Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2017, 04:53 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyesxx (View Post)
I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right we finally got a sense of what it was about Angelus & Darla that made it impossible for them to let go of each other

It's like their a set, one without the other just doesn't work, they fit too well together
Yes, and since the more I rewatch the series, the more I love Angelus & Darla even more, it makes me appreciate "Darla" episode even more because Angelus is so evil and can't love but with Darla everything you think you know about him isn't so one demisional or black & white. He shows to care for her very much, even in a future episode when held hostage from Holtz in the process of finding Darla without any attention of ever revealing Darla's whereabouts, "I don't trust that you will give me Darla, although I will find her." He was captive and his only thoughts were Darla and how much she loved Rome which was why he was in a holy place, too seek her.

Everything for me STARTED with "Darla" when I questioned Angelus feelings for Darla because everything Angel us feeling in he present time is because of his relationship he had with Darla as the evil soulless vampire. "She loves something with a view. She always love a view." Is what Angel remembers but it's Angelus who promised her all of this. I think it's really the first episode of the BTVSverse where Angelus confirms himself as Angelus because of his feelings for Darla, "what WE were."

Before that, I felt the writer intent was to make Angel and Angelus NOT the same person to not hold Angel accountable for Angel's life before the soul. It was all about Buffy or him not remembering anything or even in "Dear Boy" pretending that his relationships as Angelus didn't do much for him because he didn't have a soul. As I got older, I see things in a lot of different perspective and yeah, appreciate "Darla" way more for the reasons I stated and more.

Sorry for grammar mistakes, typing from my phone because I needed to post this while I had it on my mind.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

ICA that it changed what we thought we knew about Angelus, he did really care for her & spent so much time chasing her & trying to give her 'gifts' - they always kept things interesting!

Also, I love how they seemed to just split up every now & then - she full well knowing he would find her & him always seeking her out, they would always find each other again
Old 08-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah and even when Darla betrayed him. It was like foreplay to them. lolol
Old 08-04-2017, 02:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I know, she just left him for dead & it only seemed to make him like her more
Old 08-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyesxx (View Post)
I know, she just left him for dead & it only seemed to make him like her more
I know. Twisted person Darla taught Angelus to be. lol
Old 08-06-2017, 03:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

She did

Plus, it's also good to see him chasing her a lot, because I think a lot of people seemed to think it was the other way around...
Old 08-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ Correct. And if people STILL believe that, they need to do a huge re-watch. lol

I think it felt that way because later in life, Darla wanted Angelus back. Sadly she never got him so I guess it feels like chasing???? Yeah but no idea how anyone can confuse that..... Darla was the one who even pushed him away when he had the soul and he came back. She never really chased after him.

Even in Season 2, he spends most of the season chasing after her while knowing it can possibly be a trap from W&H. lol
Old 08-07-2017, 04:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I think that people just seem to get confused with Angelus & Angel - it's like they think because Angel was always trying to push Darla away that that meant Angelus never really cared for her & just kinda going along with it....when really the reason why it was so hard for Angel to be around Darla was because of how strongly Angelus felt for her
Old 08-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ I love your observation.
So, you felt that why it was difficult for Angel to be around Darla at times because of how strong Angelus felt for Darla?

I think we can CLEARLY say that Angel without the soul never was and never will be as close to anyone as he was to Darla. And Angel with a soul is always connected to Darla even if he doesn't want to be and they share a son together.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I think seeing Darla brought up a lot of feelings - & those kind of things made him very uncomfortable with how he was trying to define himself. For Angel, he had a soul, he was a different person, he was good, he could love - soulless vampires couldn't love, they couldn't have affection & he tried to distance himself from Angelus as much as he could. I think having those beliefs is how he was able to live with himself, but when Darla was around she challenged all that. He knew what Angelus felt for her, he knew that he felt some of those things for her himself even though he tried to define himself as a different person to Angelus....I think that's why he tried to distance himself from her, & I think that Darla knew that to a degree
Old 09-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree, and it's why she just wanted her Angelus back. because at least he was sort of honest about his feelings for her even if it wasn't love... although as I mentioned, his feelings were pretty close to it because LIKE ANGEL, Angelus actually went to one of the the Chapel of everything holy in Roman, shocking even Hotz... all to find Darla and of course Holtz had to settle for torturing Angelus because he knew that Angelus would never give up Darla.... or when she's dying and he is panicking looking for a cure for her. It's when Angelus and Spike both were looking for a way to fix Dru and Darla....

So, yeah the lines did blur for me because with Angelus it did look more like a evil kind of love. lolol But he was basically the way Darla trained him to be. So of course anything he did was to impress her, and he never truly got over his admiration of her.

With Angel, he tried to surpass everything he felt for Darla when he was soulless but it was difficult to, "what we were."
Old 09-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I do think there are some inconsistencies about what vampires feel, so it's always really hard to nail it down for sure. I guess they're not capable of love, although we have seen so many examples between different vampires on this show that you could definitely intepret as love. Even if Angelus & Darla didn't love each other, I still think it was close as you could possibly get with two vampires
Old 09-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^I felt they were ONLY inconsistent with Angelus to be quite honest.... and I feel they just kept making up history as things went along.
Like Angel and Angelus aren't even considered the same person YET Spike with or without the soul was clearly the same person, just better of course but the same person...

So, yeah I think they never really mapped out everything.
They even showed soulless vampires being in love in James and Elizabeth... James couldn't get over Elizabeth death and felt betrayed over Angel killing her.

Crazy thing is though if the roles were reversed and let's say James killed Darla, I don't think Angelus would've moved on from that as well.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

There are a whole lot of problems with vampires & 'feelings', I still see so many fights about it on tumblr & I just feel like screaming 'the writers changed things to suit the story they wanted to tell! You can't argue about it, because it was inconsistent writing!'

That's why talking about these things are pretty hard, because this show went on for so long, with all different writers who had different intepretations & different motives, & you can't really pull it all together. I guess people just have to come up with their own head canons to make it all work

But yeah, I think that if James had killed Darla, Angelus would have definitely been out for revenge

He would have found other playmates eventually, but I don't think anyone would have ever really been able to compete with Darla...
Old 09-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ I definitely agree that the writers changed things to suit the story and I think the main probably is probably the Angelus vs Angel thing happened in season 2? so probably they never thought they'd have to tell all this story with vampires with and without souls. lol They never expected an Angel show, Spike to eventually get a chip and than soul. lol

They just never fleshed it out.

As much as I love Angel, I felt during season 1, the soul thing was an EXCUSE to get Angel off the hook for any bad thing that Angelus did... the best way to do it is saying without a soul he's a completely different person......

I felt during season 3, of BTVS when they knew they were going to give Angel his own show, things of course changed. And they realized that Angel needed to have done bad things as well.... because prior to season 3, I think everything was about how evil he is without a soul and how he was like a saint with it.

And no, no one else would've been able to compete with Darla, completely agree.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top