Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serein (View Post)
I would say it is rather Chuck's centralization that ruined it though. Nate's main storyline from season1, NBS triangle didn't last long and from there on the boy didn't get any decent SLs of its own. Chuck was supposed to be on the sidelines but got the male lead part while Nate got sidekick storylines, C plots and random gueststars thrown his way.
Let's agree to disagree on that, because Chuck was centralized for a different reason. The writers realized early on that he worked well with Blair, and so they evolved his character to be equals with her. They also thought Ed had the acting chops to become more than just the Pilot villain.

On the flip side, Dan was a main presence for a different reason - as it turns out, he was always planned to be revealed as Gossip Girl. The writers wanted him to get back with Serena somewhere down the line because they needed him to stay central to the overall plot.

This ultimately means that Serena's whole character arc from Season 2 onward was just a means to an end, as she was destined to be Dan's wish fulfillment. It just takes away any significant character growth she achieved without him.

Quote:
Nate and Serena were supposed to be much bigger and have more influence on the show but they never went through with that. It is a shame because they had good chemistry.
Agreed and I never felt the big epic Derena love in Season 1 as others did. Dan was all wrong for her.

Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think you misunderstood me. I never said it is not because of success of CB or Ed's acting. I do think it happened naturally that once they landed on CB unexpectedly and it got bigger than they ever thought it could and Ed did a good job with Chuck Bass. I am not discrediting that, I just think as Chuck got to male lead status, Nate lost his because writers didn't know what to do with him afterwards.
Serein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:08 PM
John Winchester's Partner

Moderator of ...
How I Met Your Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serein (View Post)
I think you misunderstood me. I never said it is not because of success of CB or Ed's acting. I do think it happened naturally that once they landed on CB unexpectedly and it got bigger than they ever thought it could and Ed did a good job with Chuck Bass. I am not discrediting that, I just think as Chuck got to male lead status, Nate lost his because writers didn't know what to do with him afterwards.
I agree with this.

Icon credit: Erin
♥true_crime_beauty64♥ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Obsessed Fan

Serena and Nate were my GG otp, but I can't say I liked them too much as individual characters (though I didn't dislike them either). Part of it stems from them both being the type of characters I don't normally get attached to too much, but a bigger part of it comes from how the writers seemed to just give up on flashing them out or giving them decent sls, especially Nate. So I definitely agree with all of you that his character development was super disappointing. Despite Dan being the original lead and Chuck becoming one as well (Ed was my fave actor on the show overall, so, much though I don't like some of the sls for Chuck, I don't have a problem with him getting a more prominent role), they still could have developed Nate decently. I never understood the writers obsession with introducing 3298392832998492 unnecessary guest start characters, while not paying enough attention to the main ones.
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Moderator of ...
How I Met Your Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
Serena and Nate were my GG otp, but I can't say I liked them too much as individual characters (though I didn't dislike them either). Part of it stems from them both being the type of characters I don't normally get attached to too much, but a bigger part of it comes from how the writers seemed to just give up on flashing them out or giving them decent sls, especially Nate. So I definitely agree with all of you that his character development was super disappointing. Despite Dan being the original lead and Chuck becoming one as well (Ed was my fave actor on the show overall, so, much though I don't like some of the sls for Chuck, I don't have a problem with him getting a more prominent role), they still could have developed Nate decently. I never understood the writers obsession with introducing 3298392832998492 unnecessary guest start characters, while not paying enough attention to the main ones.
Agreed!

Old 01-25-2019, 10:37 AM
just that relationship

These two should have been endgame definitely.

{Kenny Kota}
in love with you dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:26 PM

Moderator of ...
How I Met Your Mother

It would've made more sense than DS.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

i’m forever disappointed that they didn’t end up as endgame. Nate was the one guy for Serena. he was always there for her, he knew the real serena, Nate was good for serena, they both were so happy together, they were in love but the writers decided to write such crap to break them up
fragileღheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 AM
just that relationship

These two had better chemistry than any other Serena ship. And Nate, I shipped with everyone but would've loved NS.

{Kenny Kota}
in love with you dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

i agree they had so much chemistry more than other serena couples. i didn’t like nate with any guest star characters but regulars i shipped him with. just serenate owns my heart
fragileღheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
New Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragileღheart (View Post)
i’m forever disappointed that they didn’t end up as endgame. Nate was the one guy for Serena. he was always there for her, he knew the real serena, Nate was good for serena, they both were so happy together, they were in love but the writers decided to write such crap to break them up
Aaahh yeah

I think it was obvious they were not endgame, especially when they made Nate go after William behind Serena's back, it was a huge breaking point imo. Not to mention Serena always choosing Dan, sorry, I do love my NS but the writing was there for DS (even tho it was terrible for them either lol) but not for my babies And honestly I think writers didn't care for Nate, or Serena But I love them, I'd love an NJBC endgame

Beautiful
Old 02-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree with all of you. It's a shame they didn't end up together and really get the fair treatment.

All right, maybe I lifted it off of him in the morning.

Tia| youtube | tumblr / | icon ||
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:13 AM

Moderator of ...
How I Met Your Mother

The Season 3 finale didn't make as much sense as the Season 6 finale.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ It's sad that I never trusted GG enough to watch a full season finale straight through.

All right, maybe I lifted it off of him in the morning.

Tia| youtube | tumblr / | icon ||
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:02 PM

Moderator of ...
How I Met Your Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
^ It's sad that I never trusted GG enough to watch a full season finale straight through.
Nate and Serena's dads are both toxic to them, yet they love their dads. Serena should've been leaning on Nate's shoulders instead of Dan's.

I thought it was bull**** that when Serena was placed in the Ofstraff Center, she told Dan she kissed him that night, even though Juliet kissed Dan and Nate that night.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top