Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

The label 'Trekkies' - yay or nay?

What do you think? Personally, I don't like it much. It seems to bring up negative connotations, although I cna't think of any specific examples right now.

Comments? Opinions?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:01 PM
johnnie1

After watching "Trekkies" the documentary thing that shows a lot on the different Treks. There is a difference in terms from "Trekker" and Trekkie" as mentioned on the documentary.

Those people are more into Trek than me. Though I'd probably wear a starfleet uniform if they sold them in the clothing section. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I like the term, as I like all the Treks especially the newer series. I'm not so much into the original series but that may be due to not growing up on it. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I think a lot of people associate the term 'Trekkie' with people who dress up to go to conventions and speak Klingon. To me, that just seems a little ... [img]smilies/spineyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2003, 05:39 PM
johnnie1

I'd probably do that if I could, but I must continue to work. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Though, I think learning Klingon is beyond my limitations at this point in time. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

hehe ... really?

One of the characters on 'JAG', Bud Roberts, is portrayed as a Trekkie. To me, that's a positive portrayal. If funny by times. In one eppy he was comparing TOS eppys to Shakespeare.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Master Fan

I wear it with pride. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Spooky Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by Spooky Spice:
I wear it with pride. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Just the title or do you have actual costumes?
Old 12-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Addicted Fan

I love the term "Trekkies", and I loved the movie Trekkies. I thought it portrayed Trekkies in a positive light, as maybe sometimes eccentric but also very intelligent and creative people. I've never been to a Trek convention yet but I intend to go someday ( something always seems to come up ). My husband and I have discussed how we wished we had the nerve to wear the costumes. If I get over my innate shyness a bit I would like to do that "someday". My husband would like to go as a Klingon or Starfleet officer and I think I'd prefer a TNG Starfeet science officer or maybe a retro Original Series outfit or possibly an Enterprise jumpsuit.

Anyhow, Star Trek represents something positive in general. i.e.~ humanity working together for the common good, loyalty, respecting other people's ( or other beings ) cultures, exploring space to improve and learn, solving problems with the least amount of violence possible, putting your phasers on stun instead of kill when at all possible etc... I don't see how being considered a fanatic of Star Trek could be negative. Alot of astronauts, scientists and people in general have expressed how Star Trek influenced them to want learn about, research or explore space. So to me Trekkie = positive, intelligent, creative, forward thinking person.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

BTW, is that Scott Bakula in a santy hat in your avie?

To answer the question ... I have a small problem with it. For the most part, Trekkies or ST fans are portrayed as geeks or nerd who know a ton of science, with nothing better to do, no real life, so they live and become these fictional creatures. And I don't like that.

I'm a *normal* trek fan, but yet, I have met some true *Trekkies* before.

And Chris, I agree, Bud is a positive ST fan portrayal. Did you see the eppy where he named his new son James after James T Kirk? [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 01:02 AM
Elite Fan

I never really gave it all that much thought.

Personally, I do not believe that I am a Trekkie. My uncle, however, would be considered one, for he has more Star Trek memorabilia than anything else in his house, much to his wife's dismay (she likes TNG and Voyager, and that is it, whereas he is as obsessive over all things Trek as I am over Nicholas Brendon... Or even mroeso).

Do I think it is a bad thing to be considered a Trekkie? Nah. I think it is better than a lot of things you could be called. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

cosmic, You might be able to talk me into one of Enterprise's jumpsuits. They're not so form fitting. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Impatient:

Do I think it is a bad thing to be considered a Trekkie? Nah. I think it is better than a lot of things you could be called. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] True enough. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Passionate Fan

I don't think the term Trekkie is that big a deal, it sounds cute [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The term Trekker is just trying to be politically correct, and I don't want to be politically correct. Besides "Trekker" isn't going to change who the person is. They are still a Trekkie who loves Star Trek who happens to have problems with being called a "Trekkie" [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] (well at least some have problems with it) And it just makes it obvious that some "Trekkies" are self-conscious of the title.
SolarFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

I proudly wear the banner of Trekkie. A Trekker just sounds like someone who goes on long walks somewhere. Take from someone who has been called worse - I would have much prefered to have been called a trekkie. I'm not a costume wearing, convention going trekkie, but I can use Star Trek (any of the series) as a reference. There are a lot of actors who I recognise instantly because they were in a Trek episode. Sometimes it scares me. Last year I ID'd an actor guest starring on something else who had been in one episode of Next Gen. 16 years ago. I consider being a trekkie a valuable tool, and a worthwhile endeavor. I may have devoted hours that could have been spent more constructively, but I would have lost something because I have been able to use so much of what you can learn by watching these shows. Maybe it helped that I was surrounded by more intense trekkies in college. Sure I knew all they did, but I didn't always display the knowledge. I'm still proud to be thought of as a Trekkie.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

I've never been to a convention and I do not speak Klingon, though I do prefer the term Trekkie. I always felt like the name "Trekker" sounded rather elitist. It almost suggests Trekkers belong to a faction of fandom that had risen above the Trekkie moniker. This may sound a little silly. I suppose I've just spoken to too many Trek fans who dismiss the original series entirely and view it as being "quaint".
teegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:18 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by Ne-fehr-ious:
A Trekker just sounds like someone who goes on long walks somewhere.
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Yes, it does.

I don't like labelling people, but I suppose that it's going to happen so I might as well get used to it.