Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne (View Post)
The worst is, why the heck are Meryl's Canadian ties touted by a freaking Canadian reporter, especially one that has been covering V/M forever.
Well, one of the Canadian media's favourite pastimes is claiming various celebrities as sort-of-Canadian. Like an actor who spent a few months in Canada as a teenager, or whose great-uncle was born here. It's a little ridiculous. So since it's highly likely D/W will win, let's claim Meryl as one of our own! That way we can share her accomplishments. Or something.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayii (View Post)
Lol I don't think enough people follow figure skating for it to end up in a scandal, unless if you mean just in the figure skating world.

But anyways now I'm starting to worry. You guys don't think there's some kind of injury? Also there was that rumor at the beginning of the week saying they might retire after Worlds. And the lack of support (IMO) from the commentators on the CBC recap of 4CC. Maybe they all know something we don't . Tessa and Scott themselves haven't said anything since 4CC.
Hi Shayii - I wouldn't push the panic button yet. V/M have always played it close to the vest when it comes to injuries and tend to go into a bubble prior to Worlds...I wasn't too crazy about the lack of support from the commentators on the CBC recap at 4CC either but hey I would have been more upset if D/W had actually won the SD segment at 4CCs..(even though - I think V/M's lead should have been bigger at 4CCs).
Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne (View Post)
Even if V/M were going to withdraw from this year's Worlds, that isn't a reason for SC to eff up their PR in this way. Worlds is in Canada! Do they think writing about Meryl Davis is going to bring in the fans the Canadian fans the Federation needs? Is that the best way to bring in new Canadian fans and people into the sport? To ignore your Olympic and World champions in favor of their rivals??? What kind of idiots are running the place???
CarrieAnne - In terms of idiots - the same idiots who thought that Debbi Wilkes and Liz Manley providing in-house commentary (for the entire arena to hear) was appropriate and professional during Skate Canada even before scores were announced...
Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM
New Fan

I know I just railed about the lack of good PR for V/M.

But Worlds isn't here yet, maybe there will be some good stuff coming out in the next week or so. Really, this article on Meryl is not anything against V/M and it's a nice article on its own merits. I'm more upset about the general sloppy PR on V/M, not about this article per se.

Just wanted to clarify.

And after venting, I'll wait and see what next week brings. It might be good, you never know.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyyz (View Post)
Hi Shayii - I wouldn't push the panic button yet. V/M have always played it close to the vest when it comes to injuries and tend to go into a bubble prior to Worlds...I wasn't too crazy about the lack of support from the commentators on the CBC recap at 4CC either but hey I would have been more upset if D/W had actually won the SD segment at 4CCs..(even though - I think V/M's lead should have been bigger at 4CCs).
Okay, but IDK things just seem off or weird.

Bluecastle I agree with you. They have the worst PR in the world. I know they like their privacy and we're the ones, as fans, that are supposed to do our research, but come on! Like even that website we all were excited about months ago, really isn't that great when you compare it to other athletes/skaters' websites.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecastle (View Post)
I know I just railed about the lack of good PR for V/M.

But Worlds isn't here yet, maybe there will be some good stuff coming out in the next week or so. Really, this article on Meryl is not anything against V/M and it's a nice article on its own merits. I'm more upset about the general sloppy PR on V/M, not about this article per se.

Just wanted to clarify.

And after venting, I'll wait and see what next week brings. It might be good, you never know.
Hoping that next week we have more articles on Canadian skaters from this guy - maybe even one on Kevin Reynolds (okay I am not his biggest fan) - but the guy did win 4CC over team Japan...

ETA: Totally forgot about the documentary - Blood, Sweat and Tears on CBC next week

Last edited by dtwyyz; 03-01-2013 at 10:21 PM
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Dedicated Fan

shlt i think that shltty lfp article on meryl almost gave my computer a virus or something
i dont think ill ever be reading lfp again
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayii (View Post)
Okay, but IDK things just seem off or weird.

Bluecastle I agree with you. They have the worst PR in the world. I know they like their privacy and we're the ones, as fans, that are supposed to do our research, but come on! Like even that website we all were excited about months ago, really isn't that great when you compare it to other athletes/skaters' websites.
No. They totally can have functioning websites, etc., and still have complete privacy. It's called having a competent PR team/agent. See Kristi Yamaguchi, Kurt Browning, and every other famous figure skater who wasn't crazy.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

i think we need a new thread lol
Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyyz (View Post)
Well - let's see if the London Free Press does an article with either Weaver/Poje or Moore-Towers/Moscovitch considering that both teams have strong ties to the Kitchener/Waterloo area. Judging from the article, you would think that Meryl is actually more Canadian than Tanith Belbin - and really why divulge this information now? If Meryl has such strong ties to Canada - why weren't they mentioned during the Olympics in Vancouver? I am trying not to be cynical here - but you never know perhaps next year prior to Sochi - Meryl will divulge that she has Russian blood in her as well?
Last year even though V/M won 4CCs - they were still considered the underdogs going into Nice. I still have faith and wishing them positive vibes for Worlds...
Before OG her father will bought article about how she learned russian with her future husband (Fedor), how she is close with russian comminity in Detroit and how this two dream to re-move to Russia after she will retire
Thanks for support, guys, because i wasnr sure could i express my feelings
As for V-M injury and retierment. First of all i think this all rumors started, because a lot off haters were happy with wjat happened at 4CC.
But if Tessa want to retier- its OK. But WCh will be in there home. So they must be there - on or off ice. I am sure they will made great job, if they will meet fans, made some sponsors meetings ect. No matter will they compete ot no.
Then i am sure who in London cares about others (i mean people, who isnt very close to FS world) if London have there own OGM?
Then, i thin tickets were slod-out already. If no - i am not sure it will be big difference, if V-M will made WCh PR or no. So i think they could be free to made any kind of announsment, But i am sure they will comepete, If so - didnt they deserve more support for all they did for SC? I think they still only 1 JWCh from Canada, i am not sure Canada will have OGM soon after V-M. Or mybe never will - who knows?
The commentators reaction was like - Tessa, why you stop, we need gold, what are you doing/ Poor Scott. I cant be OK with this. Any support, any word off support....
And for me look, like Tracy every time changed, when she saw D-W

Quote:
Also, for those of you who don't follow juniors, the French team stopped during the free dance and also had a number of errors, yet finished only four points behind the favourites with high pcs. Sound familiar? Strangely enough, there has been no outcry.

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron - 2013 World Junior Championships - FD - YouTube
I like this too. I cant say i love Gabriella lines (especially legs lines), but they really feel the music and could dance.
I feel sorry for her and hope she will be OK soon.
I read on Russian message board a lot off angry comments, about they ley her stop and that Aldridge-Eaton must be hogher, then P-C. But i am agree with British Eurosport commentators - when team from USA have more traditional FD, P-C show something fresh.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Loyal Fan

I couldnt now open this article. Could you tell me, please, what comments D-W ubers dont like?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 AM
New Fan

My feeling on that Meryl LFP article is that their agent must have worked overtime to get this article published.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread