Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Moderator Support Team

The Dreamers {Betty ღ Kate} #5: "No one's rooting for these two as much as I am." ~ Michael MacLennan, creator

#05;
b e t t y k a t e

appreciation thread

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Kate Andrews. Sweet and shy, she ran away from home and gained employment as a floor worker at a bomb factory, Victory Munitions. It was there she met Betty McRae, a brash, outspoken tomboy. The two couldn't have been more different, and yet, they found themselves drawn to each other. And thus, their tentative friendship blossomed into something w o n d e r f u l. But all was not well: when Kate's father finally found her, her new world came crumbling down. She was forced to leave, but Betty vowed to find her.

Their story has only just begun . . .

shippers.
01. five items
02. mitzay
03. KamilaJ
04. zazie87
05. giftofamber
06. arakha
07. Youmademeseeit
08. Scully_fan
09. ♥EclipseOfTime♥
10. Onomatopoeia
11. eiluvial
12. messy_redhead
13. rararawr
14. soleille
15. quorvo
16. LadyTubbington
17. carol14
18. khalel610
19. murphyboy11
20. constantnothing
21. ShortyK125
22. emzandnaomifan
23. zephyrchild
24. SRBleyton4ever

honorary.
Gladys Witham
Lorna Corbett
Leon Riley
Teresa
Ali Liebert
Charlotte Hegele
Rachel Wilson
Jodi Balfour
Carlyn Burchell
Michael Seater
Michael MacLennan
Adrian Mitchell

● ● ●

s e a s o n 1 ;

● ● ●

x

x

“The story of Betty and Kate is truly the great love story of the first season.”~ Michael MacLennan

“It's pretty obvious that Betty's got it bad for Kate.” ~ Ali Liebert

“I think that Betty thinks they're right for each other ... Kate has really been a positive influence on Betty's life.
~ Ali Liebert

“Betty and Kate's storyline is a combination of fascinatingly challenging and sweet, poignant -- a roller coaster ride.” ~ Adrienne Mitchell

“Their relationship is very complicated, like all interesting love stories.” ~ Ali Liebert

“I promised that Betty and Kate would be the great love story. Seems I wasn't wrong.” ~ Michael MacLennan

“No one's rooting for these two as much as I am.” ~ Michael MacLennan

“Kate does love Betty.” ~ Charlotte Hegele

● ● ●

fiction
the lights that called my name
the days seem to leave when you do
the house they grew up in
the foxes tried to keep them warm
maybe i am the same after all
it's you, it's you, it's all for you
more . . .

videos
everything's meant to be broken
heaven's gonna wait for you
someone like you
the mess i made
found you (and you're safe)
you could come and save me
you're safe here now (i'll make sure)
more . . .

future
"Wanna try a twirl?"
"You're a treasure, Betty."
Because Betty doesn't have the words to explain it, but we know: it's love.
Because Kate inspires Betty to be a better person.
Because Gladys gave Kate a Valentine to remind her of Betty.
"I was walking around thinking that I had no family left. And then I realized that I did."
"Why do you want me messing up your life?" "The thing is, Kate ... the thing is ... "
"I promised that Betty and Kate would be the great love story. Seems I wasn't wrong." ~ Michael MacLennan

past
01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09 | 10

x

x
S T A R D U S T

Last edited by majesdane; 04-18-2013 at 08:36 AM
Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT Title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emzandnaomifan (View Post)
PANDAH, YOU WATCH PLL?? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS??
IDK. I watched it all like September/October time. I guess I don't feel enough to post about it.

ETA: omg we need to update the OP with 2a stuff Twist.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Fan

tftnt Twist Add me to the shippers list
Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Moderator Support Team

Bringing this over from the last thread:

Quote:
Oh man I feel I should like both of those ships, and I indeed do watch PLL, which is more I can say about Lost Girl, but IDK maybe it's lack of screentime for Paige, but E/P just don't speak to me - it's like I see Paily happening and I think "Oh that's nice" but that is how I also felt about Em/Maya, and even Em/Samara, none of them give me shippy feels.
See, I love Paily because I relate very closely to both Emily and Paige (especially Paige) so the relationship speaks to me. Also, going into PLL, when it originally came out, I was a hardcore Emaya shipper because they were very cool in the books. But then Maya left and Paige showed up and I was just like, YES, THIS is my pairing. I've found my heart. Maybe a part of it is that I love antagonistic-turned-romantic relationships. Maybe it's in part because of Paige's redemption storyline (which rang so true, moreso than any other one I've seen). But they just work for me.

I didn't care about Emaya after Maya left. And Samily is just a horrible relationship that I pretend never existed. The only ship I like as much as Paily is Emily/Alison, but again, that's based off my love for them in the books, where they were quite epic (though terrible, too). That relationship doesn't work so well on the show, however, because show!Em is very different from book!Em.

Doccubus ... I liked them in S1 and S2, but I was kind of ... I guess indifferent would sum up my feelings. Because even at the very end of S2 I was still like, 'Yeah, but the new showrunner for S3 LOVES Dybo, so Idk.' But then more and more the showrunner just seemed to realize that Doccubus was the "real" OTP of the show and ended up changing her opinion on the triangle. And if you look at her stuff in S1, it's so different from S3. But I respect that she was able to acknowledge that her ship just wasn't working and let it go. And I think that was what really pushed me into being hardcore over Doccobus.

/life story

Quote:
I partly blame a distinct lack of good drama coming from America (my apologies if you think otherwise) - I mean the biggest shows (according to my dash) rn seem to be Glee and Once upon a time, and I won't even go into how **** Glee has become, and OUaT is like ****ing awful pantomime, but on TV, and just jfc, I can't think of anything I'd want to watch if BG went, and that show isn't even American, but like I mean I used to watch a crap load of US TV and now nada.
It's all in waves, IMHO. I used to watch a lot of US TV, then I watched a lot of UK TV, now I'm more region-neutral. It just depends. My tastes have changed and now I'm really picky about what I watch -- I really like shows with lesbians, but I don't like shows like TLW where it's lesbian drama and there are no external factors (like with Lost Girl, the gay stuff is a part of the show, rather than the FOCUS, if that makes sense).

Right now the only shows I TRULY care about are Bomb Girls, Lost Girl, and PLL, and two of them are Canadian, so. I hate Glee and OUaT (though I'm quite fond of Mulan/Aurora, despite never watching the show -- I know that ship would never happen ANYWAY).

Quote:
Loving the new Michael MacLennan interview by the way. Though there are probably still people in this fandom who will argue for a totally straight Kate. (ARE THEY WATCHING THE SHOW?!?)
Sorry to say, but some people are just ****ing morons.

PS. THE 30 DAYS OF MCANDREWS POST IS HERE.

ETA:

Quote:
ETA: omg we need to update the OP with 2a stuff Twist.
I will when I get a chance, bb! Also, I don't want to do TOO much before S2b airs, you know? WHAT IF WE GET SOME REALLY GOOD STUFF?

Quote:
tftnt Twist Add me to the shippers list
I'll go do that rn.
S T A R D U S T
Old 02-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yay for a shiny new thread! I'm loving the title

I am actually not following too many other shows at present.... Just this and Doctor Who.

Last edited by zephyrchild; 02-20-2013 at 03:31 PM
Old 02-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Elite Fan

tftnt
Quote:
IDK. I watched it all like September/October time. I guess I don't feel enough to post about it.
oh man I blame Panda Lu for getting me in to that show. I still remember the day she told me to watch it

Quote:
No, I must have blocked it from my memory.
good thing that you did because they are/were CONVINCED that she's straight and that the storyline wasn't gonna go that way
Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
good thing that you did because they are/were CONVINCED that she's straight and that the storyline wasn't gonna go that way
That sounds like some people on TLC.
S T A R D U S T
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by five items (View Post)
That sounds like some people on TLC.
Yeah. I can't take the drama there. Also Guest posters make it confusing (and prime troll territory).

Oh yes, because she doesn't fit your view of what a queer woman is... Talk about stereotyping...
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Oh yes, because she doesn't fit your view of what a queer woman is... Talk about stereotyping...
Ugh, don't even get me started on that.
S T A R D U S T
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I hate Glee and OUaT (though I'm quite fond of Mulan/Aurora, despite never watching the show -- I know that ship would never happen ANYWAY).
Tftnt!

I don't like those shows either but Mulan and Aurora are such darlings. If any gay couple ever becomes canon on OUAT, I'd hope it was them.

Also, it's only a minor misspelling but in the OP, "Adrian Mitchell" should be "Adrienne Mitchell".

Are we on Day 9 of the 30 days?

If so, my favourite Betty quote is, "I didn't get pickles". Just kidding, I don't know.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Part-Time Fan

Day 09: Your favorite Betty quote.

Wow... it's a tough call. So many of the things she says are completely hilarious... but have nothing to do with Kate.

Therefore, here's my favourite quote:

"When we're finally safe, it's okay to stop fighting"
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Moderator Support Team

Ugh, you stole mine!

"When we're finally safe, it's okay to stop fighting." I love the subtle underlying message here.

Quote:
I don't like those shows either but Mulan and Aurora are such darlings. If any gay couple ever becomes canon on OUAT, I'd hope it was them.
Same here. They'd be so perfect. Of course, that would never happen though. Heaven forbid a ~family~ show like Once have a gay couple on it. And there'd be such a homophobic backlash, oh my god. Not to mention the inevitable SwanQueen shippers crying about how ~it was so unfair~.

Quote:
Also, it's only a minor misspelling but in the OP, "Adrian Mitchell" should be "Adrienne Mitchell".
Gah, I'll go fix it.
S T A R D U S T
Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Loyal Fan

wow new thread already? TFTNT. Beautiful Gifs. My feels.
I was browsing the last thread and saw a new interview from Michael MacLennan and i was like OMG McAndrews is so endgame.

..solving puzzles saving the day..
You're Safe here
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:

"When we're finally safe, it's okay to stop fighting." I love the subtle underlying message here.
I love that one too. I love how Michael MacLennan is really banging home the idea that there really was no language back then.

Quote:
Same here. They'd be so perfect. Of course, that would never happen though. Heaven forbid a ~family~ show like Once have a gay couple on it. And there'd be such a homophobic backlash, oh my god. Not to mention the inevitable SwanQueen shippers crying about how ~it was so unfair~.
People on Tumblr were saying how both PLL and Modern Family were ABC shows with prominent gay characters so there was a chance of OUAT introducing at least one too, especially since Modern Family was a bit of a family show as well. Who knows.

Oh, I also like this quote:
"You'll come back home after?"
"Go!"
"Please?"

BETTY'S SCARED WHISPERY VOICE. HER FACE after Kate tells her to help Lorna. She's so terrified and so sure that Kate will actually leave again that I just
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
OMG McAndrews is so endgame.
Yes they are.

... But of course I just went on TLC today and people STILL don't think Kate likes women or that McAndrews is endgame. Good lord.

Quote:
People on Tumblr were saying how both PLL and Modern Family were ABC shows with prominent gay characters so there was a chance of OUAT introducing at least one too, especially since Modern Family was a bit of a family show as well. Who knows.
Jane Espenson (or however you spell her name, I'm too ****ing lazy to look it up) comes across as being really homophobic to me. Read anything she says about Once having a gay character and it's all, ~Well I don't think there's a place for them in our show~. She doesn't outright say that, but it's pretty damn close.

And I hate her as a writer anyway.

Quote:
BETTY'S SCARED WHISPERY VOICE. HER FACE after Kate tells her to help Lorna. She's so terrified and so sure that Kate will actually leave again that I just
S T A R D U S T
Closed Thread   Post New Thread