Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Elite Fan

I can't wait for to see the poster and the trailer

Quote:
Sundance 2013: Richard Linklater on ‘Before Midnight’ and the Sequel Nobody Wanted
By Jason Bailey on Jan 22, 2013 10:05am

PARK CITY, UTAH: In Before Midnight, the latest chapter of Richard Linklater’s romantic chronicle, Jesse (the writer played again by Ethan Hawke) is told of his third novel: “It’s a better book! It’s so much more ambitious!” It plays like an in-joke, but an accurate one; Before Midnight has all the best qualities of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (a love of conversational dialogue, long takes that value the joy of performance and interaction, gorgeous European locations), yet it is a grander and more complicated achievement. There are some supporting characters this time, for example, and a fuller sense of the protagonists’ lives outside the narrow timeframe. But it also reflects, beautifully, how romance in your 40s is a very different beast from romance in your 20s, or 30s.

It was, initially, an unlikely prospect for a series. As co-writer/director Richard Linklater explained at a Sundance screening Monday, “It was somewhere between the first and second film, probably five or six years later, that Ethan and Julie (Delpy) and I started thinking maybe Jesse and Celene were still alive, and there may be something to still explore there. The difference being, back then, no one was clamoring for a second one. No one really wanted a second film, except Julie, Ethan, and I. I think we were the lowest-grossing film to ever spawn a sequel!” But after Before Sunset, “ever since then, the last nine years, and the way that ends, has begged the question: are you gonna do another one?”

Your humble film editor wouldn’t dream of revealing where the new film finds the duo, and if Jesse did, in fact, miss that plane. But the turns that their story has taken in the new film are unexpected but relatable, furthering the hope that Linklater and his two actor/co-writers will continue to revisit the characters every nine years, in a kind of American narrative equivalent to Michael Apted’s Up documentaries. “Each film is not really about time,” Linklater says, “we’re just picking up, but you put them together and yeah, it’s clearly a comment on aging and maturing and all that.” That’s also the theme of the mysterious “Untitled 12-Year Project” on his IMDb page, slated for a 2015 release. I asked him about that film, but he was cagey on the details: “We’re doing this film over a long period of time. It’s a narrative, it’s not a documentary. It’s about a kid going growing up.”

Inevitably, the last question of the post-screening Q&A was if we could expect to check in with Jesse and Celine in another nine years. Linklater wouldn’t commit, but did mention that they’re already getting title ideas for entries further down the road: “Guy came up to me and said, ‘Oh, I’ve got a title, but it’s not for this one. Y’know, when they’re in the retirement home, it could be Before the Early Bird Special.’”
Source: Sundance 2013: Richard Linklater on ‘Before Midnight’ and the Sequel Nobody Wanted – Flavorwire

Sundance 2013: In Linklater's 'Before Midnight,' a new day dawns - latimes.com

Quote:
Financed with Greek money, "Midnight" shot under the radar in coastal Greece over just a few weeks last summer. After the screening, Linklater said he didn’t have a long-gestating plan to make a third movie, but after keeping in touch with Hawke and Delpy over the years, “somewhere along the way we realized [the characters] were still alive.”

He also acknowledged that he, Delpy and Hawke have all drawn from their own life experiences, which it should be noted included Hawke’s divorce from Uma Thurman as well as all three principals raising children of their own. (They have eight total among them.)

As with “Sunset,” the writing took on an unusual process. To give the movie its freeform feel, Linklater, Hawke and Delpy got together and holed up for weeks trying out different lines, eventually settling on a script that would work with minimal improvisation on set.

Asked at the screening what they learned from the process, Delpy quipped, “the capacity to argue.” Then, turning serious, she said, “We know each other better and get straight to the point.”

Julie Delpy, director Richard Linklater and Ethan Hawke (via Skype) join our Sundance studio to talk about the third film in their series.

Message From Ethan Hawke As He Couldn't Make It To Sundance To Premiere Before Midnight

Source: Before Midnight Movie - Facebook

I grew up with these movies, they are a part of my life, so, I'd like to see another movie in the future

ღ ღ ღ

Last edited by Gio Gio; 01-23-2013 at 12:12 AM
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Elite Fan

Source: (+)

---

Quote:
“It’s nice to be able to bring good news to the world. Fans of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset should stop holding their breaths. The sequel to those films, Before Midnight, is not only good, but so good it approaches perfection”
Source: Before Midnight review: the Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy, Richard Linklater sequel to Before Sunrise and Before Sunset is nearly perfect.

---

Julie Delpy attends the Before Midnight premiere at Sundance

Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
2013 Sundance Diary, Day 4: A Good Kind of Crazy
Submitted by BrianTT on January 22, 2013 - 6:04pm.

PARK CITY, Utah – Every film festival produces at least one film (hopefully more) that just blows audiences away, shattering expectations and leaving them breathless. The future Oscar nominee from Sundance Film Festival 2013 is Richard Linklater’s “Before Midnight,” a film that is quite simply perfect. Now is the time in a feature when I would generally try to wrap up everything I’ve seen into one thematical bow for this particular piece. Screw that. I need to talk about my favorite movie in quite some time first. We’ll get to the others (and, to be fair, a few of the others are quite good.) I need to talk about Jesse & Celine.

It’s been nine years since Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy made the brilliant “Before Sunset,” a beautiful sequel to their charming “Before Sunrise.”
Spoiler:

“Before Midnight” left me nearly breathless. The script (credited to Linklater, Delpy, & Hawke) perfectly captures the complexity of marriage in ways that have rarely been portrayed on film. I won’t spoil where “Midnight” goes but people who have been married long enough will undoubtedly see part of their relationship in this one. And yet Jesse & Celine are completely realized, three-dimensional characters in every way. They are not cliches and yet they feel like truth. They feel like people we know. Julie Delpy does the best work of her career (she’s nomination worthy) and Linklater shows even more brilliant restraint than in the past, often just shooting unbroken as the two walk the streets of a small Greek coastal town. I will write a lot about “Before Midnight” as time goes by and have tried to limit myself to two paragraphs at most during these Diary pieces and so I need to move on but there’s so much to digest, cherish, and adore here. It’s the best film to play in Park City this year and will be one of the best of 2013 whenever it plays in your town as well.
Source: 2013 Sundance Diary, Day 4: A Good Kind of Crazy
Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Supreme Fan

This film better be nominated for Best Original Screenplay at the Oscars. And it should WIN. Just saying.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Sundance 2013: Sony Pictures Classics falls for 'Before Midnight'
by Jeff Labrecque - Jan 25 2013 02:39 PM ET

Before Midnight, the third film from Richard Linklater about the alluring romance between Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy), was acquired by Sony Pictures Classics after debuting at the Sundance Film Festival last weekend. The characters initially met on a train bound for Vienna in the 1995 film Before Sunrise, and the reunited nine years later in Paris in the 2004 film Before Sunset. In Before Midnight, the pair is in Greece, wrestling with life and love in their early 40s.

“In 1991 we were in Sundance with Slacker and we witnessed the birth of a major American filmmaker,” said Sony Pictures Classics in a release. “At Sundance 2013 with Before Midnight, we have further confirmation that Richard Linklater is a film master at the peak of his form. This one has it all as entertainment and as a work of cinematic art. It is a perfect movie made by not one but three auteurs, Rick, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy. This movie will be incredibly successful around the world.”

Sony Pictures Classics acquired all North American and UK rights for the movie. Financial terms were not released.
Source: Sundance: Before Midnight acquired by Sony Pictures Classics | Inside Movies | EW.com

Some reviews:

Before Midnight Movie Review -- Sundance | Film School Rejects

'Before Midnight' Completes a Trilogy at Sundance, Questions True Love - WTAQ News Talk 97.5FM and 1360AM

Sundance Review: Love Is Hard In The Charming But Emotionally Challenging 'Before Midnight' | The Playlist

Sundance Film Festival: Reviews of 'Before Midnight,' 'The Way, Way Back,' 'The East,' 'Breathe In' and 'Lovelace' - NY Daily News
Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Elite Fan

Big spoiler pic

Spoiler:

Source: x

Quote:
Sundance Video: Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke (via Phone) Discuss Festival Critical Darling 'Before Midnight'
January 25, 2013 6:25 PM

One of the most discussed and acclaimed films of the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, Richard Linklater's "Before Midnight" brings Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy back into their roles of Jesse and Celine for the third time, following 1995's "Before Midnight" and 2004's "Before Sunset."

Linklater, Delpy and -- via a phone call from Europe -- Hawke sat down with Indiewire for a video interview during the festival, discussing why they decided to go for round three, and what it's like coming back to Sundance 18 years after "Sunrise" made its debut.
Source: Sundance Video: Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke (via Phone) Discuss Festival Critical Darling 'Before Midnight' | Filmmakers, Film Industry, Film Festivals, Awards & Movie Reviews | Indiewire
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Elite Fan

in still dont know how to react to the fact we just come into the movie & they already have kids
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Elite Fan

Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 AM
Elite Fan

SXSW 2013 Line Up Adds 'Before Midnight,' Joss Whedon' 'Much Ado About Nothing,' Sundance Hits & More | The Playlist

New pics from the set Spoiler

Spoiler:

Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Obsessed Fan

I can't believe I didn't know about this thread. Please add me to the lovers list. I adore this couple.

ETA: This is amazing

Last edited by ~*Love's*Bitch*~; 02-03-2013 at 12:43 AM
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Elite Fan

Welcome! I added you on the list

Quote:
Before Midnight - Among everyone I spoke to, this seemed to be the unanimous favorite movie. It’s the third part in the trilogy of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, which were both good but it’s surprising how effective this third part became. Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy), the couple who met on a train in Vienna,
Spoiler:
You may think you know what you’re getting by the third film, and that makes Before Midnight the biggest surprise of Sundance.
Source: Highlights & Low Lights: A WEEK AT SUNDANCE 2013

Quote:
3. Julie Delpy, Before Midnight
Spoiler:
Hawke is wonderful in Before Midnight, but Delpy turns in one of the best performances of her storied career.—Michael Dunaway
Source: The 12 Best Acting Performances at Sundance 2013 :: Blogs :: List of the Day :: Paste

Quote:
1. Before Midnight
Director: Richard Linklater
Stars: Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke
Before Midnight concludes one of cinema’s great trilogies—assuming it stays a trilogy. Director Richard Linklater and stars Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke have built a beautiful study of life and love, each chapter of which stands on its own while adding emotional resonance to the other two. The series’ trademark intense, thoughtful and personal conversations remain.
Spoiler:
—Jeremy Mathews
Source: The 17 Best Movies at Sundance 2013 :: Blogs :: List of the Day :: Paste

Quote:
“Before Midnight” - 5 stars

The third film in Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy and their co-writer/director Richard Linklater’s unlikely series of films chronicling the connection between American novelist Jesse and French altruist Celine is, as expected, smart, funny and knowing.

What’s unexpected is how deeply the actors — who are as comfortable to us as they are with each other — go into roles that, in 1995’s “Before Sunrise,” seemed to be nothing more than romantic-dramedy fixtures.

In the two films since, Jesse and Celine hashed out whatever is on their minds, and, if you’re anywhere close to the characters’ (and actors’) ages — they’re 41 now — you find their concerns, worries and hopes to be familiar. Like Francois Truffaut’s Antoine Doinel films, “Before Midnight” builds on what we know and then adds twists in the road.
Source: Sundance Film Festival: Reviews of 'Before Midnight,' 'The Way, Way Back,' 'The East,' 'Breathe In' and 'Lovelace' - NY Daily News

'Sound City,' 'Before Midnight' join SXSW Film lineup | Inside Movies | EW.com

Global crisis in focus at Berlin film fest | GulfNews.com

Last edited by Gio Gio; 02-03-2013 at 01:51 AM
Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Platform Release Dates Set for Before Midnight, New Woody Allen & Almodovar
ERC Box Office , Edward Douglas - February 6, 2013

Sony Pictures Classics has announced the platform release dates for three anticipated movies from veteran auteur filmmakers, including Richard Linklater's Before Midnight, which they picked up at the Sundance Film Festival last month, Woody Allen's new movie Blue Jasmine and the latest from Pedro Almodovar, I'm So Excited.

Before Midnight reunites Linklater with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy for the third installment in the relationship drama which began with Before Sunrise and continued into Before Sunset. It will open in New York and Los Angeles on Friday, May 24.

Pedro Almodovar's ensemble comedy I'm So Excited will open in New York and Los Angeles for a platform release on June 28 and lastly, Woody Allen's new movie Blue Jasmine, which stars Alec Baldwin, Cate Blanchett, Bobby Cannavale, Louis C.K., Andrew Dice Clay, Sally Hawkins, Peter Sarsgaard and Michael Stuhlbarg will open in the two cities on July 26.

Before Midnight will continue its festival run with a screening in Austin at SXSW next month, but there's no word whether the other two movies may premiere at Cannes as was the case with past movies from Allen and Almodovar.
Source: Platform Release Dates Set for Before Midnight, New Woody Allen & Almodovar - ComingSoon.net

Joss Whedon, Shane Carruth, Richard Linklater And More Join SXSW 2013 Lineup - CinemaBlend.com

Linklater's Before Midnight, Allen's Blue Jasmine, And Almodovar's I'm So Excited Get Release Dates - CinemaBlend.com
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Elite Fan

Director Richard Linklater and actors Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke attend the 'Before Midnight' Photocall during the 63rd Berlinale International Film Festival at the Grand Hyatt Hotel on February 11, 2013 in Berlin, Germany.

Ethan Hawke, Richard Linklater and Julie Delpy attend the 'Before Midnight' Press Conference during the 63rd Berlinale International Film Festival at the Grand Hyatt Hotel on February 11, 2013 in Berlin, Germany.

Berlin Film Festival review: Before Midnight starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy

Quote:
Famous film couple back 9 years on in "Before Midnight"
By Mike Collett-White
BERLIN | Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:15am EST

BERLIN (Reuters) - Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy reprise the roles of Jesse and Celine in "Before Midnight", the third but not necessarily the last movie in their long-running series based on the same characters as they age over time.

In this film, set 18 years after "Before Sunrise", the couple is on holiday in Greece and we learn that they live with their twin daughters in Paris while Jesse's son has stayed with his mother in Chicago.

Screening at the Berlin film festival on Monday, "Before Midnight" examines how life's twists have taken their toll on the American tourist and French student who met on a train bound for Vienna in 1995 and again in Paris nine years later in "Before Sunset".

They still love each other but this time they are older, heavier, and bicker more, and the forces pulling Jesse back towards his teenage son and Celine's determination to pursue her career in France test that bond to its limits.

Director Richard Linklater, on board throughout the series, underlined the organic nature of the "Before..." films when he was asked whether there might be a fourth installment, presumably sometime around 2022.

"The fact that we've made two sequels, I guess it begs the question, but I think I speak for the group here, I'm sure we have absolutely no idea what that (sequel) could possibly be," he told reporters at the 11-day film festival.

"We probably won't for another six years. Who knows the future?"

French actress Delpy joked that the final film in the series would be a remake of Michael Haneke's Oscar-nominated drama "Amour", about an elderly couple aged in their 80s facing the inevitability of imminent death.

"STIFLING" EXPECTATIONS

Critical reaction to "Before Midnight" has been mixed.

In its review, the Guardian newspaper said the movie felt forced, but The Hollywood Reporter wrote: "Though this stage is harder to watch, audiences who have aged along with Celine and Jesse will treasure this new episode."

Hawke said he, Delpy and Linklater, who jointly developed the script over two years, felt the weight of expectation as they embarked on the third part of a story which many viewers identified with so closely.

"I haven't met a director in the last nine years that didn't tell me what he or she thought the third film should be. So we knew we were up against a lot of people having an agenda about where Jesse and Celine should be. That agenda is stifling."

"Before Midnight" consists of a handful of long, single-shot scenes focusing on the couple as they navigate a life complicated by broken families, work pressures and the familiarity of living together.

In the first scene Jesse sees his son off at the airport in an awkward exchange that underlines how the two have grown apart. In the next Jesse and Celine discuss children, work and their relationship in frank and often funny exchanges.

At one point Celine says men measure themselves against leading figures from history. When Jesse counters that women do too, he mentions Joan of Arc.

"She was burned at the stake and was a virgin," jokes Celine. "Who wants to be Joan of Arc?"

As the film goes on, banter becomes bickering, then descends into a blazing row. Linklater stressed that the dialogue may seem off-the-cuff but it required a lot of hard work.

"It feels improvised. It's not," he said. "It's meticulously rehearsed and structured."
Source: Famous film couple back 9 years on in "Before Midnight"

Last edited by Gio Gio; 02-11-2013 at 09:19 AM
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Elite Fan

'Before Midnight' Premiere - 63rd Berlinale International Film Festival.
Actors Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy attend the 'Before Midnight' Premiere during the 63rd Berlinale International Film Festival at the Berlinale Palast on February 11, 2013 in Berlin, Germany.

Hawke, Delpy back in 'Before Midnight' - Entertainment - NZ Herald News

Hawke, Delpy considering follow-up to ‘Before Midnight’

Quote:
Hawke, Delpy considering follow-up to ‘Before Midnight’
AFP | 13 mins ago

BERLIN: Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy said they feel like they’ve grown up with their slow-burn romantic trilogy after the latest installment, “Before Midnight”, charmed the Berlinale on Monday, and that they’re mulling a fourth film.

In a 63rd edition light on big hits, the out-of-competition screening of the movie drew cheers from a packed cinema at the first major European film festival of the year, and Hawke and Delpy appeared moved by the reception.

The actors linked up with Texas-based director Richard Linklater, who directed them as young Generation Xers, an American and a Frenchwoman, in the 1995 cult hit “Before Sunrise” in which they have a brief Vienna tryst as backpackers and then go their separate ways.

In 2004, the trio made “Before Sunset” which sees Jesse, now a writer trapped in an unhappy marriage, publish a successful novel about the hours with Celine, and she searches him out when he lands in Paris on a book tour.

The three also wrote “Before Midnight” together.

The film takes Celine and Jesse, who are now a live-in couple with twin girls, to a sun-kissed Greek island where he has brought the family with him to a writers’ retreat.

The latest film picks up the series’ trademark walking-and-talking trope, with extended single-shot scenes focused purely on the couple’s fighting, flirting and philosophising that still managed to hold the audience rapt.

But their conversations have grown weightier over time, with careers, child care, tensions over Jesse’s ex-wife and teenage son, and the prospect of a move to the United States weighing on the relationship.

Delpy said it sometimes surprised her how broad the interest in the story remained considering how personal the project had become, and that she relished having a kind of time capsule of her own life.

“There’s an element of time in our lives as well which is really unusual for actors and writers to be able to revisit,” she told reporters.

“Each segment is in the moment but within this period of time of 18 years. It’s kind of special to do that as actors or writers.”

Linklater said that each time they finished a picture they were ready to say goodbye for a while but that the material seemed too rich not to keep mining.

“I think I speak for the group here – I’m sure we have absolutely no idea right now what that (sequel) could possibly be and we probably won’t for like five or six years,” he said.

“Usually we joke about it and then at some point our jokes become maybe a little more serious and we realise that Jesse and Celine are maybe trying to go, ‘Hey, I’m at a new phase in my life, you have to deal with me.’”

Hawke, sporting platinum blond hair for a Broadway role, joked, “every time I try to push Julie into doing a full-blown erotica film. That’s what I want to do, is just where Jesse and Celine, we really push the boundaries of cinema in a pornographic way and really explore all their relationship.”

Delpy rolled her eyes and quipped, “in the seventh part, when I’m 80.”

Hawke said it was rare to have such a close rapport with his opposite number from the first day of shooting.

“Usually when you have to play a romance you’re like meeting the actress two days before shooting and we’ve known each other for almost 20 years now,” he said.

Delpy chimed in: “We’re not afraid of touching each other.”
Source: Hawke, Delpy considering follow-up to ‘Before Midnight’
Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
'Before Midnight' Hits Berlin: Delpy, Hawke and Linklater Press Conference
by Tom Christie - February 11, 2013 1:52 PM

"Before Midnight" isn’t just a chick flick, it’s a chick field-goal. About half way through the third Ethan Hawke-Julie Delpy love-hate-love fest, I found myself thinking two words: 'Shut up! Stop talking!! Shut the **** up!!!' (Okay, that’s eight words, but if these words were to come out of the mouths of this film’s characters, there would be 76,992 more of them to express the same idea, with references to Aeschylus, Henry Miller and Zinedine Zidane along the way, not to mention a few blow jobs.) Can a film be over-written and well-written at the same time? "Before Midnight" can. Can a film be over-smart, over-clever and way over-charming and still be highly watchable? "Before Midnight" can (though cynics may suffer severe abdominal cramps).

Can Julie Delpy be a "fat-assed 41-year-old mom" (her words) and still be highly desirable? Why yes. Can Ethan Hawke get a normal haircut? Please? Hawke with bleach-blonded hair (gelled straight back with dark roots showing) looked like Puck in a Cirque du Soleil production.

I had these thoughts and more going into the Berlinale press conference with director Richard Linklater and the two stars, certainly the most enjoyable press conference of the festival. That’s not surprising, given the rapport these three have honed over 18 years of working together on "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset" before "Before Midnight."

Why play the same characters again?

Ethan Hawke: It’s a really unique opportunity where you can...

Richard Linklater: We created these characters 18 years ago, and we realize they’re still alive in us every six years or so, and not only do we have now these longterm relationships with each other but Jesse and Celine have a longterm relationship. So we have a longterm creative relationship which is really fun and rewarding.

Julie Delpy: Revisiting these characters, I think we always try to...they’re in the present even though the stories evolve in time. So there’s an element of time in our lives as well, so its really unusual for actors and writers, or directors... But each segment is in the moment but within this period of time, 18 years. A moment in time.

Will there be another one?

RL: We think after each film that we probably won’t do another. But we’ll joke about it, maybe, and then at some point we become a little more serious. We realize that Jesse and Celine are maybe trying to go, 'Hey, I’m at a new place in my life and you have to deal with it.' But who knows in the future.

EH: Every time I try to push Julie into doing a fullblown erotica film, that’s what I want to do, you know, where we really push the boundaries of cinema in a pornographic way. But Julie somehow doesn’t...

JD: I resist.

EH: We’ll try it again – at some point.

JD: Yeah, when I’m 80.

What is Ethan and Julie's relationship?

JD: It’s awful. Really.

EH: It’s kind of a mentor-student relationship [joke]. The truth is that when I met Julie – you know, Rick brought us together on 'Before Sunrise' – I’d never met somebody from my generation that was so knowledgeable, passionate and talented. Even at 23, she’d already worked with Godard, Kieslowsky and Volker Schlondorff. She was a very wise person at 23 and I certainly was not. And I feel like I’ve been playing catch-up with her ever since.

JD: But now, of course...

EH: And now I’ve surpassed her.

Shooting in Greece?

RL: I meant to go to a few countries for scouting, but went to Greece first and that was it. I cancelled the rest of the trip.

How do you work on the dialogue together?

RL: We really don’t think there’s one perspective, it’s evenhanded between male and female, and that’s a constant negotiation for all of us. And it’s not like they represent only their characters. We all write all three parts. It’s a real collaboration in the best sense of the word.

JD: It’s not necessarily me writing all the feminist things. It’s really a collaborative work, it’s not like I’m the woman and they’re the guys.

RL: Yeah, it’s not like we’re fighting.

JD: But I always win.

RL: That’s a given. It’s a wonderful collaboration. We have the luxury of time, a couple of years to work through all the easy ideas, and dig a little deeper hopefully.

Why a happy ending?

RL: You think it’s a happy ending? I’m glad. Hopeful, perhaps.

EH: ...One of the things that was most difficult about the third one, is that people weren’t really expecting a sequel to 'Before Sunrise,' so no one had any agenda or opinion about what that film should be. But once it was announced that we were making this movie I saw that people were blogging online about what the movie should be. I haven’t met a film director over the past 9 years who didn’t tell me what he thought or she thought the third film should be. So we knew we were up against a lot of people having an agenda about where Jesse and Celine should be and that agenda is stifling. You know, because you would obviously like to make people happy. But what’s good about 'Before Sunrise' and 'Sunset' is that it’s something very personal to the three of us. And so we just decided to continue on that path, and write things that were meaningful to us.

JD: ...And true to what we wanted to write.

EH: ...And hope that a like-minded person might be invited in. there were so many diff possible scenarios that were discussed. I’m working on a Brecht play right now so...Brecht had this notion that what you’re left with is the least-rejected idea.

RL: Yeah, we spend a lot of time rejecting each others’ ideas. In a nice way. You bring in something you want to get into the movie and...

EH: Well, that’s not terrible.

RL: And we might go, 'well, that’s interesting, but I don’t know if it’s that original.' And it goes away, you know? Something we think is funny, if the others don’t think it’s funny...we really trust one another and we’re kind of rigorous, I think, with each other. And no feelings are hurt; if it’s not working organically, it goes.

How much of your thoughts and personality are in these roles?

EH: One of the joys of working with Rick, is there’s a wonderful thing that can happen. You can really blur the line between character and player so that it’s almost indecipherable. Which ...is an exercise in naturalism that goes beyond the normal... you know, Mike Leigh does some of this....it’s a really unique privilege. I mean, obviously it’s not Ethan and Julie...there are aspects of my life that are relevant to this project and aspects that aren’t relevant... a large part of Jesse and Celine is Richard Linklater. There’s a fusion happening of all of these characters. If any one of us were missing, the whole thing couldn’t exist.

JD: I think it’s interesting to take a seed of truth, something that’s genuine and see what happens to it. Even 'Before Sunrise,' I watched it again and I was interested to see that things that were in my journals when I was 18 wound up in this film. This little seed of truth and then it can grow this tree of truth, you know.

A big part of the audience feels that they’ve grown up with these characters?

EH: 'Before Sunrise"...you know that was the first movie that anyone ever asked me to talk. So I get kind of amazed as the movies go on,..which also makes it more unlikely that we’ll make a fourth, because the pressure becomes enormous.

JD: Yes, I was surprised when people told me they were excited to see this film.

How is it watching yourselves grow up over 18 years?

JD: I only see the different weight (someone yells, you look better now! JD pumps her muscles..) No, I mean, you know, the reality is that we all grow and grow and grow. The last will be 'Amour.' (laughs)

RL: We’re going to make a remake of that. We’ll just skip the next 40 years and...

JD: ...And go straight to that. Yeah it’s a weird thing, sometimes it gives me a little pinch in my heart, this fear, and then when we start writing, it goes away. Maybe when we reach the time when, you know, sickness, oh god I can’t think about it. But you know, aging, you reach an age where you feel a little grounded...

Do you talk to each other like this?

JD: Fiction is fiction. As I said, we take a little element of truth, but the film is very written, I couldn’t come up with this kind of argument if I didn’t write it. I mean, it took us weeks and weeks of writing to come up with this. I wish I could argue like this!
Source: 'Before Midnight' Hits Berlin: Delpy, Hawke and Linklater Press Conference | Thompson on Hollywood

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top