Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Extreme Fan

Couples You Dislike #235: Duck, duck, GROSS

► No bashing real life people or other shippers
► No baiting and no defending
► Occasionally mentioning your dislike for a character or show/movie/book is okay, but keep the main discussion of this thread to disliking couples

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damon/Elena
Damon/Life

Y'know what, I'm not even going to pretend to be shocked or surprised. Damon is just predictable at this point. Damon is the most boring character on TVD now, because you can see his actions coming a mile off. He makes some snarky comments, tries to be the "truth guy", then the moment anyone makes the slightest suggestion in the nicest possible way that maybe he should hold back a little, he snaps and does something stupid like kill his only friend. It's so repulsive and frustrating and above all else dull.

Is this what passes for character development now? Damon has come so far in this past year, he's progressed from killing Elena's brother right in front of her to killing Elena's father figure right in front of her temporarily.

It's annoying, because DE and even moreso Damon himself have always had potential. Ian Somerhalder is a tremendous actor and Damon has some great lines (despite my hatred for him, he's still probably the funniest character on TVD, it's just annoying that every time I laugh I feel irritated by the fact), and he has great chemistry with Nina Dobrev. But all that potential is wasted by the terrible writing, "shocking twists" and piss-poor development the writers keeps throwing at Damon and DE. This episode was a good example of that - the kitchen scene was actually really nice. It was fun and cute and witty, and it shows Damon's potential. Scenes like that make me think that maybe I could like Damon one day, but by the end of the episode I'm back to hating him.

He had potential, but I think it's too late to save him now. At this point, he's no longer interesting. He's not complex or three-dimensional or even entertaining. He's just a dick.

Stefan/Rebekah
Rebekah/Life - I already knew I didn't like her, due to her being a pointless, whiny, irritating brat, but the moment she inadvertently stopped Stefan from undaggering Elijah, I knew I would hate her forever.
On that note, Elijah/Dagger
Jeremy/Bonnie - Jeremy just has better chemistry with Anna, Tyler, Vicki... pretty much every other character on the show.
Matt/Caroline - I just can't buy his supposed jealousy over Tyler/Caroline. He spent most of his time criticising Caroline so I don't understand why he apparently loves her, so his jealousy just comes off more like macho posturing.
Bonnie and Matt/The show - I don't even dislike Bonnie particularly, but she is nothing but a plot device and I don't see that changing. And Matt is just the most pointless character on the show, and I cannot think of anything they could do with him, plot or arc wise. TVD needs to trim these loose ends if it wants to get anything done.

Hangovers/Life
Could I just crawl into a hole and die now? I think my stomach and liver are eating each other.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT!

Tyler/Caroline
Jeremy/Anna
Stefan/Elena

Vampire Diaries/writing. I'm tired of the way they are writing Damon. It's always one step forward and two steps back. Enough already.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Obsessed Fan

Re-posting

TVD/life:
Alaric: DAMON Y U NO STAY AWAY FROM ELENA?

Wait...what? So when you took Elena on a suicide mission to find Stefan, the strongest supernatural being known to man and a pack of werewolves on a full moon, you were being the good guy? Is that why you called Damon to "protect" you only to consider him a "threat" afterwards? Huh? Could you BE any more hypocritical, dude? Damon did nothing but keep Elena safe ever since Stefan left. Why does he deserve to be crapped on? Elena would have exposed herself to Klaus in one of her MUST FIND STEFAN BECAUSE A 150 YEAR OLD VAMPIRE NEEDS BY HELP MORE THAN ANYTHING mission and died by now if it wasn't for Damon.

Also, Caroline (a vampire who is a year old) kicked Damon's (who is 150 years old) ass? Totally makes sense

Can't wait for Klaus to come and gobble them down next week

STEFAN/ELENA
Jack/Kate
Bill/Sookie
Lucas/Peyton
Nathan/Haley

All the couples that writer's basically shove down throats
Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Elite Fan

Thank you for the thread, Ollie I was about to open because I felt like the rant is coming, but then saw you already did it

Anyway, I agree with you for the most part and I think you summed it up greatly why I can't like TVD in general. But I have to write my own rant to get this out of my chest.

TVD/Existence
Skins/Existence
Lost/Existence

Those shows are very different but they have some features in common and those similarities are the reason why I lost all of my respect for those shows and don't want to come back to them anymore. TVD is the only show that I STILL give a shot and give them second, third, forth chance, but only because writers somehow act relatively respectfull when it comes to fans' feedback (at least no rude tweets from them yet and no refering to fans as to a "bunch of people on internet" like one of Skins creators did when fans dared to criticize his ridiculous writing) and because I really don't take this show seriously and from the very start I knew that TVD is a joke, will never have the depth of BTVS and the only reason why I watched it was for fun and entertainment and amazingly talented cast. Unfortunatelly, now this show doesn't even entertain me anymore. TVD writers seem to learn from Lost and Skins about how to handle their story aka throwing nonsensical **** on their viewers believing that it makes their show more risky and provocative. Newsflash writers, but a REAL risk is when you explore your characters' potential, not waste it. When everything you do logically comes out of your story and even the darkest of SL's lead to something and make sense for characters' progression and development. But when you do something completelly unnecessary, ridiculous and nonsensical for the sake of shock that is not needed for the story AT ALL, leads to nowhere and leaves things hanging instead of moving and changing - that's when you fail. That is not a good writing. Joss Whedon knew how to do dark story lines because they always were needed for something and meant worlds to the story in general and characters' progression. With TVD, Skins and Lost is was something like: "Lets do this and that because it's ZOMG so nonsensical and violent and kewl and dark! It makes us so edgy. Even though after that we wouldn't be able to explain it, and wouldn't be even able to go anywhere from there, because we ruin the general sense of our show". No. Just no. The reason why those shows will never be epic is because they are not being genuin, they rely on cheap tricks and forced, contrived plot twists and shock for the sake of shock and none of it means anything. And none of it makes sense.

And since it's the couples thread, My TVD OTFs are:

Stefan/Elena
Stefan/Katherine
Damon/Katherine
Katherine/Life
Tyler/Caroline

Damon/Writing

Other OTF's:

Brooke/Lucas
Jack/Kate
Sawyer/Juliet
Harry/Ginny
Harry/Hermione
Cook/Effy
Bill/Sookie
Angel/Buffy

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 10-07-2011, 03:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT

Damon/Elena
Damon Salvatore/Life

Jacob/Bella
Jacob Black/Life

Jack/Gwen
Gwen Cooper/Life

All disturbing and vile
Old 10-07-2011, 03:32 AM
Loyal Fan

Reposting from the previous thread.

Damon did... what?
Wow... didn't see that coming. And I was already FAR from happy about the way Damon was being written. I haven't seen the episode yet, so I can't put things in context, but how could he? He is his friend. Like, his only real friend. I can't even find the words to describe him, right now.

Remember me saying yesterday that I still had a little hope about getting to like him again? Well, forget it. Damon/life will be my new mantra from now on. Alaric is my favourite character together with Caroline and now he's messed with both of them. I'm over him. I don't want him near ANY character I like right now

I'm honestly losing hope in the TVD writers. You want to make Damon bad? Then make him bad. You want him to struggle with his non-humanity and give in to moments of madness? Fine, but then don't try to sell him to me as a viable friend or as a viable romantic interest.
I can deal with dark characters. I can even like them. But they need to be held true to what they are. He can't be the romantic hero one episode and then the villain the next one, just choose a path and stick to that, TVD writers, it shouldn't be that hard.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 AM
Master Fan

Adam/ Cassie
Adam/ Diana

Old 10-07-2011, 03:56 AM
Master Fan

From the previous thread.

Quote:
TVD/Writing congrats, TVD! You are following a great path of LOST and Skins gen 2: throw nonsensical **** on your viewers for shock effect, messing up with character development because you think it's ZOMG so edgy and provocative and expect to get certain reactions from the audience when the truth is that a writer should focus on telling a story, not on making people shocked or angry. And that's why, TVD, you will NEVER be BTVS. EVER. And most likely I stop watching this show.
THIS! I just can't anymore with this ****ery. Instead of exploring Damon's potential, they're doing everything in their power to waste it. BRA-VO.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlight-Electr0 (View Post)
From the previous thread.

THIS! I just can't anymore with this ****ery. Instead of exploring Damon's potential, they're doing everything in their power to waste it. BRA-VO.
Exactly. Damon has it all to become one of the most epic characters of all time. He is portrayed by a super talented actor, he has charisma, he has charm, he can show great progress. But no, writers get bored with developing his character and assume it is not as edgy and provocative as making him do some bad things for shock effect and make all the other characters hate him. And it doesn't make any sense in the world, they just do it because they want to come out as "dark" and "risky", though they come out as lame and nonsensical and ridiculous instead

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 10-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Void (View Post)
Damon/Elena
Damon/Life

Y'know what, I'm not even going to pretend to be shocked or surprised. Damon is just predictable at this point. Damon is the most boring character on TVD now, because you can see his actions coming a mile off. He makes some snarky comments, tries to be the "truth guy", then the moment anyone makes the slightest suggestion in the nicest possible way that maybe he should hold back a little, he snaps and does something stupid like kill his only friend. It's so repulsive and frustrating and above all else dull.

Is this what passes for character development now? Damon has come so far in this past year, he's progressed from killing Elena's brother right in front of her to killing Elena's father figure right in front of her temporarily.

It's annoying, because DE and even moreso Damon himself have always had potential. Ian Somerhalder is a tremendous actor and Damon has some great lines (despite my hatred for him, he's still probably the funniest character on TVD, it's just annoying that every time I laugh I feel irritated by the fact), and he has great chemistry with Nina Dobrev. But all that potential is wasted by the terrible writing, "shocking twists" and piss-poor development the writers keeps throwing at Damon and DE. This episode was a good example of that - the kitchen scene was actually really nice. It was fun and cute and witty, and it shows Damon's potential. Scenes like that make me think that maybe I could like Damon one day, but by the end of the episode I'm back to hating him.

He had potential, but I think it's too late to save him now. At this point, he's no longer interesting. He's not complex or three-dimensional or even entertaining. He's just a dick.

Stefan/Rebekah
Rebekah/Life - I already knew I didn't like her, due to her being a pointless, whiny, irritating brat, but the moment she inadvertently stopped Stefan from undaggering Elijah, I knew I would hate her forever.
On that note, Elijah/Dagger
Jeremy/Bonnie - Jeremy just has better chemistry with Anna, Tyler, Vicki... pretty much every other character on the show.
Matt/Caroline - I just can't buy his supposed jealousy over Tyler/Caroline. He spent most of his time criticising Caroline so I don't understand why he apparently loves her, so his jealousy just comes off more like macho posturing.
Bonnie and Matt/The show - I don't even dislike Bonnie particularly, but she is nothing but a plot device and I don't see that changing. And Matt is just the most pointless character on the show, and I cannot think of anything they could do with him, plot or arc wise. TVD needs to trim these loose ends if it wants to get anything done.
All of these.

S/R is horribly boring. Paul and the actress that plays Rebekah have good chemistry but that's it. There's nowhere for them to go within the show. This all just feels like a waste of time, and it's not even interesting Rebekah is a walking cliche of the spoiled princess/rich 20s girl; from the way she talks to her stuck-up and detached attitude.

Katherine/Elijah&Damon&Stefan - She's a lying manipulative bitch that abused Stefan; she's entirely without honor or dignity and she's hugely overrated as both a villain and a seductress. Katherine is another character that is a huge letdown. TVD is great at crafting characters that are good guests but any extended screentime usually ruins them. A little goes a long way, as the saying goes, and that's especially true of Katherine.

Stefan/Elena - Stefan, at this point, couldn't be more of a Mary Sue. The most powerful being on the planet wants to be his bff and another Original is in love with him. The lead female character is in love with him, Katherine is in love with him, and he's one of the most vicious Rippers of all time while also being well-known for being "one of the good ones". DEAR GOD make it stop. It's like they decided they made Elena too important in the mythology - taking her from this unassuming high school girl to a supernatural being whose death was desired by the most powerful creature in existence; from a girl who had to be rescued to a girl who learned to rescue herself - so they have to build Stefan up to ridiculous degrees to compensate. The past four episodes have been a very elaborate way of bringing us back to where we were in the first season: Elena as this doe-eyed helpless girl who has to be rescued by Stefan The All-Powerful and Damon The ****-Up. No doubt the boys will end up fighting over her again soon, after getting past this Stefan/Rebekah thing (am I the only one who thinks they might try to torment Elena with this, like a much worse version of Katherine/Stefan?). Elena will always have to be less. No thank you. I don't watch for Stefan.

Damon/Elena - I'll just let Ian Somerhalder say it for me:

Quote:
"I know a lot of people would like for that to happen, but the reality of it is that he's done some pretty messed up stuff," Somerhalder explains. "Even if he does get in her good graces he'll always do something to screw it up."

Plus there’s the fact that they’re nothing alike. "She wants a life of peace with no death, and he's [into] destructive killing,” he says. “It's like trying to watch a lion and a gazelle be friends, it's just not meant to be...”
The thing is: there was nothing about his actions that was OOC. This is who Damon is. Like KW said, Damon will always be the guy who will call himself a hero and then kill three people. This is how they've written him from day 1.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:02 AM
Obsessed Fan

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is on tv here at the moment & i'm remembering how much i HATE how they butchered this movie!

Harry&Ron's bromance sidelined for non-canon Harry&Hermione scenes/LIFE!
The trio not being shown as all equally important/LIFE
Harry/Hermione (as more than best friends)
Buthering Ron's character/LIFE
Neville having one line this movie/LIFE
Lack of explanation & depth in Snape scenes/LIFE
HBP movie/LIFE!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Betty (View Post)

The thing is: there was nothing about his actions that was OOC. This is who Damon is. Like KW said, Damon will always be the guy who will call himself a hero and then kill three people. This is how they've written him from day 1.
I hadn't read this quote by KW, but honestly I'm a bit surprised by it... believe me, I agree that that's who Damon is (I think he had great potential in season 1 and I would have found a redemption storyline believable by then, but definitely not anymore) but I think they're not conveying this image in the right way through the writing. The fact is, everyone seems always so ready to forgive him on the show that it comes off like his actions, killing people, raping and brainwashing Andie, etc., are no big deal. If they really want to present him as a hypocrite, who believes himself a hero and then goes hurting people, they should have at least SOME characters acknolewdge that. Elena all the more, if they don't want her to come off as an idiot.

And I'm beginning to fear it will be the same with Stefan. I don't hate him (not yet) but I think after this ripper storyline things can't (and shouldn't) come back to normality between him and the people at Mystic Falls. As I said, I'm ok with dark characters, but I can't buy them when they are made to interact normally with other people at convenience. And at this point I don't trust the writers to handle the thing in the right way. At all.

The way they treat vampires is so inconsistent, btw. If resisting the urge to kill is so difficult, why is that that Caroline lives almost normally? Ok, Stefan helped her, but shouldn't she be facing at least some internal struggle? I can't condone Stefan and Damon's actions as something that's just part of their nature, when a newborn vampire apparently handles everything perfectly.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plucky Sidekick (View Post)
I hadn't read this quote by KW, but honestly I'm a bit surprised by it... believe me, I agree that that's who Damon is (I think he had great potential in season 1 and I would have found a redemption storyline believable by then, but definitely not anymore) but I think they're not conveying this image in the right way through the writing. The fact is, everyone seems always so ready to forgive him on the show that it comes off like his actions, killing people, raping and brainwashing Andie, etc., are no big deal. If they really want to present him as a hypocrite, who believes himself a hero and then goes hurting people, they should have at least SOME characters acknolewdge that. Elena all the more, if they don't want her to come off as an idiot.

And I'm beginning to fear it will be the same with Stefan. I don't hate him (not yet) but I think after this ripper storyline things can't (and shouldn't) come back to normality between him and the people at Mystic Falls. As I said, I'm ok with dark characters, but I can't buy them when they are made to interact normally with other people at convenience. And at this point I don't trust the writers to handle the thing in the right way. At all.

The way they treat vampires is so inconsistent, btw. If resisting the urge to kill is so difficult, why is that that Caroline lives almost normally? Ok, Stefan helped her, but shouldn't she be facing at least some internal struggle? I can't condone Stefan and Damon's actions as something that's just part of their nature, when a newborn vampire apparently handles everything perfectly.
ICA with all of this. That quote, btw, is here:

Quote:
“Damon’s always going to be one step forward, two steps back. He’s going to say, ‘Okay, so I’m the hero,’ and then kill three people. That’s not okay with Elena… He does things his way and he operates with his own rule book. It’s not a bad rule book. It’s just a deadly rule book.”
Old 10-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Master Fan

Agreed with everything said here about TVD and Damon Even if they did try to redeem him now, he's too far gone to EVER be a viable romantic or friendly interest to Elena and the rest of the gang, ever again.

Damon/Elena
Damon/Anyone
Damon/Life
Stefan/Elena
Matt/Caroline
Matt/Life
TVD/Existence
Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Loyal Fan

TVD hating mood...

Damon/Elena
Damon/Life
Elena/3x04
- I really hope this season doesn't make me say Elena/Life.

"What does that say about me?" - I think it says that you owe Kat for your stuck-up attitude, Elena. Fine, I get it. You can't help who you're attracted to. But how you choose to act on it - defines you. I'm even done being an SE fan - for now. Stefan's right. Things are never going to be the same. Either their relationship braves Klaus and emerges stronger (which I don't see happening this season) or things get worse and Elena hooks up with Damon. At this point Elena is more of a plot device than Bonnie. What irks me about this whole situation is that Stefan is out getting tortured for her and we cut to the scene of Elena giggling and making-eyes at his brother. Are you kidding me writers??!! Why the hell should they write Elena having 'moments' with Damon while Stefan is tragically stuck on her?! Let him atleast utilize his potential and chemistry with other characters please.
The worst part is there is no way this triangle can thrive without making all its characters look completely bad. Stefan's already bearing its brunt. And as for Elena, I really really hope they write her carefully with regards to her attraction towards Damon. She's already becoming unlikeable. Even completely disregarding the stuff Damon's done to all the people she loves, DE would still be gross unless Stefan died or something.
Damon was actually Damon this episode. Of course what he did was unreasonable but I actually enjoyed him this episode because they didn't try to woobify him. He was a dick and had no regrets. I honestly prefer that Damon. It was very in character. But I didn't like that he took it out on Alaric. That was a low move. Elena's at an emotionally vulnerable phase and Damon's taking advantage of that. Alaric just asked him to give her some space. WTF?? So you snap his neck? Psychopath.
icon:Ann
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top