Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa987 (View Post)
Reading Jennie's interview with TV Guide where she explains how Rafael is the right choice, she also mentions how Jane and Rafael were not right for each other in S1. This explains the show's singular focus to bring down Rafael just to prove that point lol. I mean, if you watch S1, you can see how there would be many issues for them but the show took it to the extreme and made some statements about Jane-Rafael that took them very long to walk back from in S3B and S4.

Lastly, this is not in reference to anyone's comments on this thread but what I have seen on Twitter etc: if we believe the Michael revival/amnesia could have been discarded, it would be important to also discard a majority of the scenes where Jane glorifies Michael. That scene where she is dismayed her relationship with Rafael feels "right" because it makes it look like Michael was a stepping stone. That scene was unnecessary. I also never understood it because Michael died so how could an event that was out of her control be a stepping stone like that. They never addressed it this season, and maybe they will but it still stands out as a sore thumb to me. It was made clear Jane chose Michael in S2, and Michael was STILL hanging over Jane & Rafael when J/R began dating again. It was tiring tbh.
It bothers me that Jennie says that because S1 was when Michael was the biggest p.o.s. so how was Michael right for Jane? Also, early S1 Rafael is perfect to me in so many ways. He planned that graduation party for Jane and got all her family involved because she wasn't able to attend her graduation. He loved and supported her through her fears during the amniocentesis procedure. He got her that writing gig for the hotel interview and meetings with famous writers. He had her mom perform at the hotel. He even allowed Michael to be involved when Petra tried to lay claim to the baby despite Michael's whole vendetta against him. Even though it was somewhat cringey and way too soon, the proposal he did for Jane was really sweet and would have been a perfect proposal in S5. Rafael and Jane had plenty of misunderstandings but, as others have said, the writers only started crapping on them when they realized the show was going to last longer. And I think it was a mistake for them to make J/R so absent from S2 and to ignore all the bad things Michael did. Because here were are now where these fans feel completely entitled to something that was never planned and frankly was never earned to begin with.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame (View Post)
It bothers me that Jennie says that because S1 was when Michael was the biggest p.o.s. so how was Michael right for Jane? Also, early S1 Rafael is perfect to me in so many ways. He planned that graduation party for Jane and got all her family involved because she wasn't able to attend her graduation. He loved and supported her through her fears during the amniocentesis procedure. He got her that writing gig for the hotel interview and meetings with famous writers. He had her mom perform at the hotel. He even allowed Michael to be involved when Petra tried to lay claim to the baby despite Michael's whole vendetta against him. Even though it was somewhat cringey and way too soon, the proposal he did for Jane was really sweet and would have been a perfect proposal in S5. Rafael and Jane had plenty of misunderstandings but, as others have said, the writers only started crapping on them when they realized the show was going to last longer. And I think it was a mistake for them to make J/R so absent from S2 and to ignore all the bad things Michael did. Because here were are now where these fans feel completely entitled to something that was never planned and frankly was never earned to begin with.
I don't think her saying that S1 wasn't the right time for Jafael automatically means Michael was - Michael was never the right choice, he's always been circumstantial. Jennie's been playing the long-game from the very beginning, so of course Rafael wouldn't be the right choice in season 1 or else the show would be over. Plus she does go on to say in that - or another - interview how both Jane and Rafael needed time to grow. And that's what they've done, as their foundation through the years has been made stronger and better. Theirs is a love and relationship that is going to last forever.

And as much as I dislike season 2, it kind of makes me laugh that tptb went to such great lengths to keep Jafael as far apart as they possibly could in order to make J/M relevant. If not for the (very frustrating!) execution, J/M would've never stood a chance. Not only did they have to crap all over Jafael and pretend like what they had never existed, they also had to change Michael's character to sainthood... that's a whole lot of storytelling gymnastics simply to get people to believe that the obstacle was the better choice.

It was either going to be amnesia/back from the dead or Jane would end up divorcing Michael. Either way, all roads lead back to Jane with Rafael.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa987 (View Post)

I hope Jane writing her 2nd book is the vehicle for a proper exploration of what Rafael means to Jane from the day she met him at the yacht club. I am may be being too optimistic. We'll have to see
Random, but I've always wanted Yacht Club flashbacks.

Quote:

And as much as I dislike season 2, it kind of makes me laugh that tptb went to such great lengths to keep Jafael as far apart as they possibly could in order to make J/M relevant. If not for the (very frustrating!) execution, J/M would've never stood a chance. Not only did they have to crap all over Jafael and pretend like what they had never existed, they also had to change Michael's character to sainthood... that's a whole lot of storytelling gymnastics simply to get people to believe that the obstacle was the better choice.
IKR, even while it was happening it was so obvious.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpetals (View Post)
I don't think her saying that S1 wasn't the right time for Jafael automatically means Michael was - Michael was never the right choice, he's always been circumstantial. Jennie's been playing the long-game from the very beginning, so of course Rafael wouldn't be the right choice in season 1 or else the show would be over. Plus she does go on to say in that - or another - interview how both Jane and Rafael needed time to grow. And that's what they've done, as their foundation through the years has been made stronger and better. Theirs is a love and relationship that is going to last forever.

It was either going to be amnesia/back from the dead or Jane would end up divorcing Michael. Either way, all roads lead back to Jane with Rafael.
So much word to the bolded. That should be pinned to the top of reddit as a response to people saying that J/R 2.0 wouldn't have happened if Michael hadn't died and that Jane chose Rafael because Michael isn't the old Michael anymore.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

Makes sense. And as much as I would have preferred divorce, I know that's not a telenova trope so there was no way we would have gotten that.

Another Parallel:
Jane in 4x11: You’re the only thing I’m really sure about."
Jane in 5x07: I said goodbye to Michael because I’m sure, more sure than I’ve ever been about anything that I want to be with you. Forever. You’re my now. You’re my tomorrow. You’re my always.

Also, can we take a moment to smile and reflect on the fact that Jane's time with Michael in Montana not only gave her complete clarity on who she wants to be with but that's she going to fight like hell for Rafael. That bull lasso scene seemed so useless at the time but it wasn't for nothing lol

Old 05-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursedandblessed (View Post)
So much word to the bolded. That should be pinned to the top of reddit as a response to people saying that J/R 2.0 wouldn't have happened if Michael hadn't died and that Jane chose Rafael because Michael isn't the old Michael anymore.
Then they would just come up with another inane theory. Like flowerpetals is posting from an alternate universe where there's a different version of JTV.

This past week was a good reminder of why I don't engage in fandom much any more.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Passionate Fan

Same. I usualy love being part of fandoms and I love healthy disagreements. But this one was physically exhausting this week. I can't wait till we return to normal JTV again. Hopefully these fans will be gone by next week.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame (View Post)
Another Parallel:
Jane in 4x11: You’re the only thing I’m really sure about."
Jane in 5x07: I said goodbye to Michael because I’m sure, more sure than I’ve ever been about anything that I want to be with you. Forever. You’re my now. You’re my tomorrow. You’re my always.

Also, can we take a moment to smile and reflect on the fact that Jane's time with Michael in Montana not only gave her complete clarity on who she wants to be with but that's she going to fight like hell for Rafael. That bull lasso scene seemed so useless at the time but it wasn't for nothing lol

I love the parallels!

It's great how the quiet and fresh air of Montana turned out to be beneficial after all. haha I liked her lasso the bull metaphor - she knows she has to put in work for this. It took her 6 tries to lasso the dog (yes, I counted. lol)
Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 PM
Addicted Fan

Hell, some still believe it's Petra and JR getting married in the series finale. But they are people believed when Jennie said "full circle" it meant J/M & P/R endgames. And people holding on to Rafael and Petra getting back together is something I will never understand. It's funny that Jennie made Jane's first book which was about her love story with Michael in which they end up together. Both a critical flop and financial flop. The series will get back to all the other plotlines this week. The love triangle is dead. Pour out some liquor.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy_Simba (View Post)
The love triangle is dead. Pour out some liquor.
Amen.

Agreed that fandom wars can be physically exhausting. This is why I’m looking forward so much to the next chapter for Jane & Rafael. Other shows are stressing me out right now (GOT ) but I have this happy place known as JaFael.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:20 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpetals (View Post)
I love the parallels!

It's great how the quiet and fresh air of Montana turned out to be beneficial after all. haha I liked her lasso the bull metaphor - she knows she has to put in work for this. It took her 6 tries to lasso the dog (yes, I counted. lol)
Interesting that it took her 6 tries and
Spoiler:
Old 05-12-2019, 08:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaaahlove (View Post)
Spoiler:
Wow. If you’re right, I’ll be impressed at the attention to detail.

|| Hook♥Emma || Rafael♥Jane || Ash♥Michael ||
|| Danny♥Lindsay | Dylan♥Kelly | Alex♥Izzie | Lucky♥Sam | Emett♥Bay ||
| Lucas♥Peyton | Pacey♥Joey | Clark♥Chloe | Jeff♥Ginger | Angel♥Cordy | Charlie♥Kirtsen | Neal♥Sara |

Old 05-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaaahlove (View Post)
Spoiler:
Knowing the bits we know, as far as timing goes, it looks like things will work out this way (6 times). It'd be an awesome intricate detail if it's intentional!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

Something that always baffles me about Reddit opinions is this idea that Rafael has been volatile or pushy or really ugly about the situation. I feel like I'm watching a different show sometimes.

Rafael gave Jane so many opportunities to take a break and figure out her feelings but she kept doubling down on the idea that nothing had to change. He is the one who encouraged Jane to explore her feelings. He wasn't always gracious about it but he's mostly removed himself from the drama if it all. Which I can only applaud.

I also don't understand the idea that Rafael was just supposed to wait around while she figured it out. I get that Michael's her husband but that doesn't mean Rafael is supposed to be waiting in the wings when she finally decides she wants to be with him.

It amuses me that the fact that Rafael is ok without her is what motivated Jane to get her **** together faster than anything else lol.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

If he had been not interested ages ago she would have been chasing is ass down years ago. I mean look at 3B and when she thought she might lose him to Petra.