Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm so glad that posters here feel comfortable enough to say what they really feel, even if they may anticipate backlash (myself included - which sometimes I guess I hold back too). And what's greater - is that we're able to have a truly friendly discussion, we're able to agree to disagree. And that's seriously why I genuinely love this thread and everyone in it!

One thing though - if they were truly an off ice couple, their off ice behavior would exude more of a 'buddy, buddy' feel rather than the 'romantic' feel. No matter how good an actor you are, sometimes you cannot fake that chemistry. But, what do I know?

The body butter thing..lol! Though I must admit, slightly awkward.

I really liked Tessa's SOI FD dress; personally it suits the dance better. It feels more Latin to me. Tessa must really love pink (ex: her Olympic FD dress that never got used, her Charleston FD dress, her 2011 4CC dress, etc). But gold is just as sexy. My favorite part of their FD was their 'Temptation' sequence/the 'slower' part of the dance (it really enhanced the music).

All the pictures posted lately, they look good! And happy that the season's over. It's nice to see them off the ice (I especially loved the lifts off ice - not gonna lie, I was hoping to see the 'Temptation lift' since it's really hard to go against gravity), and to see Tessa with her hair down.
- Angela Montenegro & Dr. Jack Hodgins
Dance_Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

hey Liz, sorry I meant to thank you for your review!!

Quote:
And Anne, I think the issue with homophobia in figure skating can be somewhat convoluted. I'm not sure the problem is so much about skaters feeling like they need to stay closeted around other skaters, or even perhaps members of their federations, so much as the issue has more to do with how the sport is marketed and what groups are being targeted as a potential fan-base. Figure skating tends to be associated (in a very general sense) with women and a lot of gay men, even though there's a good number of straight men in the sport. There has always been a lot of chatter about professional skating shows in particular (SOI included) preferring gay skaters to stay in the closet, and gay skaters that are out to the public have complained that their opportunities dried up after they came out. Apparently, Johnny Weir discussed some of this in his book, though I haven't read it so I'm not sure what he talked about exactly.

Skate Canada was crucified in the media a few years ago for encouraging their skaters to play up the fact that the sport is very athletic and that they get injured and work very hard, in an effort to bring in more hockey-loving male fans to the fold. And skaters talked to the press about how they were encouraged to tone down their costumes and what not. That part of their marketing scheme was particularly targeted by gay right's groups, who labeled it homophobic, and Skate Canada had to go on the defensive about it, announcing that they're anything but a homophobic organization.

It seems that skaters lie because (1) they don't want their private lives made public (and their fellow skaters help them out with that at times) which is perfectly understandable, (2) or they surmise that they (sadly) might lose fans or endorsement deals.
thanks Kris....I appreciate the clarification....I remember reading somewhere (sorry if it's someone on here, I can't remember who to credit) that it wasn't so much that it was bad to promote it being a tough sport, but that the tone was that tough couldn't equal gay, and if that was the case, then it rightly was criticized.....and it would be cool and possibly easier for everyone (and probably more successful) if their marketing plan accepted that it's ok for women and gay men to like things that most straight men don't....I actually thought the recent blog entry about this was really good

I especially think targeting male hockey fans is truly bizarre and I think Battle of the Blades has proved this....there have been some criticism that it was part of Skate Canada's strategy to begin with (I don't know if that was the case or not) and it HAS been successful in that the hockey players really do end up appreciating the guts and skating skills of the women, and will say so....but that doesn't mean that scores of hockey's male fans are watching the show or suddenly caring about figure skating....news highlights of Eric Radford's broken nose can have the same fleeting effect

it is a popular show in Canada because it is a venue for old skaters that fans have sentimental feelings for, because these types of reality shows are popular and it adds another dimension for the celebs to be able to skate very well right off, and that it's fun to watch hockey players realize how hard the sport is and squirm with trying to be graceful and artistic (Rex Harrington teaching them ballet? best BotB moment EVER!!) but all of these things still speak to the original base of figure skating, at least in terms of long term viewership....if anything it highlights that there are aspects of figure skating that even these mostly eccentric hockey players feel uncomfortable with.....and that's ok! I don't like playing team sports - all sports don't have to appeal to all sports fans

(regarding BotB, I also keep thinking Scott's going to have a major crisis when they go pro and are offered a spot on BotB ie "I could hang out with and coach my hockey heroes......but then I have to let one of them touch Tessa!?!?!?!?!")
canadablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadablue (View Post)
(regarding BotB, I also keep thinking Scott's going to have a major crisis when they go pro and are offered a spot on BotB ie "I could hang out with and coach my hockey heroes......but then I have to let one of them touch Tessa!?!?!?!?!")
Hahahaha. There was that one article some time last year that proposed the show eventually arrange a Tessa/Sidney Crosby pairing.

I think that wouldn't end well for Sidney.

And thanks, Liz and Brooke, for the reviews and comments on SOI!
Thief Of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
Hahahaha. There was that one article some time last year that proposed the show eventually arrange a Tessa/Sidney Crosby pairing.
That has got to happen!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Extreme Fan

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocagirl (View Post)
SandraMGfan from FSU has posted her photos from the Vancouver show on the CSOI thread. I hope she won't mind if I put the link here. There are a few nice ones of Tessa and Scott.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4&l=2466f4e53c
One of the great things about this album are the captions. Apparently, this person had skating ladies seated in front of them at the show, haha.

"according to the women in front of us, this is Evan Lysacek... of Russia "

"according to the women in front of us, Shae-Lynn Bourne was there ! "

Last edited by kris9918; 05-14-2011 at 09:04 PM
kris9918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 PM
New Fan

If anyone's interested here's the link to my pictures from the show in Vancouver. There's 1174 of them (which is what continuous shooting mode gets you) just to warn you, but you should be able to tell who you're looking at by the thumbnails if you want to skip to Scott and Tessa. I have tons of pictures of them. Unfortunately, this camera performed better at Nationals and at the SOI in Seattle, but not in Vancouver, so while there are a few really good pictures, a lot of them aren't so great. I've included all of them for now, and when I have more time I'm going to go in and get rid of some of the bad ones.

If you wouldn't mind, please don't share this link with other sites. I don't mind if you do anything with the pictures, and I know that anyone can read this forum and get the link anyway, but I'd rather not voluntarily pass it around all over the internet. The screen name I use for a lot of things is in the web address, which means that googling that name will make a bunch of stuff pop up, and it just makes me uncomfortable that some much stuff pops up when you google it. I know thats what I get for sharing the link, but I'd rather just keep it in as few places as possible. Sorry if that seems weird or paranoid .

Stars on Ice

Last edited by Brooklet; 05-14-2011 at 10:31 PM
Brooklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Extreme Fan

Those photos are great! Thanks for sharing them.
kris9918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Dedicated Fan

Brooke, thank you!! Your photos are fantastic

New thread soon- title suggestions?

(formerly gg_all_da_way) - Liz

Icon by Aly.
WriterLiz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

I was thinking something like "because the idea is that things come better in pairs" or something along those lines. Just an idea!

Thanks Brooke, for those photos! They're awesome!

Zac/Vanessa, Tessa/Scott, Booth/Brennan
flaminhotcheetos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

Cheetos, I like that idea!

How about Because the idea that 'The best things come in pairs' really resonated with us?- Tessa said that in the Marilyn Dennis interview.

(formerly gg_all_da_way) - Liz

Icon by Aly.
WriterLiz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Master Fan

Great pictures, Brooke, thanks so much!

Totally OT and slightly belated, but Anne, should I take your couples signature to indicate that you're an Elizabeth Peters fan?
Thief Of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Dedicated Fan

Can't stop looking at those pictures, it's like watching whole numbers in slow-mo! Thank you for sharing them with us, Brooke.
Avocagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:18 AM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for the link to the photos Brooke!

Some photos from the Worlds Gala...

Old 05-15-2011, 05:13 AM
Loyal Fan

Thank you for all photos and reviews
Love this gala photos. Bzezina gave his flowers to Tess?
Thats why all time Scott try to give his flowers to him
Adorable.
And look at Tessas lines at lift with David at the opening- she look like reall balerina
From this hpotos from Vancouver its look, like not a lot off people was at the arena...

Last edited by fsfan1; 05-15-2011 at 05:28 AM
fsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Loyal Fan

New Thread
Reply   Post New Thread