Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by delenalove (View Post)
Surprisingly, a book that isn't supernatural-related as I usually read. It's called "Songbird" by Josephine Cox (a British author). The book is badly written, (which I thought was shocking when the author got a place in Cambridge university in her youth) abrupt in parts, it was cliched, the main happy ending romance gave SE a run for their money, and the actual theme in the book that interested me- the protagonist and her son- was ruined because the protagonist's "friend" kidnapped him because she had grown attached to him and the book ended with the protagonist thinking it was okay that this supposed friend had raised her child as if it was hers just because she saw that she had bonded with her son. It annoys me more that her supposed friend is the reason she went mad and nearly got killed because of her obsession with a child that she was trusted to look after while the protagonist was in danger. The book had so much potential, I'm just so disappointed.

And I can't believe I get so emotional over a fictional book. But I've not got so mad at a book since I read the last book in the Vampire Academy series.

And sorry if you didn't understand any of that, my language gets all weird when I'm annoyed lmao.
Oh holy jesus The plot sounds... weird No, I think the idea itself is quite good + I'm so tired of supernatural stuff that I'd give something like that a try, but if it is not well written and the plot isn't handled well I think such book might really make you mad and want to throw it in the corner

And as to Vampire Academy, I seriously tried to give it a chance, but I cannot STAND Rose Hathaway I don't know but this chick annoys me to no end Also I wouldn't say that the whole modern vampire thing is for me especially when it is not written well and even though VA series are better than Twilight, Richelle Mead's style is not really my cup of tea. The plot is quite intriguing though, but once again, I cannot get into it because I can't stand the protagonist

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Master Fan

Will and Elizabeth
Will Turner/Life
Grissom and Sara
Catherine Willows/Life
Ted and Robin
Ted and Zoey
Barney and Nora
Wen and Sydney
Old 07-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)
Oh holy jesus The plot sounds... weird No, I think the idea itself is quite good + I'm so tired of supernatural stuff that I'd give something like that a try, but if it is not well written and the plot isn't handled well I think such book might really make you mad and want to throw it in the corner

And as to Vampire Academy, I seriously tried to give it a chance, but I cannot STAND Rose Hathaway I don't know but this chick annoys me to no end Also I wouldn't say that the whole modern vampire thing is for me especially when it is not written well and even though VA series are better than Twilight, Richelle Mead's style is not really my cup of tea. The plot is quite intriguing though, but once again, I cannot get into it because I can't stand the protagonist
The story is in two time frames: the late 1970s and later 1990s. The actual plot is about a really great singer who's in love with a very dangerous man. It starts in the present, in 1996 in which the protagonist is obviously mad, a loner and a hermit. Then it goes to the past, 1978 where all her problems started and when she was in love with this dangerous man, Steve. However, she soon realises he's no good after like 2 second And then it's about her running away with a girl she just met because the dangerous guy wants to kill her because he get's arrested and blames her (she kept trying to get him back because she wanted to be a family with him and their unborn child). She and her friend, Ellen, go to stay with Ellen's grandad in Blackpool where she has the baby. But then she sees one of the guys that work for her ex-love and realises she and her baby on in danger. She leaves her baby with Ellen so he's not in danger and then goes to a new location and meets a guy who she falls in love with. She realises then that she does think it's safe now and asks Ellen to meet her with her son so she can have him back. Ellen is already bonded with the baby though (the baby is seven months old at this point) and agrees to meet her at a certain date, but then packs up at her grandad's house, makes sure she is untraceable and flees with the baby. Before she does this she makes sure the dangerous guy is aware of Maddy's (the protagonist) location- this leads to guys kidnapping Maddy but when she's in the car she manages to escape and ends up badly hurt in a ditch. The guys leave her because they think she is dead and then later someone finds her there and takes her to a hospital. She physically damanaged, and when she's released the nurse that helped her there get's her a job at the hospital and a place to stay. Then we read her in her accomodation in which she's obviously gone mad.
Then it goes back to the present, the students in the next flat hear her fall, we find out that the guy that was there with his girlfriend is actually the son of Brad, the guy Maddy fell in love with all those years ago and Brad makes up with her in the hospital. They then go to the Isle of Wight where Ellen took Maddy's son, and see that there is an obvious bond between Ellen and Michael (the son). Seeing it, Maddy writes Ellen a letter saying she was going to get Michael back but isn't going to because of the bond between them. Then she flees, with seventeen year old Michael with psycho mum. But oh, it doesn't matter because Ellen devoted her life to Michael because she didn't want to fall in love and Maddy has Brad.
The end.

I'm actually different. I love Vampire Academy and thought Rose was a strong heroine, however I Could. Not. Stand. Her. in Last Sacrifice. I won't say more because even if you hate it, I don't want to spoil it for you if you are still reading it.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The story is in two time frames: the late 1970s and later 1990s. The actual plot is about a really great singer who's in love with a very dangerous man. It starts in the present, in 1996 in which the protagonist is obviously mad, a loner and a hermit. Then it goes to the past, 1978 where all her problems started and when she was in love with this dangerous man, Steve. However, she soon realises he's no good after like 2 second And then it's about her running away with a girl she just met because the dangerous guy wants to kill her because he get's arrested and blames her (she kept trying to get him back because she wanted to be a family with him and their unborn child). She and her friend, Ellen, go to stay with Ellen's grandad in Blackpool where she has the baby. But then she sees one of the guys that work for her ex-love and realises she and her baby on in danger. She leaves her baby with Ellen so he's not in danger and then goes to a new location and meets a guy who she falls in love with. She realises then that she does think it's safe now and asks Ellen to meet her with her son so she can have him back. Ellen is already bonded with the baby though (the baby is seven months old at this point) and agrees to meet her at a certain date, but then packs up at her grandad's house, makes sure she is untraceable and flees with the baby. Before she does this she makes sure the dangerous guy is aware of Maddy's (the protagonist) location- this leads to guys kidnapping Maddy but when she's in the car she manages to escape and ends up badly hurt in a ditch. The guys leave her because they think she is dead and then later someone finds her there and takes her to a hospital. She physically damanaged, and when she's released the nurse that helped her there get's her a job at the hospital and a place to stay. Then we read her in her accomodation in which she's obviously gone mad.
Then it goes back to the present, the students in the next flat hear her fall, we find out that the guy that was there with his girlfriend is actually the son of Brad, the guy Maddy fell in love with all those years ago and Brad makes up with her in the hospital. They then go to the Isle of Wight where Ellen took Maddy's son, and see that there is an obvious bond between Ellen and Michael (the son). Seeing it, Maddy writes Ellen a letter saying she was going to get Michael back but isn't going to because of the bond between them. Then she flees, with seventeen year old Michael with psycho mum. But oh, it doesn't matter because Ellen devoted her life to Michael because she didn't want to fall in love and Maddy has Brad.
The end.

I'm actually different. I love Vampire Academy and thought Rose was a strong heroine, however I Could. Not. Stand. Her. in Last Sacrifice. I won't say more because even if you hate it, I don't want to spoil it for you if you are still reading it.
Wow, thanks for sharing it all The plot sounds quite interesting, but the ending doesn't make much sense If I read this book I'd feel cheated after finishing it, because the ending makes the whole thing kinda pointless. I wonder if this book is well known or a bestseller? I'll look up the author, did she ever write any other books?

And I don't think I'll be able to hate Rose even more than I do already Idk why, but she is just too rude and Mary Sue-ish and I can't stand her, though I think if she was handled a bit better I'd be ready to like her. I liked Dimitriy, but I cannot even picture him falling for her ever (I know the romance between them will eventually happen). And not liking the main protagonist and the main couple isn't really a good sign

Old 07-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Extreme Fan

Pink Floyd title!

Harry/Ginny

So, I was listening to the audiobook of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, and was struck by the first meeting of Harry and Ginny (not that the actually spoke, they just saw each other, but of course that would become a trend). Ginny was famestruck, gawked at him "like an animal in a zoo", and fangirled over him, while Harry barely registered her existence. I was struck with their amazing journey, looking at how far they'd come since then... oh, no wait, no I wasn't. Because nothing actually changed between then and the end of the series. Ginny was still admitting that she was attracted to Harry because he was a big famous hero, and Harry was still barely registering her existence, despite reportedly being in love with her. Fastforward 19 years, and they're married with kids and everything is still exactly the same. How did such a travesty of a relationship happen? Seriously, how or when did this all come about? Was there a whole load of build-up and foreshadowing that nobody told me about?

Last edited by The_Void; 07-09-2011 at 12:55 PM
Old 07-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)
Wow, thanks for sharing it all The plot sounds quite interesting, but the ending doesn't make much sense If I read this book I'd feel cheated after finishing it, because the ending makes the whole thing kinda pointless. I wonder if this book is well known or a bestseller? I'll look up the author, did she ever write any other books?

And I don't think I'll be able to hate Rose even more than I do already Idk why, but she is just too rude and Mary Sue-ish and I can't stand her, though I think if she was handled a bit better I'd be ready to like her. I liked Dimitriy, but I cannot even picture him falling for her ever (I know the romance between them will eventually happen). And not liking the main protagonist and the main couple isn't really a good sign
Yeah the ending annoyed me. I would have been more than happy if the author had added 100 more pages just so I could see it properly resolved. It was a long book (500 pages though the writing was pretty big) and not exactly the most interesting book ever, but I could have lived with it being a bit longer. It's sad because the book had so much potential, but the themes such as mental illness and abduction was treated appallingly. I can't see how just because Ellen bonded with Michael makes it okay with what she did to Maddy It says it's a bestseller on the cover, though I think it has more to do with the fact that the author has wrote a lot of books, a lot which have been really good apparently. (But from what I've read in reviews, her books these days aren't very good quality, this book an example).

If you hate her now, you will be wanting her death and throwing the book at a wall after Last Sacrifice. And honestly, Dimitri lost some of my respect in that book too.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Air
Elite Fan

Harry Potter/Me having not read the books sooo....
Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Yeah the ending annoyed me. I would have been more than happy if the author had added 100 more pages just so I could see it properly resolved. It was a long book (500 pages though the writing was pretty big) and not exactly the most interesting book ever, but I could have lived with it being a bit longer. It's sad because the book had so much potential, but the themes such as mental illness and abduction was treated appallingly. I can't see how just because Ellen bonded with Michael makes it okay with what she did to Maddy It says it's a bestseller on the cover, though I think it has more to do with the fact that the author has wrote a lot of books, a lot which have been really good apparently. (But from what I've read in reviews, her books these days aren't very good quality, this book an example).

If you hate her now, you will be wanting her death and throwing the book at a wall after Last Sacrifice. And honestly, Dimitri lost some of my respect in that book too.
I could never get why writers dedicate pages and pages (or seasons and seasons) to tell some story and then don't even give it a proper ending, instead coming up with something rushed and nonsensical. This is probably my most hated concept on tv and in literature and yeah, the ending that you described doesn't make much sense, more than that,m it makes the whole story kind of pointless

And what if I say that I already kinda sorta want her dead? I tried to like her, but when she is being rude on every page and tells how when she was younger she used to throw books at teachers and they all reached the target or something alone the lines I honestly wanted to smack her with something for being such a Mary Sue Dimitriy seemed quite boring to me, but at least he has a personality and I just cannot picture him hooking up with an immature and bitchy girl like Rose I'm ready to give series a try though.

Quote:
"like an animal in a zoo"
Oh, Merlin, I even forgot about the epicness of the first Harry/Ginny meeting Ginny's reaction on him reminded me of myself playing Tomb Rider: when Lara finds something interesting, she says: "Aha!" and Ginny's reaction was pretty much similar. She saw something interesting, someone interesting - and for some reason not only spent 6 years without getting over him, but also proudly admitted to love him because of his fame. And Harry? Well, how could he choose Ginny earlier when he had so many pretty girls around and was more busy drooling over them and then later how could he choose Ginny over sandwich when he seemed so hungry?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Dedicated Fan

Finn/Rachel
Finn/Quinn
Finn/Anyone
Gail/Chris
Dov/Edith
Andy/Sam
Jo/Luke
Sam/Mercedes
Kurt/Blaine
Eli/Clare
Old 07-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Addicted Fan

BLAIR WALDORF/MY SCREEN!

CHAIR/MY SCREEN!

A CHAIR BABY/EVER HAPPENING!

JaSam/MY SCREEN!

A JaSam BABY/EVER HAPPENING!

Old 07-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Passionate Fan

Couples that are boring/wrong for each other/weird or a combination:

Gwen/Arthur
Harry/Ginny
Wesley/Fred
Wesley/Lilah
Freddie/Effy
Buffy/Spike
Chuck/Blair
Jack/Kate
Sawyer/Juliet
Jack/Juliet
Boone/Shannon
Sid/Michelle
Tony/Michelle
Finn/Rachel
Puck/Rachel
Finn/Quinn
Old 07-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Gwen/Arthur
Harry/Ginny
Wesley/Fred
Wesley/Lilah
Buffy/Spike
Chuck/Blair
Jack/Kate
Sawyer/Juliet
Jack/Juliet
Boone/Shannon
Whoa, to build on that freakishly-similar-to-my-own list:

Damon/Elena
Stefan/Elena
Damon/Katherine
Stefan/Katherine
Damon/Bonnie
Damon/Caroline
Damon/Andie
Bonnie/Luka
Bonnie/Jeremy
Jeremy/Vicki
Stefan/Caroline
Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AIR~ (View Post)
Harry Potter/Me having not read the books sooo....
Same here! Yay, I'm so glad I'm not alone here
Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Elite Fan

My full and complete hate list:

Harry/Ginny
Harry/Ginny again
Harry/Hermione
Jack/Kate
Sawyer/Juliet
Shannon/Sayid
Riley/Buffy
Angel/Buffy
Angel/Nina
Wesley/Fred
Wesley/Any woman, man or vampire
Cook/Effy
Cook/Anyone
Thomas/Pandora
Thomas/Anyone
Bill/Sookie
Stefan/Elena

Old 07-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Master Fan

OTF's: Just wrong,wrong, wrong! on so many levels.
Lucas/Peyton selfish, imature, and bland love at it's best.

Clark/Lana- when the guy who's suppose to become one of earth's greatest heroes turns into a whiny, selfish, dumb, brat around the girl he supossely "loves" while said girl has very few rootable qualities and is so surprisingly annoying, that she makes you want to smash your head in everytime she's on screen, then something is seriously wrong with this couple.

Sawyer/Kate-when you use someone for sex while having feelings for someone else and allowing yourself to be used it's just not good.

Dylan/Kelly- Soulmates? while always fighting and putting you ex before your currrent girlfriend and said girlfriend falling in love with someone else while on a break equals the perfect romance.

Just:

"Hey."
"Hey yourself....".
Leticia||icon by me||(x)||(ღ)
Closed Thread   Post New Thread