I would agree with you that he was out of line. While the page is public, I would still consider it his personal space and feel that he is entitled to monitor the content.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
Agree with the first part. Isn't Mr Nimoy entitled to his opinion too? If the comment wasn't posted on his personal twitter, I would agree with you that he was out of line. While the page is public, I would still consider it his personal space and feel that he is entitled to monitor the content.
He's entitled to his opinion, but having his opinion doesn't mean shutting down other people's opinions and teling them to go away. Having his opinion would be saying he likes Quinto's Spock or even, at a pinch, saying he doesn't like criticism of Quinto's Spock. Not "Shut up and go away". As for being entitled to monitor the content of Twitter page, he might be, but that doesn't mean he should do so restrictively and rudely. There's such a thing as allowing open discussion and tolerating differing opinions and it's more civilized and enlightened than being restrictive. It's also more fitting to the theme of Star Trek, as Beckytm pointed out.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Loyal Fan

I saw this on Tumblr and I it kind of gave me a lump in my throat. This was most physical affection I have seen Spock give to someone in his immediate family. Its one of those parts of that movie I wished was delved into a bit more. I wanted to know how their relationship was as children and how it changed once Sybok went against Vulcan customs.

I think little Spock might've liked his older half-brother since it would make him less alone...or it could've been confusing to him seeing his full Vulcan half-brother behaving differently and it influenced him further into being more Vulcan.
Well, that's my thoughts.

Spock: I have partaken of brown sugar, Captain. There is no reversing course.

-CmdrR - Trekweb.com January 29, 2012
Old 07-03-2012, 04:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Aww, good scene...thanks for posting Jinn
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I loved first first Spock....nobody will ever compare to him
Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

It's true that Nimoy set a very high bar. I think Quinto's Spock acknowledges the original, but still puts his own spin on the character
Old 07-04-2012, 05:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quinto played in the 2009 movie, right? he was a good young Spock too
Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyal2usa (View Post)
Quinto played in the 2009 movie, right? he was a good young Spock too
Yes, Zachary Quinto is Spock in the reboot. I was pleased with his portrayal.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

I love Nimoy as Spock, I was hoping someone made a thread for it if there's a list can I be added?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

welcome to the thread
Closed Thread   Post New Thread