Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Extreme Fan

I am now wondering. Where is the help that Jennifer so obviously needs? As well as the help that was so desperately needed for Andrew Koenig (Tumak of DS9 episode "Sanctuary" - son of Walter Koenig a.k.a Chekov from TOS)? Is not the world of Trek about equality and working for the betterment of humanity?

Or is it all a farce? Does no one believe (at all) in the philosophy that Roddenberry laid down with the idea that if ALL of humanity was free of greed and worked together that the entire human species would be better off?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

I hope she does get help..

PS I didn't make the connection that Andrew and Walter were releated
Old 09-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGoddess (View Post)
I am now wondering. Where is the help that Jennifer so obviously needs? As well as the help that was so desperately needed for Andrew Koenig (Tumak of DS9 episode "Sanctuary" - son of Walter Koenig a.k.a Chekov from TOS)? Is not the world of Trek about equality and working for the betterment of humanity?

Or is it all a farce? Does no one believe (at all) in the philosophy that Roddenberry laid down with the idea that if ALL of humanity was free of greed and worked together that the entire human species would be better off?
If only everybody could see it that way. I agree that Star Trek is and should be about that better world which sadly evades most of us who currently populate the earth. Our actions do have consequences good and bad. Jennifer needs help to change her way of seeing this world, as did Andrew Koenig, but at least he is gone to a better rest and now we should not worry over him anymore. But Jennifer Lien needs our help and support to get herself some treatment so this sort of thing never happens in the presence of minors ever again. Thats just what I think.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:14 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
If only everybody could see it that way. I agree that Star Trek is and should be about that better world which sadly evades most of us who currently populate the earth. Our actions do have consequences good and bad. Jennifer needs help to change her way of seeing this world, as did Andrew Koenig, but at least he is gone to a better rest and now we should not worry over him anymore. But Jennifer Lien needs our help and support to get herself some treatment so this sort of thing never happens in the presence of minors ever again. Thats just what I think.
Yes, sadly Andrew is gone. He no longer feels the torment of mental illness.

Granted, greed is an evil monster that I honestly think that humanity will have a very difficult time of being rid of. However, within the fan base (of Trek) the ideology is there. If the fan base can work together, perhaps we can help and possibly teach the world that if we work together that life will be (and should be) better for all of us.

It appears that everyone has abandoned Jennifer because of her illness.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Absolute Fan

Which is sad and tragic because she like others who suffer from divers mental illnesses needs our help. I have seen mental illness, I know it and what damage it can do to an otherwise good and decent person. It is time we reached out as a community and supported them and aid them while they are in recovery. Maybe one day they will do a Star Trek episode or fan film tackling this great social issue.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Extreme Fan

Those who are easily offended are advised to not read the following post.

Spoiler:

I hope whoever this person is gets help, but there is little that can be done. She cannot simply take a pill and be normal.

Randy
My DeviantArt page. http://randicus.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 09-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Absolute Fan

Meds are only part of the recovery process. There is also long-term therapy. And the person has to want to change.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:12 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
Meds are only part of the recovery process. There is also long-term therapy. And the person has to want to change.
Family and friends will get frustrated by repeated demonstrations that the person isn't willing to make an effort to help themselves. Forcing people to accept what others deem as best for them is the start of a slippery slope.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Extreme Fan

No offense taken here. It really is about the person in need of help and what will work best for them given that they accept and acknowledge that they need help.

I totally get the point that the drugs companies may be reeling in the children with ADD & ADHD and who knows what else may be up their sleeves. The drug companies are approaching it like McDonald's did. McD's created the PlayPlace, cartoon-like characters & a kid's menu with gender appropriate toys. Hook them while they are children and create a life-long customer.

There truly is a stigma concerning mental illness. It's probably because the majority of the population either fear it or outright don't understand it. I tend to believe that it all depends on what each of us deems as "normal". Example: Person #1 grows up taking a bath every night before bed. The pattern continues to the day they die. It is their "normal". Person #2 takes a bath every Sunday and again the pattern continues to the day they die. Again, it is their "normal".

Well, person #1 could be deemed as an OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and person #2 could be deemed as being depressed.

What is Jennifer going through? Certainly her actions were not what an average person would do.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:43 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
There is also long-term therapy. And the person has to want to change.
Quote:
Family and friends will get frustrated by repeated demonstrations that the person isn't willing to make an effort to help themselves. Forcing people to accept what others deem as best for them is the start of a slippery slope.
With all due respect to CommanderM and Chris, you appear to be confusing insanity with bad personality and/or addiction. A person who is an a-hole can decide to change and become amicable. A thief can decide to turn over a new leaf and get a paying job. An alcoholic or drug addict can realise there is a problem and decide to fight the addiction. Others can help an addict if the person needs it. A mental problem is not a matter of choice. A person with a brain imbalance does not choose to be mildly or completely insane, and cannot decide one day to change and become sane. Nor can others help the person become sane. In some cases the person can be controlled, with confinement or drugs, but that is not really help.

Randy
My DeviantArt page. http://randicus.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 09-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Absolute Fan

To be fair, I was not thinking of those who just have bad personalities in my previous posts. I was thinking more along the lines of those who really do need the help and suffer from the different kinds of mental illness. For them, meds and therapy can be a blessing they can open themselves up to. i take no offense in what has been said by other posters on here. Just clarifying my position which as been gained from experience.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I'm no medical expert, but I think actual insanity is different from somebody suffering from bipolar disorder, depression or schizophrenia.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:07 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
I'm no medical expert, but I think actual insanity is different from somebody suffering from bipolar disorder, depression or schizophrenia.
You are correct, Chris.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I acknowledge Randy's point that medication just keeps symptoms controlled, it's not a cure.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Extreme Fan

Just where is the line between mental illness and insanity? The depth of the illness or being self aware vs. not aware?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread