Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2015, 12:58 AM
Extreme Fan

a) I am often depressed, because my life sucks: too busy at work, not paid enough, cannot get a girlfriend.

b) I am often depressed, because my brain is wired incorrectly.

In which case would I be insane? In which case could my mood change to joy or contentment if my life changed? Again, the conception most people have is clouded by the indoctrination that includes the term mental illness.

Randy
My DeviantArt page. http://randicus.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 09-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouyyir i'ch'Rihan (View Post)
a) I am often depressed, because my life sucks: too busy at work, not paid enough, cannot get a girlfriend.

b) I am often depressed, because my brain is wired incorrectly.

In which case would I be insane? In which case could my mood change to joy or contentment if my life changed? Again, the conception most people have is clouded by the indoctrination that includes the term mental illness.
I like that!
Old 09-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Extreme Fan

You like being depressed or like being being insane?

Randy
My DeviantArt page. http://randicus.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 09-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Probably neither.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouyyir i'ch'Rihan (View Post)
You like being depressed or like being being insane?
I like how you put it.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:50 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)

I acknowledge Randy's point that medication just keeps symptoms controlled, it's not a cure.
I do not believe anyone here was suggesting that the meds can cure a person of their primary illness. It can only control symptoms. That doesn't mean meds should not be tried as away to relieve some poor person of their worst symptoms. Never underestimate the positive effect meds may have.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Definitely. I have allergies. If I take my antihistamines, life is good, if I don't, then I get to deal with the itchy eyes and runny nose.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Extreme Fan

Wow. Thinking on the insanity thing here. The UCC gunman wrote in his manifesto that it was him that was sane and that everyone else was unbalanced. That was apparently "his" normal.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

It is true that you tend to think of whatever you're used to as normal.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Bruce hyde of star trek dies at 74

From: MeTV Network | Bruce Hyde, original lieutenant of Star Trek's Enterprise and academic, dies at 74

BRUCE HYDE, ORIGINAL LIEUTENANT OF STAR TREK'S ENTERPRISE AND ACADEMIC, DIES AT 74

AS LT. KEVIN RILEY, THE SOON-TO-BE PROFESSOR SANG A MEMORABLE IRISH BALLAD THAT LIVES ON IN TREK LORE.

Star Trek had an uncanny ability to dream up science-fiction that later became science fact. There is a constant stream of news reports in our modern age of how scientists have finally cracked Trek's tech. The link between sci-fi and science extends to the cast as well. Bruce Hyde portrayed a Starfleet lieutenant on the original Star Trek series before entering academia. While he was a navigator on television, in real life Hyde studied communications and language, specifically ontology. He was professor emeritus of communcation studies at St. Cloud State in Minnesota. On October 13, Hyde passed away from throat cancer at the age of 74.

As Lt. Kevin Riley, Hyde appeared on two early episodes of Star Trek, "The Naked Time" and "The Conscience of a King." The former episode coincidentally just aired over the weekend on MeTV. Though his time was limited onscreen, Riley had memorable moments. In "The Naked Time," while under a spell of madness with Sulu, Riley becomes obsessed with his Irish heritage and sings the folk song "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen." A few voyages later, in "The Conscience of the King," Riley is poisoned while washing down colorful food cubes with some milk.

A graduate of Northwestern and USC, Hyde appeared on That Girl, The Beverly Hillbillies, Dr. Kildare and in Broadway productions. Watch clips of Hyde in action as Riley. Take a moment to sing "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" in tribute.

HAVE NO FEAR, O'RILEYS HERE

Bruce Hyde is best known for playing Lt. Kevin Riley in the original Star Trek series, having appeared in two episodes, "The Naked Time" and "The Conscience of the King".

STAR TREK - SOME SINGING AND SOME POISONING

Uhura sings a song to Lieutenant Riley over the intercom system just before Riley is poisoned (The Conscience of the King).
Old 10-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Sad news. Thanks for bringing it over. I can still picture him singing in The Naked Time
Old 10-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

news...

Old 10-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_diamond (View Post)
news...
That is indeed terrible news. He was totally memorable in that role and had a great career afterwards. We will miss him...
Old 10-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I wasn't sure where else to put this, just got a kick out of it, thought you guys would, too

https://youtu.be/sl-Z_HA3q4A

(Tried to do with the actual video but it won't work for some reason)
Old 10-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I enjoyed that , thanks.

Some videos have the direct embedding turned off by the person who uploaded it, so maybe that's the issue. Or I notice there's a period in tube? that could be the problem.