Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Extreme Fan

Couples You Dislike #248: Well-written, beautiful and epic? These couples are the opposite of that.

► No bashing real life people or other shippers
► No baiting and no defending
► NEW RULE: No individual character bashing

Clarification of Rule #3:

If you're listing a couple you dislike such as character/character - and then you write about them and why you don't like them, it's okay to include your dislike for a specific character....but not ONLY that character. Your post should not consist solely of character hate. If you're covering up specific character hate unrelated to what that character does within his or her ship, you'll be asked to edit your post.

"Character/Life", "Character/Existence" and variations thereupon are simply not allowed.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Elite Fan

TFTNT!

Couples that make me vomit, cause headache and overall are fail to the point where I wish I never entered the world of television or fiction in general so I wouldn't have to face those horrors:

1 - Harry/Ginny
2 - Jack/Kate
3 - Cook/Effy
4 - Sawyer/Juliet
5 - Wesley/Fred

Those couples have as much chemistry as a dry toast, their "story" is the most ridiculous and offensive thing I've ever seen and I'd rather read Twilight or VA series than ever have to face those fails in my life.

Couples that are less horrible but still very very bad:

Buffy/Riley
Buffy/Angel
Brooke/Lucas
Brooke/Julian
Xander/Cordelia
Harry/Hermione
Thomas/Pandora

Damon/Elena/Stefan
Tyler/Caroline
Mini/Franky/Matty
Cassie/Adam/Diana

From the previous thread:

Duncan/Veronica so, did I get it right or it is Buffy/Angel, Adam/Cassie and Stefan/Elena all combined? So basically, writers are trying to imply that Duncan was her ~ first real love she will never get over. Yep. All the longing looks from Veronica's side and her trying to figure him out not only because she suspects him in murdering his own sister, but because she still hopes one day they will be together again. Give me a break. And please no more flashbacks, these two as a couple were boring enough in flashbacks already.

Logan&Veronica/Happening too fast Once I catched up with season one of V.Mars few things got me invested and in fact still do, because I managed to almost finish watching the first season despite the fact that I could predict the ending and resolution of literally every "crime" our brave heroine solved in each episode and also guess about what's gonna happen and what is gonna be "revealed" few episodes before it actually was (such as the fact that the suspected murderer of Lilly is dying from a terminal illness and has family whom he wants to have a good life and so he took the blame on himself in order to get the money for them). and those few things that got me invested were quite well written (not greatly, but still, rather well) relationships on that show, such as Veronica/Keith, Veronica/Wallace and finally, the restoring friendship between Logan and Veronica. I absolutely loved Logan's development throughout the season and was happy that writers didn't go cliched route with him and didn't try to make us sympathy with the "bad guy" who allows himself to make racist comments by showing that he has a hard family life. Writers actually made him show different sides of his character and made the audience see that Logan was more than just a jerk. I'd say there wasn't enough of this character in season 1 and during some most boring episodes the only thing that kept me watching till the end was hope to catch a scene of Logan or Logan/Veronica. They used to be friends, then they became enemies, then they started to slowly become friends again and that was the whole point - to slowly re-build their friendship. I wanted them to happen romantically and rooted for them, still do, but god, why do writers need to do everything so fast? It wasn't the right time for that at all. I wanted to see their friendship developing slowly and naturally and now they make them kiss right after they JUST started becoming friends. IMO, it ruined the great build up they could have had. But since I don't have high expectations regarding this or any of the modern shows, I guess I'll just take what they give. Sigh.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr

Last edited by mary ksand; 01-31-2012 at 04:43 PM
Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Addicted Fan

Damon/Elena (TVD)
Tyler/Caroline (TVD)
Shane/Lori (TWD)
Cassie/Jake (TSC)
Zoey/George (Hart Of Dixie)
Zoey/Judson (Hart Of Dixie)
Brooke/Lucas (One Tree Hill)

Even Heisenberg agrees!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Logan&Veronica/Happening too fast Once I catched up with season one of V.Mars few things got me invested and in fact still do, because I managed to almost finish watching the first season despite the fact that I could predict the ending and resolution of literally every "crime" our brave heroine solved in each episode and also guess about what's gonna happen and what is gonna be "revealed" few episodes before it actually was (such as the fact that the suspected murderer of Lilly is dying from a terminal illness and has family whom he wants to have a good life and so he took the blame on himself in order to get the money for them). and those few things that got me invested were quite well written (not greatly, but still, rather well) relationships on that show, such as Veronica/Keith, Veronica/Wallace and finally, the restoring friendship between Logan and Veronica. I absolutely loved Logan's development throughout the season and was happy that writers didn't go cliched route with him and didn't try to make up sympathy with the "bad guy" who allows himself to make racist comments by showing that he has a hard family life. Writers actually made him show different sides of his character and made the audience see that Logan was more than just a jerk. I'd say there wasn't enough of this character in season 1 and during some most boring episodes the only thing that kept me watching till the end was hope to catch a scene of Logan or Logan/Veronica. They used to be friends, then they became enemies, then they started to slowly become friends again and that was the whole point - to slowly re-build their friendship. I wanted them to happen romantically and rooted for them, still do, but god, why do writers need to do everything so fast? It wasn't the right time for that at all. I wanted to see their friendship developing slowly and naturally and now they make them kiss right after they JUST started becoming friends. IMO, it ruined the great build up they could have had. But since I don't have high expectations regarding this or any of the modern shows, I guess I'll just take what they give. Sigh.
This was exactly why I could never get behind Veronica/Logan. I wasn't a big fan of Veronica/Duncan either.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Logan&Veronica/Happening too fast Once I catched up with season one of V.Mars few things got me invested and in fact still do, because I managed to almost finish watching the first season despite the fact that I could predict the ending and resolution of literally every "crime" our brave heroine solved in each episode and also guess about what's gonna happen and what is gonna be "revealed" few episodes before it actually was (such as the fact that the suspected murderer of Lilly is dying from a terminal illness and has family whom he wants to have a good life and so he took the blame on himself in order to get the money for them). and those few things that got me invested were quite well written (not greatly, but still, rather well) relationships on that show, such as Veronica/Keith, Veronica/Wallace and finally, the restoring friendship between Logan and Veronica. I absolutely loved Logan's development throughout the season and was happy that writers didn't go cliched route with him and didn't try to make up sympathy with the "bad guy" who allows himself to make racist comments by showing that he has a hard family life. Writers actually made him show different sides of his character and made the audience see that Logan was more than just a jerk. I'd say there wasn't enough of this character in season 1 and during some most boring episodes the only thing that kept me watching till the end was hope to catch a scene of Logan or Logan/Veronica. They used to be friends, then they became enemies, then they started to slowly become friends again and that was the whole point - to slowly re-build their friendship. I wanted them to happen romantically and rooted for them, still do, but god, why do writers need to do everything so fast? It wasn't the right time for that at all. I wanted to see their friendship developing slowly and naturally and now they make them kiss right after they JUST started becoming friends. IMO, it ruined the great build up they could have had. But since I don't have high expectations regarding this or any of the modern shows, I guess I'll just take what they give. Sigh.
This was exactly why I could never get behind Veronica/Logan. I wasn't a big fan of Veronica/Duncan either.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmidnightx (View Post)
I actually really like the idea of them and I think the actors have incredible chemistry and I love their dynamic, but why do writers need to ruin it by rushing everything? They started having a very good development in one and two episodes and there was a potential of making their friendship progress beautifully, but instead writers come up with that kiss and she is basically all over his face when they just started re-building their friendship after being enemies for such long time because Logan held her accountable for his girlfriend's death? It just didn't seem right and didn't work well, it erased all the potential for a better build up that they could have had.

I prefer them to Duncan/Veronica and I want them together, but this is definitely not the way I wanted them together. I feel like modern writers just forgot how to write a build up and they waste the potential of good things that could have been even better.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

Duncan/Veronica

Quote:
Oh god... Is that for real?? I was planning on catching up on Dexter this weekend... but now I am not even sure I want to. Why do the writers have to do that?!!
Well nothing happened yet - and I doubt it ever will because there is no way Dexter would ever see Deb as anything more than his sister - but it was indicated that Deb loves him. And it rubbed me the wrong way. But the season was good, at least imo. The cliffhanger was so good! You should definitely give it a try and besides the whole Deb having feelings for Dex bs, it's a great and strong season for Debra.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Duncan/Veronica
Awful. I thought I would like them, because I really like Duncan, but I just hate them together, even their flashbacks bore me to death, which is the great indecation of their relationship not being my cup of tea. And how Veronica is being all cheesy around him. Ugh, go away!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Everybody was saying how VM was a lot like Buffy. The first episode I saw was the one with LoVe's first kiss.

I didn't like Veronica/Duncan.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Elite Fan

JACK/GWEN The longest running hero worshipping non existent couple out there. Jack and Gwen are both supposed to be adults but they honestly both behave like children around each other. Its really quite ridiculous in my opinion.

Scott/Allison Now these two I can understand since they ARE 16, but honestly, who claims their undying love for one another after only two months of knowing each other? I mean REALLY. Derek's right. Scott's not in love, he only THINKS he is.

^Tate Langdon does NOT approve

^Neither does Stiles Stilinski

"Its about who you fall in love with."

John Paul McQueen & Craig Dean

Old 01-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Bee (View Post)
Everybody was saying how VM was a lot like Buffy. The first episode I saw was the one with LoVe's first kiss.

I didn't like Veronica/Duncan.
Well, I certainly don't see VM like Buffy at all I find VM quite addictive, but not because it is a masterpiece, the plot is rather cliched and predictable imo, some episodes are really boring and hard to get through. It's a good show and I can understand why other people love it, but I just didn't feel the depth there. I think it's well constructed in terms of telling a particular story, but it doesn't go deeper than that. It doesn't give us much of a look into emotional aspects, or deal with feelings, it mostly states facts: Logan suffers from home abusive and therefore he himself developed abusive tendencies though the truth is that he is a damaged kid, Veronica lost her friend and will never find a closure before he finds out who really murdered her, Duncan has his own issues, etc. And it's all limited to that. We don't really see Veronica struggling with the death of her friend, we see her being upset and then trying to resolve this crime, because this is what she is designed to do. It seems likea very well done computer game where all the characters are being put into different situations and have to find a way out. And it's enjoyable but not something that makes me personally emotionally attached to it.

Duncan and Veronica lack chemistry and their relationship is really boring.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Master Fan

Damon/Elena
Damon/Elena/Stefan
Elena/Stefan
Klaus/Caroline

Quote:
Logan&Veronica/Happening too fast Once I catched up with season one of V.Mars few things got me invested and in fact still do, because I managed to almost finish watching the first season despite the fact that I could predict the ending and resolution of literally every "crime" our brave heroine solved in each episode and also guess about what's gonna happen and what is gonna be "revealed" few episodes before it actually was (such as the fact that the suspected murderer of Lilly is dying from a terminal illness and has family whom he wants to have a good life and so he took the blame on himself in order to get the money for them). and those few things that got me invested were quite well written (not greatly, but still, rather well) relationships on that show, such as Veronica/Keith, Veronica/Wallace and finally, the restoring friendship between Logan and Veronica. I absolutely loved Logan's development throughout the season and was happy that writers didn't go cliched route with him and didn't try to make us sympathy with the "bad guy" who allows himself to make racist comments by showing that he has a hard family life. Writers actually made him show different sides of his character and made the audience see that Logan was more than just a jerk. I'd say there wasn't enough of this character in season 1 and during some most boring episodes the only thing that kept me watching till the end was hope to catch a scene of Logan or Logan/Veronica. They used to be friends, then they became enemies, then they started to slowly become friends again and that was the whole point - to slowly re-build their friendship. I wanted them to happen romantically and rooted for them, still do, but god, why do writers need to do everything so fast? It wasn't the right time for that at all. I wanted to see their friendship developing slowly and naturally and now they make them kiss right after they JUST started becoming friends. IMO, it ruined the great build up they could have had. But since I don't have high expectations regarding this or any of the modern shows, I guess I'll just take what they give. Sigh.
Oh wow. I've never bothered posting my thoughts on them because I don't hate the ship per se, but I found it really underwhelming once it got going. This:

Quote:
It's a good show and I can understand why other people love it, but I just didn't feel the depth there. I think it's well constructed in terms of telling a particular story, but it doesn't go deeper than that. It doesn't give us much of a look into emotional aspects, or deal with feelings, it mostly states facts: Logan suffers from home abusive and therefore he himself developed abusive tendencies though the truth is that he is a damaged kid, Veronica lost her friend and will never find a closure before he finds out who really murdered her, Duncan has his own issues, etc. And it's all limited to that. We don't really see Veronica struggling with the death of her friend, we see her being upset and then trying to resolve this crime, because this is what she is designed to do. It seems likea very well done computer game where all the characters are being put into different situations and have to find a way out. And it's enjoyable but not something that makes me personally emotionally attached to it.
is a big part of why. Take Veronica's rape for example; Logan was on her list of suspects. That alone should've had a huge affect on how she interacted with him (but didn't) and he did eventually confess to exploiting her drugged state to force shot after shot down her throat while doing his own shots off her sluggish body. And Veronica? Just said she was choosing not to dwell on it, or however she phrased it. They introduced that into the show and then...just let it go. That's an unfortunate part of being a teenage girl so I completely support the show going there, and on Logan's side as well - but if you're going to do that at least have the guts to follow through on it. VM always backed off its storylines before they got heavy, which stopped the show from being great for me and stopped L/V from being a truly dynamic couple. Logan and Veronica were both very messed up people, and I loved watching them burn individually and during their friendship scenes, but once they were put together its like their issues were too much so the show set them aside and forced more contrived or regressive issues onto them The show's biggest asset was the cast, they really elevated the show. Not enough that I watched the full run - I only saw about every third episode of the last season. A show and couple with huge potential but the writers just didn't have the follow through.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Master Fan

My Usuals

Emma and Regina
Regina and Graham
Emma and Mysterious Biker Dude
Graham/Death
Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Betty (View Post)
Damon/Elena
Damon/Elena/Stefan
Elena/Stefan
Klaus/Caroline

Oh wow. I've never bothered posting my thoughts on them because I don't hate the ship per se, but I found it really underwhelming once it got going. This:

is a big part of why. Take Veronica's rape for example; Logan was on her list of suspects. That alone should've had a huge affect on how she interacted with him (but didn't) and he did eventually confess to exploiting her drugged state to force shot after shot down her throat while doing his own shots off her sluggish body. And Veronica? Just said she was choosing not to dwell on it, or however she phrased it. They introduced that into the show and then...just let it go. That's an unfortunate part of being a teenage girl so I completely support the show going there, and on Logan's side as well - but if you're going to do that at least have the guts to follow through on it. VM always backed off its storylines before they got heavy, which stopped the show from being great for me and stopped L/V from being a truly dynamic couple. Logan and Veronica were both very messed up people, and I loved watching them burn individually and during their friendship scenes, but once they were put together its like their issues were too much so the show set them aside and forced more contrived or regressive issues onto them The show's biggest asset was the cast, they really elevated the show. Not enough that I watched the full run - I only saw about every third episode of the last season. A show and couple with huge potential but the writers just didn't have the follow through.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I think Logan and Veronica are both great characters and I actually found myself rooting for them, I wanted them together at some point but at the point when they actually happened they were only starting becoming friends and working out their issues so it was way too early, way too rushed and didn't let their friendship evolve, didn't let us see them struggling with their emotional issues and again left the emotional espect aside. Ok, I was not really even expecting that from this show. I knew writers were not gonna dig deep which is their loss, because those characters actually had a great potential to be explored more and had writers been more risky, they would have brought up more issues that their characters had and showed up what kind of emotional impact it had on them instead of just stating facts: this and this happened, he or she felt this and that.

Both Logan and Veronica have an amazing potential as dramatic characters and their build up as individuals and as a romance could have been epic, but unfortunatelly writerslimited their potential to what was on the surface. I still like them, but I feel like it could have been so much better.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Duncan/Veronica alternated between hilariously awful (Duncan smashing that car) and just plain creepy (his Madonna/whore vision of Veronica and Meg). The thing is, they had no chance of surviving him sleeping with her while thinking he was her brother, thinking he was her brother at ALL, and the drastic changes both underwent in the aftermath of Lilly's death. Which is fine in terms of S1 when that seemed acknowledged, but then there was the hot mess of their reunion in S2.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread