Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think people are forgetting that Rafael was born in Italy. River is not his biological mother.

Last edited by flowerpetals; 06-08-2019 at 06:29 PM
Old 06-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
They keep acting like it's a bad thing. They are always attacking fans saying we only like rafael cause he is hot.
That's such a weak argument. Generally, whichever character fans like they're not sitting around thinking, "wow my fave is ugly".

Rafael being hot barely stratches the surface of why fans love him. If after 5 seasons they don't get that. They never will.
Philanthropist.

You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away – I am IRON MAN.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpetals (View Post)
I think people are forgetting that Rafael was born in Italy. River is not his biological mother.
You're right. But the show can easily retcon that by saying the documents were faked. Or River is actually Italian. You get the idea. I actually don't like the theory because I'm not a big fan of River. But I think it's plausible.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

Also isn't the implication that we only like Raf because he's hot kind of an insult to their fav? Like they're all basically confirming that they think Rafael is hotter than Michael. If I were Brett Dier, I think I'd be a little offended that my diehard fans use that in every shipper argument. Michael isn't hideous by any stretch but you would think he was a fugly troll by the way they blather on and on about how we're all just 12-year-olds who only want Raf for his looks.

I am rarely drawn to characters like Rafael this much. He's outside the mold of every favorite character I have loved for the past 5 years. So I really do like him for so many reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with his looks. He's objectively very attractive but I also see why people find Michael attractive too so looks haven't been a deciding factor. Michael being a sh**ty person and the narrative never addressing his BS was.

Re: Rafael's Mom Spec. I definitely don't want it to be River either.
Spoiler:
Old 06-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame (View Post)
Also isn't the implication that we only like Raf because he's hot kind of an insult to their fav? Like they're all basically confirming that they think Rafael is hotter than Michael.

Re: Rafael's Mom Spec. I definitely don't want it to be River either.
Spoiler:
Per the bolded: Haha exactly!

River is as likely to be Raf's mom as Jane is to marry Michael in the end. lol
Spoiler:
Old 06-08-2019, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp (View Post)
That's such a weak argument. Generally, whichever character fans like they're not sitting around thinking, "wow my fave is ugly".

Rafael being hot barely stratches the surface of why fans love him. If after 5 seasons they don't get that. They never will.
Yeah they are very obtuse. I think they are threatened by several things and hotness is at the bottom:

-Rafael has his own story outside of Jane
-He is written as a whole person
-The story was always about Rafael and they know that Michael was always written as the plot device in their way.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The hot thing is silly because it's television, it's the CW. Everyone is attractive. For me, Justin is what elevates Rafael from being just a pretty face and a good bod. There are hundreds of good looking guys in his age range in Hollywood who also have an intense work out regimen. I remember reading an interview with Jennie several years ago...it might've even been during the first season. She said it was really hard to find Rafael. And Justin was a last minute casting because they were having a hard time finding the right guy. Oddly enough, I wasn't instantly attracted to Rafael. I think it was the scene towards the end of 1.02 where Jane tells him she's going to sue Luisa where I started to feel

About Rafael's bio family. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the show drops that dangling thread altogether. He's clearly not their priority.

Spoiler:

Last edited by wanderer78; 06-09-2019 at 10:25 AM
Old 06-08-2019, 07:12 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78 (View Post)
Was that person Gina?
Nope it was someone on tvline like a couple of months ago, other people that comment thank that poster for bringing nothing to the original poster's comment and for leaving that dumb comment.

That's why I can't help but laugh when that's all they can come up with in a discussion.

Last edited by *DreamerGirl; 06-08-2019 at 07:20 PM
Old 06-08-2019, 07:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
The hot thing is silly because it's television, it's the CW. Everyone is attractive. For me, Justin is what elevates Rafael from being just a pretty face and a good bod. There are hundreds of good looking guys in his age range in Hollywood who also have an intense work out regimen. I remember reading an interview with Jennie several years ago...it might've even been during the first season. She said it was really hard to find Rafael. And Justin was last minute casting because they were having a hard time finding the right guy. Oddly enough, I wasn't instantly attracted to Rafael. I think it was the scene towards the end of 1.02 where Jane tells him she's going to sue Luisa where I started to feel

About Rafael's bio family. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the show drops that dangling thread altogether. He's clearly not their priority.
Even though I still have hope that it won't get dropped, I won't be surprised in the least if it does. Rafael has supposedly had multiple conversations with Luisa in S5 (off-screen) and never brought it up? I'll be sad if they don't revisit it or if its a last minute thing.

I didn't realize they took a while to cast the role of Raf. So interesting to know. What you said about Justin is exactly right. There is literally a sea of rando hot guys out there. Justin elevated the material and brought heart to the character. The casting for JTV has been excellent. I'm glad they waited for the right person to come along.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I found the interview. Here's what JSU says about casting Rafael/Justin:

Quote:
The last person we cast was Justin [Baldoni]. We were having a lot of trouble with [Rafael] and we couldn’t figure it out. He had to be that kind of—you look at him and you need to understand the fantasy right away. He had to be that to Jane, but he also had to be deep enough and interesting enough and play himself in the past where he wasn’t so good. It was a really tricky role to get. Justin came in at the 11th hour when I was close to being panicked. He came in and I thought he was great. We brought him in to test, and he got the role, and I ran outside, like, “You just got it!” Then everyone else came outside and was like, “You want to tell him that he got it?” And I was like, “Yeah, yeah, yeah, we’ll tell him!” I’d just told him. So he did his second acting performance of the day and pretended to be surprised when they told him. That was our casting process.
Adapting a telenovela with Jane The Virgin showrunner Jennie Urman

It's from an old interview in 2014, and I highly recommend it. It's very interesting.

Quote:
I'll be sad if they don't revisit it or if its a last minute thing
Same. I might even throw a fit.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Adapting a telenovela with Jane The Virgin showrunner Jennie Urman

It's from an old interview in 2014, and I highly recommend it. It's very interesting.
Very informative article. Thank you for digging it up and sharing it!
Old 06-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethally Floral (View Post)
About River--

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I always remember that he was born out of the country. In 3x07 it's revealed that he was born in Italy.
Spoiler:

But JTV wouldn't be the first series in history to leave a storyline unresolved. Ugh. JTV actually has other unresolved storylines.

Last edited by Muffy_Simba; 06-09-2019 at 12:36 PM
Old 06-08-2019, 10:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I do know Rafael passed through Italy on his journey to FL but Italy isn't a strange place to spend a few months or a year.

I get that it'd feel weird to break out the biological parents so late in the game but I'd rather it be a real actor/actress rather than cameos. And Raf being born in Italy (or at least spending some time in an Italian orphanage) doesn't eliminate anyone, really.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:18 AM
New Fan

About Rafael’s mom: so, if I remember correctly Mutter (Mudder?) was really Rose’s mom- right? So that would mean that Luisa is her step-sister and Rafael is her (adopted?) brother?
I always thought that maybe Rafael was really Luisa’s brother, that her mom had an affair with someone else and gave birth to him in Italy, maybe that why she was “committed” and then Mutter and Emilio adopted him? That would explain why he doesn’t have their DNA. WHen Raf is talking to his mom the first time, she says that she got married and pregnant at 24- would this mean that Rose is Emilio’s daughter?
I don’t think that they will drop it because it was big enough to continually bring up, but I also think that it will not be that big of a deal in the scene of things. I am going to go back and rewatch.

Last edited by ImSupposedtobeWorking; 06-09-2019 at 04:18 AM
Old 06-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Part-Time Fan

Speaking of Rafael's parents. Can we talk about the fact that Luisa destroyed his birth records? I have a hard time with her character when they have her do stuff like that because she's mad at Rafael.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread