Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliana (View Post)
Stamets did the right thing, which was awesome, although something weird seemed to happen to him at the end...
yes the ending was really freaky. I am so curious to see where the storyline goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
I really like the new addition to the crew but I don't feel like we can trust him
I agree. I think there's more going on in that situation. It wouldn't surprise me if this guy was working with the Klingons or had another agenda that requires getting closer to Lorca. Their escape seemed too easy. They should have had a lot harder time escaping with a crew of 30-40 Klingons. And the Klingons never managed to destroy their fleeing ship until they were being beamed out? I just didn't buy their escape at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
I don't mind Saru. He doesn't strike me as Captain material though. Intriguing that his threat things started to go up as soon as Michael walked on the bridge.
I agree with you on Saru. He is definitely not Captain's material. I thought that those spine things coming out are an involuntary reaction to a threat. They usually come out whenever Michael is around Saru, before he even realizes she was there or about to enter his proximity. I was surprised when he said he wasn't actually afraid of her. Those spines are not supposed to extend for jealousy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSensibleOne (View Post)
I would care too and try to find some other way if I was in their position.
I would try to find another way as well. I can't stand to see anything suffer. Well except maybe spiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_diamond (View Post)

-So Saru becomes Captain, must admit didn't really like his decisions, but he still got the best outcome
I didn't like his decision. I have always been pretty neutral towards Saru but during this eppy he really bothered me for the first time. I am glad that they had the ending scene between him and Michael because it made it easier to understand where he was coming from and that he understood that he was not prepared to be in the position he was in. So I am neutral on him again.

The thing that shocked me the most was finding out that Lorca had abandoned and killed the previous crew underneath his command while he escaped back to the Federation. It explains why he won't fix his eyes but it makes me trust him even less. That man will put himself before anyone and everyone. How did he get another command and a great amount of leeway in his current command if he killed his entire crew? Unless Starfleet somehow doesn't know that he did that. I can't imagine they would give him a new crew to abandon and murder. Does the current crew know what he did to his previous crew?

Another questions is how did Mudd know that? How does Mudd know anything about the Federation? Especially something as crazy as that. There were no survivors unless the Klingons told him about it?

If no one but Mudd, Lorca, the Klingons, and Tyler know then how long is Lorca going to let Tyler live?

Did anyone else think it was so funny that they dropped a couple of F-bombs in the ep. It made no sense in the storyline at all other than to make it seem like they are trying to show off that they are not longer bound by traditional TV FCC rules because they are a streaming platform show. If it seemed like it actually belonged in the scene it would have worked. It felt like it was forced in though to make them seem like they are more like HBO or something If they wanted to drop the F-bomb they should have waited for a better place in the storyline where it could actually warrant some cursing.

I loved this ep! Can't wait for more
One Thing Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSensibleOne (View Post)
And not only were they forcing it (a sentient creature) to do something against its will, they were also torturing/slowly killing it- which is unethical. I would care too and try to find some other way if I was in their position.
it's good to know that they looked for alternative solutions once they realized that they were hurting the tardograde.

Agree that their escape from the Klingon ship was far too easy. I don't trust that new crew member either. Mudd was helping the Klingons by having the listening device, but he was probably coerced to do so. By leaving Mudd behind, they made themselves an enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)
I didn't like his decision. I have always been pretty neutral towards Saru but during this eppy he really bothered me for the first time. I am glad that they had the ending scene between him and Michael because it made it easier to understand where he was coming from and that he understood that he was not prepared to be in the position he was in. So I am neutral on him again.
That scene really helped explain Saru & Michael's history together, and his animosity towards her beyond the munity.

Quote:
The thing that shocked me the most was finding out that Lorca had abandoned and killed the previous crew underneath his command while he escaped back to the Federation. It explains why he won't fix his eyes but it makes me trust him even less. That man will put himself before anyone and everyone. How did he get another command and a great amount of leeway in his current command if he killed his entire crew? Unless Starfleet somehow doesn't know that he did that. I can't imagine they would give him a new crew to abandon and murder. Does the current crew know what he did to his previous crew?
I know! Lorca is definitely a shady character. I wouldn't trust him as my captain.

Quote:
Another questions is how did Mudd know that? How does Mudd know anything about the Federation? Especially something as crazy as that. There were no survivors unless the Klingons told him about it?

If no one but Mudd, Lorca, the Klingons, and Tyler know then how long is Lorca going to let Tyler live?
hmm .... I hadn't thought of that. Good points.

Quote:
Did anyone else think it was so funny that they dropped a couple of F-bombs in the ep. It made no sense in the storyline at all other than to make it seem like they are trying to show off that they are not longer bound by traditional TV FCC rules because they are a streaming platform show. If it seemed like it actually belonged in the scene it would have worked. It felt like it was forced in though to make them seem like they are more like HBO or something If they wanted to drop the F-bomb they should have waited for a better place in the storyline where it could actually warrant some cursing.
Completely agree with you there. In some situations, using the F word would seem appropriate, but in that scene, it just seemed that they wanted to throw it out there because they could.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Good episode, I start to like most characters. Just saru not really. Not sure if that's racist to say, but he just acts like a typical alien with lack of human empathy and leadership qualities. At least in the end he seemed nicer.

Mudd was ok. He had something of the original mudd.

This klingon woman was the first klingon where I'd say she resembles an actual klingon the way she behaves, talks, etc.

Last edited by Arrakis; 10-18-2017 at 08:12 PM
Arrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:44 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

hmm ... I don't mind Saru, but I seem to be in the minority. There's definitely animosity between him and Burnham. To me that seems realistic, if not professional.

Agree that they did a good job casting Mudd.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I like Saru because he’s interesting. Not as much as a wild card as Michael but not completely predictable either
Old 10-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)

agreed...
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Website Manager

Saru - Was willing to harm the tardigrade just because they weren't sure it was sentient? This is in the future... we have a SPCA as it is now... which really frowns upon animal cruelty... this far into the future you'd think they'd have consequences for actions like this even if it wasn't sentient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
And it was nice to see Johnathon Archer listed on the screen.
That was a nice continuity anyway. I liked seeing that, though given how far it is after that series we likely won't be seeing him on it as he'd likely be long gone.

Quote:
I doubt they'd be as eager to join him if they knew... I wonder about that leeway as well, if Starfleet knew you'd think he wouldn't get another command or maybe even be in a situation like Michael... Was there only one escape pod on the ship and he took it for himself? I need more details... but it doesn't seem to sit well.
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

It's nice to see some continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
I like Saru because he’s interesting. Not as much as a wild card as Michael but not completely predictable either
That's how I feel too.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Website Manager

I just thought of this... but this situation is kind of like what Captain Ransom had done on the 'Equinox' episodes of Voyager... when he was using nucleogenic lifeforms to fuel his ship to get home... And Janeway didn't want any part of the situation. Granted Voyager is more than a century in the future but The Prime Directive would have existed back then... whether or not it had that many details to it... It's not killing creatures, but it definitely could have led to that if they continued, I think.

Was nice seeing Pike listed there too.
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:21 PM
New Fan

Re Ash Tyler - I think he could very well be Voq (T'kuvma's Albino protegé) in disguise. There are a few signs that point to this:
- his story doesn't quite add up: he was supposedly on the prisoner vessel for 7 months after the Battle of the Binary Stars with L'Rell as the captain but L'Rell was with Voq on his ship for 6 months, so how could she be in two places at the same time? I assume she was there for the same amount of time he was since he was apparently spared to be sexually abused by her.
- he was quick to offer himself up to be beaten by the Klingon guards. It could be that he did it because he really is self-sacrificing and brave, OR he did it to gain Lorca's trust. Him going all rage attack on L'Rell for raping him could have also been for Lorca's benefit and to make sure the latter believes his account.
- Voq was told by L'Rell there was a way to unite the Klingons but that it would be at a cost, that he'd have to sacrifice everything; he was sent to the Mokai, who are spies, and he was told he would discover new things (or something like that).

As for Saru, I don't mind him but I didn't like that he was so uncaring with the Tardigrade initially. Then again I guess he was just desperate to find Lorca (since he couldn't save Georgieu) and he did make it up in the end.

Oh and I like Stamets and the doctor. They're cute together.

Last edited by TheSensibleOne; 10-19-2017 at 02:42 PM
TheSensibleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Agree that Ash Tyler seems fishy.

Yes, Saru was pretty focused on getting Lorca back. Considering the fact that his species is a prey animal on his home planet, I would have thought that he'd have more sympathy for the tardigrade once the possibility of it being sentient was raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie (View Post)
I just thought of this... but this situation is kind of like what Captain Ransom had done on the 'Equinox' episodes of Voyager... when he was using nucleogenic lifeforms to fuel his ship to get home... And Janeway didn't want any part of the situation.
oh, I hadn't remembered that.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Think this one is actually my favorite episode might have a different opinion after 1x06

Absolute all the focus on Captain and will stay bias on of it being Jason Isaac

He's so darn interesting and do believe that he's GOOD affiliated to just being a hard-headed Captain that will do anything during time of War think this episode with the new character proved that - there's more to him than meets the eye. Think his injury on last command has toughen him up - so he's good but needs to win the war by any means necessary

Really am curious about this new character that Capt picked up from the Prison

Still very intrigued by Michael but am glad to start getting more attachment to the other characters like First Officer and that enigneer that was a dick but he's pretty cool - having done the spur thing himself

WTF of that last second of seeing him in the mirror as he's walking away
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by we are not alone (View Post)
do believe that he's GOOD affiliated to just being a hard-headed Captain that will do anything during time of War
I want to believe that too.

Quote:
Really am curious about this new character that Capt picked up from the Prison
Agree. He seemed in pretty good shape for having been held captive so long.

Quote:
WTF of that last second of seeing him in the mirror as he's walking away
Really hope we see some follow up about that.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm sitting on the fence I love the character [partly bias on it being Jason] but curiousity and all this mystery is intriguing
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread