Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybangelcakes (View Post)
Sometimes people will defend and defend even if they know they sound ridiculous.
Exactly, and there's nothing we can do about that. It's always happened and it will always happen. It's just the culture. All we can do is keep a level head and distract ourselves with nicer things. Like this quote from a recap/review of the episode I read earlier:

Quote:
"Jane knows it. She can’t be with Michael when his irrational anger toward Rafael puts Mateo in jeopardy. It’s a sad realization. I was pleased that she didn’t flip-flop how she felt about Rafael in wake of Michael’s behavior. Michael is still her forever choice. Forever is just going to have to wait for Michael to set himself straight."
I think this is one of the most rational reviews I've read and mirrors exactly how I felt about the episode. They don't gloss over Michael's actions and admit what he did wrong, but they also acknowledge that he's still a good guy and not just a 'shady jerk' as most Michael haters seem to be convinced of. They also are unashamedly Team Michael and that always helps But I always tend to like it when people can keep their logic in check even when a character does something they don't like or displays behaviour they wish they hadn't. It doesn't erase their good character or write them off, and also doesn't make them suddenly not right for someone. (Of course unless they do something drastic which shatters their entire character) It's way more complex than that. And I'm glad there are some people out there with a bit of sense.
EnglishRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

the part where she kisses his heart is what gets me in that scene. HOW That scene is the perfect description of how Michael is Jane's heart's home <333

I have stayed out of that spoiler thread since I was told what an "ideal" family is for everyone. I'm not here for that kind of nonsense.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Waves (View Post)

I have stayed out of that spoiler thread since I was told what an "ideal" family is for everyone. I'm not here for that kind of nonsense.
I made the mistake of watching the After Buzz after show of this episode earlier, and not only did they completely bash Michael, except for one of the contributors who was the only one to have their head screwed on straight, but they made this ridiculous comment about how Mateo couldn't be properly raised by three women, because he would never grow into a 'real man', and I was furious!

I hate this argument of 'Oh, Jane and Rafael should be together because they're a family and Mateo needs that.' I mean...huh? I'm pretty sure kids don't need to grow up in a forced family unit and to know their mother might have been happier with the person she actually wanted to be with, but hey, whatever. Apparently that argument is never going to die, and I hate it
Old 11-12-2015, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

afterbuzz said that? dear lord....

nothing offends me more than the ~family argument. It's based on probably the oldest tropes in the book I can't even.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRoses (View Post)
Even though there will sometimes come a pairing or show I love too much to ignore and so I end up getting sucked in again, I have turned my back on it so many times because it can be such a weird, toxic place. But this is just how it is. It sucks, but there it is. It's always been like this in fandom. It's a place run on emotion, instead of logic. Like you said, there are some people who criticise Michael in one breath, and admit to not watching the j/m scenes in another. Then there are those where it is clear they just worship Rafael and so trying to argue with them is like talking to a brick wall. It's useless and the only thing it does is get you worked up. Just take a breath, laugh at it if it makes you feel better, and move on. What helps me is recognising that fandom only makes up one part of the fanbase. Some people don't partake in fandoms, and some people don't use social media at all. So those voices which seem so deafening at times, they don't represent the entire fanbase. They like to make a big song and dance about how Team Rafael usually win the online polls, which apparently means everyone wants them together, but not everyone who watches votes on those things. It's not a true representation of who people like or who they root for. I watch with my mum and sister. My mum barely uses social media at all besides facebook, and my sister isn't into fan culture, and they were both really surprised when I told them about the hate Michael was getting. They both love Michael. And so does everyone else I know in real life. I have a few friends who like Rafael and Jane, but most people I know ship Jane and Michael, and even those who don't think the reaction to him online is overblown and exaggerated.

So just don't let it bother you. As hard as I know that is. I really believe the writers will redeem Michael (not that I even think he did anything that terrible) and that he and Jane will be endgame. Maybe I'm being naive , I dunno. But even if it ends with her and Raf, I know they'll turn Michael's character around and I hope opinion on him will change. So I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride, and wait for people to change their minds about him. I'm sure there are some people who will actively fight any redemptive arc they take him on, but I'm confident the writers will pluck him out of this downward spiral eventually and have him do something so awesome it can't possibly be denied. So I'm just gonna sit here with my popcorn and watch his haters eat their words
This description of fandom is so right on the money. Gossip Girl was my first fandom experience and the reason I signed up for this site originally. I loved meeting new people that shared the same love I did for a couple or characters and many of them I'm still friends with today. But fandom also had its drawbacks, most of it what you described. It's why for a while I had to take a break from it because sometimes the hate towards a character or couple by fans can affect you personally, even though that is never anyone's intent. Once I realized something fictional was beginning to bleed into my personal life, I made my break. But recently, a few ships have brought me back into the world of fandom because sometimes you just need to share your love with others. Age and time has helped me to learn that the emotionally charged environment of fandom is just how it's always going to be and it's not going to change. And most importantly, despite the different opinions people have, it's rarely ever meant to be personal (only exception is trolls ) towards you. It's hard to deal with at times like now, but I still just let it all roll off my back as much as possible. Fandom seems like such a big part of the viewing audience when in reality, it's an extremely small part. It only seems big because it sounds so loud .

Quote:
I tend to think that when you binge watch something you get a clearer view of a narrative because you're seeing it from step to step in one go. You see the actions and then the consequences and reactions really quickly, as if it was a movie. The emotions from one act carry over into the next and inform your responses to it. Waiting from week to week means you're sitting there overthinking between episodes, just waiting for whatever cones next. Your emotions and feelings can change between episodes sometimes, especially if you engage in fandom where there are so many opinions flying back and forth. Distance and time can change things, and in the case of Raf/Jane I suppose they could maybe feel as if Jane and Michael is too far back to even be relevant and is now an interruption to their ship. Of course, I watched live and never felt that way, but that's because I was hooked on Michael and Jane from day 1 and so, to me, Jane and Rafael were the interruption. Watching the episodes back to back means you don't break from the wave of emotion. You just ride it right through to the end and just go with the cues it gives you. In regards to Jane and Michael, I think it gives you a fuller picture of their arc/relationship in one go, without any interruptions. I think you can see more clearly what their connection is and means.
I agree with this. You're better able to see the narrative and what the writers/showrunners want to accomplish when you see it all at once vs. seeing it live. It's why I prefer seeing shows that have already ended. Not only do you see the writers' intent better but knowing how it ends is also a deciding factor sometimes in why I watch it. Plus, you skip out on fandom's input.

Quote:
And I do think in binging it becomes clearer that Michael and Jane have a stronger story, I think. It was building up to them, the flashbacks were there for a reason.
Yeah this became clear to me while seeing the show last summer. Tumblr was making it look like Jane and Michael were the couple that was going to get tossed aside for the endgame of Jane and Raf. But there were so many flashbacks of Michael and Jane's relationship and their scenes in the present were also so genuine and loving. It's not just sweet on the surface like most couples that are together at the start of shows and then tossed aside for the real endgame couple later. This couple is obviously supposed to be considered as a contender for endgame because why else would they throw in these genuine flashback and present scenes to try and get the audience to like them?

Quote:
I wasn't even looking forward to the new episode but now after the interview and after thinking a little, I want to see exactly how this plays out since Michael was after all Jane's choice.
I want to see how it plays out too because I think it could be good . Someone on Tumblr said regarding Jane and Michael and how they ended, this is now heading into will they/won't they. I have to agree with that because even though Jane chose Michael, they never really got their shot yet because of this roadblock (as over the top as it was but still). I honestly would've been more worried for them long-term if they were happy now because then it's just too easy to break them apart later. Having Jane choose Michael and then separating them I think will be better for them in the long-term. Of course I could be way wrong, but right now this is how I'm seeing the narrative being laid out. Michael will be redeemed and he and Jane will be together again .

Quote:
"Jane knows it. She can’t be with Michael when his irrational anger toward Rafael puts Mateo in jeopardy. It’s a sad realization. I was pleased that she didn’t flip-flop how she felt about Rafael in wake of Michael’s behavior. Michael is still her forever choice. Forever is just going to have to wait for Michael to set himself straight."
This is so beautiful . It's how I see it too.
Andrea ღ|Icon: mine
bscgirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

The flashbacks are what always get me. Because they are never necessary shown IN CONTRAST to what is happening with J/M in the scenes in present day. For the most part, the flashbacks either add to why R/J don't work, or add to a scene in present day between J/M that affirms Michael as a character. Both of which are good things for JM <3
Old 11-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Elite Fan

so much to quote, so little time!

Quote:
The flashbacks are what always get me. Because they are never necessary shown IN CONTRAST to what is happening with J/M in the scenes in present day. For the most part, the flashbacks either add to why R/J don't work, or add to a scene in present day between J/M that affirms Michael as a character. Both of which are good things for JM <3
Quote:
But there were so many flashbacks of Michael and Jane's relationship and their scenes in the present were also so genuine and loving.
omg YESSSS the Jane and Michael flashbacks were so unexpected for me but they made me SO happy. and you're exactly right, it wasn't always about contrast but it showed how a certain moment was so significant. but seeing Michael and Janes's relationship grow through he flashbacks was so beautiful-all of that build up was not for nothing.

Quote:
the part where she kisses his heart is what gets me in that scene. HOW That scene is the perfect description of how Michael is Jane's heart's home <333
I know some time alone for Jane will be good but I really, really want to see Jane pining for Michael in the upcoming episodes since she never got to say how she really felt.

That's it, I'm going to find more beautiful scenes to post♥

Last edited by redrose13; 11-13-2015 at 08:42 AM
redrose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Master Fan

I must say that it seems we have a shipper war on our hands. It wasn't like this last season with Jane chose Rafael.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Chiqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiqa (View Post)
I must say that it seems we have a shipper war on our hands. It wasn't like this last season with Jane chose Rafael.
Sounds about right at the moment I liked it better when it wasn't so negative and people were like I LIKE THEM BOTH (even though I was always #TeamMichael like our good man Rogelio)
redrose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

wait, I never saw this until now! The part at the end

Quote:
Gina: The whole situation about loving someone and not wanting to do something bad...when I had to leave my fiancee on the show, Michael, played by Brett Dier who...I love him. He's a phenomenal actor, our chemistry is awesome, and when I play with him I feel like I grow and I feel like I fly and I feel like we find nuances, and when I had to leave him I was like 'aww'...6 episodes in, so that's like three months of shooting, and then we had a parting and it felt so real.

she mentioned brett and m/j on a Variety Studio interview!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Master Fan

Aww, that quote is so sweet .

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrose13 (View Post)
Sounds about right at the moment I liked it better when it wasn't so negative and people were like I LIKE THEM BOTH (even though I was always #TeamMichael like our good man Rogelio)
Yeah it has gotten quite ugly but I do like that there seems to now be a solid following for #TeamMichael. When I was watching season 1 over the summer, on Tumblr at least, #TeamMichael was practically nonexistent. I love seeing more Michael/MJ love coming out of this, even if it happened through crazy fandom circumstances.

I do still like both boys, I just love Michael more and would be happier if the show ended with him and Jane together. I won't throw a fit if it goes the other way (unless they kill Michael off to do so which will be enough to get me to quit the show altogether) but a Jane and Michael endgame has so much potential for good family dynamics and would be a much more interesting ending than the clichéd one of Jane, Raf and Mateo. I see those endings all the time. It's time to change it up.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like a few Rafael scenes, but mainly the concept of him as the biological father will just turn me off

I do think there is a good sizable team michael base as well...it just sucks that they pulled what they did last episode. Also, is there gonna be a time jump next episode? Is Michael really going to be held hostage for potentially months and nobody cares?
Old 11-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Waves (View Post)
Also, is there gonna be a time jump next episode? Is Michael really going to be held hostage for potentially months and nobody cares?
Yeah apparently each act of the next episode takes place during a different month. I'm hoping this means we won't see him being held hostage for long and that he won't be gone for numerous months. I'm sure they're going to show Jane/her family's reaction to him being kidnapped at some point in the episode, hopefully anyway.

The evil part of me would also love seeing that Rafael paid that guy to go in and confess and that it really was him that messed everything up with Michael after all... . I know, wishful thinking but after they threw Michael through the wringer, I need something to be happy about next week .
Old 11-14-2015, 05:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It's true the online community is a small one
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

That quote is so beautiful I really miss the days when Gina was far more vocal about her Team Michael support. She's been taking a more neutral stance recently. I wouldn't be surprised if she was told to tone it down a little in order to avoid any backlash. I suppose I understand why. If the shoe was on the other foot and she was a diehard Rafael supporter, it would be difficult for me to hear that from her. But still, when you go back and read her earlier quotes about the j/m relationship, they're so lovely. And they mirror exactly what I think, too. Which always gave me hope. She might even be the main reason I never gave up on j/m completely back in S1 when it seemed so hopeless. I miss that from her.

As for the Michael hostage/kidnap situation, I hope there is some kind of reaction from Jane. The synopses all have her being busy with family stuff, with Rafael and Mateo, but it's not really believable that she wouldn't have some kind of reaction to that or just get on with life without even contemplating about Michael. I mean, she does still love him. Regardless of what happened. She would be concerned, right? So I hope we see it mixed in with whatever else she has going on. That's if she even finds out. After their last encounter she might just think Michael is keeping his space, so she might not even think the worst has happened if she doesn't hear from him. And then there is also the other explanation, of course: that Nadine's appearance isn't a kidnap at all. I dunno, maybe she's asking for his help. Or offering hers. I guess we'll just have to wait to find out. The synopsis says Michael will go rogue in his efforts to catch Sin Rostro. I don't know if that's after Nadine's hold-up or what. Ugh. I just need Monday to get here already. Not really because I'm looking forward to the episode, because I'm not. But I need to find out about Michael. I'm pretty much only watching for him at this point.
Reply   Post New Thread