Tumblr || icon by me || Josie
KeepThisaSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You've already been added
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlennie (View Post)

I don't like Ian\Wanda at all to be honest....
If I was honest with myself I don't care for them much either. They both come of hypocritical at some points in the book. Wanda calling them monsters when her race including her has caused countless genocides. Ian and all his how does Wanda feel moments when clearly he doesn't give a crap about Melanie. The person who actually owns that body. It's easier to be all peaceful and kind to Wanda because he didn't know Melanie. Heck most of the people who are kind to Wanda don't know Melanie. I know I'm supposed to have some sympathy for Wanda and Ian. Maybe even understand, but I can't seem to muster it up. Wanda choice to be apart of all of this. She might not have not realized how it would feel to be in a human body, but she wasn't forced into it. I have wondered if any other characters cared about Melanie including her brother. It doesn't come off that way a lot of time. It seemed like it was all about Wanda. It's one reason why I love Jared so much because he cares about her, his thoughts are about her first not Wanda like it is with everyone else. That's why that last scene made me cringe. I was hoping someone would always put Melanie first and not fall under the Wanda "spell". I don't think he fell in love with her. I do think he came to love her/care about her though. If anything it came off more as a plot devise. They could have gone other ways without going there.

Some give the reason that why they can sympathize with Wanda not Jared or even Melanie is because we are reading from her point of view. I don't need to read from either Jared or Melanie's (total) point of view to sympathize with either one of them. People seem to forget that Jared lost his whole family to the souls. Not just being taken over, but some were killed because of this result. On top of that after gaining some hope, some real happiness with Mel (really to me the love of his life) he loses her as well. He has ever right to hate Wanda. Also Melanie lost her parents too. Just because the souls seem to have made thing better and they're not traditionally being violent what they did still is. They have slowly killed the human race and took away free will. That alone garner's my sympathy already. Also it seems to have left their minds that Ian had tried to kill Wanda at some point.

Both Jared and Melanie are layered flesh out characters. I personally don't feel that way about at least Ian. He seems to be tailor made just to be there for Wanda. Stephenie's words about his character makes me think that too. I was glad to know that when she wrote Jared it didn't feel right for him to fall in love with Wanda/getting with her. Makes me love his character more.

I don't totally dislike Wanda, but I don't care for her either. It was good of her in the end that she acknowledged what she has done, what her race has done was wrong and that she wanted to be taken out of Melanie's body. I'm not a fan of Ian and his holier than thou attitude he kept through out the whole book even to the end of it.

I do worry about the sequels. Is there going to be less of Jared and Melanie because it seems they're not as popular as Wanda and Ian? I hope that isn't the case at all. I hope the whole square/triangle garbage is over with.

The part in the trailer where Ian makes the comment about how they should still act human to Jared made me roll my eyes. If these were the traditional aliens of other films ugly and nasty he wouldn't be saying that at all. They might not be those things, but the goal is all the same.
*OldHollywoodStarlet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sorry if I killed this thread. I don't like getting into analyzing ships I don't care about or writing anything negative. It just not my thing at all. I see no reason for it. Heck there isn't any reason why these two ship's fandoms should be even fighting since it's not even a triangle like Twilight. This fandom should be happy and happy for each others ships with all the new goodies. I would have ignored it and most of the time I do (I don't mind it if some people don't ship them), but the amount of bashing Jared/Melanie are getting was getting on my nerves and the fact that some forget they both have real reasons to hate/dislike both Ian and Wanda angered me so much. Even I have moments where I snap. Now apparently their love for each other is obsessive. Yeah because trying to get your love one back and not liking someone who took (or maybe killed) them over is obsessive. Ian and Wanda would fall in the category too. We had no reason to have this kind of contention in The Host fandom, but apparently some want that anyway. This is the last on say on this subject or at least try to.

I found some videos.

There are so many beautiful arts and gifs about them. Such much talent! I had hard time choosing one.

Source
Old 11-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Elite Fan

Please add me to the list Jared/Melanie was one of the few things I actually liked about the book.

Well I liked most of it except for Wanda/Ian. I think the idea of the couple was very good but it was so poorly executed and everything was so cheesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *OldHollywoodStarlet* (View Post)
I do worry about the sequels. Is there going to be less of Jared and Melanie because it seems they're not as popular as Wanda and Ian? I hope that isn't the case at all. I hope the whole square/triangle garbage is over with.
If the sequels are mostly about Wanda/Ian, I won't read them. I could barely stomach the last chapters of the book because of them.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Same here, I have trouble with the Ian/Wanda ship, but that's probably cause my main ship is Jared/Mel.

And Tara, you didn't kill the thread, I just have trouble responding to such smart posts (I am not a writer. At all.) but I agree with you for the most part!! Jsyk

Love the art

Oh, and Nelly I will add you now!! Welcome to the thread
Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you

My problem with Wanda/Ian has nothing to do with Jared/Mel. I liked them in the beginning and I thought it was an interesting idea but it was so poorly executed. Everything was so cheesy and rushed. I couldn't stop cringing during some parts.

Also I hope Wanda has her own body at the end of the movie and that they don't change the ending.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Welcome Nelly! I hope that's the same too.
I don't want that extra chapter to be apart of it. I try not to think about that chapter at all be honest.

Thank you Heleen. I'm always nervous when I post those long posts, so when I don't get a response I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Source

More videos.

Who else is going to get The Host: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion book. I totally am!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Master Fan

when is the 2nd book supposed to come out ?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Nobody knows. Not anytime soon....

Nelly- I hope they keep the ending the same, too!

Amazing videos, Tara!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Master Fan

what are they gonna do if the movie is a success?
Thay cannot keep the actors under contract forever
Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

There's no way a major studio doesn't have this sequels thing planned out and that includes actors and potential book sequels. In any case the movie needs to be successful first.

Well there was 1.5 years between the first THG and the second one so I guess there is that time still.
shmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I hope that the movie is a success cause the book was amazing.

I really want the second book to happen because I'm huge fan of Ian&Wanda, and Mel/Jared too. I love them both. I was always more of a Ian&Wanda fan but the love for Mel&Jared was always there, and they always loved each other.

i love you. ♡
21:21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Master Fan

I want the movie to be successful because i love Saoirse as an actress
Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

I want it to be successful too, I really like the cast too. But the truth is this fandom is kind of quiet compared to others (which is nice in it's own way)
shmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread