Elite Fan

Before Midnight - Dates

Last edited by Gio Gio; 05-15-2013 at 11:20 AM
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Supreme Fan

Ahhh...
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Elite Fan

Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy and Richard Linklater attend "Before Midnight" New York Screening at Crosby Street Hotel on May 15, 2013 in New York City.

Ethan Hawke keeps his eyes at an appropriate level as Julie Delpy displays ample cleavage at film screening | Mail Online

x

Quote:

Meet the Filmmakers: Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke, "Before Midnight"

May 16, 5:30 p.m. Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, and Ethan Hawke discuss their new film, "Before Midnight," where we meet Celine and Jesse nine years later.
Before Midnight - Movie Trailers - iTunes
Apple Retail Store - SoHo

Summer Talk - Before Midnight

Austin�s Alamo Drafthouse screening Before Midnight - Monsters and Critics
Ethan Hawke, Before and After: Watching an Actor Grow Up - Page 1 - Movies - New York - Village Voice
Old 05-16-2013, 03:08 AM
Elite Fan

they look adorbs

good luck lucky americans who will see this movie this week
Old 05-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Elite Fan

Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy, and Richard Linklater attend 'Before Midnight' during the 2013 Film Society Of Lincoln Center Summer Talks at the Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center on May 16, 2013 in New York City.

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy Photos - Zimbio

---

Ethan Hawke Interview 2013: Julie Delpy on Romance Trilogy's Final Chapter in 'Before Midnight' | Video - ABC News

Quote:
Transcript for Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy on Romance Trilogy's Final Chapter

In the first movie of the romantic trilogy "before sunrise" we met a couple falling IN LOVE IN THEIR 20s AND "BEFORE Sunset" showed them reunited in THEIR 30s. WE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT. Now the new film "committed but complicated long-term relationship" with all the growing pains that come along with that stars ethan hawke and julie delpy join us now. Welcome.

Thank you. Wow, we're really in the eye of the storm here. Yes, exactly.

A lot of energy here. Here we are 18 years later. The third in a series of movies that didn't necessarily start out to be a series, correct?

I don't think either one of us had any idea we would be doing this 20 years later. Third, yeah. Lowest grossing film of all time to ever garnish -- your fans are so devoted.

I am among them an remember this movie so much and when you got to see them meet again and then you were left hanging, is he or isn't he going to be with her, we find out in this third installment. Yeah. Tell me how your relationship has changed when we first meet you all again.

Like the relationship with julie -- we all secretly want you to be together. Sorry about your others. Yeah, we're not.

we're not.

Like you were so happy. You know, we're not. What do fans get to see between the two of you in this movie.

You find them -- you just said it extremely well. You find them in a long-term relationship. First couple of movies are about romantic projection, a lot of it, what could be, what might have been, you know and this one is about what is.

Connecting, reconnecting and this is about like being in -- what happens when you get what you want and do you still want it? How hard is it to keep it alive. Yeah.

Get to the most beautiful places, first in vienna and paris and now you're in greece. You guys get a say in these locations. Yeah, that's pretty nice.

I mean, you know, we felt like -- nobody asked us what we think or where -- where, yeah. The director picked greece. He fell in love with, you know, he went on location scouting there and he fell in love with the place and we didn't want an urban -- the two were in cities, you know, we wanted like a more, you know -- not as urban as the first two.

This has made me feel better about how much I love these movies because it really does GET YOU IN THE SPIRIT OF THINGS. In fact, I heard that fans of the movie, these die-hard fans just actually inspired real marriages. You know, it's a very strange -- over the years, i mean -- we're responsible for a few children.

I mean, yeah. It's not every movie that can say that. Sure.

And a lot of them probably not that respectable. You got divorced to meet the love of your life back again in greece and all have twins actually, twin daughters. Yeah.

But you're dropping off your son back to his mom so shows the complication of real life and how relationships evolve and change and how you to make changes. You've had that in your life as well. Did you draw upon your own experiences.

Of course, these movies are totally drawn from the fabric of our lives. Sometimes it feels like a parallel universe. You know, we wanted to open the movie -- everybody always talks about follow your heart and follow your bliss and but oftentimes those kind of choices come with consequences and that no matter what path you walk down.

You don't get everything right. Right. And every path has its own complications and so we wanted to open the third movie with the complications of what it meant.

The collateral damage. Beautiful trilogy. I'm hoping for a fourth.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Then and Now: How Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Have Changed from ‘Before Sunrise’ to ‘Before Midnight’
By Juju Chang - May 17, 2013 6:14pm

Imagine growing older in the company of the ever-so-hip and handsome Ethan Hawke and the luminous Julie Delpy.

Ardent fans watched their characters fall in love in Vienna in their 20s in the 1995 romantic drama, “Before Sunrise,” and reunite with passion tinged with regret in their 30s in “Before Sunset” (2004). Now, as the characters near middle age, fans witness them wrestle with the cold realities of happily ever after in “Before Midnight.”

These movies have become underground classics, attracting legions of fans in part because they feel authentic.

In an interview with “Nightline,” Hawke and Delpy described what it has been like for them to experience the journey of two star-crossed lovers over the course of the trilogy.

“We tried to get to a place with Celine and Jesse in those three films … to bring as much truth as possible,” Delpy said. “It’s really just trying to find the right balance of something that rang true. But, at the same time, it’s totally fictional.”

The two were first cast in “Before Sunrise” when they were in their 20s.

“When Julie and I watch the first film, “Before Sunrise,” yeah, we’re young,” Hawke said. “Neither one of us have a wrinkle in the world. But we watch it and I remember how insecure we felt being that age.”

Both are now in their 40s, as are Celine and Jesse in “Before Midnight,” and their lives on-screen and off have deepened.

“Julie and I both feel pretty passionately about this,” Hawke said. “When you start telling young people that being 22 is the best years of your life, it’s really depressing because you’re completely discounting the idea of wisdom, the idea of growth, the idea of maturity, of knowledge.”

“And being happy in your 40s,” added the French actress, Delpy. “Because the truth is, when people ask me, it’s like, ‘Oh, you look back at the films,’ and you are like, I was like, ‘Oh my God, I was so miserable in my 20s.’”

“Before Midnight” opens in theaters nationwide on May 24.
Then and Now: How Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Have Changed from ‘Before Sunrise’ to ‘Before Midnight’ - ABC News

Quote:
'Before Midnight' strikes new path in couple's journey
The latest in the series of Richard Linklater indie films that began with 'Before Sunrise' finds Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy and their characters, Jesse and Celine, in their 40s and facing the common issues of that point in their lives.

By Steven Zeitchik
May 17, 2013, 2:00 p.m.

NEW YORK — "Before Midnight," Richard Linklater's third film about the relationship between an American man (Ethan Hawke) and French woman (Julie Delpy), closes with what might be the series' piece de resistance: a 30-minute hotel-room argument between the couple. Brutal and witty, the power dynamic shifts back and forth between the pair, as one grabs the upper hand and the other snatches it back.

The scene is so credible that at least one woman who'd seen the movie walked up to Linklater recently and told him she had begun to use some of the lines when she came to a disagreement with her husband.

"Great," Linklater said drolly. "We're helping America argue."

Americans may be back to arguing about, or at least discussing, Linklater's trilogy — "Before Sunrise," "Before Sunset" and now "Before Midnight" — when the new film arrives in theaters May 24. "Before Midnight's" interest in the struggles of an everyday couple and universal subjects such as relationships, death, parenthood and career ("a kind of anti-drama," Hawke said) would feel authentic in any moviegoing season. But against the summer backdrop of Iron Men and Starfleet commanders, "Before Midnight" may pack an even stronger emotional punch.

When the film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January, critics praised the film's portrait of a complicated relationship that is passionate, thoughtful, chatty and spiky.

"Before Midnight" catches up with Jesse and Celine after they've spent years together (and accumulated all the shared baggage that comes with such a commitment), so the film serves as a kind of time-lapse mirror. The first two movies tracked the pair from their callow 20s to their more enlightened 30s. "Midnight" reveals the stubbornness and insight that one's 40s can bring.

"We make these movies because of where we are in our own lives and what's changed since we made the last film," Linklater said as he dined with Hawke, 42, and Delpy, 43, at a Greek restaurant a few weeks ago. "But we hope part of the appeal is that people see their own lives in it too."

Going for three

A few years ago, Linklater, Delpy and Hawke didn't talk about a third film as more than jokey speculation, if that.

After all, it had been the better part of two decades since starry-eyed Celine had met the cynical Jesse on a train in "Before Sunrise," the early twentysomethings spending a night in Vienna walking and talking, then going their separate ways.

"Before Sunrise" wasn't a huge hit — in today's dollars it would have made only $8 million at the box office. But it resonated strongly with many who were in their late teens or 20s. That demographic was facing many of the questions Celine and Jesse were hashing out, and, like a previous generation that identified with films like "Easy Rider" and "Alice's Restaurant," "Before Sunrise" offered a big-screen reflection of their own small concerns. There was a wish-fulfillment aspect too: If you were riding a train in Europe during a transitional summer, wouldn't it be nice if that cute blonde across the aisle spontaneously decided to disembark and spend the day with you?

The strong Generation X identification, however, surprised Linklater, who said he aimed to make "Sunrise" a universal movie, scrubbing it of pop culture references. When journalists asked him what it was like to make a movie that represented a generation, the normally easygoing director would retort, "Um, did you watch the movie?"

Despite the fan base for "Before Sunrise," there was hardly a clamor for a sequel — Linklater jokes that the only people who wanted it were him, Hawke and Delpy. Yet they felt there was a new chapter to be told in what became "Before Sunset." Linklater, Hawke and Delpy wrote the sequel together (the first film was written by Linklater and Kim Krizan) and had Jesse and Celine run into each other in Paris and spend another day together.

In "Before Sunset," Celine and Jesse are in their early 30s, and the characters' lives were beginning to parallel the actors' own — like Hawke, Jesse had published a novel, fathered a son with another woman and was living in New York. Discussions about the precipice between youth and middle age filled the air. The movie wound up garnering an Oscar nomination in 2005 for original screenplay.

Though "Before Sunset" ended with a cliffhanger (Jesse skips his return flight to stay with Celine), for many years the actors had little interest in revisiting Celine and Jesse.

But in 2011, Delpy, who lives in Los Angeles, was on the East Coast shooting "2 Days in New York" near Hawke's Manhattan apartment. They decided to get together — and invited Linklater to fly in from his home in Austin, Texas, to join the reunion. As they sat one afternoon in Hawke's home, discussions grew more serious: What if, shortly after the finale of "Before Sunset," Celine and Jesse had actually gotten together and remained together since? And what if they made a movie about it?

It would be the rarest of things — a ruminative indie romance threequel — and allow filmgoers to peek in on Jesse and Celine as a live-in couple, which hadn't happened before.

"It was one of those situations where for many years we didn't think we had much more to say," Hawke said. "Then all of a sudden we kind of looked at each other and said, 'Let's find out if there's something here.'"

In the years after they got together for "Before Sunrise," Hawke, Delpy and Linklater all developed textured careers. Hawke became a hyphenate writing books and starring in and directing plays as well as appearing in a range of commercial and indie films including, in recent years, gritty crime pictures such as "Brooklyn's Finest" and "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead." Delpy has been less visible in America, though she gained a following after her own two American-French romances, "2 Days in Paris" and its 2012 sequel, "2 Days in New York," which she directed and starred in. She's also had indie film roles on both sides of the Atlantic and released a folk-pop album. And Linklater had returned to indie fare such as "Bernie" after more mainstream films such as "School of Rock" and "The Bad News Bears" in the 2000s.

But the "Before" series has a way of bringing each of them back. In the year after the meeting at Hawke's apartment, when two of the three were in the same city, the third would hop a flight, and the trio would toss around ideas. They imagined a new film would follow the basic template of the first two — a dialogue-heavy piece centered on Celine and Jesse over the course of a single day in Europe. By spring 2012, they had decided to make a movie and were hammering out a script in a hotel in Greece near potential locations.

With the suspense left at the end of "Before Sunset," the three had to decide where to pick up in the third installment. As "Midnight" begins, answers quickly come.

Jesse is in a Greek airport saying goodbye to his now-teenage son. He then gets into a car in which Celine is waiting. In the back seat are twin 8-year-old girls. Jesse and Celine, it turns out, became a couple after their last rendezvous and quickly conceived. They have never married but have been living together in Paris ever since. They are now concluding a summer vacation on a Greek island with their daughters and Jesse's son.

The movie tracks the pair across a set of distinct, extended scenes — there's a 14-minute single-take shot in the car; a dinner with couples young and old at a Greek retreat; and a walking-and-talking excursion through the unnamed island that calls back to the first two films. And then there's the epic hotel fight. Talking exuberantly over one another, as they tend to do, Linklater, Delpy and Hawke tried to describe it.

"The pace is crucial," Linklater said. "It all built to that fight," Hawke added. "It's an arc," Delpy suggested.

"There are movie fights, and then there are how fights really unfold," interjected Linklater. "In real life the fight often starts long before the actual fight."

Hawke: "And you're always trying to end the fight."

Delpy: "People drop little things."

Linklater: "Like, 'You're right.' 'As always.'"

Hawke: "And it's the 'As always.'"

Despite their history together, Linklater, Delpy and Hawke knew that it would take time to create the authenticity they sought for "Before Midnight." Ideas would surface and go nowhere (an alternate version had the film following Jesse and Celine separately as they went about their everyday Paris routines, then coming together for 15 minutes at the end of the film). So they let things gestate.

Months of writing gave way to weeks of rehearsal; scenes were changed, chiseled, then changed again. While many actors dismiss the idea that their roles have much to do with their actual lives, when these actors wrote, they would share personal stories and see if they could channel them into the film. Delpy's childhood memory of her father euthanizing the family cat, aimlessly recounted to Hawke, ended up on the screen. So did experiences that Delpy and Hawke, both parents, had with their significant others involving their children (neither had kids when the first movie was made).

One of the movie's signature lines — "You're the mayor of Crazytown," Jesse tells Celine, with an added expletive — was contributed by Hawke. He hints that it was inspired by something he said to ex-wife Uma Thurman, with whom he had a tabloid divorce.

Once the lines were set, they embarked on careful, demanding rehearsals.

"People are disappointed when they hear nothing is improvised," Linklater said.

"They want to believe you can just sit down and play Chopin," Hawke agreed.

"It really does have to feel natural," said Delpy. "If you mess up one scene that's it."

"If the camera catches you acting, the whole spell breaks," Hawke added. "After doing this, most movies are like a vacation."

Striking a balance

Experience is a funny thing, especially if you're using it to tell a story. Not enough of it and your creation will feel thin; too much and it can weigh down your tale with nostalgia. Linklater, who at 52 is a full decade older than the "Before" characters he created, said he feels he has struck the right balance in "Midnight."

"I think this movie is deeper and more interesting because most of us would like to think we're deeper and more interesting when we get older," he said. "We basically thought of it this way: 'If I could go back to my 23-year-old self and sign up for then what I have now, would I? And for these characters the answer is, 'Of course.' They've gotten, to a very high degree, what they want. And yet they're still two human beings. And no matter what two human beings achieve, there's a price to be extracted."

What the movie has to say about relationships can't be reduced to a simple message, except maybe that they're messy, beautiful and crazy-making. There are symbols and themes in the film, but no easy answers. Does a poignant scene of Jesse and Celine watching a setting sun, for instance, represent possibility or mortality? Linklater said he left it deliberately ambiguous and has found elements like that to be a Rorschach test for those who watch them.

While Linklater may not have intended "Midnight" to be a generational totem, given that it's about members of the first generation whose parents endured widespread divorce on the one hand and the possibilities afforded by sustained prosperity and increased mobility on the other, it winds up feeling that way just the same. Jesse and Celine are animated by the sense of a greater romantic possibility. But they are also clear-eyed about the tenuousness of it all, and it's the suspension between the two that makes their relationship so compelling and current.

"I think of Jesse and Celine as two separate beings who come alive in us. They go dormant for five or six years, and then they stick their heads out and go, 'Well, maybe I have something to say about who we are and the world around us," Linklater said. "They'll probably still be doing that when they're old enough for the senior center. Though I don't know if we'll be making a movie about them there."
'Before Midnight' strikes new path in couple's journey - latimes.com

Before Trilogy - Austin Film Society

Last edited by Gio Gio; 05-18-2013 at 07:35 AM
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Elite Fan

Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Elite Fan

Actress Julie Delpy and actor Ethan Hawke attend the premiere of Sony Pictures Classics' "Before Midnight" at the Directors Guild Of America on May 21, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.

Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke join together for the third and final installment of their love story trilogy at Before Midnight premiere | Mail Online

Premiere Of Sony Pictures Classics' "Before Midnight" - Zimbio
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Love hurts for Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy
Donna Freydkin, USA TODAY 9:06 p.m. EDT May 20, 2013

The actors revisit their beloved characters Jesse and Celine in 'Before Midnight.'

NEW YORK — Sex scenes are strange and uncomfortable at the best of times, when it's two strangers groping and fondling on camera.

It doesn't get any easier when the staged intimacy takes place between friends who have known each other almost two decades, as is the case with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.

"It makes it weirder. You feel a little bit like brother and sister," says Hawke, 42. "It's a strange thing to act with someone. I don't have to imagine what it was like when she was 23 and to be with her. I remember. We did kiss on the Ferris wheel in Vienna in 1994. We did do that! And a lot of the humor of the movies is built out of our humor, the way we like to tease each other."

The actors revisit the characters of Jesse and Celine, whom they first played in 1995's Before Sunrise and reprised in the sequel, 2004's Before Sunset, and the third installment of the series, Before Midnight, in select cities Friday. This time, the two are the parents of twin girls and are dealing with all the realities of a relationship that's stale and romantic and passionate and acrimonious and ardent all at the same time.

Filming the movie's pivotal love scene was an out-of-body experience for both actors, says Delpy, 43. "(I'm thinking), 'Ethan is touching me!' The good thing is that we love each other. It's not like, 'Ugh.' It's more like it's really uncomfortable. We have to disconnect ourselves entirely from who we are."

Yet when you're with them, what you feel is an authentic connection.

There's an ease, an unforced sense of comfort between Hawke and Delpy. He teases her about her foul mouth. She tells him how adorable his youngest child is. She likens her attention span to that of a cat, and he admonishes her to focus and pay attention. When, in the midst of a photo shoot, the photographer comments that the two seem to genuinely like each other as they banter and tease, Hawke retorts: "You should see us naked."

In fact, the two bare all emotionally — and, for Delpy in one extended scene, physically — in Before Midnight. As with the film's predecessors, Hawke and Delpy co-wrote the script with director Richard Linklater. And their efforts showcase what a real relationship looks like, full of wrinkles and jealousies and grudges and ill-timed arguments.

"I'm not scared of making my character unlikable, and Ethan is the same," Delpy says.

Her Celine is impetuous and at times irrational. Hawke's Jesse is self-absorbed and pedantic. And yet, together they create on-screen marital magic. Given the ardent, intricate wordplay between the two, it would be easy, but wrong, to simply think they're playing themselves. They're not. And it's a disservice to the intricate script to think that anything that's said is off the cuff. In fact, every single wanton, mean, loving, conflicted word Celine and Jesse utter is scripted.

Cautions Hawke: "This is not a portrait of me. It's their dynamic. Every couple has a dynamic."

The key to their appeal, Linklater says, is that they're almost like the rest of us.

"They are heightened normal. There's nothing extraordinary about them. They're not heroic," he says. "They are relatable. They don't feel like they're that far from yourself. They can put into words what all of us bumble through with in life. They're hyper-articulate."

In real life as well. The two admit to being leery of tinkering with the series and creating a third film that wouldn't be as timeless and loved as the first two. They started throwing around ideas a few years ago and, finally, during an intense 10-week period, sequestered themselves in Greece, where they wrote the script and shot the film in 15 days.

"It's been one of the great joys of my life to get to know them for 19 years. The people they were then was quite impressive to me. Both were kind of amazing. To see them grow and follow their careers — Ethan paints and writes novels and directs theater, and I see Julie, and she's getting a guitar lesson and, eight months later, is finishing an album with songs she wrote. They're such artists," Linklater says.

So much has changed since the two relative newcomers shot Sunrise in 1994. Los Angeles-based Delpy is the mom of Leo, 4, with film score composer Marc Streitenfeld. Hawke, who lives in New York, is married to his second wife, Ryan, and is the father of Indiana, 2, Clementine, 5, Levon, 11, and Maya, 15 (the last two from his first marriage to Uma Thurman). To both actors, their trilogy is something of an on-screen scrapbook.

"One of my favorite memories of my life is Julie and Rick picking me up from the airport in Austin. It was when the airport was tiny," Hawke says of shooting the first movie. "It felt like Austin was this remote little town. I walked out, and the first thing I said was, 'Let's go make a (expletive) movie.' And then we went and shot pool, and Julie was insanely competitive with me. She's so competitive. It was on."

They holed up in a motel and Linklater's office and developed the script. "We were younger then, so we had a lot to prove. Julie was 23, and she had already worked with (Jean-Luc) Godard and Volker Schlöndorff. This was an extremely intense young woman, and she was not overly impressed with me," Hawke says.

Not so, Delpy says. "I liked him. I'd seen Reality Bites and thought he was cute. I was not blasé or anything. Maybe my attitude seemed that way."

What goes through their minds when they see Before Sunrise?

"I think how much my son looks like me. Oh, my God, he's my spitting image," Delpy says. "I also think how miserable I was as a person. Young, suffering, every boyfriend that broke up with me. I was devastated for months and years. I was a mess."

"What went through my mind is how much the world has changed. That scene of Jesse and Celine in the listening booth and how romantic and old-fashioned that feels now," Hawke says.

And yes, they'd be open to doing a fourth one, if it made sense. For now, Hawke is busy with theater and plans to spend the summer with his kids, and Delpy just finished a French script. They talk and see each other when they can, but the camaraderie between them is real and, seemingly, enduring, despite the physical distance between them.

"There's a genuine affection there. It's legit. They're two very complex people, but the baseline of it all is that they have a real respect and love," Linklater says. "It's like a long-term relationship."
Love hurts for Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy

Third time's a charm for Hawke and Delpy
Hawke: Movie like being in a band « Express & Star
‘Before,’ and After - Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com
Speakeasy: Delpy, Hawke on Two Decades of Onscreen Love - WSJ.com
Review: Hawke, Delpy pitch-perfect in 'Midnight' - FederalNewsRadio.com
One Couple, Nearly 20 Years, All 'Before Midnight' | WYPR
Exclusive Interview: Rick Linklater on Before Midnight - CraveOnline
For Fans of its Predecessors, Proceed with Armor for Before Midnight - Movies - New York - Village Voice
Movie review: Hawke, Delpy's 'Before Midnight' is a raw, pitch-perfect look at mature love
Before Midnight - Movie Trailers - Fandango.com

Old 05-24-2013, 06:13 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
One more shot at romance in 'Before Midnight'
By CHRISTY LEMIRE
— May. 23 12:09 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The hardest segment to watch in "Before Midnight" — an extended, emotional hotel-room argument that comprises the film's final third — was actually the easiest to shoot, say co-stars Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy and director Richard Linklater.

The third film in the series, following 1995's "Before Sunrise" and 2004's "Before Sunset," finds loquacious lovers Jesse and Celine married and enjoying an idyllic Greek holiday with their beautiful twin daughters. Jesse, the easygoing American, is a successful novelist. Celine, the fiery Frenchwoman, is occupied with environmental concerns. They have a lovely life but, like so many couples, are struggling to juggle marriage, parenthood and careers. On what is meant to be a much-needed date night, long-held resentments bubble to the surface in a lengthy quarrel that's a tour de force of writing and acting.

The trio, who once again co-wrote the script (their "Before Sunset" screenplay earned them an Oscar nomination), sat down with The Associated Press this week to discuss their writing process and the challenge of keeping romance alive in your 40s. As you can imagine after 18 years of friendship and collaboration, they bounced off each other easily and often finished the others' sentences:

AP: The ending of 'Before Sunset' is so perfect and that's such a hard thing to achieve, but it left audiences wanting to know more. When did you guys realize you wanted to come back and do another of these?

Linklater: We've all paid the price for that ending over the past nine years because people have always asked us, it begged the question, "Will we be seeing Jesse and Celine again?" ... People wanted to know in a way that they didn't want to know after the first movie.

Hawke: A couple years after we finished, I really started getting that sensation that you get when there's a project left undone. I think it's the perfect ending, and I love it, but it's like a call that wants an answer. ... I wanted to know what happened to them, too.

Linklater: (In) "Before Midnight," that's really THE subject — how relationships change, is it romantic. That was one thing hanging in our heads: Is this film romantic? What is romance at 41? How do you define romance?

Delpy: Ohhh, love.

Hawke: Arthur Miller has a quote about how it's pretty easy to write about falling in love and pretty easy to write about breaking up, but there's something un-dramatic about the minutiae of day-to-day romance that doesn't lend itself to drama.

Delpy: We catch them in the moment of drama ...

Hawke: But it's subtle drama. They're not in the throes of a divorce. It's not "Kramer vs. Kramer."

Delpy: That was the challenge, unlike the two other ones which are super romantic in essence. ... It's scary territory because of the complexity of how to make this, not wanting people to run off after five minutes.

Linklater: It was definitely a tougher assignment, for sure. But we were operating from this thing about, well, we're going to be very honest and go into some territory that might be uneasy but I think, overarchingly, we still felt that it was romantic because they're still communicating. They're still making each other laugh. They still kinda want to sleep together, so that's good.

AP: So why go in this very serious direction?

Linklater: It's age-appropriate.

Delpy: Well, what are you supposed to do? Like, oh, he took that plane and in the end they meet again!

AP: What are the odds?!

Linklater: Like, they're both married but they see each other at a restaurant.

Delpy: We had to go there, even though it was much more scary territory than, oh, they meet again. To me, to all of us, that seemed ridiculous. Now they are together. They are dealing with the real deal of meeting your soul mate and living with that soul mate.

AP: What were the various avenues you guys might have gone down as far as where you set it ...

Delpy: We explored millions of them: San Francisco, upstate New York ...

Linklater: Argentina. But you know, they weren't always on holiday. Initially, we were gonna jump really in: Let's pick 'em up on a Tuesday ...

Hawke: You were gonna see all that stuff ...

Linklater: You're working, you're writing, you've gotta go to a thing, who's gonna pick up the kids? Really domestic. And after all that, you really only get time at the end of the evening, right before midnight, so, oh, we'll build up to that. We hung with that for, like, six months. And you know what? That's kind of a grind. Once we got onto holiday we felt, we can still infuse it with all that domesticity: parenting and responsibility ...

Hawke: Sunscreening the kids. But better to hear about it in a fight than to see somebody shopping.

AP: The scene in the hotel — the big, huge fight — it feels so personal, it feels so cutting. I wonder if there were moments when you were going beyond acting to actually cutting each other to the core.

Hawke: You could say that about any serious, viable art. If you're not cutting to your core, even in a comedy, it's not funny. If you're not cutting to your core, you're not saying anything that might be worth paying 10 bucks to see. We love each other so we're in a safe environment to do that. Did I feel all year like I went through something by making the movie? Definitely ...

Delpy: But it feels good, too. There's something emotional — you still feel something, like you grow from it.

Linklater: This felt more cathartic than the other two in that way just 'cause the subject we're dealing with is much deeper and more real in a way, more connected to the world we live in.

Delpy: Also, Rick is — not to rub it in, but — he's 10 years older than we are. (Turns to Linklater) I mean really, you are. So he has a different perspective. I mean, we are in the fire of the moment of being that age when we talk about it. And he has this 10-year thing, which is a perfect balance in a way.

Linklater: I already know the next film but I'm not telling. (They all laugh.)

AP: How exhausting was it just shooting the fight scene?

Linklater: I don't know from your guys' perspective, I felt really in control. The scenes, they weren't 13-minute takes. So it was kind of a series of little things ...

Delpy: I think we had more fun doing that scene than the rest of it ...

Linklater: It was near the end, it was the last thing we shot ...

Hawke: There was no pressure about the light. If you think about all those long takes, it's all about: The light has to be right. Because the light's going to be wrong in a half an hour, it means Julie and I really have two to three takes to get it right, and it's a lot of pressure.

Delpy: Here, we were in a room, blocked-out windows, you forget the pressure of other things. The acting was intense, but sometimes doing less is harder for an actor. We are trained as actors to be emotional, to be ...

Hawke: Dramatic. The fight scene allowed us to access that ...

Delpy: It's all of that and the rest of it is the opposite.

Hawke: No acting.

Delpy: And that's harder.
One more shot at romance in 'Before Midnight'

Before Midnight Red Carpet Event | MomTrends

Popcorn Karaoke: Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy | Video - ABC News
Nine Years Later, Once More
Delpy, Hawke still wield their charm 'Before Midnight'
Movie Review - 'Before Midnight' - Richard Linklater Spends More Quality Time With Jesse And Celine : NPR
Ethan Hawke Says Working With Delpy & Linklater Is Like Being In A Band
Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Elite Fan

New still

Movie Review Before Midnight - Ethan Hawke Julie Delpy Before Midnight Movie - ELLE

Quote:
Before Midnight's Rare, Beautiful Message: Love Is Really, Really Hard
It's the best installment in Richard Linklater's romantic trilogy because it's the wisest.
Jason Bailey - May 24 2013, 7:46 AM ET

Richard Linklater's 1995 film Before Sunrise and its first sequel, 2004's Before Sunset, tell a pair of simple stories. In the first, a young American named Jesse (Ethan Hawke) strikes up on a conversation on a train with a pretty French girl named Celine (Julie Delpy). There's a spark, and on the spur of the moment, he makes a suggestion: that she get off the train with him and spend the night walking and talking in Vienna. Intrigued, she takes him up on the rather risky invitation, and over the course of that night, they fall into something resembling love. In the second film, the couple reconnects nine years later, as Jesse (now an unhappily married father) spends the last few hours of his European book tour—he wrote a novel based on their initial encounter—catching up with Celine in Paris. That film ends with the hint that he might make a choice as daring as hers at the beginning of the first: to "miss that plane," and hit the reset button on his entire existence.

In other words, the first two films were about the reckless impulsiveness of young romance. Ingeniously, the third film in the series, Before Midnight, is about the consequences of that impulsiveness.

A word of warning: If you've somehow managed to avoid learning where Jesse and Celine have landed, by all means, preserve that surprise. The 2004 film managed to keep the narrative specifics under wraps, but that was a different time in movie marketing, and since the trailers and promotional materials for this one aren't keeping the secret, it's apparently up for discussion. So here's what's what: Jesse did, in fact, miss that plane. He and his wife split, he and Celine have cohabitated but not wed, and they have a pair of twin girls together. They live in Paris, so Jesse doesn't see his son from his previous marriage as much as he'd like, and as the film begins, he's putting the boy on a plane for the States at the end of a family vacation in Greece.

During that goodbye, his son mentions that a proposed visit is a bad idea, "because Mom hates you so much." Linklater's camera follows Jesse back to the car tentatively; Celine and his daughters wait there, but it's a sad trudge, and the contrast to the previous pictures is evident immediately. This life with Celine was, for years, all that he wanted, and the primary preoccupation of his imagination. But now it's a reality, and reality is messier than the flights of fantasy in fiction.

That realization becomes clearer as the particulars of Jesse and Celine's situation reveal themselves. As his son indicated, relations with Jesse's ex-wife are strained; "Why do you think she still hates me so much?" Celine asks. The infrequent visits of the long-distance relationship with his son are getting to Jesse ("I just don't think I can keep doing this"), and he asks her to consider moving to Chicago, so he can be "more present" in his son's life. Celine resists. And it is this bit of tension—a question of geography, not of love or lust—that calls their entire relationship into doubt over the course of Before Midnight's long evening.

The centerpiece of that evening, and of the film, is an encounter in a hotel room, played out in 30 minutes of real time. Their Greek friends have booked the room for the couple and are taking care of their twins, so that they can have a night to themselves, and with simple plotting and stage direction, the scene masterfully examines how a couple can blow a sure thing for themselves. The foreplay is comfortable and homey, but the tension is too thick and knocks them off-course; they start pushing buttons, killing the mood, making the conscious decision not to let things slide. (Even with the dialogue muted, you can track their miscommunication by the wildly divergent removal and retrieval of clothing items.) Much of the scene plays, as these films often do, in long takes, which gives the audience little relief from the all-out, everything-on-the-table viciousness of their fighting. Early on, Celine says "I'm kidding and I'm not, all right," but by the time they get to that hotel, she's not kidding anymore.

It's unnerving and difficult to watch these two avatars for idealistic young love going at each other with such venom—it's like seeing Romeo and Juliet battle. But by grappling with the reality that must eventually invade even the most starry-eyed of romances, Before Midnight becomes the finest, most grown-up film yet in the series. A character says that Jesse's third novel is "a better book—it's so much more ambitious," and that holds for the films as well, because the first two films are about possibility, and the third is about reality.

In Before Sunrise, Celine closes her eyes and takes a leap with Jesse; at the end of Before Sunset, Jesse returns the favor. But acts of reckless abandon have consequences, and in Before Midnight, the couple must deal with those consequences. Yet—and this is the genius of the picture, and the grandness of its achievement—the film demonstrates that a relationship strong enough to withstand the fallout of those actions is infinitely more impressive than the entirely harmonious one of romantic imagination. Before Sunrise imagined romantic love as yours for the taking. Before Sunset saw it as something that might slip from one's grasp. Before Midnight looks it straight in the eye and calls it out as hard ****ing work. "It's not perfect," as Jesse says. "But it's real."
Before Midnight's Rare, Beautiful Message: Love Is Really, Really Hard - Jason Bailey - The Atlantic

Quote:
Joel Stein Talks with the Director and Stars of Before Midnight
By Joel Stein - May 23, 2013

I sat down with director Richard Linklater and actors Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke to talk about their new movie, Before Midnight, which follows their two characters from Before Sunrise (1995) and Before Sunset (2004). The three also co-wrote Midnight and Sunset. For a very thoughtful, touching essay on the film that ran in the magazine (and is accessible to subscribers), click here.

TIME: In the first film, Before Sunrise, there’s a moment when they first kiss…

JULIE DELPY: Tongue, tonsil, tongue, tonsil…

RICHARD LINKLATER: That was my direction: tongue, tonsil, tongue, tonsil

ETHAN HAWKE: It was one of my worst experiences on a film set. It’s sunset on that beautiful Ferris wheel and we’re supposed to be having this beatific experience. We do this kiss scene, and as soon as Rick goes “Cut,” Julie’s like, “Ewww! He kisses like an adolescent!”

That’s a line in the movie.

HAWKE: We work everything in, buddy.

That’s a particularly painful thing to work in.

HAWKE: It’s not interesting if it’s not painful.

LINKLATER: Ethan is brave that way.

At the beginning of Before Midnight, I made an audible gasp when we find out that Jesse and Celine are still together. After I saw the movie, I was like, “Of course they are; how would they make a movie otherwise?” But was there a discussion about it?

HAWKE: I think the gasp is—it’s two films of wanting these people to be together and they’re not together. It’s weird that Before Sunset is this incredibly romantic film—people cite it as a romantic film—and we never kiss. Who makes a romance where the two characters never even kiss?

LINKLATER: As soon as Before Sunset fades out, the audience gets to fill in. They can go to town with what happens next. That was a good place for us to stop.

HAWKE: A good place for the third one to begin was with the ramifications. When you follow your passion, there are consequences. And the consequences are Hank, Jesse’s son—he’s the one who suffers from Jesse following his heart.

But you could have made the other choice: Jesse could have gone back to his life with his wife and son. Were you all on the same page?

DELPY: We felt like we couldn’t make a third one where they meet again by accident and flirt again. Either they went for it in their 30s, or they didn’t and there’s no film.

HAWKE: If we had had an essential disagreement like you’re talking about, the movie probably wouldn’t have happened. Like we would meet sometimes and somebody would say, “I see Jesse as a war correspondent in Afghanistan.” And the others were like, “That movie isn’t going to get written because you lost your two writing partners.”

So sometimes one of you would have an idea the other two would shoot down?

HAWKE: Some of my best **** was nixed by these morons.

LINKLATER: The first film, we spent a lot of time being polite and trying not to hurt people’s feelings. At this point we have such a shorthand.

DELPY: We don’t get offended.

HAWKE: All three of us have other outlets. So if Julie comes with this awesome scene she wrote, and Rick and I are, like, we don’t like it—

DELPY: —I use it in something else. There’s a line that didn’t make it into [my film] 2 Days in New York that made it into this one, about being inspired and not being able to express yourself because you’re too busy taking care of your kids.

HAWKE: There’s a moment in Before Midnight where Jesse clocks another girls’ ass as she walks by. And when we broke for lunch, this Steadicam operator was upset. He said, “I don’t think Jesse would do that. I just believe in their love more.” I said, “Look, you’re in some romantic box. Part of the idea of making this movie is to make something that’s truly romantic, which means being human. And if Jesse doesn’t find that girl’s ass attractive, he has other problems.”

DELPY: But not everybody’s a pig like you.

HAWKE: My wife was glad we included that, because it’s not some idealized version of a man.

LINKLATER: Your wife is like, “If you can hit that, go ahead.”

Where else did you think these characters might be now?

LINKLATER: Early on, we had this idea of making the movie just a Wednesday in their lives.

HAWKE: We see them shopping, picking up the kids from school.

DELPY: Then at night they meet.

LINKLATER: Then we thought, “That’s kind of grueling.”

HAWKE: The first two films are so much fun; we didn’t want to lose that escape feeling. We didn’t want it to be a movie about how being 40 sucks.

Did you see Judd Apatow’s This is 40?

LINKLATER: Yeah. It’s good. It’s very soulful. It’s rare in Hollywood that anyone even gets that opportunity, that someone uses his clout to say something.

You do, too.

LINKLATER: I should hope for our budget that I can do whatever the hell I want.

Plus Apatow needed jokes.

LINKLATER: But they’re both comedies in a way.

DELPY: It’s pretty funny, the fight in our film.

What’s the funny part of the fight?

HAWKE: People laugh a lot. It’s nervous laughter.

DELPY: “How dare he say that?”

HAWKE: It’s funny the way Scenes from a Marriage is funny. Scenes from a Marriage is hysterical but it’s devastating.

So Before Midnight isn’t just a day in the life?

HAWKE: There are days of our lives that are more substantive than other days.

LINKLATER: It’s often by physical circumstances. The emotions of dropping off Hank. The end of a vacation. Summer is over—there a certain tone to that. Your friends have imposed a little vacation on you. It’s like an Obama date night. “You’re going to have a great time!”

HAWKE: I wanted the fight not to have a clear bad guy. Wouldn’t it be interesting to see a movie with two well-meaning people who love each other and they still fight? Okay, he cheated: he’s bad. She cheated: she’s bad. He’s an alcoholic: he’s bad. Life just never feels that way when you’re in it.

DELPY: This idea that the man cheats and the woman isn’t cheating is totally bull****.

LINKLATER: Our audience might appreciate the honesty. Jesse and Celine are in the statistical norms — 72 percent of women have had some kind of dalliance in their marriage and 70 percent of men. You would think it would be more men, but women are just so smooth about it, you find out ten years later. With men, you find out the next morning, because we’re so clumsy. During the Clinton administration they said that very few marriages in our culture could survive a Whitewater investigation. If you could sink $6 million into detective work for every relationship, you’re going to dig up a blowjob somewhere.

What about when he says, “You’re ****ing nuts.” How hurtful is that?

DELPY: What would be hurtful is “You’re ****ing boring, I have nothing to say to you.” But you’re crazy? Seriously, would you mind being called crazy? It’s kind of exciting.

HAWKE: Jesse is on the ball enough to know that he’s in love with a dynamic, powerful woman and he’s willing to take the good with the bad.

There are points in marriages where the things you once found charming and cute inevitably become annoying.

HAWKE: What Celine found so charming about Jesse’s little theories—now she’s rolling her eyes when he talks about his books. I have a really good friend who is one of the funniest people in the world and wife just sits there while the whole table is roaring.

LINKLATER: The fact that they eat together, they talk to one another, they make each other laugh, they still seem to want to sleep together—that’s about as good as you’re going to do at a certain point.

Do you like your characters? Would you want to hang out with them?

LINKLATER: Certainly. They’re a fun couple to have at dinner.

DELPY: I don’t know if I’d like her.

HAWKE: That’s not true.

LINKLATER: Of course you would like her.

HAWKE: You’d find her very attractive.

LINKLATER: You’d want to have sex with her.

DELPY: I’d make out with her?

HAWKE: This is how ideas get developed. Just sitting around bull****ting, and somebody makes a joke and we say, “Actually, that’s a good idea.”

DELPY: It’s fun to recreate those nine years. That’s the work we do.

HAWKE: That love scene we have is way more intimate than anything I’d be able to achieve with somebody else. You can’t fake the fact that you’ve actually known someone for 18 years.

DELPY: I can fake it.
Joel Stein Talks with the Director and Stars of Before Midnight | TIME.com

Quote:
Script: Deleted Scene Unearthed From 'Before Midnight'
By Nick Blake | May 23, 2013 | 2:00 PM

This week sees the release of the third installment of Richard Linklater's now-legendary "Before" series (Can we call it the "Before" series? Tell you what, we're calling it the "Before" series), where Ethan Hawke's Jesse and Julie Delpy's Celine intimately discuss the complex nuances of life and love, employing every vast, desolate corner of the English language in the process.

In a NextMovie exclusive (meaning, we went through Linklater's trash), we've stumbled upon a deleted scene from the script of "Before Midnight" that was unfortunately rendered a wee bit dated since Linklater first wrote it sometime between 2005 and 2007. It becomes increasingly obvious why the scene didn't make the final cut of the film.
Deleted Scene Unearthed From 'Before Midnight' | NextMovie

Quote:
Interview: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delphy and Richard Linklater Talk About 'Before Midnight'
Posted by Melissa Molina on May 23rd, 2013

Richard Linklater has been on the independent film scene for decades, notable for such 90′s highlights as Slacker and Dazed and Confused. But as great as those films are, his trilogy of Before movies is his career triumph. It’s started with Before Sunrise, which followed what happened one night between an American traveler (Ethan Hawke) and a beautiful French woman Celine (Julie Delpy). The story picked up nine years later in Before Sunset, as the two came together after nearly a decade to talk about what that night meant for them. Nine years later, Richard Linklater and company bring us Before Midnight, which could be the concluding tale to this romantic trilogy.

When Before Sunrise was made it was set to simply be one film and that would be it. But over time the filmmaker and actors found themselves caught up in the world of Jesse and Celine a lot longer than they anticipated. The marriage of the filmmaker and actors (all three wrote the sequels together) and Linklater’s direction has worked perfectly throughout the years, and continues to do so again as we follow the couple in their 40s dealing with another set of problems tests the strength of their relationship. Hawke and Delpy have lived within these characters for so many years it only makes sense that we hear more about the inner workings of Jesse and Celine through them and the filmmaker Richard Linklater in our interview below.

What did you relate to the most about Celine and where she is now in her 40s? What aspect of her emotional story resonate to you the most?

Julie Delpy: About Celine, I really wanted to make sure that she was a strong woman, she’s looking towards the future, she’s not someone who dwells in the past, and she’s a very active person. She could seem at times very vindictive and she’s not going to let someone tell her what to do or how it should be done. She also believes that if they do move to Chicago, it will destroy their relationship. It’s not just about the work, and she’s completely convinced of that. She’s probably, personally I think she’s right. I think she makes sense. To me it was very important that she’s not the wife of the writer. She’s her own person and that’s very important for me to depict that character as so. It’s the same for Richard and Ethan to make sure that it’s not just the wife, otherwise it’s out of balance. Then it’s a film about a guy who has a nice French girlfriend, French wife. It was very important to make sure it is balanced. That’s our goal actually, that when we write this it’s neither macho or feminist or man-hating. She doesn’t hate men. It’s like we find the right balance between the two.

Over the span of 18 years, how has the characters and the stories changed you guys as performers or actors?

Ethan Hawke: I’d like to say I learned how to speak on camera on Before Sunrise. As a young actor, you kind of get asked to pose or affect an emotion, but Richard wanted Julie and I to talk and to be present in front of the camera, to not act. This adventure in not-acting started then, and it’s–

Julie Delpy: I was thinking about that, because it’s really hard actually. You really are rarely asked to do that as actors, maybe once in a film, doing a big monologue to tell a story. You might have it once every 10 films, but usually it’s like dialogue, dialogue, one word, one word, but here it’s big chunks. You should see the script. It can sound really boring if we’re not super duper natural at saying it. It sounds like we’re telling the story to someone we care for, so that’s the real challenge of these films. That’s been the challenge of actors every time. As writers we worked on the screenplay of the first film, but it was really how to learn to really talk on camera without being boring, and that’s the hardest thing. To tell a story on camera without sounding boring is the hardest thing. I’ve experienced it on other films and it’s really, really hard. So it’s finding the right tone to do it.

Richard Linklater: I don’t know if we evolved that much. I think the way we work over these films is very similar to the dynamic between us. We’re a band whose still performing in a very similar manner. We’re the Ramones or something. The way we sat in Vienna, 19 years ago is the way we’re inter-dynamic. The way we push each other and pull out.

Did you ever feel like you were going too far or you had to stop and cry it out in between takes during the more pivotal scenes of the movie?

Richard Linklater: Your question about do we ever go too far, usually in the script phase we think we’ve gone too far, that’s usually in a spot we should explore. What people think is too far is usually not that far.

Julie Delpy: What’s funny is, to me, is when you drew those scenes that lean on emotions, I feel that actors– I mean it’s pleasurable for an actor to cry, to suffer. It’s a pleasant thing for an actor. That’s what we trained for. We trained to do it. When you see someone on camera crying and being hurt, they actually enjoy it. This is our training. [laughs] Actually what’s most painful is the simple things, that’s the hardest thing to find as an actor. Believe it or not, the walk in that beautiful village that we were at, is actually more draining as an actor than… It is draining as an actor to do scenes where you’re emotional and stuff, but there’s a certain pleasure to it. I can’t explain, or maybe I’m weird.

Richard Linklater: It’s funny too. Not that Jesse and Celine think it’s funny, but as writers we know it’s–

Ethan Hawke: What’s fun is what’s challenging. We dove into it. We were locked in that room for a long time and we came out with that scene. The whole film had been filming to that. We filmed that part in sequence, for us it was challenging? Yeah, but we were so glad to be there.

Celine is one of the most honest women we’ve seen in film and she’s so real in terms of how she’s developed and aged and grown. Have you reflected on that, that there aren’t many women like Celine in cinema?

Julie Delpy: It’s always been my issue since I’ve been very young. I’ve seen movies and stuff and I see complex women. But I remember as a kid growing up, I’d be like, “Okay, I see complex women in like Bergman films. I see it in some plays.” There’s very few. Usually, it’s like one dimension if any. Two dimensions is a miracle. It’s really hard to find characters that are written in a way that is truthful, multi-dimensional. She’s not good, she’s not bad. She can be a bitch, she can be adorable. You have that in male characters a lot. You have extremely complex, extremely conflicted characters and stuff. There’s been characters like that too a lot for example in the cinema in the ‘70s. The US was wonderful. In the ‘60s, it was wonderful. Then it kind of died in the ‘80s when the woman became one-dimensional again. Something happened. I don’t know what it is. Anyway, for me it’s essential. For us too because we really work together. It’s not me writing just Celine. I write tons of lines for Jesse. We all write for each other. But basically, to make sure the character is really multi-dimensional and really real, and not some kind of cut-out cardboard of a fantasy or something like that. I would never let that happen anyway, with me in that room. And they wouldn’t let me do that anyway.

When you were casting the original roles, what made you cast Ethan and Julie? And for Ethan and Julie, what did you see in these roles that you wanted to audition for them?

Ethan Hawke: We had other actors there, seeing how they looked together. I remember seeing we had other actors. We were kind of mixing and matching and doing scenes, working together a little bit.

Julie Delpy: I auditioned with another guy and you auditioned with another girl. How was it? I never asked you. [laughs]

Ethan Hawke: Sometimes on my darkest days, I think about it. [laughs]

Julie Delpy: I never asked you that. Would you have liked her better?

Ethan Hawke: That’s a trick question. There’s a funny thing though that I just remembered is that there was a day early, mid-development of Before Sunrise, where Rick told us we would get to choose our characters’ names, you said our creation myth. I’d never done that. It was this long thing of like, “Well, what should the character be named?” It’s a funny ownership you get to have of your own character. Having more experience in film now, I can’t believe that Rick asked us to be a part of that, these two young people. I mean, it’s such a dangerous thing to do. It’s such a difficult thing to do.

What relationship advice can we give to or get from Jesse and Celine?

Ethan Hawke: The fun of this is you’re just seeing them warts and all. That’s all we can do or all we’ve tried to do is try to put three-dimensional, real human beings on screen and put them in a relationship with each other and watch them age 20 years. You can take from that whatever you can. He was a prick when he said that. That’s the dream. We don’t have any advice. All we’re doing is try to play out some reality. And the hope is that by doing that, somebody else can use their wisdom and enjoy it. I don’t know — make sense out of it or not.

Julie Delpy: I don’t know. Relationships are so complex, so in relation to who you are. It’s so specific. We explore one kind of relationship with two kinds of people and that’s it. There’s a million things that are common to — it’s impossible. It’s endless. In a way, it is amazing because I think human beings have endless things to tell because there’s endless complexity to each of us as individuals.

Ethan Hawke: And that’s what was cool about the location of Greece. Greece is this place where love stories, they’ve been told for thousands of years. And they always feel new.

Julie Delpy: I think for my character I really wanted to make her a fighter because I felt that so many people in a relationship give up and then they build more resentment that if they were fighting it at the moment, they should be fighting it. I think that’s what destroys relationships is when the woman or the man will say, “Okay, fine. Let’s do it like that.” Then, they are never happy. I think that’s the end of a relationship is when someone gives up the fight that they really believe is what makes them happy, makes the relationship work, etc. The 20-year-old that was gasping every time I opened my mouth, she doesn’t know yet that’s the secret of making a relationship work because she doesn’t know yet, which is fine. Or maybe she knows and she thinks it’s another. I don’t know. You know what? The truth is there’s no rules on how to make a relationship work.
Interview: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delphy and Richard Linklater Talk About ‘Before Midnight’

ethan hawke, julie delpy, and richard linklater, nyc premiere of "before midnight," tribeca film festival, 4/22/13 - a set on Flickr
Closed Thread   Post New Thread