Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Hi Meyers,

Thanks for providing the video. Okay - so this wasn't the strongest VM outing but I will look at the positive - the Finnstep is a difficult pattern and if you are going to win the SD portion at the Olympics - you are going to need a killer step sequence. It just shows that when VM are on - they make everything look effortless - but when they are not - because of the difficulty it's hard to compensate. I know people on FSU are freaking out - but I see it just as a benchmark - the program is difficult. I don't want a watered down version - they just need to re-group for the FD and take it from there. In addition, it seems this is a tough panel - which I think in the long run will be good for both VM and Chock/Bates. For VM - if nerves are an issue - they need to rethink their strategy and take it from there.

Staying positive cuz I am excited to see their FD!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Dedicated Fan

You Tube version, with K&C.

2013 Finlandia Tronhy - Tessa VIRTUE Scott MOIR(CAN) - YouTube

Huh. Watching the SS in the practice, they were pretty close together there, too... still too close in the SD, I think, especially as the end, but there we go. Maybe they're setting a new standard for 'skating close together' during the SS, LOL.

I hope, Bogtree, that you're not comparing too much, the practice video and the performance, for speed. Fancams always show them as faster than the smoothness of a professional. (And I just realized I accidently tagged my post as fancam incorrectly earlier and have now fixed it.)

dtwyyz, I too am hoping this doesn't discourage them from keeping the program as intricate as it is. This is why they do early competition, so they can get it out there as often as possible. Why expect perfection, now? I'd rather have that later, LOL.

ETA: protocols are up. Twizzles were only level 2 (not surprised, given the nature of the oops); SS was level 3. They got hammered on their Finnstep -- level 2 on both. (I thought it looked good, LOL -- but I have always sucked at watching for those key steps!)
http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/r..._SD_Scores.pdf

And some great pictures from the SD practice -- Scott's expressions are, well, expressive in this for sure, LOL. And there is one of their twizzle, and they are exactly matched.
http://lizabet236.gallery.ru/watch?a=FHz-kYyH
Don't know why, but I really like this one:

Last edited by Meyers; 10-04-2013 at 11:53 AM
Old 10-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyers (View Post)
I hope, Bogtree, that you're not comparing too much, the practice video and the performance, for speed. Fancams always show them as faster than the smoothness of a professional. (And I just realized I accidently tagged my post as fancam incorrectly earlier and have now fixed it.)
I'm not saying they were slow, just slower than yesterday. You can only truly judge speed live, but the Finlandia feed was shot from a higher angle, which helps to visualise speed. Besides, the judges gave them very low Skating Skills scores. In fact, of all the PCS categories, the lowest marks are for skating skills; they're even lower than Transitions, and that never happens. It's not like this is the first complex program they've ever done.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, it's just that they were about a million times better in practise. Plus they needed to put out a statement with their performance and that was not it.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogtree (View Post)
Plus they needed to put out a statement with their performance and that was not it.
I don't think they need to make any kind of statement. The judges will screw them with scores all season anyway, because Sochi gold has already been promised to USFSA. Look at the judge giving them a 7 for interpretation. It's all BS. I'm just want them to enjoy themselves and stop acting nervous. They're going to get the scores the judges want to give them, regardless of how they skated, so it's best just to go out there and have a good time.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

I hate everything. I hate the judges, ice dance, USFS. I feel do bad for Tessa and Scott. Something is wrong. It seems like every competition now they're fighting nerves. What is going on? .

What section are you sitting for Nats Meyers? I didn't like what the computer kept giving so I ended up calling and after telling the agent I was traveling from California, she gave me really great seats. I'm happy (about my Nats tickets anyways).
Old 10-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
the only one I'm missing is the double champagne hands at the end of the step sequence
Sometimes they seem to kind of improvise the non-edge part of their SSs. This was one of my favourite moments in the whole program, so I'm really hoping it was more just a fluke that they didn't do it. Scott seemed to be looking at Tessa to see what she would do. Wishful thinking maybe, but I don't know why they would take it out at this point.

One thing to keep in mind is how difficult their programs are, they never start the Grand Prix season super polished. That being said, I hear what you're saying Shayii....I do sometimes wonder if there is a confidence issue happening. It can't be easy to keep being gaslighted by the judges.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
The judges will screw them with scores all season anyway, because Sochi gold has already been promised to USFSA. Look at the judge giving them a 7 for interpretation. It's all BS. I'm just want them to enjoy themselves and stop acting nervous. They're going to get the scores the judges want to give them, regardless of how they skated, so it's best just to go out there and have a good time.
Wow, you're even more pessimistic than I am! I knew there was no way they'd get scores as high as D/W's, but figured if they really blew people away here (and at every other comp), they might eventually turn the tide. They probably think the same way and are putting lots of pressure on themselves to be absolutely perfect, even in a Senior B event. They're competitors, I don't think they'll accept they have no shot until after the Olympic SD (if they're well back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayii (View Post)
What section are you sitting for Nats Meyers? I didn't like what the computer kept giving so I ended up calling and after telling the agent I was traveling from California, she gave me really great seats. I'm happy (about my Nats tickets anyways).
I haven't bought my tickets yet, should probably get on that. I hope you enjoy your time in my (sort of) hometown! Just so you know, the arena is in the middle of nowhere, so you'll have to either rent a car or take taxis. It's a very nice NHL arena, though. Is this your first trip to Canada?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Wow, you're even more pessimistic than I am! I knew there was no way they'd get scores as high as D/W's, but figured if they really blew people away here (and at every other comp), they might eventually turn the tide. They probably think the same way and are putting lots of pressure on themselves to be absolutely perfect, even in a Senior B event. They're competitors, I don't think they'll accept they have no shot until after the Olympic SD (if they're well back).

I haven't bought my tickets yet, should probably get on that. I hope you enjoy your time in my (sort of) hometown! Just so you know, the arena is in the middle of nowhere, so you'll have to either rent a car or take taxis. It's a very nice NHL arena, though. Is this your first trip to Canada?
Yes it it! We booked at the Brookstreet. I hope that's not too far from the arena, but mapquest said it wasn't too far. Also how do you guys dress for winter over there. I'm terrified because I've been told it will be extremely cold.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I'm not saying they were slow, just slower than yesterday. You can only truly judge speed live, but the Finlandia feed was shot from a higher angle, which helps to visualise speed. Besides, the judges gave them very low Skating Skills scores. In fact, of all the PCS categories, the lowest marks are for skating skills; they're even lower than Transitions, and that never happens. It's not like this is the first complex program they've ever done.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, it's just that they were about a million times better in practise. Plus they needed to put out a statement with their performance and that was not it.
Yes, the marks surprised me (except for the twizzles), though a couple of judges in particular seemed to be on average lower than any others (though I have to remember the lowest and the highest are discounted). And I do understand what you're saying; I'm still just trying to be my positive self!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayii
I hate everything. I hate the judges, ice dance, USFS. I feel do bad for Tessa and Scott. Something is wrong. It seems like every competition now they're fighting nerves. What is going on? .

It is funny to think about their Olympics and how... steady they seemed to be, very serene whenever they took the ice. And that had to have been the most pressure they've ever been under. Now, I do tend to think that nerves does play a part. Hopefully they'll find that calm again later in the season.

I'm on the judges side, in the corner. I am a little picky about my seats and so I almost always call rather than book online. I started off online today and had really strange offers -- like, the first offer was for seats in different sections; the second offer was the same section, but different seats. And I was like, how is this happening when they are all event packages and in theory, the seats should all be available for the duration? Anyway, I called, was on hold forever, but it was worth it, since it wasn't my first choice of section but close enough, and the girl was very helpful in finding me the best seats (IMO) available. (I checked later and the 'best available' online for two people was already in the upper stands -- no price level 1 or 2 found. I'm shocked how quickly the seats are selling.)

Quote:
Yes it it! We booked at the Brookstreet. I hope that's not too far from the arena, but mapquest said it wasn't too far. Also how do you guys dress for winter over there. I'm terrified because I've been told it will be extremely cold.
Chances are, it will be pretty cold. (Occasionally we get a surprise in the winter and have the mild weather, but January is usually pretty chilly, and from what I understand, Ottawa even moreso than my area.) But it will depend on how much time you're spending outside. I mean, if you're mostly going to be at the arena and otherwise, you'll just be outside to basically get from hotel-car-arena and back, then I wouldn't go crazy.

Me, I tend to run cold, so regardless of when I'm attending a competition, I wear my long undies just to stay warm in my seat as I am at the arena all day. But unless you're intending on spending more time outside, I wouldn't go crazy (as in, if you're just going from hotel-car-arena, it shouldn't be too bad). You'll need a winter coat (or a lot of layers, I guess... I've never tried it!), mittens or gloves (warm ones!), and a scarf. Hat is optional, if you're at the arena mostly. Winter boots are optional, but ideal -- nothing like stepping into a snow drift that's deeper than you thought, and snow gets in your shoes. But look at it this way: you're coming to Canada, but we do have stores. It's late in the season to buy winter gear, but if desperate, I bet you can find what you need.

https://twitter.com/eelinpaas/status...887232/photo/1
https://twitter.com/eelinpaas/status...243392/photo/1

Another gallery: http://formulaofice.gallery.ru/watch?a=bDVL-kYrx

Another version of the practice SD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ByT28P7HXo

Last edited by Meyers; 10-04-2013 at 05:47 PM
Old 10-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:

I don't think I'm pessimistic. Rather, I'm being realistic. I knew Sochi gold was D/W's the minute I saw the SLC vids. The programs are totally empty. Same twizzles as the last 4 years. They're not even trying. Yet, these programs have been approved by USFSA as Olympic gold worthy. I get it. Why waste energy making complex programs when you know gold is yours anyway?

Sochi is going to be SLC 2002 all over again, yet the irony is that this time, it's the Canadians who will get screwed, not the Russians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadablue (View Post)
I do sometimes wonder if there is a confidence issue happening. It can't be easy to keep being gaslighted by the judges.
They need to start skating like they have nothing to lose, because honestly, they don't have anything to lose. The judges won't give them gold, but they won't put them in third place either. In that respect, they're as untouchable as D/W. That's why I say they should just throw worry to the wind and enjoy this last season of competitive skating.

Last edited by CarrieAnne; 10-04-2013 at 06:06 PM
Old 10-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayii (View Post)
The Brookstreet is a very nice hotel close to the arena. It's the hotel they use for visiting NHL teams and was also the official skaters' hotel last time they held an event in Ottawa (Skate Canada 2008). It's not walkable though, you need a car or they might have a shuttle. The airport is close, but downtown is 20-30 minutes away.

Fun tidibit: There was another arena close to downtown that would be a better fit, but it's now being rebuilt. And it kind of needed it! At 2006 nationals, there was stuff falling from the ceiling and they had to stop a couple times to try to pick it up with lint rollers! I'm sure Skate Canada was very amused...

Meyers pretty much answered your question about weather. I find February is usually when it gets really cold. January is milder, it'll usually go anywhere from 0 to -20 C. Cold for California, but not Arctic weather. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hi Shayii -wow - coming up from California to see V/M at Nationals in February - is hardcore. But an experience that you will enjoy. If you haven't had experience in driving in snow or ice - then don't rent a car - lol - I am fairly certain that hotels will offer some shuttle service to the arena and even possibly downtown. In terms of clothing - Ottawa tends to be humid cold - meaning that layering is the way to go...my suggestion if you have a pair of rainboots - bring those instead of winter boots since you'd be surprised how many boots are not waterproof...bring a couple of pair of wool socks that fit in your rainboots and gloves and a scarf is a must. Other than that - you should be fine. If your feet, hands and neck are covered - you should be in good shape!

In terms of attractions - Ottawa has some neat museums and is the capital of Canada - so depending on how long you are in town for - visiting Parliament might be an idea..

I am glad to see that other fans have already purchased tickets to Nationals...I am still undecided on whether to attend - primarily due to work - but if I do decide to come - I will let you know since I will have a car...
Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Sometimes they seem to kind of improvise the non-edge part of their SSs. This was one of my favourite moments in the whole program, so I'm really hoping it was more just a fluke that they didn't do it. Scott seemed to be looking at Tessa to see what she would do. Wishful thinking maybe, but I don't know why they would take it out at this point.
Scratch that, watching the practices and it's gone, gone, gone. I don't really see why though...

Looks like you've gotten more than enough weather advice Shayii, but as someone who hates being cold, I would bring a hat just in case.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for the tidbits everybody! Much appreciated. I honestly didn't know what kind of clothes to buy; here it doesn't usually get that cold, but for me I think 70 degree F is cold down here (ironic because summer is actually my least favorite season lol). I'm so excited though. Everything happened so fast I was not able to process that I'm actually going to Ottawa and I'll get to see Tessa and Scott in competition (I always forget I saw them in LA when they did Yuna's show).

I hope you get to go dtwyyz! And I'm not saying that just because you'll have a car at Nats .

Anyways hopefully Tessa and Scott can fully relax for the FD tomorrow. So excited to see it!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

From today FD practice.. their SL lift

Closed Thread   Post New Thread