Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

Favorite Sub-plot Love Stories

In most shows, you have your central love arcs that either start out the show or evolve over time. But ultimately you know that a good deal of the flow of the show depends on getting these two characters together. There are a number of examples where these pairings change guard in time. In fact, that is the crux of the dramatic tension in a lot of cases.

But I was thinking, there are an equal number, I'd say, of love stories that are just as romantic and 'ship-able as the central ones but that don't really carry the weight of the show. So many, in fact, that I thought I'd start us a nice new topic here about it.

Before we go any further, let me define what I mean in more concrete terms. Lets say that a "subplot love story" is one in which one or more of the following criteria exists:

*Neither of the characters carries weight as the "main" character at the time of the pairing

*One of the characters is a main character but the other is not. Or, along those lines, the relationship is not the one most people are rooting for, for this person.

*The season or show is defined by one central love story of which this one is not. Meaning that it gets to scrounge for screen time and important moments

*The relationship either looked like it was trying to happen but never did or is in the beginning stages right now (and fits one of the other criteria)

*And, most importantly (but unlikely to require stating the obvious) needs to have enough substance to survive it's being ushered into the corner by the main plot.

I think that's good enough. And now, on with the discussion. In reflecting, I find I have quite a few--thus, the thread.

Buffy
Oz and Willow
Of course, the ultimate cuties. They were up against Buffy and Angel in the 2nd season and then up against her and Riley in the 4th. I think, actually they did/do have a pretty respectable fan following. None the less, however, they did have to fight pretty hard for their screen time. I was always appreciative for those whole episodes, few and far between as they might have been, that were more or less all about them. I thought Alyson and Seth acted their little hearts out in those. LOVED "Wild at Heart" as much as it made me ache with pain for her.

Spike and Drusilla
For a couple who were just supposed to be run-of-the-mill baddies, these two had some of the most memorable lines of all time. They were also up against Buffy and Angel in season 2 and there were never really any entire episodes devoted to their love story but it definately added flavor to the show. Not to mention, made season 2 my favorite of all the seasons, even now; set Spike up to be the ultimate "loves bitch" in subsequent seasons; gave James Marsters the cred to keep on with the show and become a lead role eventually and gave Juliet Landau a pretty nice cult following and a home on the show any time she wanted to drop by for a cameo. Such a great little twisted couple.

Gilmore Girls
Max and Lorelai
I don't know if other people would consider this to be a sub-plot love story since it did pretty much encompass all of season 1. I wasn't watching when it first ran so I don't know how much internet buzz they had. I think it does fit though because when I discovered them not long ago, in trying to solicit discussion at the Gilmore Girls board, I got big fat crickets on my thread. Understandably, since Luke/Lor were right at the apex of their arc at the time.
I think these two had something pretty cool, though. And, really, I wouldn't have wanted it to go much further than it did. As limited relationships go, though, this one had a shocking amount of passion and chemistry. The make out scenes were darn steamy and the banter between them was just adorable. In season 1 anyway.
Not to plug, but I have a webpage for them that is still up...for now.

Felicity
Shawn and Megan
I don't have a lot to say about these two because towards the end of the show my watching was kind of sporadic, so I can't remember all the details. I have this itch to go back and rewatch all the seasons and I have this feeling that if I did, I could potentially become very obsessed with this couple.
Megan was enough just on her own but the unlikiness of this couple to start with, followed by the intensity of their love for each other was just intoxicating.
I thought it was the sweetest thing how their romance played out and Megan, the total friek from season 1 became this warm domestic, playful person as they evolved. Who obviously loved Shawn very much despite the juxtiposition of their characters.

Dawson's Creek
Dawson and Gretchen
Season 4 of DC had all the ups and downs of the Pacey and Joey drama to fill it from top to bottom. And I enjoyed every minute...well, up to the horrible prom incident and the amnesia of season 5.
On the side, though, we got to be introduced to the absolute coolest member of the Witter clan besides Pacey. Gretchen, though the actress didn't look at ALL like a college aged kid (to me, anyway), was one of the greatest one season significant others they ever created. She was cool and level headed and she can take a lot of the credit, I think, for turning 4th season Dawson back into a character I could like and respect. More than anything for the fact that he was able to look up and see a world outside of his perpetual tug of war/infatuation with Joey. I thought they were great.

The X Files
Doggett and Reyes
This is kind of slim because they didn't really have much, but I thought it was neat that they came into this show that was kind of falling down there at the end and revitalized it a little bit. I didn't want to like either of them and I was determined that NO ONE was going to replace the Mulder and Scully romance for me. And, they didn't. But they brought a new and different kind of energy and tenderness to the show that I didn't expect. Both as a quasi-love interest kind of thing and as individual chararcters. I always kind of held out hope that we'd see a little bit more between them, but, then, this IS Chris Carter we're talking about--author of the 100-year romance and other such stories to strain the boundaries of reality.

ER
Corday and Romano
Maybe this was just the imagination of two relationship starved sisters at play but as much as I thought Romano was the biggest pr**k when he first arrived on ER, most of all to Elizabeth, there was something compelling about their little non-relationship. I kept thinking I'd imagined it and then some little thing would happen and I'd start questioning again.
I don't know if they were heading that way or not but there was definately some kind of connection there. Obviously he had had a crush on her/felt some kind of twisted love for her since they met. But in the later seasons, it seemed like, especially after his arm was severed, that they just connected in a way.
She seemed the only person that could force him to get his guard down and stop being a butt to everyone around him. For whatever reason he would listen to her. He would almost become a bit vulnerable and submissive around her because she refused to take his crap.
I thought it was a rather sad moment at the end there when she was looking at his little memorial that no one came to and just kind of looked mournful or regretful or something. She was feeling something that she clearly didn't have the wherewithall to sort out before he died. Hmm...
Old 10-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Master Fan

Excellent topic, Ender's_Jane! It does give some thoughtful matter to discuss and I'll look forward to reading all the replies.

I have always been one to track sub-plot love stories in the books that I read, or the movies and TV shows that I watch. I've always had this soft spot for secondary characters, and I always fall for the underdog in case of a triangle. When I read a romance, it is not rare I prefer the secondary couple over the main characters.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

Well, mine isn't from a TV show but they weren't highly involved in this movie, but one of them was a main character. And that is...
Achilles&Briseis of 'Troy'
dark noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

My favorite sub-plot love stories are
Oz and Willow (BtVS)
Xander and Cordelia (BtVS)
Shawn and Megan (Felicity)
Joey and Eddie (Dawson's Creek)
Old 10-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Master Fan

GG- CHRIS & LOR!!!!!!!! They are the most enchanting couple in the universe in my book. I know they will never end up together tho!!!!!! They are soul mates all the same!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Master Fan

Hee, I forgot to put some exemples.

I think I should think about it a bit more, but the main sub-couples I'm thinking about right now are :
Tony/Michelle in 24
Richard/Ling in Ally McBeal
Old 10-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Xander and Cordy. They are the reason I started watching Buffy. lol

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:39 PM
New Fan

My favorite sub-plot love stories are
Doggett/Reyes: x-files
Btvs:
Willow/Tara
Cordy/Xander
Jenny/Giles
Lane/Dave: Gilmore Girls
Charmed: 1998-2005 Stargate: 1997-?
The Tribe Roswell: 1999-2002
Star Trek Voyager: 1995-2001
7th Heaven: 1996-?

Mulder&Scully Shipper
hh-cracycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Banned

Seth/Summer (The O.C.) -- Their love story is the most interesting one being told on this show.

Ryan/Theresa (The O.C.) -- I am so sad that this pairing is going to be lost forever after the first few episodes of season two. They are so much better together than Ryan/Marissa.

Lucas/Brooke (One Tree Hill) -- Oh, these two have the most wonderful potential for angst, despite OTH being one big party these days. I really want them back together, right now. And even without the angst that the crappy show pushed upon them, I would still think they were the most aptly paired couple the writers came up with.

Christopher/Lorelai (Gilmore Girls) -- Their history and scenes are just so much more appealing than anything else, and I can't wait for him to come back.

Jack/Irina (Alias) -- I'm not finished with s2 yet but I really love how these two interact.
CanonsAreWorthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Seth/Summer were always the sub plot love story on The OC and I'm So happy they got their happy ending!

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 03-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Can I say House/Cameron...??
sanna_o75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh Pacey/Andie in Season 2 of DC.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

What about couplings on shows that aren't personal but procedural? Like Grissom/Sara from CSI or Danny/Elena from Without a Trace... they're canon and they're the major romances of the shows, but for the most part the romances aren't a big part of the plots of the show.
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Lost in Translation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Janet ~ (View Post)
What about couplings on shows that aren't personal but procedural? Like Grissom/Sara from CSI or Danny/Elena from Without a Trace... they're canon and they're the major romances of the shows, but for the most part the romances aren't a big part of the plots of the show.
Yeah, I was wondering taht too. That's why I wasn't sure if I could say House/Cameron
sanna_o75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Dwight and Angela (The office) I love the sub-romance of the office. There secret relatinship is so entertaining and youve come to see how much they really care and mean about each other.

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
BleedingBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread