Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 05:00 AM
Part-Time Fan

I live in America, but have already seen all of the second season! i didn't watch the premire on PBS, because I have other shows on sunday to watch. I LOVE how they advertised it here. It really made me happy!! I just hope I can see the third season as soon as it airs, because I hate waiting for PBS to air it!! Way o long!

I wold love to see the build up to the wedding, the wedding, and end with the wedding night. What would be a better episode? I can't wait to see Sybi again! And I really do hope they find someone for Edith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevereღ (View Post)

Meriah_91 I love your video
Thank you!

Last edited by Meriah_91; 01-11-2012 at 05:19 AM
Meriah_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

We'll surely see Sybil and Tom again! Also I believe it's time to have someone for Edith, or at least something interesting happening to her. She changed a lot during season 2, so I hope it has a purpose.

Can you imagine that Fellowes must be almost done with series 3 script? So he has basically decided how to ruin our lives again?
Althought I think he's done with the M&M suffering, I think we've had enough. Of course I hope he has something interesting in store for them.
Anthea82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthea82 (View Post)
Althought I think he's done with the M&M suffering, I think we've had enough. Of course I hope he has something interesting in store for them.
Oh, I'm sure we'll see lots more suffering for Mary and Matthew, though hopefully they'll be married soon, so can face it together. I can't see them adjusting that easily to married life! I just hope they don't get put through much...
Others - Snow White/Charming (OUAT), Amy/Rory (Dr Who), Arthur/Gwen (Merlin), Ron/Hermione (Harry Potter), Darcy/Elizabeth (Pride & Prejudice), John/Margaret (North and South) & Chandler/Monica (Friends).
Silver's/Laura's fanfic and LJ.
silverduck2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

That would be a perfect episode, the run up to the wedding, the wedding itself and then ending with their wedding night

I look forward to seeing Sybil and Tom again and I hope they find someone for Edith too
Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 PM
New Fan

I love Mary and Matthew so much. The proposal scene was honestly one of the best proposals i've seen in a long time, with their big happy smiles, the beautiful snow, Matthew twirling Mary around and the camera panning away from them with the sounds of their individual laughter merging together; it was just amazing. I wish we didn't have to wait so long though for new scenes.

Last edited by Eleatic; 01-12-2012 at 08:16 AM
Eleatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaSophia (View Post)
I would love to see it played out like this. We can see a little of them being engaged (if possible I would also like to see everybody's reaction to the news of their engagement), the preparations and o/c the wedding itself. I read somewhere the first episode is going to be a 90 minutes one, if true, there will be enough time to play it out like this. I'm already looking forward to seeing Mary in her weddingdress! I'm sure she'll look stunning!
This, I hope the show doesn't skip straight to the wedding since I'd love to see how everyone reacts to the engagement news (plus you know that Violet will always have something hillarious/inventive to say ) and the wedding preparations. This is a relationship which has been in fruition for 6/7 years so I hope TPTB gives it as much.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
destroyer of worlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:39 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~-Sarah-~ (View Post)
This, I hope the show doesn't skip straight to the wedding since I'd love to see how everyone reacts to the engagement news (plus you know that Violet will always have something hillarious/inventive to say ) and the wedding preparations. This is a relationship which has been in fruition for 6/7 years so I hope TPTB gives it as much.
I really want to see everyone's reaction to the news as well, you just know that the celebration would be epic and i normally hate that word, but not in this case though
Eleatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

I hope they don't open with the wedding! I too want to see everyone's reaction to the engagement especially Violets as she always has something funny and witty to say
Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 PM
New Fan

I'm a relatively new Matthew/Mary fan, but no less devoted. Best couple in TV history, IMO. The wait for season three is going to be excruciating. I do have a few plot-related questions though that I thought I'd ask the M/M experts.

In season two when Matthew's in the hospital wounded he says to Mary "it seems like such a short time ago that I turned you down." What's he referring to? When did Matthew turn Mary down? Didn't Mary turn down his proposal at the end of season 1?

What do you think happened in the Christmas Special to make Matthew come to his senses and propose to Mary? He seemed pretty adamant to remain miserable even up to minutes before the proposal. Why did he finally come around?
LadyKathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Loyal Fan

I'd love to see all the reactions to the engagement too, but I doubt we will somehow. I hope we see the preparation for the wedding at any rate! We deserve a proper big deal being made of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKathryn (View Post)
In season two when Matthew's in the hospital wounded he says to Mary "it seems like such a short time ago that I turned you down." What's he referring to? When did Matthew turn Mary down? Didn't Mary turn down his proposal at the end of season 1?
It's in ep 5, series 2 that he says that, and he's referring to him withdrawing his proposal in series 1, episode 7. Mary never actually turned him down, she just kept on delaying and delaying, until Matthew eventually got tired of waiting and withdrew his proposal. He couldn't be sure Mary loved him or his future as Earl, so he walked away basically. He was going to go to Manchester, only the war happened!

Quote:
What do you think happened in the Christmas Special to make Matthew come to his senses and propose to Mary? He seemed pretty adamant to remain miserable even up to minutes before the proposal. Why did he finally come around?
I think it was a lot of things that slowly all added up - the advice from his mother and Robert, making his peace with his guilt over Lavinia by being there for her father when he died, helping to support Mary through the Carlisle business, knowing Mary's big secret and then, finally, the knowledge that she was going to America soon.
Others - Snow White/Charming (OUAT), Amy/Rory (Dr Who), Arthur/Gwen (Merlin), Ron/Hermione (Harry Potter), Darcy/Elizabeth (Pride & Prejudice), John/Margaret (North and South) & Chandler/Monica (Friends).
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree I think it was a lot of things in the Christmas special that made Matthew realise he was being stupid to deny himself happiness with Mary as they do make each other happy they truly love one another
Old 01-16-2012, 06:02 PM
New Fan

Thanks Silverduck2day. The details of the season 1, episode 7 were a little hazy to me.

I remember the first time I watched the CS, it seemed that Matthew's proposal was rather spontaneous, though no less heartfelt. Did Matthew intend on proposing as he joined Mary outside or did it happen naturally as they were talking? What do you guys think?

I've got to say the smiles on Mary and Matthew's faces when Mary says yes are the happiest I've ever seen either of the two characters. Matthew may have loved Lavinia in his own way (much differently than Mary, of course) but he never, ever looked that happy with her.

ETA: Also, can I be listed as one of the Mary/Matthew shippers? Thank you!

ETA (again): If there are any fans of the US version of The Office, I've found similarities in how that and Downton Abbey structured their main romances. In season 1 of DA, we mostly see the romance from Matthew's perspective. Matthew is smitten with Mary from the outset and spends most of season 1 pining for her. It's very clear how he's feeling, while Mary's feelings for Matthew (until the end of season 1) are hidden or at least more subtle. The season ends in heartbreak. In season 1/2 of The Office, we see Jim pining for Pam with no real indication of how Pam feels about Jim. Season 2 ends for them in heartbreak.

Season 2 of DA was focused on Mary's feelings for Matthew, while he's now engaged to Lavinia. Matthew's feelings are less obvious until the end of the season. It's the flipside of season 1. Similarly, season 3 of The Office is more focused on Pam pining for Jim with Jim seemingly moving on with Karen. Jim's feelings, like Matthew's, are less obvious.

In some ways, I think that season 1 being dedicated more to Matthew and season 2 to Mary serve to make both equal partners in their relationship. Both have equally pined and suffered for the other. They've gone through hell and back, making the joy at their engagement that much more profound.

Last edited by LadyKathryn; 01-16-2012 at 07:05 PM
Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't know if he planned to propose when they went for a walk outside but as they got to talking it just felt right and their faces and smiles when she said yes were amazing They were both so happy, the happiest I've ever seen them
Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevereღ (View Post)
I don't know if he planned to propose when they went for a walk outside but as they got to talking it just felt right and their faces and smiles when she said yes were amazing They were both so happy, the happiest I've ever seen them
I don't think he'd planned it either. I just think Robert's words before the ball - where he says Matthew did do right by Lavinia, them dancing and Mary talking about moving to America, were the final straws. When they're outside, I think it hits him, that she'll really be going, so he decides to do something about it!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:00 PM
New Fan

I agree with both of you. I don't think it was planned either, but came out naturally during their conversation.

I was watching the CS (again) in its entirety, not just the Matthew/Mary scenes and I realized I had forgotten about the ending conversation between Matthew and Lord Grantham. I was surprised that Lord Grantham knew about what happened with Matthew, Lavinia, and Mary, especially in regards to Matthew's feelings. Did Matthew talk with him about the situation at some point? I was surprised that Matthew was that open about his feelings and the situation with LG, but perhaps that illustrates the closeness of their relationship. And I agree with others, I think that conversation really allowed Matthew to realize that he shouldn't feel guilty about Lavinia's death, therefore could finally move on with Mary.
Reply   Post New Thread