Old 05-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

4x22 - These Are the Voyages... - May 13 Series Finale Discussion

These Are the Voyages...

Quote:
Six years in the future, an emotional Captain Archer and the crew return to Earth to face the decommission of Enterprise and signing of the Federation charter, ratifying the newly-formed alliance of planets they helped forge.

Guest Cast:
Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi
Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker
Jeffrey Combs as Shran
Jonathan Schmock as Alien
Solomon Burke, Jr. as Ensign
Jef Ayres as Med Tech
Jasmine Anthony as Talla
Old 05-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

*sigh* I normally try to stay spoiler free, but it was pretty hard for this eppy and I wasn't successful. It was easy to pass by the article in the paper's tv guide, but I couldn't resist the articles I'd come across while reading the paper this week.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
*sigh* I normally try to stay spoiler free, but it was pretty hard for this eppy and I wasn't successful. It was easy to pass by the article in the paper's tv guide, but I couldn't resist the articles I'd come across while reading the paper this week.
:O I can't believe you gave in! I am really looking forward to this episode. I have the VCR ready!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Website Manager

I didn't read the description since I'm aways behind... but WOW, series finale... that didn't take long at all.
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Master Fan

I actually watched this week, and I liked the episodes, though I think they killed him just to kill a main character..

I really liked the ending..

I think that with the ending it left open for a great T'pol/Archer fanfic..yes a shipper till the end.. heh
Old 05-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Hey Josh, it's nice to see you here.

Overall, I was disappointed. Wouldn't have minded the premise of it being a holodeck simulation if they hadn't kept interupting the story to reinforce that. Having Riker interact with the characters as 'chef' was interesting and gave us some insight into their thoughts. All in all though, I found all the TNG stuff cheapened and distracted from the Enterprise finale.

I did like the subtle reference to the title of TNG's finale (All Good Things).

I've got to go to bed. Might post more tomorrow
Old 05-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

I agree about the fanfic, but I can't think of another fanfiction till a I finish a few... And think about it, six years to play with...

I liked both episodes. After watching the first one, I thought it would make a better ending than what I had read about the last one. Now, though, I'm not sure. Either episode could have been a good final ep. I think.

I miss the series already, I do wonder if they did kill him off just to kill a main character, and why does it remind me of the scene in Nemesis with Data. Both of those scenes gave the actors involved an opportunity to show off their chops, and gave the viewers an angsty bitter sweet ending. But were they really the best choices for the story?

~sj

I want more Farscape!
sjton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Having Riker interact with the characters as 'chef' was interesting and gave us some insight into their thoughts. All in all though, I found all the TNG stuff cheapened and distracted from the Enterprise final
I totally agree. I liked the interaction between Riker and Troi but I felt this episode was way too rushed. I know that they had to end the series quickly but I still was disappointed. Having TNG characters there didn't help the pace. I felt there wasn't enough Enterprise character study. For one thing, I wanted a reason why Trip and T'Pol broke up but there was no explanation for this.
celera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Elite Fan

I kinda liked this episode. I think it would have been better with less TNG stuff, but overall, it wasn't too bad. I am a little confused about where in the TNG timeline it would have occurred, and I could definitely have done without the stupid "rain check" part. After the amount of time Data had been with the crew, I found it difficult to believe what he wouldn't know that particular term. It felt forced.

I didn't like the fact that Trip was killed off, especially with his daughter having been killed off in the previous episode, but at least he died a hero. He sacrificed himself for Shran and his daughter, which I thought was a great way for him to go, since that is what had been decided must happen to him. It seemed to be the best "end" for him.

As others have already stated, I too liked the interaction between Riker and the Enterprise characters, though I wish I had seen something prior to this episode to suggest that the chef was, as Deanna said, the closest thing to a counselor on the ship. Still, it was nice to see the characters opening up and "letting their guard down" while they talked with Riker.

I was also waiting for some sort of explanation as to why Trip and T'Pol ended their relationship so abruptly. I suppose it could be blamed on Elizabeth's death, but after the final scene between the two of them in the previous episode, I really thought that there would have been more to their relationship than that.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Master Fan

This episode really blew it. They didn't send off the crew like they should have. I didn't abhor the TNG scenes although there were too many of them on the Enterprise-D, but it didn't make sense. If you didn't watch TNG's episode about the Pegasus, nothing would have made sense since you might think the scenes were based after Star Trek Insurrection. I definitely was looking for Riker's fourth pip, but of course it wasn't there.

the Enterprise scenes could have standed on their own, but they should have bypassed Schran's scenes. it didn't add anything to the story besides killing screen time. I think the only reason Schran was in the finale was because Jeffrey Combs is a great character actor.

I'm still baffled why they bastardized Enterprise in the way they did. I would have rather seen the crew spend time seeing each other off on Earth in preparation for the signing of the Federation charter.

.... ugh, why did they introduce the concept that Tripp & T'pol were going to have a baby after Elizabeth died if they weren't going to write it in the finale??
yossarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Master Fan

This felt like and episode of TNG to me. With Riker and Troi using the holodeck for some oddball reason's. I really felt cheated. I saw no reason to kill Trip off. Why? If they wanted to kill someone get rid of Malcolm....he was a turncoat anyway. I'm glad it's over. Screw B & B. Bring on the Sith.

Icon
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:17 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I had seen The Pegasus recently and even so, it took me a while to figure out that this was supposed to be happening during that episode. Considering this was a season 7 TNG eppy, Data's confusion about the 'rain check' comment didn't make much sense. By that point he was much more familiar with those kinds of expressions.

I loved seeing Schran again, but that whole storyline seemed rather forced to me. First off we thought he was dead, okay I could buy that he was in hiding. Then the fact that he was messing around with criminals to the point that he jeopardized his family? That seemed out of character.

At the end of the previous episode, it was implied that Trip and T'Pol might get back together. I was disappointed that there was no explanation as to why they didn't. Trip being killed seemed to be done more to prove that Trip & T'Pol never did have children than anything else.

I think that the whole holodeck thing could have been a nice tribute to both series, but they needed to let the story play out with the Enterprise characters and not interupted so much.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Passionate Fan

I'm mixed on this one. On the surface, I enjoyed it. I loved TNG, so it was great to see Riker and Troi again, and Ten Forward. I found I didn't mind the holodeck "examine the past" bit as much as I had anticipated I would. (Babylon 5 did a similar episode, with someone in the future examine the affects of the Babylon 5 crew.)

But there were niggles that kept niggling all the way through. I'm very familiar with the Pegasus episode because it's one of my children's (and my) favorites, so I understood the references there...but how many fans remember that? Plus, I still have trouble figuring out the relationship between Riker's dilemma and what he was trying to learn from Trip and the Enterprise crew. Where was the big "should I or should I not follow orders" dilemma for the Enterprise crew that Riker was supposedly trying to learn from? Was it going after Schrann's daughter? I didn't get the impression they were breaking an order there. Was it Trip ignoring Archer's pleas to leave when the kidnappers appeared on Enterprise? That was a much more cut and dried situation than Riker's problem with Pegasus. It just seemed like Riker's questions were too big for what he saw on Enterprise to answer them.

Having Riker be the cook was interesting. Too bad we heard little about the cook during the run of the show. Of course, if they'd made a big deal about the cook being the counselor, they would have had to show the cook eventually, which I don't think they ever did.

I don't remember exactly where in the series the Pegasus episode was, so I don't know if Data should have known what a "rain check" was. I do know he was asking similar questions in the TNG movies, so it didn't strike me as out of place.

In the end, I agree with my son--this wasn't an Enterprise finale, it was a Star Trek finale. Perhaps it's best viewed that way.
Kathy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy W
In the end, I agree with my son--this wasn't an Enterprise finale, it was a Star Trek finale. Perhaps it's best viewed that way.
*sigh* Yeah, maybe that's the way to look at it.

Through out the run of Enterprise, wasn't the cook referred to as 'chef'?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Extreme Fan

i honestly hate it when writers feel the need to kill of a character in the very last episode. i don't see a point in it and especially for this episode. this was definatly a star trek ending rather than an enterprise one. i know that there isn't any hope that the show would be brought back, but even if there was i don't see how i can watch if trip is gone. he was my favorite character. or just knowing that he would be gone.
pacifierrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread