Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayii (View Post)
Icedancefan, that would mean Tessa was eight months pregnant!!! And the video from the Xmas show was a fan vid so it wasn't that clear, but I honestly can't see how Tessa could have been or was eight months pregnant then, gave birth, then a month later was looking pretty slim again and was off to 4CC.
When my best friend had her first child a couple of years ago, she was within 5 pounds of pre-pregnancy weight and looking quite thin within 3 weeks of giving birth. All of our other friends who have had babies hate her. Same thing with my sister-in-law--she was all baby with both kids, and back to her normal, thin self in no time.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDanceFan1994 (View Post)
Yup. I am. Not saying it was the wisest move, I'm just saying it happened. Like I said earlier, I've done my own research. French ice dancer Isabelle Delobel trained for the Olympics until she was almost 8 months in 2009. Isabelle Brasseur was still doing headbangers in shows when she was fairly far along in her pregnancy. And those programs they did in that show? Mostly it was just easy stuff and they plodded along like molasses. A couple of trick little things, but given Tessa's control of her body and awareness in space, they were able to pull it off.

The Christmas thing was 1 show. They did two numbers and the closing. It's not like they were doing something like SOI.

As most of my friends and a lot of family members have had babies in the last several years, and I've stayed with several to help out in the early days to help out, I've gotten pretty well-versed on this area. These days, most woman--if they've had a normal pregnancy and birth--are told that they may resume physical activity, including exercise, as soon as they feel up to it physically. It's 6 weeks before sexual activity may resume.

You use "most women" quite a bit. A 21-year-old olympic athlete is not most women. 21-year-olds are primed for childbirth and most recover pretty quickly, provided everything went normally. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists guidelines actually say that some women can resume exercise within a few days of giving birth and that no published studies have shown that a returning to exercise that quicly has adverse effects—as long as there are no medical complications. Women who were in great shape before they got pregnant, who stayed active while pregnant, and who had no complications during pregnancy are most likely to be the ones who can get back to regular workouts soon after birth.

Not every woman is the same. Not every woman has the same pregnancy, childbirth, or post-partum experience. What applies to one isn't going to apply to others. Most women might not resume exercise until 6 weeks. some women are back to it not long after brith. For reference, Katia Gordeeva was back on the ice 19 days after giving birth to Daria at, I think, age 20. Isabelle Delobel, who was 31, was back on the ice just several weeks after giving birth as well. I'm thinking that for comparison purposes of how fast one can get back on the ice, Gordeeva and Delobel (even though she was a full decade older) are Tessa's cohort, not a vague group of "most women."

Yup, again, I do think it's absolutely possible. Tessa Virtue is an amazing, amazing skater. Think about what she did in 2009 after the first surgery when they were barely able to train because she was still in so much pain?

And, again, see the above. Some woman, provided they had no complications, are able to resume exercise shortly after birth and no published studies have shown that there was an adverse risk. Your statement about signifcant risk and causing physical problems later on is not a blanket statement that applies to all situations.

Like I said, I've done my own research on this stuff.

Yes, Meryl has always been thin--I've been watching a lot of older performances as of late--and has a more slight frame. That said, she hasn't always been so thin that her joints are the widest parts of her body, and that is not good.

omg this whole Tessa gave birth thread is making me soooo excited and looking forward to when they will come out as a couple and show their baby off....but I am still kind of shocked and wondering if that whole thing is true......
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Dedicated Fan

Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Lol I…I just can't anymore. Sigh…

Also I apologize in advance if I'm wrong, but why do I have a feeling ILoveT&SFOREVER, this is all a big joke to you and you're just here to mess with people. You don't happen to be iNap, right?

Last edited by Shayii; 04-02-2013 at 06:52 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM
New Fan

Quote:
agreed
~"Behind the media, the hype, the rankings, the records, there is a little girl who lived for the chance to skate. Before you put on that dress tonight, Remember that girl that fell in love with this sport. Fell in love the day she touched the ice."~

Shannon
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM
New Fan

Thank you Meyers for all the wonderful pictures and reports!

It's so appreciated.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 PM
New Fan

Quote:

Also I apologize in advance if I'm wrong, but why do I have a feeling ILoveT&SFOREVER, this is all a big joke to you and you're just here to mess with people. You don't happen to be iNap, right?

to be honest with you I dont know who INAP is and I am new to this forum and I am just enjoying the whole thread and discussion that people are posting and its just fascinating to hear other peoples opinions thats all. I am sorry if that makes anyone uncomfortable
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
IKR. This is a pointless argument because if you really believe, IceDanceFan, that Tessa and Scott performed 3 programs in a show while she was 8 to 9 months pregnant, than there is nothing I or anyone else can say that is going to convince you otherwise.

For the record though, Katia Gordeeva stopped skating 4 months into her pregnancy. She did resume skating 19 days later, but it was very light training. They didn't even start rehearsals for Stars on Ice until later that october, and they wouldn't compete again for a long time.

Also Isabelle Delobel wasn't back competing until 4 months after she gave birth. I will leave a quote from this lovely article about her that I read a long time ago here:

Quote:
A four-month timetable for returning to elite competition after childbirth is far more compressed than usual but not without precedent. Laura Flessel, a French fencing star, won a silver at the world championship four months after giving birth. The tennis player Lindsay Davenport returned to the tour just under three months after giving birth to her first child. But there has been no one quite like Delobel in figure skating, the closest perhaps being the Canadian pairs skater Kristy Sargeant, who returned to competition within a year.

“In the Canadian military, there have been some studies done, and it is three to four months to reach prepregnancy physical levels with an uncomplicated pregnancy in a fit person,” said Julia Alleyne, the chief medical adviser for Skate Canada, who has written extensively on exercise and pregnancy. “Certainly anything under 12 weeks just doesn’t work.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/sp...ncer.html?_r=0

So you want us to compare Tessa to other pregnant figure skaters like Katia and Isabelle. Well, okay, the timeline still doesn't work. Not even close. It simply does not make sense to me how pregnancy and childbirth is somehow a more plausible explamation for their 2011 season than, say, Tessa having to undergo a second surgery due to a chronic condition that had been causing her pain for years prior.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddylyn90210 (View Post)
IKR. This is a pointless argument because if you really believe, IceDanceFan, that Tessa and Scott performed 3 programs in a show while she was 8 to 9 months pregnant, than there is nothing I or anyone else can say that is going to convince you otherwise.

For the record though, Katia Gordeeva stopped skating 4 months into her pregnancy. She did resume skating 19 days later, but it was very light training. They didn't even start rehearsals for Stars on Ice until later that october, and they wouldn't compete again for a long time.
Actually, Katia and Sergei competed (and defended their championship title) at the World Professional Figure Skating Championships in December 1991.

Also, I'm not picking a "team" here, but JMO, a pregnant pairs skater would have to quit skating earlier than a pregnant ice dancer. There's no way to avoid the throw jumps and overhead lifts required in pairs, while there's a lot you can do in dance to make things safer/easier.

Last edited by CarrieAnne; 04-02-2013 at 07:44 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM
New Fan

I completely understand and respect the reasons and explanations for the pregnancy, but it's just my feeling that it's highly unlikely.

First of all, a baby requires so much attention and care, something that it doesn't appear that Tessa and Scott have the time for. Look at their training schedules, their time spent away at competitions. Kate and Alma, and often even the dads attend them, so who's taking care of the child then? As for Kate Virtue living with Tessa. First of all, it's not too odd for a 23 year old to live with her mom. Also, that living arrangement began when Tessa was 15/16, when she definitely needed someone there. Maybe her mom's created a living there, and simply has no reason to move back for now. And as much as Scott and Tessa act like a married couple, they don't seem to me like parents. I just don't see the look that I see in so many new parents, the "Wow, we just created a human together" glow. Plus all of the medical/physiological reasons that people have stated.

I do think that yes, theoretically, it's possible. But the analysis seems like a stretch, and too far out there for me to take as solid justification. I do hope that regardless, they can one day have a beautiful child who twizzles out of the womb Disregarding the fact that that would hurt like heck for Tessa lol
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 PM
New Fan

Quote:
So you want us to compare Tessa to other pregnant figure skaters like Katia and Isabelle. Well, okay, the timeline still doesn't work. Not even close. It simply does not make sense to me how pregnancy and childbirth is somehow a more plausible explamation for their 2011 season than, say, Tessa having to undergo a second surgery due to a chronic condition that had been causing her pain for years prior.
I did read that article myself when it came out in 2009. Here's the thing about the human body: every once in awhile, something happens that defies what we think is possible or previously believed. Something happens that changes our previous understanding. That's how science works. Someone survives an accident or something else they shouldn't have. A small child survives being infected with rabies. A man is cured of AIDS when he receives a bone marrow transplant from someone with genetic immunity to the disease (lacking the cell-surface receptor needed for the virus to enter T-cells). There is always an exception to the rule every now and then when it comes to the human body. Heck, moving away from medicine, in tge 90's there was a peer-viewed journal article stated that it would be physically impossible to do a quad lutz or quad flip. Brandon Mroz has landed and been credited for the quad lutz in competition and I think maybe Takahashi can do or could do the quad flip in practice at one point.

Like I've said I don't know how many times now, I've done my own research into all of this. The timeline works for me, and IMO, it is totally a plausible thing for Tessa to have been back on the ice that soon. Certainly though, it was an incredibly rare and remarkable feat.

Clearly, we're not going to agree on this. You're entitled to your own thoughts about all of this, just like I'm entitled to mine. Let's see where we're at with this in a year or so.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:

i am thoroughly convinced that a majority of these new people are trolls trying to stir shlt

really im just gonna ignore them

if you guys still wanna talk about this maybe you should pm eachother.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Like I've said I don't know how many times now, I've done my own research into all of this. The timeline works for me, and IMO, it is totally a plausible thing for Tessa to have been back on the ice that soon. Certainly though, it was an incredibly rare and remarkable feat.
Well, I'm glad it works for you. Unfortunately it does not work for anyone else in the medical and athletic community.

I do agree that we should probably leave it at that because its obvious that no one's mind is going to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne (View Post)
Actually, Katia and Sergei competed (and defended their championship title) at the World Professional Figure Skating Championships in December 1991.
1992, you mean? Yes they did. Granted I have never seen these championships because they ended while I was still really young, but it is my understanding that the technical content of these programs was at a much lower level, and skaters had the freedom to decide how difficult they wanted to make their program. And anyways Katia still had double the time Tessa would have had to prepare. So the point remains the same.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Well, I'm glad it works for you. Unfortunately it does not work for anyone else in the medical and athletic community.
That's a mighty wide circle of acquaintances you have.

Quote:
“In the Canadian military, there have been some studies done, and it is three to four months to reach prepregnancy physical levels with an uncomplicated pregnancy in a fit person,” said Julia Alleyne, the chief medical adviser for Skate Canada, who has written extensively on exercise and pregnancy. “Certainly anything under 12 weeks just doesn’t work.”
It would be interesting to know how the study defines this. Recovery of fitness levels would be a process, a woman wouldn't just wait around 4 months and then magically be able to do things again. So if we define Tessa's "prepregnancy physical level" as being able to skate a FD at full tilt, you can see by the end of the skate at Worlds that she wasn't quite there. The FD was April 30 because of the Japan earthquake/tsunami.

I also think it's relevant to bring up Kaitlyn Weaver's broken ankle. I can't find a an article, so I'm wondering if she said it during a TV interview - but her doctors told her it was extremely unlikely she'd be able to compete at Worlds. They placed 5th, even with reworked programs.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:08 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by binker (View Post)
i am thoroughly convinced that a majority of these new people are trolls trying to stir shlt

really im just gonna ignore them

if you guys still wanna talk about this maybe you should pm eachother.

I am just here to talk about Tessa and Scott and their skating or whatever else that comes with it that interests the fans thats all I am not here to cause trouble and I resent the fact that someone is calling me a troll thats trying to stir **** its a discussion thats all and if someone does not wanna participate they dont have to. i love Tessa and Scott and their skating and I admire them as people just like the rest of you on this board so there is no point in creating drama and putting people down
Closed Thread   Post New Thread