Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecastle (View Post)
This is one of those things that leaves me scratching my head.

I think V/M are genuine in wanting to be role models to kids. What better role model, for girls especially, than Tessa's real-life story? It's not just a marketing dream, it's truly inspiring. An athlete who had a potentially career-ending condition, overcame to win the Olympics, besides her busy training schedule she attends school and gets married, she has a baby but trains smart in order to return immediately to the ice and stand on the podium of the World Championships just a few months later.

What's not fabulous about that? Girls need that kind of role model. It's the greatest shame V/M have robbed the adoring children and youth of what could have been so inspiring and empowering. Instead, Tessa has promoted chocolate, fashion, traveling. Nothing wrong with those things per se, but that story-line diminishes her in its self-absorption. She's so much more than that. The kids need the example of her real, feisty, dedicated discipline to her sport and her amazing versatility.
I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting some aspects of her real-life story to be used for promotion, even if it would make for an inspiring story. But certainly she could promote herself in a more positive and genuine manner, showing herself as a strong woman instead of focusing on her insecurities or the rather limited persona she has chosen to portray (shopping, fashion, Paris, etc.)
Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogtree (View Post)
I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting some aspects of her real-life story to be used for promotion, even if it would make for an inspiring story. But certainly she could promote herself in a more positive and genuine manner, showing herself as a strong woman instead of focusing on her insecurities or the rather limited persona she has chosen to portray (shopping, fashion, Paris, etc.)
Oh, absolutely. There's no need to share anything overly personal and no need for details. But the bare bones: Elite athlete, student, wife, mother, overcame two surgeries that could have ended her skating career... Those are the things the public would know about anyone in the public eye. There's nothing personal in the facts, it's just the facts of who they are and what they are to each other.

Their framework of deception in the basic facts is what screws everything up in their PR, in the way they aggressively market the lies. They're such brilliant skaters and their personal story is a common one (childhood sweethearts). It's puzzling how they decided they couldn't be real in their PR while at the same time protecting their privacy. It's done all the time without resorting to the type of sham V/M have foisted on the public.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris9918 (View Post)
Tessa and Scott have always been deliberate with social media over the years, either through direct accounts or proxies. There are no strange coincidences with them, and this last month is no exception. They aren't neophytes with no understanding of how social media works, how to bait the public, or direct a narrative. Everything about their past and present movements in the public sphere (via both the mainstream and social media) is indicative of them (and the people working with them) carrying out a very specific public relations agenda, regardless of how sloppily it's been executed.

People are free to debate and label things "conspiracy theories" all they want (or whatever they want to call them), but it's a waste of time. Tessa and Scott are big fat liars about the true nature of their personal life together. They've been lying about it directly and by omission for a long time now. It's nothing new. They're lying. End of story.

I don't hate them for lying, just as I don't see any reason to defend them for it either (the public never forces a celebrity/public figure to lie, they chose to do so). It is what it is. I'm not them, and I'm sure they wouldn't give a $#@! what I think about it. That said, I do believe it's quite obvious (now more than ever before) that their public relations agenda is centered on selling a fake platonic personal life to the public. It was clear loooong before they did their reality show, but once it aired, that sealed the deal. The show was a big $#@!ing mess complete with a half-baked, horribly forced plot line focused on selling the public on the platonic lie. The skating was merely the vehicle used to drive that storyline forward (so, so badly and crassly, at that). I find all of that unfortunate, not because they're lying in the first place (because seriously, what the $#@! ever. They're free to lie whether their reasoning for doing so is or is not moronic), but because while they talk a big game about wanting to be role models for young kids and remembered for what they've done for the sport of ice dance, that hasn't really been reflected in the core of their public relations agenda.

I'd like to hope that Tessa has joined twitter with the intent of utilizing it for what she and Scott claim they've set out to do: inspiring kids, celebrating athletes and athleticism, pushing the sport of ice dance forward, building professional connections, etc. Given her and Scott's track record of allowing those things to be subsumed or perverted by the sale of their platonic lies, I wouldn't bet the house on it. However, if her intent is to further those things, I think she'll do a fabulous job. Why? Because she's the real deal. I think she's the best female ice dancer, ever. Not just of her generation, but OF ALL TIME. She's it. She's also personable, intelligent, beautiful, clever, and obviously understands what it takes to get to the top. I highly doubt most kids give a flying $#@! what Tessa and Scott's off-ice relationship is like or that it plays any role in their wanting to try ice dance or be inspired to take up some other sport. What they likely care about is watching Tessa and Scott skate together and win on the ice. That should be the focus. Tessa and Scott have worked with kids before, in seminars and at other events. That's excellent. It's also marketable. Very much so, in fact.

Off-ice situations can also be marketed, of course. They don't necessarily have to be ignored. But I don't see why they should be covered up, either. There are plenty of successful ice dance couples who are not romantically involved or and/or married. That's great, that should certainly be celebrated as a norm in the sport. However, Tessa and Scott do not fall into that category. They are part of another norm in the sport - that a lot of pairs are romantically involved and/or married. So together or not together off the ice: they're both the norm! Why not run with that? Moreover, on the issue of versatility or balance: I think for women in particular, that's very important from a marketing perspective. Female athletes who can show their versatility play a very important role in changing society's perceptions of what women can do in general. Not just athletes who can compete and attend school at the same time, but athletes who can attend school, have babies and be hands-on mothers, hold other jobs, etc., all while they're successfully competing. They don't have to give up one thing for another if they don't want to and have the support system in place to make it happen. That's the kind of thing that kids should see and come to understand, and it can be done without blasting intimate details of an athlete's personal life all over the public sphere.

I'll end by noting that this was a great tweet from Tessa. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a soccer junkie, but because it's a photo of her interacting with kids, giving them that one-on-one moment (no matter how brief) that can make a huge impact. THIS MATTERS.
I don't see how you can say Tessa can be a great role model and also accuse her and Scott of blatently lying to the entire world. First off, that would mean they have no integrity. I don't believe that.

They seem very genuine in what they say. Whether they are very public marketing minded, probably. But does it mean that they are liars? I think that goes to far.

I think there is just way too much conspiracy theorists thinking out there. If I believed what you believe about them I would never want my child to look up to them. Because who wants a role model that lies to the world just for a buck or to up their social standings in media?

I choose to believe these two to be genuine in their skating, their take on their relationship. That is what I see and believe.

Who gives a rip if they choose to thoughtfully post things in certain circumstances. WHY do we care? And WHY do we need to feel the need to judge them for doing so? I do not understand why if their PR people choose to post specific things in certain circumstances, it negates the fact that they could possibly be just randomly posting info in another instance?

This is why I stopped coming here.
Damon/Elena Jeremy/Anna TEAM ANNA TEAM DAMON

Last edited by jayta; 07-14-2014 at 07:57 PM
Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayta (View Post)
I don't see how you can say Tessa can be a great role model and also accuse her and Scott of blatently lying to the entire world. First off, that would mean they have no integrity. I don't believe that.
If you read back through my posts, I argued that Tessa can be a great role model, especially for kids, because she's the best female ice dancer in the history of the sport, knows what it takes to win, and can be inspiring in that fashion. She and Scott talk a big game about promoting those things, but by and large, it does not reflect in their PR agenda. If you think her lying to the public about her personal life means Tessa has no integrity whatsoever, that's your call, not mine.

Quote:
They seem very genuine in what they say. Whether they are very public marketing minded, probably. But does it mean that they are liars? I think that goes to far.

I think there is just way too much conspiracy theorists thinking out there. If I believed what you believe about them I would never want my child to look up to them. Because who wants a role model that lies to the world just for a buck or to up their social standings in media?

I choose to believe these two to be genuine in their skating, their take on their relationship. That is what I see and believe.
You're free to go right on ahead believing whatever you want. But it doesn't change the fact that yes, Tessa and Scott ARE lying. That statement is not "a belief." It's the truth.

Quote:
Who gives a rip if they choose to thoughtfully post things in certain circumstances. WHY do we care? And WHY do we need to feel the need to judge them for doing so? I do not understand why if their PR people choose to post specific things in certain circumstances, it negates the fact that they could possibly be just randomly posting info in another instance?
Shouldn't you be asking yourself these questions? Or is that what you're doing? I'm unclear given how you wrote this paragraph. I posted about the inherent contradictions in Tessa and Scott's PR agenda given that what they publicly claim to be doing does not often mesh with the majority of their actions. If that upsets you, okay then. It doesn't change the fact that those contradictions are there, and they're blatant.

Quote:
This is why I stopped coming here.
…okay? I'm not sure what the point is of this statement. Do you want me or someone else to tell you Tessa and Scott aren't lying about their personal life so it will make you feel better? Sorry. They are lying.

Quote:
I agree. I hate that a big part of being a VM fan involves repeatedly shaking your head and wondering why in the world they're acting as they are. And it's not like you can ignore it, seeing as their agressive platonic campaign is their PR's main focus. We've gotten to tha point where most internet fan chatter is either theories on why they're not together or theories on why they're lying and shamming. Is that what they want? The way they present themselves, it's as if they want to be known for their (non-) relationship instead of their skating. As we've seen, that doesn't work, and why would they aim for Kardashian-style celebrity when they actually have a talent to promote?
Well, technically you can ignore it and are welcome to take your interest elsewhere at any time. No one is forcing you or anybody else to follow Tessa's twitter account, go to her and Scott's official website, watch episodes of the abysmal show of lies they deliberately promoted as a "documentary," read articles about them, purchase their book o' fake platonic celebration!, or put yourself in any position to be spammed by the deluge of bull$#@! about their personal life they regularly shovel out to the public. That's the reality of being a "fan" or "supporter" of any artist, team, athlete, public figure, company, etc. in a free market capitalist system. Choice is a fundamental element of that system, so it's no surprise it's also a central tenet of the practice of public relations as it operates within that system. However, ethics and ethical maturity also play specific roles in public relations. It's not a free-for-all, nor should it be. Rather, the ultimate goal is to develop mutually beneficial relationships between public figures/companies and the consumer/public, and the foundation of those relationships is trust. Public figures/companies have the choice to tell outright lies rather than simply employing clever spin, but to lie defiles the mutually beneficial relationship between the two sides because the consumer/public's trust in the public figure/company is deceitfully obtained. So, just because some of the public will fall for it doesn't mean the act of basing one's PR agenda on lies is an ethically acceptable course of action.

The root of my questions regarding the professionalism of the operation (or lack of it, really) has less to do with the ethical issue, however. It's more in regards to the business-side of it all, which meshes with your query about promoting a kind of Kardashian-style celebrity over actual skating talent. It makes no sense, because what it results in is something like their reality show, where the brilliance of their skating - the very superiority of their talent - was bastardized and trampled to the ground in order to spread a false platonic-focused narrative. So what we ended up with was Tessa and Scott both saying "our skating is suffering, we're struggling, we can't beat Meryl and Charlie because we've lost our connection. Suddenly, we don't even know how to touch each other!" What the hell? Did they magically regress to being six years old again? Of course not. It was a total bull$#@!, stupid plot device they built the show around, all the while assuring everyone they were seeing the real them and a true, behind-the-scenes account of their Olympic year journey. Please. Furthermore, what good did it do? Did it convince some viewers Tessa and Scott are not romantically involved? Oh, it did? Uh, congrats, I guess? What else did it accomplish?

Quote:
Oh, absolutely. There's no need to share anything overly personal and no need for details. But the bare bones: Elite athlete, student, wife, mother, overcame two surgeries that could have ended her skating career... Those are the things the public would know about anyone in the public eye. There's nothing personal in the facts, it's just the facts of who they are and what they are to each other.
To clarify, I don't think Tessa should have to market anything she doesn't want to in regards to her and Scott's personal life just because it would be beneficial for people to hear their story. Just because Joannie Rochette tragically lost her mother and pushed on with her career with the support of her family and friends doesn't mean she should have to market herself in that way, for instance. Same goes for skaters who come out of the closet. Just because they decide to publicize their sexual preference/identity does not mean they should be expected to serve as role models for all the other gay, lesbian, and transgendered people out there. They have to want to be marketed that way. But if they do chose to be, can it make a difference in the lives of a lot of people, many of whom are kids? Yes.

Last edited by kris9918; 07-15-2014 at 12:24 AM
Old 07-15-2014, 07:51 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris9918
To clarify, I don't think Tessa should have to market anything she doesn't want to in regards to her and Scott's personal life just because it would be beneficial for people to hear their story. Just because Joannie Rochette tragically lost her mother and pushed on with her career with the support of her family and friends doesn't mean she should have to market herself in that way, for instance. Same goes for skaters who come out of the closet. Just because they decide to publicize their sexual preference/identity does not mean they should be expected to serve as role models for all the other gay, lesbian, and transgendered people out there. They have to want to be marketed that way. But if they do chose to be, can it make a difference in the lives of a lot of people, many of whom are kids? Yes.
I agree. To clarify what I was saying - not that Tessa and Scott should market personal circumstances but that they shouldn't deny reality, the truth.

Joannie does not market the tragedy of her mother's death but she also does not pretend it didn't happen. It's a reality that is known about her. She didn't go find herself a pretend mother with whom to take fake vacations and pose in restaurants so that the world would think this woman was her mother, and on top of that, revolve her PR around said fake mother. Doesn't that sound disgusting? But essentially, that is what Tessa and Scott have done.

Joannie is inspiring as a role model for many reasons, including how she has handled her personal tragedy. It's known, and it's part of who she is, even if it's never mentioned in any marketing campaign nor does it need to be mentioned.

If Tessa and Scott were truly genuine about their personal realities, it would positively impact their marketing and their example as role models without needing to camp out on it, make a big deal of it, nor in any way make it the focus of their PR. I agree there's never any need for their marketing to be based on anything personal they didn't want to make a part of their PR. The poison that affects all their PR is the basic framework of deception which acts as the foundation to everything else. That they aggressively revolve their PR around deception does in fact bring into question their integrity.

Last edited by bluecastle; 07-15-2014 at 11:34 AM
Old 07-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris9918 (View Post)
Well, technically you can ignore it and are welcome to take your interest elsewhere at any time. No one is forcing you or anybody else to follow Tessa's twitter account, go to her and Scott's official website, watch episodes of the abysmal show of lies they deliberately promoted as a "documentary," read articles about them, purchase their book o' fake platonic celebration!, or put yourself in any position to be spammed by the deluge of bull$#@! about their personal life they regularly shovel out to the public.
Yes, of course (although I never read their book or watched their TV show). I keep telling myself I'll only watch their performances and yet I keep coming back, partly because I'm weirdly fascinated by it all, partly because I really do like them (as much as you can like people you don't know) and their skating. So I'm still here but I know there are people who have left because of this issue. I'm sure VM don't care but it's such a dumb reason to lose fans or create tension among them when all most people want to do is support them.

Jayta, I think your feelings about this are valid and there's no reason you should be mocked for them. I do, however, think it's sometimes a good idea to look at our convictions and examine whether they are influenced by what we would want to be true. You say it yourself, you choose to believe Tessa and Scott are telling the truth, largely because if they were lying that would mean (to you) that they're terrible people with no integrity, and you don't want to believe that.

People often accuse the "lying" believers of wishful thinking but generally the people who are the most invested in a potential relationship are the ones most adamant that it isn't true. I think it's because they have an idealised vision of Tessa and Scott in their minds, of two perfect people with a perfect relationship who could never do something like that. Obviously when you're a fan of someone, usually you want to think they're good people, and no matter how you sugarcoat it, what they're accused of doing is incredibly dumb, manipulates the fans and is not very nice. I certainly would prefer not to believe it but, at the same time, I don't think it's black and white. For Tessa and Scott to act in this way, I suspect they've got some serious issues, an "entourage" that encourages them, a warped view of the situation, an ability to rationalize it as OK. I don't think it makes them terrible people. Seriously flawed, yes, and some people won't be as charitable as I am. But I don't think you have to choose between perfect people on a pedestal and horrible people with no integrity, the reality is almost always more complex.

Last edited by bogtree; 07-15-2014 at 10:03 PM
Old 07-16-2014, 10:16 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogtree
For Tessa and Scott to act in this way, I suspect they've got some serious issues, an "entourage" that encourages them, a warped view of the situation, an ability to rationalize it as OK. I don't think it makes them terrible people. Seriously flawed, yes, and some people won't be as charitable as I am. But I don't think you have to choose between perfect people on a pedestal and horrible people with no integrity, the reality is almost always more complex.
I just want to say I agree.

I don't think Tessa and Scott are terrible people. I know all the fan reports of personal meetings show them to be very genuine and nice. I've never felt they only pretend niceness towards the fans they meet. At the same time, I do think there's some kind of disconnect with regards to their "marketing." Like bogtree says, reality is more complex.

All that to say, there's no dislike or hatred toward them, in spite of not liking some things they do.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Does Scott have a Twitter Account too?

I agree with those who are saying the reality of it is more complex. If they really are together, I can only imagine the lengths they might go to to 'cover' having a wedding one day. Lol probably getting way ahead of myself though.

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 07-19-2014, 04:40 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I agree there's never any need for their marketing to be based on anything personal they didn't want to make a part of their PR. The poison that affects all their PR is the basic framework of deception which acts as the foundation to everything else. That they aggressively revolve their PR around deception does in fact bring into question their integrity.
Whatever the reasons a public figure has for lying, it leads me to wonder what kind of mindset that person has to be in - and how deep the rationalizations must go - to not only look into a camera lens and say "this is the real me/us, I'm/we're being authentic, trust me/us" while knowing that's a load of crap, but to stand there face to face with a person - especially someone who might look up to you - and say those things. I don't wonder that due to having some kind of Pollyannaish outlook on the worlds of sports and/or entertainment, because to have such an outlook ignores the realities and complexities of operating within those worlds. It's because we're not talking about spin, here. Everybody in show business/public relations spins to some degree, and it can take many forms. Some others make the decision to cover themselves by utilizing proactive decoy strategies. The way Tessa and Scott market themselves goes beyond that. They proactively sell bold faced fabrications as the truth in quite a churlish fashion. Even closeted actors/actresses, who are arguably the group in the sports/entertainment worlds with the most to lose if their true statuses are made public, don't go out of their way to deliberately smash people over the head with proactive decoy strategies that 1) are so erroneously designed/conducted, and (2) absolutely reek of condescension.

So, I'm curious what goes through Tessa and Scott's minds if/when a person walks up to them and says something like "I loved your show (or your book)! Thanks for letting us see the real you, the life you live, and your relationship behind-the-scenes. It was so inspiring!" Do they feel even a semblance of guilt that this person bought the bill of goods they sold them? After all, they chose to publish a book and create a reality show centered around a fake behind-the-scenes narrative they insist is authentic. When they promoted both projects they could not shut up about how authentic they were being, which goes beyond any normal "this is business!" justification. Do they rationalize it all away by thinking "well, it's not my fault this person bought into our lies, that's on them, not on us!", or do they find it all rather hilarious? Since it basically goes to the very core of how they market themselves, I don't get how they could ignore it entirely, though I suppose it's possible to do so if one tries hard enough. But boy, what kind of psychological insulation barrier would that require?

Quote:
Yes, of course (although I never read their book or watched their TV show). I keep telling myself I'll only watch their performances and yet I keep coming back, partly because I'm weirdly fascinated by it all, partly because I really do like them (as much as you can like people you don't know) and their skating. So I'm still here but I know there are people who have left because of this issue. I'm sure VM don't care but it's such a dumb reason to lose fans or create tension among them when all most people want to do is support them.
The contradictory nature of it all is what stands out to me. On the one hand, if a key element of Tessa and Scott's PR agenda is to sell the sport of ice dance to a new generation of skaters, utilizing an "are they or aren't they" strategy makes no sense. Not only because Tessa and Scott employ a crass, bastardized version of that strategy that consistently falls in on itself, but also because young kids don't generally give a $#@! about a skater or team's off-ice lives. They're more interested (and rightly so) in what that skater/team does on the ice and whether they're winning. And yes, that includes the expressions of romance in a program. A nine year old kid isn't going to watch Tessa and Scott skate and then spend four $#@!ing hours contemplating whether they're a real life couple or not. S/he's going to watch them and think "wow, they're amazing! That's the kind of technique, expression, etc. I need to develop if I want to be as good as they are."

On the other hand, if (as it appears to be), the core of Tessa and Scott's PR agenda is to set up the public to assume they might be together and them BAM, hit them with the next fake significant other, that's not going to grow fans of the sport. Rather, it seeks to entice people and play their emotions like a two dollar banjo. But generally, people who jump onto bandwagons for emotional reasons quickly jump off and go elsewhere after they've had their hopes crushed or $#@!ed with enough times. By and large, those people are NOT going to pay much attention to the skating except as a means of determining whether Tessa and Scott are romantically involved. When the next sting comes, many of them will leave. Are those the kind of fans Tessa and Scott want to primarily target, and if so, why? Meanwhile, the skating fans who do want to focus on Tessa and Scott's skating, and wish Tessa and Scott themselves would focus more on it as a means of growing the sport, tend to get frustrated and also go elsewhere. So, then what?

To her credit, Tessa did tweet a photo of and shout-out to the kids at the seminar she recently led with Scott in Quebec. Looked like it was a great event for all involved. I'll bet those kids were so excited to be in a seminar taught by Olympic champions. I hope Tessa and Scott choose to lead more of those in the future.

Last edited by kris9918; 07-19-2014 at 05:39 AM
Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Master Fan

Can I be added?

Icon: Si_Crazy
Old 07-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Master Fan

The issue here for me is that you are calling them liars and I do not see evidence stating that to be true. I've never seen any athlete so over analyzed as these two in the sports world.

And I do not get why you need to trash them and say how disappointed you are in them.

Why can you not just enjoy them as a great skating pair that shows parts of their lives. Sure tv embelishes things. These two downplay others. People do that in real life too. Embelish one thing and keep others on the down low. Is that a reason to critique them? Apparently so.

I do not have hours of my time analyzing every movement, word spoken, nor the inclination to dissect how they act around each other, their supposed significant others, or in social media.

All of these things which could be construed in one way or another depending on someone's perspective. It's subjective. Unless you are standing in the middle of the room with these two discussing how to 'fool' everyone, I have no interest in here say or what close friend told you about them. (This is in general, not necessarily specific people here)

I think this thread has diverted from the point of having it here. Loving this couple whether it's friends or something more
Damon/Elena Jeremy/Anna TEAM ANNA TEAM DAMON
Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayta (View Post)
The issue here for me is that you are calling them liars and I do not see evidence stating that to be true. I've never seen any athlete so over analyzed as these two in the sports world.

And I do not get why you need to trash them and say how disappointed you are in them.

Why can you not just enjoy them as a great skating pair that shows parts of their lives. Sure tv embelishes things. These two downplay others. People do that in real life too. Embelish one thing and keep others on the down low. Is that a reason to critique them? Apparently so.

I do not have hours of my time analyzing every movement, word spoken, nor the inclination to dissect how they act around each other, their supposed significant others, or in social media.

All of these things which could be construed in one way or another depending on someone's perspective. It's subjective. Unless you are standing in the middle of the room with these two discussing how to 'fool' everyone, I have no interest in here say or what close friend told you about them. (This is in general, not necessarily specific people here)

I think this thread has diverted from the point of having it here. Loving this couple whether it's friends or something more
ita. people just want a place to go so they can enjoy V/M and their skating but it seems like no such place exists. instead people alienate other fans, fight, troll, and basically create flat out lies about VM its getting really tiring honestly. this thread isnt as fun as it used to be, like it was back in 2010....
Old 08-14-2014, 01:48 AM
Dedicated Fan

Just popping into this thread to mention a random, amusing, and rather puzzling VM observation. I was watching the AOI show taped in Taipei and noticed VM using, at least twice, the sign language symbol for "I love you". First, during the group number, as they did the Goose, they each used both hands to create the shape. Then, during the final group number as they are coming out of the Shield lift, Scott throws it up there, one-handed.
"I love you" hands at the Artistry on Ice Taipei...

I'd noticed him sort of making it during the J&D lift during Into the Mystic, in at least one performance, but dismissed it as coincidence, as Scott's hand is pretty trapped and I only noticed because of this picture (thanks Danielle!).

http://www.danielleearlphotography.c...60766120-2.jpg

So what does it mean? Beats me, LOL. But it sure does make me want to watch their performances again to see if and when they do this again.

(Also worthy of note is how, during the Shield lift, Scott shifts his arms back and forth for a moment, basically causing Tessa to do a little shoulder shimmy, which makes her laugh. And how, because this video is HD, you can really, really see Scott singing a few times. And, because of Scott's bowtie wardrobe malfunction during Hat and Tails, it's flapping around... but somewhere between the end of the performance and the lights coming back up for bows, his bowtie has either been removed or tucked under his jacket. I don't want to post a link to the video as it is 'unlisted', but it's readily available elsewhere and if you are really stuck of course PM and I'll provide it.)
Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 AM
New Fan

That hand sign is the sign for LOVE.

That's right.

Years and years ago (let's not get into how many years) I went to a Marriage Encounter weekend and they were very big about giving each other that sign. I thought it was universally known or I would have said something earlier.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Dedicated Fan

https://twitter.com/tessavirtue/stat...59664384405504

Quote:
Thomas Hardy, you sure know how to ease the pain of travel days. #summerreading

hmm idek if hardy's novels is the right choice to "ease" the pain of "travel days". his material can get very dark and grim and depressing especially his last two novels. but i guess FFMC isn't as grim as Tess or Jude idk i haven't read the novel all i read is it's wiki page and what i found interesting is this

Quote:
Throughout her tribulations, she comes to rely more and more on her oldest and (as she admits to herself) only real friend, Gabriel. When he gives notice that he is leaving her employ for California, she finally realises how important he has become to her well-being. That night, she goes alone to visit him in his cottage, to find out why he is (in her eyes) deserting her. Pressed, he reluctantly reveals that it is because people have been injuring her good name by gossiping that he wants to marry her. She exclaims that it is "...too absurd – too soon – to think of, by far!" He bitterly agrees that it is absurd, but when she corrects him, saying that it is only "too soon", he is emboldened to ask once again for her hand in marriage. She accepts, and the two are quietly wed.

The book might also be described as an early piece of feminist literature (yaaaaaay tess!) , since it features an independent woman with the courage to defy convention by running a farm herself. Although Bathsheba's passionate nature leads her into serious errors of judgment, Hardy endows her with sufficient resilience, intelligence, and good luck to overcome her youthful folly.

Finally, in Far From the Madding Crowd Hardy explores the proper basis for a happy marriage (as opposed to Jude lolololol). Bathsheba's physical attraction to the broadsword-wielding Troy leads to a disastrous marriage that might have ended in financial ruin. A marriage to the strait-laced Boldwood, to whom she is bound only by feelings of guilt and obligation, would have meant emotional suffocation. Gabriel Oak is her colleague, friend, and advocate. He offers her true comradeship and sound farming skills; and, although she initially spurns him, telling him she doesn't love him, he turns out to be the right man to make her happy.