New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2020, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Agree that it seems they're killing off characters just for the shock value. And when they're established/returning characters, it annoys me more.

hmm … interesting if there's a link between what's happening here and Discovery's storylines.

Completely agree that considering all synthetic life forms as evil just makes no sense for a future where we're supposedly trying to put prejudice behind us.

Maybe they'll make Agnes a double agent?
Old 03-11-2020, 08:28 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
Agree that it seems they're killing off characters just for the shock value. And when they're established/returning characters, it annoys me more.

Maybe they'll make Agnes a double agent?
I'm scared they might kill more.

Yes that might happen after all.

Did you notice the xindi mention? I liked that even if it was just one sentence.
lg238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg238 (View Post)
But they didn't kill off tos characters for shock value, I think that is already one big mistake that picard did that tng didn't.
Well let's not forget TNG was a thing of its time, and made many mistakes not least redoing a lot of TOS storylines, and not going down more riskier storylines for quite some time. So is Picard a show of its time, where most shows do regularly kill off characters and have blood and gore for shock value. as does Discovery of course. I think the main problem was killing off characters for little plot benefit, as those characters had hardly been used. If the point is to gain an audience which is not familiar with Trek, these deaths gain nothing. That seems to me to be the big error they are making.
Wizard Survivor
Meliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

No, I didn't notice Riker mentioned the Xindi. That's a nice nod to the Enterprise series. Thanks for pointing that out.

TNG killed Tasha. Agree that the deaths in Picard seem to be more about shock value than advancing the story.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliana (View Post)
I think the main problem was killing off characters for little plot benefit, as those characters had hardly been used. If the point is to gain an audience which is not familiar with Trek, these deaths gain nothing. That seems to me to be the big error they are making.
agreed there Claire. It really annoyed me what they did to Hugh

RumplestiltskinBelle
True Love. Eternal Love.

La Casa De Papel
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
TNG killed Tasha. Agree that the deaths in Picard seem to be more about shock value than advancing the story.
And DS9 killed Jadiza.

^Hugh's death really annoyed me.
Wizard Survivor
Old 03-12-2020, 07:42 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Quote:
And DS9 killed Jadiza.

^Hugh's death really annoyed me.
Jadzia's death was also really pointless and so was tasha's. But denise crosby had problems with rodenberry bc of his sexism on set just like gates. She wanted out immediately and hence got killed off, gsates wanted out at the end of season one and only came back when rodenberry had less of a say in season 3.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Gates also had taken on a movie role. But to me it's a bit different when an actress wants out of a role, as opposed to bringing back an established character just to kill it off.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

At least Tasha and Jadiza were established characters which the audience had time to get attached to. Audience unfamiliar with Trek will have no attachment with Hugh or Icheb. That with the changes to the Federation, and the slow writing style, all seem a bit fan-fiction.

Still if they iron out these problems and put more interesting storylines in I could forgive it.
Wizard Survivor
Old 03-13-2020, 09:21 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Quote:
At least Tasha and Jadiza were established characters which the audience had time to get attached to. Audience unfamiliar with Trek will have no attachment with Hugh or Icheb. That with the changes to the Federation, and the slow writing style, all seem a bit fan-fiction.

Still if they iron out these problems and put more interesting storylines in I could forgive it.
The books continuity is more canonical tbh.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top