Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Jane and Rafael {Jane the Virgin} #5: I realized I'd rather be with you...at your worst

#5;
janerafael

appreciation thread

"We're better together."

x

shippers.
01. AlwaysCB
02. backstreetboysfan
03. wanderer78
04. Kylebraxtonisthebest
05. CloisFan
06. SaraLove8
07. ladyevenstar22
08. Jessiegabriela
09. all2him1
10. ElenaBelle
11. PunksWorldWide
12. ZariyahRice
13. innocent_chick
14. Laurababora
15. ds44
16. Japril
17. These Broken Stars
18. LostShadow
19. ~-Sarah-~
20. science girlfriend
21. Roxy87
22. baelfire24
23. Miranda
24. Orbeli
25. .bian.carsan.
26. Velvetsen
27. deekar
28. perfangel5655
29. cursedandblessed
fanvids.
falling slowly
beating heart
sea of lovers
wings
heavy
you and me
magic
clarity
take me home
past threads.
{1} {2}{3} {4} {5}

the moments.

Last edited by ds44; 02-21-2016 at 10:37 AM
Old 02-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread. The last one went by fast! And a lot of great discussion.

As for Mutter possibly going after Jane, maybe it's b/c of Jane's family? She comes from a rich oil family back in Venezuela. I always assumed that's why Mateo was kidnapped over the summer before S2. But who knows? It's probably something else. But I was always wondering if that would become a bigger part of the story.

So I'm emotionally prepared for the inevitable J/M reunion. I think I am, at least. I still think it's possible that the wedding won't happen, or maybe it'll get annulled for some reason.

Last edited by wanderer78; 02-21-2016 at 12:36 PM
Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

tftnt!
Old 02-21-2016, 01:25 PM
New Fan

QUOTE=cursedandblessed;85139734]So we come full circle from fantasy love to real love. I hope that's this season before she gets married but it may not be.[/QUOTE]

I hope that is how the season ends as well. But with so few shows, how do they get there without Jane looking....frankly crazy?? Your scenario requires another J/M breakup. I dunno. Maybe season 2 is just a dream.......

If J/M do marry and she loses her virginity to him this season, I hope M turns out to be a lousy lover for her. Afterall, she didn't have any sex dreams about Michael when she was with Rafael. Actually, she has never had any sex dreams about Michael. Mmmmm....
Old 02-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflymcqueen (View Post)
QUOTE=cursedandblessed;85139734]So we come full circle from fantasy love to real love. I hope that's this season before she gets married but it may not be.
I hope that is how the season ends as well. But with so few shows, how do they get there without Jane looking....frankly crazy?? Your scenario requires another J/M breakup. I dunno. Maybe season 2 is just a dream.......

If J/M do marry and she loses her virginity to him this season, I hope M turns out to be a lousy lover for her. Afterall, she didn't have any sex dreams about Michael when she was with Rafael. Actually, she has never had any sex dreams about Michael. Mmmmm....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't see J/R getting together this season without Jane looking like a huge flake, and Rafael looking a little stupid. They're already both looking that way, but a J/R reunion would make it even worse. I know this show moves fast, but that would be a little too fast for me.

I'm glad I'm not alone in hoping Jane's sex with Michael (if it happens) is disappointing for her. I can't see how it wouldn't be. She's a virgin who doesn't communicate that well with her partner. I don't see it going well.

I do think they're going to stretch out the virginity story line (no pun intended) beyond S2 though.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:52 PM
Passionate Fan

Tv show couples break up all the time. I don't think this show's couples will be any different.

I never thought about Mateo Sr's family. I would love to see them. It would be too many minor characters for one show but I always wanted to know more about Mateo
Old 02-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I agree that it seems unlikely this season given where we are and Jane will look foolish. So maybe it doesn't happen this season and my story is told over the course of the whole series.

But it isn't out of the realm of possibility for this season. J/R's entire romance took just 13 episodes last season (106-119). We have 11 left. Her reunion with M and subsequent realization that R is Mr.Right doesn't need to take as long. We and Jane know both men now. Jane wouldn't look crazy if Michael breaks up with her because something isn't right and/or Rafael gets cancer again.

The marriage has really raised the stakes. If J marries M, but J/R are the endgame, how can they expect the audience to remain invested in J/R? Who is going to feel comfortable rooting for adultery or the death of M? Or maybe it'll be like when Lorelai married Rory's father for 5 minutes before returning to Luke? Jennie was the writer and producer in the last year of the Gilmore Girls.

She also was the showrunner for Emily Owens MD. Did anyone watch that show? Emily had two love interests there too and she slept with one of them in episode 13 but was supposed to end up the with other by episode 22. The show got cancelled at 13. I wonder if there are analogous characters to R and M. I didn't watch it.

Quote:
If J/M do marry and she loses her virginity to him this season, I hope M turns out to be a lousy lover for her.
Well Fankie did think he'd be a crier after sex last season. Hee hee.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can see J/M breaking up yet again, but I'm not sure they can reunite J/R this season. But there are a lot of episodes to go. If they do break up J/M again, I hope it's for the last time.

I've loved Mateo Sr. since we first heard about him in S1. I always enjoy the Alba/Mateo flashbacks. With this show, I'm a sucker for the family and romance stuff.

Seeing the gifs in the OP makes me sad and a little joyful. They were so beautiful. I really, really hope the show can get back to that.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursedandblessed (View Post)

The marriage has really raised the stakes. If J marries M, but J/R are the endgame, how can they expect the audience to remain invested in J/R? Who is going to feel comfortable rooting for adultery or the death of M? Or maybe it'll be like when Lorelai married Rory's father for 5 minutes before returning to Luke? Jennie was the writer and producer in the last year of the Gilmore Girls.

She also was the showrunner for Emily Owens MD. Did anyone watch that show? Emily had two love interests there too and she slept with one of them in episode 13 but was supposed to end up the with other by episode 22. The show got cancelled at 13. I wonder if there are analogous characters to R and M. I didn't watch it.

Well Fankie did think he'd be a crier after sex last season. Hee hee.
I watched Emily Owens. I tried to make a connection between JTV characters and EO characters. I can see the similarities between Jane and Emily. Emily was not as strong as Jane. But I liked Emily more and I found her much more relatable. It is hard to find similarities between Will/Micah and Rafael/Michael. Will was definitely the hotter one and Emily also had a crush on him for a long time. So in that sense he is like Rafael. But he was her closest friend. Micah is the one she comes to know afterward. He is a bit cold at first but then he lets her in. She ends up sleeping with Will, but Jennie said Emily would've eventually had something with Micah. I am not sure if Jennie said they would've ended up together though.

I try not to compare Gilmore Girls with JTV since it took place such a long time ago.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Loyal Fan

Belated Thank You For The New Thread!

Okay, so no real clues in Emily Owens. Thanks.

Quote:
So I'm emotionally prepared for the inevitable J/M reunion. I think I am, at least.
I'm glad we hashed out the next three episodes before they ever aired . It did prepare me for the J/M reunion. Otherwise I would have seeing it live. I've girded my loins.

Okay, let's watch for the tiny clues that there is still hope for J/R.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Passionate Fan

I don't think a J/M breakup would be out of the ordinary at all! Jane can pretend it was Michael all along and marry him but the truth is Jane hasn't been with Michael in a long time. She is different now. She has gone through a serious relationship with another man, a heartbreak, pregnancy, motherhood. She has gone through many struggles that Michael was not a part of. At that time the only people who were in Jane's family were her mom and grandmother. That was her world. At work she had Lina. Now Jane's world is much bigger. She has her father, she has grandparents, she has a son, she has Rafael. He does not know this Jane. He knows the 23 yr old cute college girl that wanted to be a teacher and had her whole life planned out. Everything about her was predictable. This Jane is learning and growing every day and nothing in her life is predictable anymore. When Jane left Michael she left him over something so small. She had feelings for another guy. A new guy she barely even knew. All she had was a connection she felt with him that she couldn't explain. Back then Jane said she was unsure about everything about her life except for Michael. Yet she left him. This Jane is not sure about anything!!! She was dating some skater weirdo, planning family vacation with a stranger she met for a date, trying to have sex with her prof. This is the most confused Jane has ever been. She also seems desperate. It seems like she is willing to jump into a relationship with anyone who meets her checklist and is not Rafael.
She could leave Michael again over many things. Since Mateo's birth they probably had 2-3 conversations. If you can even call those 2 sec things conversations. She remembers him through the flashbacks. She doesn't know what it is like to be with Michael anymore. Since their breakup she has changed, Michael has changed. I am not saying she would leave him for Rafael. But would it be so out of the ordinary if she did? She left him before their wedding for a Rafael she knew nothing about. This time around Rafael is not a stranger. He is her friend, he is a guy she loved, he is not the father of some unknown baby she would have one day, he is the father of her child who she loves more than anything. A child that Rafael loves more than anything else. At that time relationship with Michael was easy, now it might not be so easy. They could easily be in a bad place in 7 episodes without Jane looking fickle (which I do think she is....but that's okay)
Old 02-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I never watched EO, so I can't say. I remember JSU saying she had to make a lot of compromises on the show, so it wasn't entirely her vision.

I don't see any GG/JTV parallels. JTV was compared to it early on b/c of the Xo/Jane relationship. A woman has baby as a teen, they're super close. But other than that, I don't see any true parallels. Jane does occasionally give me Rory Gilmore vibes, and not in a good way.

I think they'll show us cracks in the foundation along with the reunion of J/M.

Has anyone here ever watched the movie Amelie? Jennie has said that's a big influence on JTV. But she might have been talking about the aesthetics. But there's a meant to be couple in it (no Michael thankfully). Sometimes I think I see the parallels between Rafael/Jane and Nino/Amelie. But I'd love to hear someone else's take on it.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:38 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursedandblessed (View Post)
Jane wouldn't look crazy if Michael breaks up with her because something isn't right and/or Rafael gets cancer .
I agree. But at this point, I think your proposed scenarios are the ONLY way it could happen this season. If J does marry M and lose her virginity to him, a J & R reunion is long, long way if ever happens at all. And I don't think J/R fans will hang in that long. If she was just dating around, I can see folks hanging around. But if she declares M "The One" and sticks with that, I think J/ R fans will tune out.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see J/R getting together this season without Jane looking like a huge flake, and Rafael looking a little stupid.
Yeah, especially since the show has done nothing to build them up this season...not enough to have her make an opposite choice than who I think they're going to spend the next ten episodes building towards. They may drop a hint or two where she reconnects with Rafael, kind of like they did last season with Michael, but not enough to change the trajectory of her story this season.

The only way I could see a shocker is if the finale involves a time jump where next season will be about explaining that time jump. Or they have to get married for practical, rather than romantic reasons such as the reasons Petra married Milos.
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not alone in hoping Jane's sex with Michael (if it happens) is disappointing for her. I can't see how it wouldn't be. She's a virgin who doesn't communicate that well with her partner. I don't see it going well.
I don't see that happening. This is a telenovela and the show has done nothing to indicate they're going to make Michael "less than" in any way.

This show is doing something that irritates me in soaps. It's horrible. But in the effort to tell the Jane/Michael story this season...

Spoiler:
Old 02-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see J/R getting together this season without Jane looking like a huge flake, and Rafael looking a little stupid.
Yeah, especially since the show has done nothing to build them up this season...not enough to have her make an opposite choice than who I think they're going to spend the next ten episodes building towards. They may drop a hint or two where she reconnects with Rafael, kind of like they did last season with Michael, but not enough to change the trajectory of her story this season.

The only way I could see a shocker is if the finale involves a time jump where next season will be about explaining that time jump. Or they have to get married for practical, rather than romantic reasons such as the reasons Petra married Milos.
Quote:
I don't see that happening. This is a telenovela and the show has done nothing to indicate they're going to make Michael "less than" in any way.

This show is doing something that irritates me in soaps. It's horrible. But in the effort to tell the Jane/Michael story this season...

Spoiler: