Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seive (View Post)

I don't think that Will gets nearly the credit he deserves of being the only man who not only understands her need for freedom, but has always supported her, believed in what she can do, helped her gain the tools she needed in a man's world to be able to hold her own ... including how to fight with a sword, if that's what she wanted (and he wanted it for her, too, because he wanted her to be able to depend on herself). Will did all these things for her .. not some flashy bad boy with moments of nobility here and there, who popped up in her life every once in a while, and did absolutely nothing for her after that first saving of her from drowning (he didn't even know who she was, so that was an altruistic moment on his part). Will was there for her from day one. And he let her be herself from day one.
This!!! So much this!

How is it that it is completely missed that Will is the only one who understood her completely, who wanted her be exactly who she wanted to be, all the time?

I mean, outside of the time that he did let her know that it was foolish of her to go with Sao Feng ... which it was. That pirate would have raped her, if it weren't for the lucky cannon shot.

Will's not flashy enough. He's not bad boy enough. And somehow that's a bad thing.

I keep going back to the time when Will was leading the defense of the Pearl, and he handed her the musket and made her the lynch pin of their defenses. That guy knew exactly what she was capable of, and he knew that she could do it.

And along comes Jack and takes the musket away from her and she's now relegated to clutching his leg like some damsel in distress. Ugh. What an awful scene.

But somehow Will isn't good enough for her.

Know what really cracks me up? It's the idea that Will is so awful because he got her pregnant before he had to serve out his sentence on the Flying Dutchman. How awful of him! How selfish of him!

I find this amusing because of the fact that it is seemingly missed that, should she have thrown Will over for Jack, and therefore things panned out differently, she would have been in the exact same boat. Except with Jack.

Why? Because it doesn't seem to be noticed that Jack pursued immortality with a vengeance. He wanted it, salivated over it. He made a deal with Will so that he would be the one to stab the heart and be free forever, free from death itself.

At the same time, Jack also cut a deal with Beckett so that Elizabeth would be some sort of prize for him.

Put those two things together, and what to do you have? A man who wanted both immortality and Elizabeth. He dealt for her without her knowledge or consent, and he would have stabbed the heart and relegated her to waiting for him once every ten years. And if she would have gotten pregnant by Jack on their one day, it would probably have been seen as romantic as hell.

Will didn't want immortality for himself. He wanted to save his father, and he was operating under the idea that Elizabeth wanted Jack, so he was taking himself out of the way. Will never wanted this. He never pursued it because he wanted to live forever. He never would have willing put himself and Elizabeth in that position. But, he's raked over the coals because, on their one day together, he and Elizabeth willingly had sex, and a lot of it, and she had a son as a result.

You're right, though. Outside of saving her from drowning in the beginning, Jack didn't do one thing for her. Oh, he did make her pirate king, but that was because he needed it, not because he believed she could do it. After all, not five minutes before that, he was saying "He made you captain?! They're just giving the bloody title away!"

Uh huh.

Last edited by EarthMom; 06-12-2011 at 05:58 AM
Old 06-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

^Wow! I wish I had a long, major response to that, but I don't! I enjoyed reading it and ITA with you! I will never understand how Jack could be better for Elizabeth than Will. We even saw in the 4th one, that he doesn't care about a woman and he just wants to pirate a ship. I honestly think he would have kept Elizabeth as more of a "prisoner" than lover or friend. Not saying anything bad about Jack, because I love that guy, but I just don't see how him & Elizabeth would have worked out.

Aaron Tveit is Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Old 06-25-2011, 03:46 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMom (View Post)

That guy knew exactly what she was capable of, and he knew that she could do it.

And along comes Jack and takes the musket away from her and she's now relegated to clutching his leg like some damsel in distress. Ugh. What an awful scene.

But somehow Will isn't good enough for her.
I do so agree with this. And this is horrible of me, but I keep wondering where the outrage is at the fact that Elizabeth was in a position of power, of being the most important piece of the defense that Will set up. Now? Pffft, she's just some helpless little female that must be shoved off to the sidelines while Jack becomes the hero.

Yeah, Will isn't good enough for her.

And you're really on to something with pointing out that Jack is the one who willingly would have left her sitting on the beach, waiting for him for ten years.

Quote:
You're right, though. Outside of saving her from drowning in the beginning, Jack didn't do one thing for her. Oh, he did make her pirate king, but that was because he needed it, not because he believed she could do it. After all, not five minutes before that, he was saying "He made you captain?! They're just giving the bloody title away!"

Uh huh.
This is too funny.

Jack doesn't show much faith in Lizzie, does he?

Contrast that with Will. When he got picked up after escaping the Flying Dutchman, and he sees her dress ...

Gah! What a man in love. He knows that Elizabeth escaped, and that she's looking for him.

Then, when he hears that the dress () somehow told these guys to put in at Tortuga, he's amused at how she manipulated them. He knows, too, that she jumped ship.

Yeah, he doesn't know her at all.

"He's the Elf. He kicks the ass." ... Kida Greenleaf
Old 06-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

Let's just say that we all know that Will was the better man for Elizabeth and always will be no matter what anyone else says!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Loyal Fan

Just showing Will & Elizabeth some love. I'm gonna have to do a POTC rewatch soon.

Logan&Veronica|Frank&Karen|Clint&Natasha|Spike&Buffy|Tony&Pepper
Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 AM
Elite Fan

im never tired of rewatching POTC (-the 4rth part)
Old 07-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Loyal Fan

Was #4 that bad? I haven't seen it yet, I was hoping they'd at least do justice by Jack.

Though honestly, Will is the Captain of the Flying Dutchman & Elizabeth is Pirate King. Could they honestly not work something that awesome into another movie?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Loyal Fan

haven't been here in a really long time! hello all!

also missing Will and Elizabeth <3
Old 08-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I need to come here more often. One of my OTPs for film.

Seive and EarthMom really well said!

Personally I didn't care for the fourth film. I don't dislike Jack (though he had his moments), but there was WAY to much of him.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelia (View Post)
Just showing Will & Elizabeth some love. I'm gonna have to do a POTC rewatch soon.
Me too! Although, this time, I'll probably just watch the Will & Elizabeth scenes.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 08-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I always thought Will was better for her too. He loved her no matter what
Old 08-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Loyal Fan

He was definitely better for her. He trusted her, supported her, helped her, etc. No one else was there for her, or let her be there for them the way he did.

-Love those gifs. Beautiful moments.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That is very true, she always had his heart
Those gifs are great. makes me wanna watch the third one
Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryfan2006 (View Post)
That is very true, she always had his heart
Those gifs are great. makes me wanna watch the third one
They make me want to watch it to. Of course for the W/E, but more importantly for how unbelievably sexy Will was in that movie lol

Closed Thread   Post New Thread