Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

That great that you get a new episode tonight in America what episode are you guys up to?

I can see them having the wedding in the first episode as MM have waited so long to be together they won't want a long engagement. And it will serve to bring Sybil home early on in the series
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

Oh the blurb from the NY times is interesting and quite right: when M/M met and then had the first 2 dinners together I thought of P&P. Mary sounded a bit like Darcy, and Matthew like Elizabeth!

About the wedding night: I'd love to see something! My wish is to see Matthew let down Mary's hair.
Anthea82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthea82 (View Post)
Oh the blurb from the NY times is interesting and quite right: when M/M met and then had the first 2 dinners together I thought of P&P. Mary sounded a bit like Darcy, and Matthew like Elizabeth!
Yep - there were definitely shades of Pride and Prejudice in their first meeting and first few dinners together. Storywise, Matthew was Darcy and Mary Elizabeth (complete with Matthew insulting Mary) but personality wise, Mary is definitely more like Darcy and Matthew like Elizabeth! The end of series 1 also had shades of Persuasion in too - and being a big Jane Austen fan, I of course loved it!

Quote:
About the wedding night: I'd love to see something! My wish is to see Matthew let down Mary's hair.
Yeah, I'd love something like that and I think it'd work great. It could be so charged and full of chemistry/meaning, yet still stick very nicely into the 12 sort of rating Downton Abbey has.
Others - Snow White/Charming (OUAT), Amy/Rory (Dr Who), Arthur/Gwen (Merlin), Ron/Hermione (Harry Potter), Darcy/Elizabeth (Pride & Prejudice), John/Margaret (North and South) & Chandler/Monica (Friends).
Silver's/Laura's fanfic and LJ.
silverduck2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverduck2day (View Post)
Yep - there were definitely shades of Pride and Prejudice in their first meeting and first few dinners together. Storywise, Matthew was Darcy and Mary Elizabeth (complete with Matthew insulting Mary) but personality wise, Mary is definitely more like Darcy and Matthew like Elizabeth! The end of series 1 also had shades of Persuasion in too - and being a big Jane Austen fan, I of course loved it!
Persuasion! Of course how could I forget it. When Mary hesitates she definitely reminded me of Anne. I wonder if Fellowes too is an Austen fan

Quote:
Yeah, I'd love something like that and I think it'd work great. It could be so charged and full of chemistry/meaning, yet still stick very nicely into the 12 sort of rating Downton Abbey has.
Since we had the "after" of A/B we could have the before and something more of M/M. The chemistry is so great that they would made us flail and faint all over again!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

It does seem that Fellowes is an Austin fan there are a lot of similarities

I'd love to see Matthew letting Mary's hair down it would be charged with chemistry and meaning
Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevereღ (View Post)
It does seem that Fellowes is an Austin fan there are a lot of similarities

I'd love to see Matthew letting Mary's hair down it would be charged with chemistry and meaning
I would love to see that. It would be perfect

I have noticed some parallels to Austen novels. I wonder if they were planned or if Fellowes is just a fan and unconsciously did it.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
We didn't really see much preparation for the wedding of Matthew and Lavinia, so I doubt they'll be any replay problems. I think opening with the preperations and the servants being all busy, and having the wedding towards the end of the episode would work great. I don't know about closing the episode on the wedding though - it'd be nice to see parts of the reception and maybe a bit of the Mary/Matthew wedding night too!

I say make the epiosde about the wedding and throw in a few potential problems (like Isis getting his paws into the wedding cake, Robert meeting Sybil and his son in law again type thing) and it'd be great. They're such a main couple, and have waited so long, they deserve a proper big wedding played out across the episode.
I would love to see it played out like this. We can see a little of them being engaged (if possible I would also like to see everybody's reaction to the news of their engagement), the preparations and o/c the wedding itself. I read somewhere the first episode is going to be a 90 minutes one, if true, there will be enough time to play it out like this. I'm already looking forward to seeing Mary in her weddingdress! I'm sure she'll look stunning!
EmmaSophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

If the first episode will be 90 minutes that will be great for it to play out that way I can't wait to see Mary in her wedding dress she will look stunning
Old 01-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
If the first episode will be 90 minutes that will be great for it to play out that way I can't wait to see Mary in her wedding dress she will look stunning
I'm pretty sure ITV have confirmed the first episode is 90minutes - and the last episode as well. The others are all an hour. Of couse, that includes ads, but still, plenty of time to have their wedding across the episode in the first one.

Not too sure we'll get to see people's reactions to the news though - as I'd expect that'd be the next day, and I bet they have a bigger time jump than that.

And yes, Mary in her wedding dress will be epic - and I can just imagine Matthew's face as she walks down the aisle...

Can it be September yet?
Others - Snow White/Charming (OUAT), Amy/Rory (Dr Who), Arthur/Gwen (Merlin), Ron/Hermione (Harry Potter), Darcy/Elizabeth (Pride & Prejudice), John/Margaret (North and South) & Chandler/Monica (Friends).
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can't wait to see Matthews face as he sees Mary walking down the isle in her stunning dress

Even with adverts the episodes are an hour long they add an extra 15 minutes on to the time. so with adverts on tv the episodes will be 1hr 15mins long

I know I need it to be September already so we can get the new series
Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can't wait to see Matthews face as he sees Mary walking down the isle in her stunning dress

Even with adverts the episodes are an hour long they add an extra 15 minutes on to the time. so with adverts on tv the episodes will be 1hr 15mins long

I know I need it to be September already so we can get the new series
Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 PM
New Fan

Quote:
That great that you get a new episode tonight in America what episode are you guys up to?
Season 2 premiere...episodes 1 and 2 for everyone else. I'm kinda loving this. I already know how things work out for MM so I can just relax and enjoy the rest of the show

Yeah, PBS lied. They totally cut scenes! Mary/Matthew scenes! The absolute nerve!

Edith was growing on me with her driving cars/tractors but then she whined about her dress while Carson was practically keeling over...and then she kissed a married man - and liked it. My, how the mighty have fallen...****tily

Violet was superb! She's a big softie. I loved her encouraging Sybil to pursue nursing and then "protecting" William/Mosley. "Do you want Mosley to die?" Hee!
vera2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

I knew they had cut something again!
I read they cut the Branson scene where he is given the feather and says "I'm waearing an uniform"...it's actually one of the best Branson moments for me! -.-'

But Mary and Matthew scenes? How dare they? -.-'
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
But Mary and Matthew scenes? How dare they? -.-'
Yeah, I heard that as well - it's awful that they're cutting scenes, any scenes, because they all add to people's characerisation and story. It simply means people see a different version and I know after series 1, this caused a lot of people to have very different ideas and interpretations about things...

But cutting the Mary/Matthew dinner scene in episode 1 is terrible! Not only is it a great Mary/Matthew moment, but it shows so well what Matthew has been going through - that what he's gone through is so horrific he really can't talk about it and the way his face pales and he clams up then is very significant. That adds so much weight to his personality this series, how he's had to compartmentalise so much just to try and get through the war!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes how dare they cut MM scenes all their scenes are important not one of them needed to be cut!
Reply   Post New Thread