Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaisF (View Post)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
icon:
Old 04-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Elite Fan

I'm going to discuss this out of spoilers because it's a general feeling...

I agree, I think Rafael should play a bigger part in Mateo's life. I mean, I think it's amazing that Rafael wants to be such a big part of Mateo's life, a lot of children aren't that lucky. So I would like one-on-one storylines with Rafael and Mateo. I'd also be interested in seeing Rafael, Petra, the twins, and Mateo.

In general, I am interested in the dynamic between Rafael and Petra. Whether it's romantic or as co-parents.

And of course, I'm all for Mateo/Michael scenes too.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 04-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaisF (View Post)
Spoiler:
Yeah, I get that I also think we need to see more Rafael/Mateo scenes to better highlight how complicated this situation is, if nothing else. Putting a spotlight on their relationship would make all the custody stuff, insecurities and possible tension all the more poignant and emotional. I mean, I don't doubt that Rafael loves his son but if we had way more scenes of them bonding, just the two of them, situations like the one last week with the house move, would be much more of a gut punch, because we would have seen them together and all that entails. And it would make us more emotionally invested. I really want that. Because Rafael as a father is my favourite thing about his character. And his relationship with Mateo is the main one I care about.

(Tried not to include spoilers so I didn't have to use tags )
icon:
Old 04-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Yeah, I get that I also think we need to see more Rafael/Mateo scenes to better highlight how complicated this situation is, if nothing else. Putting a spotlight on their relationship would make all the custody stuff, insecurities and possible tension all the more poignant and emotional. I mean, I don't doubt that Rafael loves his son but if we had way more scenes of them bonding, just the two of them, situations like the one last week with the house move, would be much more of a gut punch, because we would have seen them together and all that entails. And it would make us more emotionally invested. I really want that. Because Rafael as a father is my favourite thing about his character. And his relationship with Mateo is the main one I care about.
Exactly, I know that Rafael loves his son, but have no scene showing it, don’t have any emotional moment between father-son, so I can’t get emotionally attached to Rafael’s arc. I honestly don’t remember the first moment between Rafael & Mateo in the hospital, but the scene when Rafael holds one of the twins and says that they’re beautiful was super cute. Even though Jane and Petra was there, that moment was complete between Rafael and his daughter. And I loved it. And me too, the best thing about Rafael is his love for his kids.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Elite Fan

I completely, completely agree with you guys and everything you said. I was talking about this the spoiler thread I think last week and honestly I am shocked that we haven't gotten any scenes of Rafael and Mateo. It doesn't make sense to me. This is such an important part of the story to Jane's life and it's just so weird the writers haven't given us one scene where Rafael is spending time with his son which I honestly think is such a mistake. I think no matter what 'team" we are one we all would love to see the bond between Rafael and his son.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Master Fan

We definitely should get more Raf/Mateo scenes. It's like the kid's only parent is Jane, which she obviously isn't, plus this is just making Raf fans' hate for Michael worse (although I should say they'd hate him in any case). Besides, since I like the concept of unconventional and messy family it's obvious I'm interested in Raf/Mateo scenes as much as in seeing JM and Jane/Petra scenes. That's the point.

Spoiler:
Old 04-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

My favourite Rafael/Mateo moment (because it's the only one I can think of!) is when Rafael is sitting with Mateo outside the Villanueva house. I don't even remember which episode it is, but Rafael is waiting for Jane outside her house and just sitting with Mateo, holding him and hugging him, and it was such an intimate moment between father and son. I loved that. I want more scenes like it.

I know this show is called 'Jane the Virgin' so they have every right to give her major focus in the narrative, but I sometimes feel like they do this at the expense of almost every other character, even Rafael. Besides Petra, who is being given a lot of attention recently, and Rogelio, obviously. They all have their little side plots and bits to do, but Jane takes centre stage and overshadows them all. With Rafael, it's like only her bond with Mateo is explored. Like she's his only parent, like you said, Alice. You only ever see Rafael with Mateo in hand-offs between him and Jane. We've seen him actually be a daddy more to the twins in 2 episodes than we have with Mateo since the start of the season.

The good thing about this new episode description is that

Spoiler:

Because maybe if we had more Rafael/Mateo stuff, we'd be able to enjoy some Michael/Mateo etc. without it feeling off-balance and the hate for him would perhaps be less (wishful thinking? ).

I basically just want to see what Michael is like when he's 'playing daddy.' I want to know what he's like with children
icon:
Old 04-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Master Fan

To be fair I feel like Raf does have a pretty big arc that's probably only second to Jane's, what he doesn't have is enough time with his son onscreen, which is why
Spoiler:

It's also possible that we are sometimes losing his POV, but we lost Michael's for a while too and maybe we shouldn't read too much in that because the only POV we never lose is Jane's. I do agree Petra is getting a lot of attention from the writers, but it's often in proportion with the time she spends with Jane or Rafal.
Rogelio's kidnapping possibly marked the first time he got some solo time (if we don't consider the stalker). I'm not entirely sure why since his PTSD seems to have already passed, but maybe it was to prop Jamie for award nods. I have no idea. It's also possible that the show is trying to expand its range of stories because it does have to cover a full three seasons now, and likely a fourth one.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:40 PM
New Fan

Does anyone else see the similarities between Michael and Rory from Doctor Who?
Old 04-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, maybe it is a bit more substantial in hindsight, but at the time it feels like a lot falls to the wayside in favour of Jane's POV. Like I said, it's her show so I get that, but they could still develop the side characters a lot more without taking the focus away. I love this show but they don't tend to do this so well. Take Xo; she's practically a non-entity this season. And it feels odd that Rafael's most important storyline - Mateo - is the one which feels like an afterthought a lot of the time. Maybe that's why Rafael feels like such a secondary character to me these days. They're placing the emphasis on the wrong storyline with him.

I also definitely think Petra and Rogelio in particular have been given a spotlight precisely because of the positive reaction to them in S1. Those two are the social media favourites, and with the focus on them this season, it feels like the writers definitely know that. Rafael may have a pretty big SL right now, but I think people like Petra and Ro have more actual scenes if you count them, which is probably why they feel more important.

Idk

Next episode could address this completely, so I'll stop complaining

Looks like we're almost ready for a new thread
icon:
Old 04-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddie (View Post)
Just had to quickly reply to this before I go: I've never thought about that, but Rory is one of my favourite TV characters of ALL. TIME and so it makes me weirdly happy that you mentioned him in the same sentence as Michael, who I also love

The Boy Who Waited...you just know Michael Cordero would do that for Jane, let's be real
icon:
Old 04-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I think Michael and Rory are very similar because of the dedication and commitments they have for the people that they love.

Quote:
The Boy Who Waited...you just know Michael Cordero would do that for Jane, let's be real
Completely! I can see that.

Quote:
I know this show is called 'Jane the Virgin' so they have every right to give her major focus in the narrative, but I sometimes feel like they do this at the expense of almost every other character, even Rafael. Besides Petra, who is being given a lot of attention recently, and Rogelio, obviously.

I agree, I love Jane, and the show is named after her, and the focus should be on her, most of the time, but the other characters suffer in development at the expense of the focusing on Jane. And I think I should have a more fairer balance.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread