Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 02:51 AM
Extreme Fan

Couples You Dislike #223: There aren't enough facepalms in the world.

► No bashing real life people or other shippers
► No baiting and no defending
► Occasionally mentioning your dislike for a character or show/movie/book is okay, but keep the main discussion of this thread to disliking couples
Old 07-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AIR~ (View Post)
The fake Dark Knight Rises trailer/people thinking it's real
It's real hun
Thanks to Jade for the icon!!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Elite Fan

TFTNT!

Harry/Hermione - First; I thought about these a lot recently because I do ship people from the HP books that aren't canon (Harry/Luna, Ron/Harry, Draco/Ron, etc.,) but I have a really hard time warming up to this pairing. I find it completely direspectful to the story that J.K. intricately wrote to even try and imply that H/Hr were inches away from jumping on each others bones - and the chemistry between Dan and Emma is weird, I find it's like they know they're being pushed together outside of the actual story and they're embarrassed. It detracts from the story of the Trio - and I might be overly sensitive because I love Ron and the friendship he formed with Harry in the books, but it really rubs me up the wrong way with the H/Hr friendship in the films.

And I think that the line - I love her like a sister proves that H/Hr don't have any sexualised feelings for each other. If Harry were to announce that he loved Ron like a brother (when in book!canon that have a thousand more instances to support a ~secret love) I'd be hard pushed to spin that as Harry doesn't know what it's like to have a brother/sibling. He had Dudley. Siblings are nothing but people who grow in the same house as you. There isn't some sort of correct way to feel about them - I'd imagine it can range from indifference to hate, the exact way Harry and Dudley felt about each other. So, Harry does know what it's like to have a sibling. And he can identify platonic love.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme (View Post)
TFTNT!

Harry/Hermione - First; I thought about these a lot recently because I do ship people from the HP books that aren't canon (Harry/Luna, Ron/Harry, Draco/Ron, etc.,) but I have a really hard time warming up to this pairing. I find it completely direspectful to the story that J.K. intricately wrote to even try and imply that H/Hr were inches away from jumping on each others bones - and the chemistry between Dan and Emma is weird, I find it's like they know they're being pushed together outside of the actual story and they're embarrassed. It detracts from the story of the Trio - and I might be overly sensitive because I love Ron and the friendship he formed with Harry in the books, but it really rubs me up the wrong way with the H/Hr friendship in the films.

And I think that the line - I love her like a sister proves that H/Hr don't have any sexualised feelings for each other. If Harry were to announce that he loved Ron like a brother (when in book!canon that have a thousand more instances to support a ~secret love) I'd be hard pushed to spin that as Harry doesn't know what it's like to have a brother/sibling. He had Dudley. Siblings are nothing but people who grow in the same house as you. There isn't some sort of correct way to feel about them - I'd imagine it can range from indifference to hate, the exact way Harry and Dudley felt about each other. So, Harry does know what it's like to have a sibling. And he can identify platonic love.
This is a brilliant post I love Harry/Hermione's friendship just as much as I love Harry/Ron's friendship cause in the books it was equal friendships. I hate that the movies kinda take that away and make it seems like Hermione is Harry's best friend and Ron is just hanging around.
I'm glad JKR never went there with HHr, though it would have been weird anyway considering they way she always wrote them

I would hate to miss another boat
Old 07-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I hate that the movies kinda take that away and make it seems like Hermione is Harry's best friend and Ron is just hanging around.
Exactly, like Ron is just the spare Even the fact that they're pushing a woman character up to second billing essentially doesn't make me feel any better because they're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Hermione was brilliant in the books, but she was book smart - while Harry had his instinct and Ron had his logic. They completed each other as a friendship, it wasn't just Harry running about with Hermione being brilliant behind him and making sure he doesn't die
Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

There was a Dark Knight Rises trailer at the beginning of HP7 in my theater, so I'm pretty sure that one is not a fake, lol. I don't think movie theaters are in the business of showing fake trailers.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Exactly, like Ron is just the spare Even the fact that they're pushing a woman character up to second billing essentially doesn't make me feel any better because they're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Hermione was brilliant in the books, but she was book smart - while Harry had his instinct and Ron had his logic. They completed each other as a friendship, it wasn't just Harry running about with Hermione being brilliant behind him and making sure he doesn't die
The way they wrote Ron in the movies will forever piss me off Harry/Hermione/Ron work as a trio and sometimes they seem to forget that

I would hate to miss another boat
Old 07-16-2011, 06:04 AM
Elite Fan

TFTNT!

In my opinion, Harry should have ended up with Luna or alone (in fact, I think him ending up alone would have been a great and fitting ending - a guy needed time for himself after that horrible war, for heaven's sake, him being paired up with his mary sue-ish constantly jealus bitchy fangirl was stupid). Obviously, as an R/Hr shipper, I never saw H/Hr romantically and don't think there was ever anything that could grow into romance. My main problem with movies is how Ron/Harry bromance is ignored and how they made Ron look as if he is some kind of a retarded sidekick while Harry and Hermione are a male and female protagonists. Ron is my favourite character in the series and IMO his journey in the books was incredible and I don't feel like the movies did any justice with it.

From previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlight-Electr0 (View Post)
Hey doesn't Snape remind you of Cook? I mean they both claim to love their women, but act pretty selfish about it. They wouldn't care about hurting them as long as they get what they want. Cook didn't care about Effy's insecurities, all he cared about was screwing her. Not to mention that he disrespected her as well, like sleeping with her only real friend behind her back and insulting her because she didn't want to **** him. Snape on his part had a sick obsession with Lily to the point where he didn't care about her pain. All he wanted was for her to be alive nevermind her husband and her son being killed by Voldemort. I think both Cook/Effy and Snape/Lily have a lot of similarities. These are the only ones I can think of at the moment.
Oh my god, thank you! This is actually the thought I had in my mind when writing that post but I thought I was the only one who thinks so. Exactly. I guess Snape and Cook are one of those "poor" "misunderstood" abusive and posessive characters that suffered from some "epic" one sided love expressing it through treating a girl they claimed to "love" badly and not respecting her choices and emotions and of course always finding someone to blame, someone who is "taking everything from them" - like in Snape's case it was James and in Cook's case it was Freddie. Dear guys, do you even realize that those girls had reasons to choose those guys over you? Deal with it. And if you really loved them you would respect their decision. But no, Cook didn't respect Effy nor when he had an affair with her (example: slept with her only real friend behind her back) niether after they broke up (insulted and offended her and didn't even want to take care of her when she got sick) just like Snape didn't respect Lily and hanged out with future death eators at school and later didn't give a damn about her feelings and her husband & newborn baby being brutally murdered. Always me, me, me.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Master Fan

Freddie/ Effy
Matty/ Franky
Stefan/ Elena
Stefan/ Caroline
Nate/ Serena
Chuck/ Blair

Old 07-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Elite Fan

Bill Compton/Life I didn't care about him during first two books of the series, but I don't get it how he managed to get away with all his crap in the third one. It was nice to see Sookie becoming independent again and kind of realizing that she got so attracted to him because he was her first and all, but from what I know, on the show Sookie gives him a free pass for a lot and even in the book I wasn't satisfied by the fact that apart from BS break up Bill didn't get a punishment that he deserved. For how long is this guy going to get away with pure murder?!

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 07-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Elite Fan

JACK/GWEN
Harry/Ginny
Harry/Hermione
Sam/Freddie
Freddie/Effy

Worst pairings EVER. Go away now please.

GWEN COOPER/LIFE
Ginny Weasley/Life
Sam Puckett/Life

Horrible awful characters who need to gtfo now.

"Its about who you fall in love with."

John Paul McQueen & Craig Dean

Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Obsessed Fan

Tftnt!

+ =
Rory/Dean
Buffy/Riley
Cordelia/Angel
trudy/Bray
Moon/Bray
Siva/Lex

+ =
ebony/Bray
ebony/Jay
Zandra/Lex
post season 1 Amber/Bray
Kate/Jack
Brooke/Lucas
Peyton/Jake

+ =
trudy/Jay
Amber/Sasha
Izzie/George

Also:
Michelle/Tony
During 1.07 and 1.08 my urge to smack Tony appeared far less than in the previous episodes (probably because during 1.07 Michelle, Sid and even that random girl in the classroom were doing it for me and during 1.08 he was brutally but deservedly taught a lesson. and displayed his most genuinly likeable self so far), but these two are still one of the most obnoxious parings to have ever disgraced my screen. The level of manipulation, humiliation and emotional abuse here is just beyond sick. Even when he gets a grip a little he's still manipulating, scheming and destroying good things in her life so that she would go back to him. Nothing redeemable or healthy about that. After everything, he even had the courtesy to imply she's self-absorbed with that little "yes, this is all about you" line. I get that he was really worried about Effy in that moment, but he still doesn't get to take it out on Michelle in any shape or form. His previous behaviour made him loose any free passes.
Michelle/Sid
Only romantically. I love them as friends and think they are really good for each other in that way, but romantically they are just awkward and wrong. Thank god even Sid finally realised that.

Jane Austin characters/Jane Austin characters
I've hated those (fictional) people ever since my childhood. So much so that only ever managed to finish reading Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. Dropped everything else I tried because I was too annoyed with the characters to be able to go on reading about them. I pretty much hated everyone in P&P and S&S too, except Marianne. I used to see JA novels as guide books to successfully becoming a desperate housewife. Then at some point, I began to see them as a more serious brainwashing with the middle class ideology. Finally, with being forced to study some of them more open-mindedly in college, I came to appreciate the criticism and irony in them and even allow the possibility that her characters are not as calculated, emotionless, passionless creatures as I long considered them. But while I no longer judge them as harsh, I still can't help hating them. And since I hate them as individuals, I of course hate them in couples as well. Especially since JA's concept of "intelligent love" or whatever does not appeal to me at all. I still think her characters had to suffocate their personal desires, give supremacy to reason and conform to what the society expected of them so that they could survive in it and even if that was necessary and inevitable, that still makes their marriages repulsive.

ETA:
I forgot:
Effy's talkative friend/my screen
Julie or whatever her name is. That creature's voice is still ringing in my head. Real or fictional, people who can't seem to stop talking for one bloody second are not a funny type of annoying. They are a headache-inducing type of annoying.

Last edited by Slayerette89; 07-16-2011 at 08:43 AM
Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Addicted Fan

Blair Waldorf/Being a "victim".

Do the writers really think I'm gonna buy that crap they've been spewing for years that poor Blair Bear has such a hard knock life. Let's all feel bad for poor little Blair MarySue Waldorf.
(Or wannabe MarySue, since she's such an evil whore! )

I love Dair and Blouis, but I don't think she deserves them. They're too good for her. I mean, come on! She cheated on Louis with Chuck while poor Louis was waiting for her!
She made him look like a fool, and that's just wrong.
Of course, she pretty much does that to every guy at one point or another.

I'm rooting for her & Dan, but if they don't happen, and she still has a chance at ending up with Chuck: she can DIAF! Even Chuck deserves better then her (and I'm not at all saying this because Chenny are my OTP), since I'm pretty sure she's the one who made him .

Adding to that:

Chuck/Blair.

Blair/Life.

Blair/My Screen.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
TFTNT!

I don't think it would bother me as much if it wasn't hyped up so much in the movies and used as a way to shove Ron to the side. I have a friend who had only seen the movies and honestly thought it was going to be H/Hr until she read the books. And then they seem to forget that Harry picked Ron as the person he would miss the most; Ron is his best friend and while he also loves Hermione a lot, it's Ron, because when Hermione is your best friend you spend a lot of time in the library. The Harry/Hermione non-canon books moments that are forced on us in the movies will always be my main problem with them and it makes the books 100 times better, which is what JK Rowling wrote and what in my opinion in the truth of the story.

Snape/Lily: Sorry just no. I have a lot of issues with how Snape is romanticized. He was a jerk; to Harry and to a lot of other students as well. He only wanted to save Lily for his own selfish reasons with not a thought about her son or husband. We have no evidence that Lily was ever in love with him, it was one sided. Snape picked his side when he started hanging out with Death Eaters and called Lily a mudblood. The only reason he left Voldemort was because of Lily, not because he thought what he was doing was wrong. Lily on the other hand works for the Order fighting all he stood for. I just can't back up this couple in the slightest, nor Snape in general being shown only for the choices he made in the end because he loved Lily.
Ria
Old 07-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Effy's talkative friend/my screen
Julie or whatever her name is. That creature's voice is still ringing in my head. Real or fictional, people who can't seem to stop talking for one bloody second are not a funny type of annoying. They are a headache-inducing type of annoying.
You mean Pandora? The first time she was introduced as a character I hated her with a passion of a thousand suns. I was like "Please, shut the **** up" to my screen, and I failed to understand why Effy was friends with her.

Quote:
Oh my god, thank you! This is actually the thought I had in my mind when writing that post but I thought I was the only one who thinks so. Exactly. I guess Snape and Cook are one of those "poor" "misunderstood" abusive and posessive characters that suffered from some "epic" one sided love expressing it through treating a girl they claimed to "love" badly and not respecting her choices and emotions and of course always finding someone to blame, someone who is "taking everything from them" - like in Snape's case it was James and in Cook's case it was Freddie. Dear guys, do you even realize that those girls had reasons to choose those guys over you? Deal with it. And if you really loved them you would respect their decision. But no, Cook didn't respect Effy nor when he had an affair with her (example: slept with her only real friend behind her back) niether after they broke up (insulted and offended her and didn't even want to take care of her when she got sick) just like Snape didn't respect Lily and hanged out with future death eators at school and later didn't give a damn about her feelings and her husband & newborn baby being brutally murdered. Always me, me, me.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Cook and Snape screw up big time, but like to blame other peope for the **** they're faced with. Like when Snape willingly joined the dark arts, an ideology that very much clashes with Lily's being a muggle born. In Cook's case, he disrespected her several times throughout the whole 3rd season by sleeping with Pandora, by insulting her 'cause she didn't wanna have sex with him, and by humiliating her in front of their friends by mentionning what he did with her best friend. Yet, theese two still wonder why Effy and Lily fell for other guys. Umm, Cook didn't it cross your mind that Freddie might've treated Effy better? all you did was treat her like crap, then whine because your best friend took "everything away" from you. And Snape the guy you used to call a jerk turned out to be more mature than you ever were. He actually grew past the bullying at 16/17, and turned out to be more of a hero than you ever were by protecting his wife and son from the darkest wiazard of all times. All you did was whine because Lily didn't love you back, didn't give a damn about her feelings as long as she stayed alive, once her and James died you spent years and years of bullying teenagers as a grown man, and never got over your sick obsession with Lily.

Cook and Snape had the potential to be interesting characters, but they were both ruined because of the love of a woman. I mean, I'm very sentitive to unrequited love, but there were some things that just didn't sit right with their "loves" for Effy and Lily respectively.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread