Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Spuffy #34: Because Buffy's Favorite Pass Time is Straddling Spike!

Spuffy Quotes

"...he (Spike) probably fell in love with Buffy when he first saw her, but didn't admit it to himself because he was already in love with Dru..." -James Marsters, 2002

Big Hit: One million people would murder me if I didn't ask, what's it like kissing Sarah?
James Marsters: If I answer that truthfully, Freddie Prinze Jnr will kick my ass! With a baseball bat... and he would have good reason to do so.
Big Hit: Freddie's not like that!
James Marsters: What?! If I was dating Sarah, I would be like that. God! Sarah is an absolute dream. A lead of a TV series has the power to make the set a nightmare or heaven. Sarah has chosen to use her powers to make it heaven. She's always on time. She always knows her lines. She's always wonderful to work with. She's always fresh. She's always jovial. You know, nobody really wants to push her around but other than that she's a dream. Truthfully. And kissing her was no chore!

"Well, I always knew that if you were kissing Buffy or hitting Buffy, you'd be in the center of that show. So I played an attraction to her in from the beginning even if it wasn't written. But I don't think anyone noticed. But I have a sense that that whole Spike/Buffy thing is going to make me miserable for a while. Nobody has told me if I'm really in love with her or if I had a really good dream. I mean none of us are above a dream or two about Buffy you know." -James Marsters

"I think it's a tough sell for Buffy to go out with him (Spike). I mean, he's going to have to work very hard. And in the Joss Whedon [creator and executive producer of Buffy] universe, do you think he's going to succeed right away? Or is he going to be made to suffer? Oh delicious! It's just wonderful!" -James Marsters

"Later we're gonna have another good - oh, my god! - good excuse to have Sarah and I canoodling. Oh yeah!" -James Marsters

"No... I think that [Joss] is finally seeing the world through Spike's eyes, and this is his vicarious fantasy. I think that the fans have been calling for that from the very beginning. I think that [the writers] have been finding ways to get Sarah and I together in kind of a fantasy way, so we've got an alternate reality inflicted by Willow, in which we almost got married - that was 'Something Blue' - then we had a dream sequence earlier this season." -James Marsters

"After five years, there really is a space somewhere in my soul where Spike and Buffy really do live. There really is a Sunnydale inside me somewhere. So when Buffy really was dead and I really was Spike it wasn't hard at all to break down. It was crushing. That's the weird thing about acting, man. We're not insane, but we're paid to use our imaginations as fully as we can. So somewhere down inside my heart there is a Spike and a Buffy and he's very much hoping that he'll get a little bit more time with Buffy." -James Marsters

"He's a monster, but if he likes you, he'd be your monster, and he would protect you above all things. But he is a monster. I don't think women mind if he's a monster as long as he's their monster. Take note guys", he grins, "You can get away with anything as long as it's all for her!" - James Marsters

-So with David Boreanaz's Angel out of the picture, who's next?
"Joss doesn't like to tell us--with good reason," says Sarah, who admits she'd be the first to spill. OK, so Sarah won't dish love details, but she did reveal her fantasy guy: Spike! "When I mentioned the possibility of Spike and Buffy," says Sarah, "Joss was like, 'No more vampires!'" -SMG (Jan 2000, Teen Magazine)

"The thing about Buffy and Spike is they understand each other on a level that nobody else understands her. They've both lived a hundred lives and I think there's a connection there that we will see evolve over the next couple of years where she realizes that he really is someone that she can trust, someone that's a companion to her and someone that really understands her unlike anybody else." -Sarah Michelle Gellar

"James came in for School Hard, I remember that. It was second season, third or fourth episode. It was one of our longest days ever on the show. And I remember he wore these big boots and he wasn't that great at stunt fighting yet because he came from theater where everything was a little more real. I had these bruises up and down my arms from James' big boots. I still tease him about it to this day." - Sarah Michelle Gellar

TVGO: Will you pair him with a new special someone?
Whedon: I'm still trying to figure out how to bring him back to life. I don't think he's the kind of guy that would be like, "Well, that was a fun time with Buffy... " I don't think he feels a sense of resolve or resolution about the relationship. I think he feels that he was ready to sacrifice himself for her, and it was a beautiful thing, but... it wasn't like he's cured of loving Buffy...

"We had a few things in mind with season seven. One, everybody was tired of being depressed including us. Two, this was the last season. Three, lets get back to where we started. Let's go back to the beginning. Not the word, not the bang the real beginning. And the real beginning was girl power. The real beginning is what does it mean to be a slayer? And, not to feel guilty about the power, but having seen the dark side of it, and finding the light again. To explore the idea of the Slayer fully and to see a very grown up and romantic and confusing relationship that isn't about power, but actually genuinely beautiful between two people in the form of Buffy and Spike." -Joss Whedon

"Spike-. Buffy-. Spike provided Buffy with an emotional throughline that she wouldn't have had else, otherwise. I mean, um, Angel was gone. Angel was on his own show. She needed to have someone and making it her mortal enemy was an interesting way to go." -David Fury

"Spike is something special. Spike retained enough compassion. Some part of his soul was always there that allowed him to fall in love with Buffy where no vampire could." -David Fury

"But with Spike, I think that he is -- I think that what makes him so interesting as a character is that there's something different about him. There's something different. When Angel was a vampire, he was this Angelus. When Spike was a vampire, he was able to fall in love with a Slayer." -David Fury

"Being out in the cemetery in the middle of the night with James Marsters and Sarah, shooting them doing 'Rest in Peace' was kind of beautiful and surreal. We were in a real graveyard. And seeing James just cut loose in this great rock-and-roll song was really spectacular. I knew right there how special this was going to be because it was one of the most exciting musical moments I've seen on film." -David Fury (on the musical and Spike's "Rest in Peace")

"Some would say Angel and Buffy really had more of an idealized first love while Spike and Buffy have the more adult, messy, kind of love which is more realistic. That's right. It's not idealized and it's just so often ugly and yet when James Marsters does stuff where you look in his face and you go, 'Oh, my God, he loves her so much!' Ahh! It's just so wonderful." -Jane Espenson (BtVS writer)

"How do you follow-up her romance with Angel? I like the romance with Spike better. I'm more interested in the heat between those two characters because I felt Buffy and Angel had romantic love. Spike and Buffy have something so much more complicated that it's got that romance and all this other stuff on top of it which makes it so interesting for me." -Jane Espenson

"I've been interested in Principal Wood this year. But my number one has got to be the Buffy and Spike love story. I think that is just a gorgeous story." -Jane Espenson

"...I'd stand there with this sock hiding things waiting to shoot the scene and Sarah would come over and tug at the sock." -James Marsters

"In a lot of ways, Buffy's relationship with Spike is the most normal relationship she has ever had. There are no secrets between them. When she first met Angel, he kept his vampire identity a secret. And it wasn't until it was too late that she found out all the details of the spell. Parker posed as a nice guy, but was just looking for another notch on his bed post. Riley turned out to be part of an experiment and half brother to a cyborg monster. Each of these lovers turned into something Buffy definitely did not want. But Spike is what he appears to be. Buffy knows all his failings and if he has any surprises, they are positive ones. It's interesting that this is the hardest relationship for Buffy to commit to while at the same time being the most honest and open of her relationships (she deceives her friends, but she and Spike do not deceive each other)."

"Spike has earned Buffy's love in ways Angel couldn't contemplate. -Hercules T. Strong (Ain't It Cool News writer)

"...what we did want to say was that we could come back to a place of trust between these people. That man could redeem himself." Whedon said he thought that was "the best possible message to get out there." Whedon stated that "in time what went on with Spike and Buffy was very textured and complicated." The relationship, as it evolved in season seven, "has a romantic/sexual angle but not a physical one." -Joss Whedon, FilmForce interview

Spike is the person in her life right now..... What I basically told [James and Sarah] was, 'Play the romance, be proud of him, love him when you say you love him, love her when you say she doesn't love you. Forget about the crumbling world, for that period of time it doesn't exist.' -Joss Whedon, season 7 DVDs, commentary on Chosen

EPISODE QUOTES

Crush
Spike: I'm drowning in you Summers.

Dead Things
SPIKE: You always hurt... the one you love, pet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BUFFY: You always hurt the one you love.

Seeing Red
SPIKE: You should have let him kill me.
BUFFY: I couldn't do that.
SPIKE: Why?
BUFFY: You know why.
SPIKE: Because you love me.
BUFFY: No. I don't.
SPIKE: Why do you keep lying to yourself?
BUFFY: How many times- (calmer) I have feelings for you. I do. But it's not love. I could never trust you enough for it to be love.
SPIKE: Trust is for old marrieds, Buffy. Great love is wild ... and passionate and dangerous. It burns and consumes.
BUFFY: Until there's nothing left. Love like that doesn't last.

Help
CASSIE to SPIKE: Someday she'll tell you.

Potential
AMANDA: Is it weird? We're mean to each other, and we like each other.

BUFFY: Well, it depends. Sometimes that's how people relate. Being mean to each other. Even mortal enemies? (increasingly emphatic) Then with the--- And that leads to no good, absolutely no good. And much confusion. A--and then it's over. Absolutely, seriously, definitely over. And that's confusing too. The over part. Which it is. Over! (catches herself, calms a bit) So, maybe.

First Date
BUFFY to WILLOW: Why does everyone in this house think I'm still in love with Spike?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SPIKE: I should move out. Leave town before it is time for me.

BUFFY: No, you have to stay.

SPIKE: You've got another demon fighter now.

BUFFY: That's not why I need you here.

SPIKE: Is that right? Why's that then?

BUFFY: 'Cuz I'm not ready for you to not be here.

Touched
SPIKE to BUFFY: I'm not asking you for anything. When I say, "I love you," it's not because I want you or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you. And I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You're a hell of a woman. You're the one, Buffy.

End of Days
SPIKE: I've never... been close... to anyone. Least of all, you. 'Til last night. All I did was... hold you, watch you sleep. And it was the best night of my life. So, yeah... I'm... terrified.

BUFFY: You don't have to be.

SPIKE: Were you there with me?

BUFFY: I was.

Chosen
BUFFY to SPIKE: I love you.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 02-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Master Fan

Love the title
•icon by: deep within me
Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneflyCHICK (View Post)
Love the title
It's So true.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

You know already that I love that title
Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Master Fan

Of course it's true!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 02-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Master Fan

That's HOT! Just look at buffy's face
Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love that. HEr facial expression is hot! And I know Jaime loves it because it's up against a wall
Old 02-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischalicious (View Post)
I love that. HEr facial expression is hot! And I know Jaime loves it because it's up against a wall

Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Master Fan

What were they doing?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Are you serious?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
What were they doing?
Having sex!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Master Fan

Oh! I knew that!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Oh! I knew that!

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top