Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Obsessed Fan

At that point, even though spike loved her at that moment; didn't owe anything to her imo. If he wanted to he could have just told Glory that Dawn was the key and be done with it. But no he didn't, because he truly did care for both Buffy and Dawn for that matter . He knew how much it would've hurt her if Glory found out
Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Elite Fan

Exactly And if he had died during the torture Buffy wouldn't even have known about his sacrifice so it was not about impressing her. He genuinly cared about Dawn and he didn't want Buffy to be in pain. He knew it would have killed Buffy inside if something had happened to Dawn. And then in the end of the season Spike was the only one who promised to protect Dawn till the end

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 08-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Obsessed Fan

And he did, he kept that promise.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Master Fan

Jorah/Dany
Robb/Anyone willing to get him naked
Old 08-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartBtVS (View Post)
And he did, he kept that promise.
He took care of Dawn while Buffy was dead It was not to win Buffy's heart anymore. He just honored the memory of a woman he loved and he really cared about Dawn too.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Aww the Spike and Dawn friendship was So sweet.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 08-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Air
Elite Fan

Quote:
Buffy wanted the fire back and Spike gave to her.
Exactly! I didn't even get the full circle of that until I saw that gif. By the end of season 7 she was complete, she got the fire back from Spike and they ignited their hands together.

Love love love love.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I always thought of that.

Like how he sang that he wanted her to go on living. So one us is living.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Extreme Fan

Ooh, Torchwood talk!

Endlessblaze, have you been watching the new series of Torchwood? IMO, it's been pretty good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)
Same here, I saw one episode of Torchwood with James and was pretty impressed by him playing a totally different character. There was also a very heartbreaking scene between two other characters, I think they where Owen and Tosh but I might be mistaking.
That sounds about right, Owen/Tosh are amazing after all.

Owen/Toshiko
Jack/Ianto
Gwen/Rhys

Torchwood is decent, but IMO Doctor Who is better, and you should probably watch that first to get background on Jack's character. In fact, every here should watch it anyway, because it's amazing.

Amy/Rory
Doctor/Rose
Doctor/River
Doctor/Tardis
Doctor/Life
Doctor/Master
Doctor/Donna
friendship
Doctor/Amy friendship
Nine/Rose/Jack
Ten/Rose/Mickey
Eleven/Amy/Rory
Rory Williams/Life
Donna Noble/Life
Mickey Smith/Life
Captain Jack Harkness/Life

This show/Being amazing
Doctor Who/Being back on in 6 days
Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air (View Post)
Exactly! I didn't even get the full circle of that until I saw that gif. By the end of season 7 she was complete, she got the fire back from Spike and they ignited their hands together.

Love love love love.
I always thought this is how it was meant to be. She wanted the fire back and Spike gave it to her. Their relationship wasn;t the easiest nor was this couple easy to ship, but in the end it was all worse it because they made each other strong, they sticked to each other through everything and they became everything to each other

Aww, Spike/Dawn where one of my favourite relationships on the show. So funny and touching

Quote:
That sounds about right, Owen/Tosh are amazing after all.
From what I saw they seem too damn close to being my type of ship and it's pretty scary because I know they have a triagic ending. But that's how almost all of my ships end anyway
Quote:
Torchwood is decent, but IMO Doctor Who is better, and you should probably watch that first to get background on Jack's character. In fact, every here should watch it anyway, because it's amazing.
I'm not quite sure that DH is my jenre but I heared so much about it that I might give it a try one day when I'm down with other shows I have to see.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Obsessed Fan

Catherine/Heathcliff
I avoid gushing about them, because I feel like I'm committing a horrible crime against a literary masterpiece like Wuthering Heights if I put the emphasis on the love story from it, when there are far more important things to be emphasised and talked about regarding the book. But at the same time, I love gushing about them. Out of all the fictional romances I've ever came across, theirs is by far my favourte (in fact, it's one of the only two fictional romances that I love completely from start to finish, just as they are, with no desire their respective writers did anything different).

They were two individuals living in a (racist, sexist, classist) culture that prescribed them roles that went deeply against who they were and how they wanted to live their lives. I'm not always fond of characters with such transgressive natures. Sometimes I feel they merely indulge their selfish desires and go against boundaries that are there for a reason. In such cases I don't like to blame the big bad society and justify and glorify them for their harmful behaviour. But with Cathy and Heathcliff, I can't help but feel the injustice they suffered them with them. Catherine got judged for refusing to be a well-behaved, submissive Victorian lady from her very childhood when she proved already too spirited and strong-minded to be easily tamed into what the society expects her to be. Heathcliff, with being poor and of different skin colour, was in an even worse position than she was. In his childhood he got mistreated and abused for no reason, with nearly everybody around him acting as if he deserved it. Both were outcasts and completely powerless and yet they manged to find empowerment in their relationship with each other and joy in their profound understanding of each other.. But with growing up came the time for them to assume their social roles and those did not allow their relationship to continue. She tried and failed to conform, ending up bringing complete destruction upon herself (and the process was heartbreaking to read about). He took a less sympathetic road of revenge and getting those who wronged him back with their own weapons. A lot of innocent people got injured along the way, and I can't justify his behaviour. But I also can't not feel for him a little even in his worst phases.

I do think there is something self-destructive and dangerous about their complete identification with each other and their desire to unite in a way that goes even beyond romantic and sexual union. But I also think the imperialistic society which couldn't possibly accept that an English lady could identify (and thus be the same as, rather than superior to) a dark-skinned boy (much like those who needed to be "civilized" as part of "the white men's burden" in colonies) contributed to their union being made impossible and pushed them to seek it in a somewhat morbid fashion (in death). And despite everything, I think the kind of connection they shared is the most beautiful and intense that two people can. It must be scary to actually allow one person to have such a power over you that they are the sole thing that makes the universe make sense and feel like home to you, but at the same time it's love in its strongest form.

I fell in love with them when I first read the book around the age of ten. Really, really fell in love with them. The rush and intensity of emotions I felt for them is nothing like anything I ever felt for any other couple or characters (and I am someone who gets way too invested in fiction in general). Now, more than a decade later, I still feel for them with just the same (or even bigger) intensity.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I fell in love with them when I first read the book around the age of ten.
I loved the whole post but this I wanted to highlight because first and foremost it is so impressive that at such a young age you where able to understand such a complecated story and feel for these characters and their relationship and also, even though I haven't read this particular novel, I feel similar way about other novel, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo that I read for the first time when I was 10 and I remember I had so many emotions towards it even though at that age of course I couldn't understand everything. I just remember how strongly I felt for those characters and then when I re-read it as a teenager and later as an adult I only felt it stronger. I guess there will always be such strories in our lives that touch us so deeply.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I loved the whole post but this I wanted to highlight because first and foremost it is so impressive that at such a young age you where able to understand such a complecated story and feel for these characters and their relationship and also, even though I haven't read this particular novel, I feel similar way about other novel, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo that I read for the first time when I was 10 and I remember I had so many emotions towards it even though at that age of course I couldn't understand everything. I just remember how strongly I felt for those characters and then when I re-read it as a teenager and later as an adult I only felt it stronger. I guess there will always be such strories in our lives that touch us so deeply.
Thanks When I first read WH I felt the same way about it as you did with The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (btw, one of the books I was unfortunately too lazy to get round to reading so far, but that is on my reading list) - I only got the story on the surface. I did not really try to rationalize anything about it (nor would I know how to), but the full emotional response was there. And what is great with those stories that touch us so deeply is that even after we get older and more prone to analyzing and rationalizing everything (which we sometimes might do in the murder-to-disect manner), those original emotions we felt for them remain untouched.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
Thanks When I first read WH I felt the same way about it as you did with The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (btw, one of the books I was unfortunately too lazy to get round to reading so far, but that is on my reading list) - I only got the story on the surface. I did not really try to rationalize anything about it (nor would I know how to), but the full emotional response was there. And what is great with those stories that touch us so deeply is that even after we get older and more prone to analyzing and rationalizing everything (which we sometimes might do in the murder-to-disect manner), those original emotions we felt for them remain untouched.
YW And ITA on everything, but especially the bolded part. When you are so young you don't rationalize or analize everything you read, watch or see. You feel everything on a level of emotions and impressions. And this feeling is either there or not there, you are either touched by something or not. And such strories just manage to get this emotional response from us despite us not yet being able to fully undersrand them. And then years later when you become more mature and come back to those stories of course you understand them better and descover a lot of new things, but those feelings are still the same, they are still strong and deep.

And good luck with your reading list, I actually have it too, but I don't know when I'll be able to get into reading it all. Wuthering Heights are definitelly one of the books I want to read because from what I heared about it + your posts I think it is very much worth reading And I hugely recommend you The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, this novel seemed amazing to me and none of the on-screen versions of it nor other adaptations could even come close to the original story that is told by Hugo in the book IMO.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
YW And ITA on everything, but especially the bolded part. When you are so young you don't rationalize or analize everything you read, watch or see. You feel everything on a level of emotions and impressions. And this feeling is either there or not there, you are either touched by something or not. And such strories just manage to get this emotional response from us despite us not yet being able to fully undersrand them. And then years later when you become more mature and come back to those stories of course you understand them better and descover a lot of new things, but those feelings are still the same, they are still strong and deep.
This exactly. I sometimes miss that spontaneous approach that I think many of us loose with growing up. That ability to just respond to things without having hundreds of inner dialogues with yourself by which you try to make sense of them. But with somethings, even all the explaining and rationalization doesn't mange to overweight the power of the emotional response and that is a truly beautiful feeling.

Quote:
And good luck with your reading list, I actually have it too, but I don't know when I'll be able to get into reading it all. Wuthering Heights are definitelly one of the books I want to read because from what I heared about it + your posts I think it is very much worth reading And I hugely recommend you The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, this novel seemed amazing to me and none of the on-screen versions of it nor other adaptations could even come close to the original story that is told by Hugo in the book IMO.
Thanks and likewise . And again, I feel that way about WH too - the screen interpretations just fail to capture the story.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread