Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Fan

I also love Capra. It's awesome that you're related to him, Audrey. I think my favourite Capra movie is It's a Wonderful Life. I love that movie.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Master Fan

Have all of you seen any great classical movies during the holidays?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Master Fan

Hello all! I am admittedly a lurker, because I'm always on here seeing which movies you guys are looking at...I looooove old movies, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

Tonight I had a classic movie night kick and rented Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Casablanca. I've already seen Casablanca (looove it. Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman are magic), but not COAHTR so it'll be a treat. Paul Newman.

So I really want to see more awesome old movies but I always get kind of befuddled and confused when I go to the classics section of my movie rental store. There are SO many good ones. Does anyone have any recommendations, or any old movies they really like?
i got stuck on the side you know i never chose
but it's all about taking the easy way out for you i suppose
*Shannon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:41 AM
Master Fan

Notorious! Love it. Well, I love a lot of things Hitchcock, and Notorious is simply wonderful.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Maxi*
I watched It's a Wonderful Life again.

My library has a lot of Hitchcock movies. I'm thinking of going there today.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Notorious! Love it. Well, I love a lot of things Hitchcock, and Notorious is simply wonderful.
Funnily enough I watched this one last night and you're right it is wonderful My favourite bit -

Ingrid: "Say it again it keeps me awake"
Cary - "I love you"

Awwwwww

Actually spotted the Hitchcock cameo for the first time too which I was chuffed about
Old 12-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Dedicated Fan

i could recommend a million! Cat on A Hot Tin Roof is one of my favorites, how did you like it? Paul Newman was very drool worthy in it too. I love movies like: It Happened One Night, Psycho, The Apartment, Sunset Bulevard, Since You Went Away, Notorious, Penny Serenade, Imitation Of Life (the original), any Fred and Ginger movie, The Hustler, The Sting, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, The Big Sleep, The African Queen, Somebody Up There Likes Me, East of Eden, The Women, Libeled Lady, Red Dust, ect ect ect

My boyfriend is out of town so now is a good chance to catch up on my old movie watching. I have been watching the Thin Man series on Turner Classic Movies today and later tonight is a bunch of Sidney Potier movies I'd like to see. Especially the one with Tony Curtis.

I'm in a Jean Harlow mood right now. I might watch a couple of her movies I have on tape at some point.

I saw The Aviator. Some of you bigger Katherine fans may not agree since you all know her better but I thought Cate Blanchette did a wonderful job as Kate Hepburn. I've read reviews on IMDB.com and it's a debated topic. I thought the whole movie was rather good. It was easy for Gwen Stefani to be good as Harlow since she barely had to say anything.

:rose: Audrey :rose:
Old 12-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Realised that I forgot to answer this I reckon one of the best things about Christmas is having the time to sit down and do nothing but watch lots and lots of films. I just haven't seen enough this year. I still have the hugest stack of films sitting on my bedroom floor that I need to watch. Anyway I did end up watching The Bishop's Wife, To Catch a Thief, Notorious, White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, Swing Time and Christmas in Conneticut. Lots of favourites there

Am now hunting around on some secondhand book sites for Rosemary Clooney's auto (after watching White Christmas I realised that I still haven't bought it yet) and Mary Astor's two autos. Got a big MGM film book for Christmas and have completely become hooked on everyone again
Old 12-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Angeli_Dean
i could recommend a million! Cat on A Hot Tin Roof is one of my favorites, how did you like it? Paul Newman was very drool worthy in it too. I love movies like: It Happened One Night, Psycho, The Apartment, Sunset Bulevard, Since You Went Away, Notorious, Penny Serenade, Imitation Of Life (the original), any Fred and Ginger movie, The Hustler, The Sting, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, The Big Sleep, The African Queen, Somebody Up There Likes Me, East of Eden, The Women, Libeled Lady, Red Dust, ect ect ect
Thanks for all the recommendations!

I did like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Elizabeth Taylor is very elegant and lovely, she was really good. And Paul Newman, how delicious. Very good-looking guy. I like Tennessee Williams plays (A Streetcar Named Desire rocks so much), so I enjoyed it. Well-acted all around.

I don't think I've ever seen any Jean Harlow movies, but I want to. Unfortunately, our movie rental store is somewhat lacking. I even asked them for Notorious and they didn't have it.

I also re-watched Casablanca....gahhhh that movie gets me every time. "Here's looking at you, kid..."
Old 12-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Shannon*
And Paul Newman, how delicious. Very good-looking guy.
Paul Newman is one of my favourite actors. He's not only good looking but he's also a good actor.
I just remebered that it was not long ago that I watched an Hitchcock movie with Paul Newman: Torn Curtain. I didn't like the movie so much. But I didn like Paul Newman in it.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:29 PM
Master Fan

Hrm, I haven't seen Torn Curtain! But I do like Hitchcock and Paul Newman, and actually, I'm doing my thesis on Alfred Hitchcock and his style, so I should check it out.

So I'm thinking next time I drop by the movie store I'm renting The Misfits...
Old 12-30-2004, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Fan

I love The Misfits.
Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift and Clark Gable. I love all of them. And I love the story. And I love Thelma Ritter's character. There's so much to love about that movie.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Dedicated Fan

Old 12-31-2004, 10:53 PM
Master Fan

Yayyy!

I'm a little more than halfway through The Misfits, and it's pretty good! Marilyn Monroe is gorgeous.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Master Fan

Happy New Year Everyone

Wow, that picture of Paul Newman is gorgeous!!!