Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Elite Fan

Ishmael/Hatsue [Snow Falling on Cedars] Appreciation #1: First Loves Last.... Forever.

~ Ishmael Chambers & Hatsue Imada ~
Appreciation Thread

Official Site - Snow Falling On Cedars
YouTube - Snow Falling On Cedars Trailer

STORY/SYPNOSIS
Fog as thick and palpable as cotton hangs suspended over San Piedro Island. On the bay, a flickering lantern signals distress from a crippled fishing boat, while elsewhere a freighter lurches blindly through the chalky mist. By morning, sea and sky are clear, but the tranquil village of fisherman and berry farmers will forever be changed. For one man has lost his life, and another -a childhood friend- has been charged with taking it. An investigation is launched. The trial begins.

A reporter covering the trial, Ishmael Chambers, sits in the courtroom, carefully observing the person with whom he shared the rapturous secrets of childhood, the only woman he has ever loved. Hatsue, the defendant's wife. Their tortured relationship will have an unexpected bearing on the trial of Kazuo Miyamoto, which serves to frame Snow Falling On Cedars.

Yet within this labyrinth lies an even more deeply hidden secret: the haunting childhood love of Ishmael (Ethan Hawke) and Hatsue (Youki Kudoh). As children they worked alongside each other in the fields, he for pocket money and she to help her family. In their teen years they were exceptionally cautious. Forbidden by custom to have an open relationship, they secretly met in the hollow of a giant cedar. Now, they meet in a courtroom where Hatsue's husband, Kazuo, is accused of murder.

The truth about this tragedy will ultimately emerge, not from legal proceedings but from the deepest, most tender chamber of the human heart.

MOVIE QUOTES

* He decided then that he would love her forever no matter what came to pass. It was not so much a matter of deciding as accepting the inevitability of it... their love was entirely unavoidable.

* He wanted to put his mouth against hers and leave it there forever. He knew now that he might do so without regretting it.

* He told himself that he had never felt so happy, and he felt a sort of ache that this was happening and would never happen again in just this way no matter how long he lived.

* [She] insisted that duty was less important than love. [He insisted that] love went deep and meant life itself, but honor could not be turned from.

* Still, you should learn to say nothing that will cause you regret. You should not say what is not in your heart–or what is only in your heart for a moment. But you know this–silence is better.

* Shikata ga nai. [Japanese] It cannot be helped, it has to be.

* ...a life in defeat was not for a moment worth living.

* Grief [can] attach itself with permanence... It attaches itself and then it burrows inside and makes a nest and stays. It eats whatever is warm nearby, and then the coldness settles in permanently. You learn to live with it.

* Giving herself over to his wounds was both disturbing and rewarding...she took when she could a piece of his sorrow and stored it for him in her own heart.

* It was something he remembered too often. He felt inside not only an aversion to it but an attraction to it as well. He did not want to remember and he wanted to remember. It was not something he could explain.

Ishmael Chambers: I know you'll think this is crazy, but all I want to do is hold you, and I think that if you'll let me do that just for a few seconds, I can walk away, and never speak to you again.

Arthur Chambers: That's the thing with girls. They grew up and break your heart.

Nels Gudmundsson: It takes a rare thing, a turning point, to free oneself from any obsession. Be it prejudice or hate, or, even love.

Nels Gudmundsson: Accident rules every corner of the universe... except perhaps the chambers of the human heart.

Ishmael/Hatsue Shippers
(Let me know if you want to be added)
Lennie1984

Also a book by David Gutherson

Emma Swan ♥ Killian Hook Jones
Lennie1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Elite Fan

ICONS by ROCKSTAR

- - -
Emma Swan ♥ Killian Hook Jones
Lennie1984 is offline   Reply With Quote