Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Dedicated Fan

I watched a couple of Junior and Senior short dances tonight. A couple of things - apparently whistles (a la Tessa and Scott's referee-sounding whistle) are very common in Latin music. Also saw a lot of footwork that reminded me of the opening to their FD. I don't know if that would be happening regardless of what Tessa and Scott did last season, but I have to wonder how much is influenced by what they did, and if that actually is the case, it's pretty impressive.

Also not trying to stir anything up, but has anyone else heard news of the Shibutani's not skating together this season? I heard that tonight, but I'm not sure how reliable the source was...I would hate to see another breakup, but if any good could come out of that, for me it would be the possibility of Alex and Emily teaming up.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackysack (View Post)
Hahaha. Trying to imagine what songs Igor could possibly choose to edge out Mysliveckova/Novak for the title of "worst music ever".
What are you talking about? That program was a masterpiece! It was more entertaining to me than at least 95 % of the programs this year. I'm not sure what that says about my tastes...

Maybe Tessa and Scott could skate to a medley of Hall and Oates, Hail the Villain and random country songs. And why not add this song, it's a great description of the figure skating world as depicted by the rumour mill...

YouTube - ‪Joel Plaskett Emergency - Fashionable People‬‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann
THIS. When I read the article I feared that certain posters may overreact, and that seems to be the case. This was on ice network, a US site.
Yeah, the article is pretty much propaganda for Meryl and Charlie. It's the USFSA doing its part to promote them and get people excited for the new season. There's nothing wrong with that, everyone does it. Every off-season, we get reports on how each team is working on amazing programs with amazing choreographers and that they've made great progress since we've last seen them. It's all part of the game.

LoveActually, I really hope that rumour isn't true. There have been so many high-profile break-ups lately, it's ridiculous!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Master Fan

Katie, where did you get to watch short dances, your rink? So curious as to how teams are going to distinguish their programs this year -- a pattern's a pattern, but the Golden Waltz and other permissible rhythms still provided a bit more musical leeway than the rhumba + etc. will.

I should certainly hope that Shibs rumor is untrue, but the fact that it's come up at all is pretty much just indicative of how insane this off-season has been, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogtree
Maybe Tessa and Scott could skate to a medley of Hall and Oates, Hail the Villain and random country songs. And why not add this song, it's a great description of the figure skating world as depicted by the rumour mill...
Oh YES this must happen! Beautiful! I hope you're listening, Marina!

And, hahaha at Jeremy and Adam. I suppose if the state of U.S. ice dance becomes problematic enough, there's a new back-up team waiting in Detroit.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shsocu (View Post)
jeremyabbottpcf Jeremy Abbott
@Adaripp Tessa and Scott Who! The goose WHAT?!?! Psh! More like the flying mongoose! World champs '12 yfrog Photo : http://yfrog.com/kguogjzj Shared by jeremyabbottpcf

Kinda scary!
Ha ha! Nice form, perhaps the free leg could be more properly positioned, but it's a good thing Adam is not wearing skates. Considering where he is putting his weight, that picture taking session could have ended up bloody. I don't really now how sharp figure skating blades are, but if it could lacerate a tendon, I bet it could easily cut those arteries in that groin region.

(So difficult to sneak a peek at this forum at work. The pink background immediately shows I'm not reading what I'm being paid for to read. )

Last edited by SaharaRain; 07-10-2011 at 03:36 AM
Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm visiting friends in Dallas and Fort Worth and there were some skaters from my hometown, as well as a friend's son, competing in the Cannon Open. For all of the Texas people on here, the Free Dance is tonight, however there were only two junior and two senior teams. It felt like most of them had three different pieces of music for the SD, but honestly I wasn't paying as close attention to the music as I was the skating, but it felt like a lot of transitions and tempo changes.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Loyal Fan

Is this joke about Shibs? From there twitter and FB officiall page look like they working hard for new season. And during Canton celebration they talked about music fot new season
Old 07-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

It's not really about Tessa and Scott, it's about their Flamenco Coreographer, but thought I'd post it anyway, plus it gets this page back on the 1st page LoL

Quote:
Pretty impressive for the self-taught ballet maestro whose résumé includes designing ballets for stages from Denmark to Japan and choreographing the 2010 Winter Olympic gold-medal-winning ice-dancing routine for Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir.
Choreographer Luis Montero returns to Fort Worth | Life & Arts | Dallas-Fort Worth Lifestyles...

Roses are RED, Facebook is BLUE.
27 Mutual FRIENDS, but.. WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!!????
Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

TFTNT! I'm really happy about all my favorite teams and their GP assignments. I'm excited to see what teams will come up with.
- Angela Montenegro & Dr. Jack Hodgins
Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Master Fan

Here's an interesting article from IFS looking at the Short Dance after its first year: The Short Dance Debate. Marina and Igor are among the coaches who provide their thoughts.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
Here's an interesting article from IFS looking at the Short Dance after its first year: The Short Dance Debate. Marina and Igor are among the coaches who provide their thoughts.
Thank you! Really interesting thoughts. You know, onn friend of mine said after SD - your dance competitions look so boring. But like competition in FD. (exept alot off mistakes).
I agree with Igor and Marina - SD for me didnt look more interesting, then CD. But pure CDs look for me really intersting, especially Tango Romantica, Paso Doble, Finnstep ect.
This is funny, because a lot off russian FS fans think (or they read this opinion somewhere) that all rules in ice dance changed especially for Igor a Marina. hey need to read this interview
And i always knew - latina and tango favorite dances for Igor

Last edited by fsfan1; 07-10-2011 at 12:21 PM
Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
Thanks for the link, Verity. I'm particularly interested in seeing the circular parallel no-touching step sequences this year.

Last edited by kris9918; 07-10-2011 at 12:56 PM
Old 07-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Marina Zoueva is also not a fan. “There is almost no room for creativity, no way for great composition. This dance is a real conflict with art.”
I can understand the frustration that coaches, as well as skaters must feel, being restricted to the very short SD, but the SD had it's first year, and with time, rules will change and hopefully we'll end up with a beautiful structure/standard. For both comparison (apples to apples) and room for creativity.

I'm excited where the SD can go from here. Nothing but up!
- Angela Montenegro & Dr. Jack Hodgins
Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for the article on Elena and her coaching the Canton teams. A few interesting points regarding the elements they worked on considering the relative importance of it. I am really looking forward to seeing how M&C tackle the Latin genre and the FD for both teams. Knowing Elena, she will have done some great work with the teams.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Dedicated Fan

Hello everyone! I just got back from a summer vacation to Québec. Sadly, no sightings of Monsieur Moose.

That's an interesting article, Verity. I have to agree that the Rhumba pattern for ice dance seems MUCH simpler than the rhumbas of recent ballroom dance.

I don't know if this has been posted already, but this twitpic seems to have been taken in a pub in BC. So maybe during the SOI tour?
Ow.ly - image uploaded by @irish_times_pub

Tessa&Scott /// Larry
Old 07-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerTyger711 (View Post)
Hello everyone! I just got back from a summer vacation to Québec. Sadly, no sightings of Monsieur Moose.

That's an interesting article, Verity. I have to agree that the Rhumba pattern for ice dance seems MUCH simpler than the rhumbas of recent ballroom dance.

I don't know if this has been posted already, but this twitpic seems to have been taken in a pub in BC. So maybe during the SOI tour?
Ow.ly - image uploaded by @irish_times_pub

That's an interesting date posted on this picture. I'm assuming it's supposed to be May 7?
SOI wasn't in BC yet at that time.

Could it be July 5? (Although I thought the dates in Canada, like in the UK, are given as day/month?)
(In which case, I'm guessing this wasn't related to any official business that is right now publicly known?)

Last edited by truly; 07-11-2011 at 01:50 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread