Thread 1: Classic Hollywood Couples - Dream Teams Of The Black And White Screen
Thread 2: Classic Hollywood Couples #2 - Black And White Magic
Thread 3: Classic Hollywood Couples #3 - Love And Romance At Its Best
Thread 4: Classic Hollywood Couples #4 - Beautiful People, Beautiful Movies
Thread 5: Classic Hollywood Couples #5 - Reel Love On The Silver Screen
Thread 6: Classic Hollywood Couples #6 - The Golden Age Of Romance
Thread 7: Classic Hollywood Couples #7 - Addicted To The Classic Love
Thread 8: Classic Hollywood Couples #8 - They Don't Make Them Like This Anymore
Thread 9: Classic Hollywood Couples #9 - Blurring The Line Between Reality And Magic
Thread 10: Classic Hollywood Couples #10 - It Could Only Be In Black & White
Thread 11: Classic Hollywood Couples #11 - Amazing, Addictive, And Ageless
Thread 12: Classic Hollywood Couples #12 - A Pantheon Of Screen Gods and Goddesses
Thread 13: Classic Hollywood Couples #13 - The Best And The Brightest
Thread 14: Classic Hollywood Couples #14 - Dazzling Couples In Dazzling Black And White
Thread 15: Classic Hollywood Couples #15 - Tragedy, Comedy, And Above All, Love
Thread 16: Classic Hollywood Couples #16 - You Can't Improve On Perfection
Thread 17: Classic Hollywood Couples #17 - It All Started With Kate
Thread 18: Classic Hollywood Couples #18 - Christmas Is Coming, My Classics Are Ready...

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Favourite Links [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

-Classic Films: Modern Times
-All Purpose Classic Movie Sites
-Reel Classics
-Classic Movie Scripts
-Internet Movie Database

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Meet the gang [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

Name/Screenname: Alex/-Alex-
Favourite classic movie: The Thin Man
Favourite musical: Singin' In The Rain, On The Town
Favourite classic couple: Myrna Loy/William Powell, Cary Grant/Kate Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart/Lauren Bacall
Favourite actor: Cary Grant
Favourite actress: Myrna Loy
Favourite kiss: Kate and Jimmy in 'The Philadelphia Story', and Joel and Jean in TMTM
Favourite quote: "You don't have to do anything and you don’t have to say anything. Oh, maybe just whistle. You do know how to whistle, don't you Steve? You just put your lips together and blow." - Slim, 'To Have And Have Not'
Favourite picture:

Name/Screenname: Shawne/gaityr
Favourite classic movie: Bringing Up Baby
Favourite musical: Singin’ In The Rain
Favourite classic couple: Cary Grant/Katharine Hepburn
Favourite actor: Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart
Favourite actress: Katharine Hepburn, Myrna Loy
Favourite kiss: Kate and Jimmy in 'The Philadelphia Story'
Favourite quote: "There is a leopard on your roof and it's my leopard and I have to get it and to get it I have to sing!" - Bringing Up Baby
Favourite picture:

Name/Screenname: Meg/NutMeg82
Favourite classic movie: Casablanca
Favourite musical: Singin' in the Rain
Favourite actor: Gene Kelly
Favourite actress: Ingrid Bergman
Favourite kiss: Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck in 'Spellbound'
Fave Couple: Cary and Kate
Favourite quote: "Here's looking at you, kid."

Favourite picture:

Name/Screenname: Sal/Profaine Angel
Favourite classic movie: Ball Of Fire
Favourite musical: Singin' In The Rain
Favourite classic couple: Dick Powell & Ruby Keeler
Favourite actress: Phyllis Calvert, Barbara Stanwyck
Favourite kiss: Joel McCrea and Jean Arthur in 'The More The Merrier'
Favourite quote: "This is the Voice of Doom calling. Your days are numbered, to the seventh son of the seventh son!" - The Philadelphia Story
Favourite picture:

Name/Screenname: Star/Star5
Favourite classic movie: North By Northwest
Favourite musical: Seven Brides For Seven Brothers/Singin' In The Rain
Favourite classic couple: Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr, Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers
Favourite actor: Cary Grant, Robert Taylor
Favourite actress: Barbara Stanwyck, Myrna Loy, Ginger Rogers
Favourite kiss: Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint in 'North By Northwest'
Favourite quote: "We'll throw the book at 'em. Kidnapping. Assault with gun...and bourbon...and sports car. We'll get 'em.." - North By Northwest
Favourite picture:

Name/Screenname: Anne/StellaSlight
Favourite classic movie: Notorious
Favourite musical: Singin' in the rain
Favourite classic couple: Cary Grant/Ingrid Bergman in 'Notorious', Claudette/Clark in 'It happened one night'
Favourite actor: Cary Grant, James Stewart, Gene Kelly
Favourite actress: Ingrid Bergman
Favourite kiss : Cary/Ingrid in Notorious
Favourite quote: Don Lockwood: Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)
Favourite picture:

Name/Screenname: Pix, Kitty
Favorite classic movie: East of Eden
Favorite classic couple: Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn
Favorite actor: James Dean
Favorite actress: Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn
Favorite quote: "You know what's wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You're chicken, you've got no guts. You're afraid to stick out your chin and say, "Okay, life's a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to eachother, because that's the only chance anybody's got for real happiness." You call yourself a free spirit, a "wild thing," and you're terrified somebody's gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you're already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it's not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It's wherever you go. Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself." -- Paul Varjak, Breakfast at Tiffany's

Name/Screenname: Bella/Bella Lumina
Favourite classic movie: Roman Holiday, Laura, and Notorious
Favourite classic couple: Cary Grant/Ingrid Bergman and Audrey Hepburn/Gregory Peck
Favourite actor: Cary Grant, Gregory Peck
Favourite actress: Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly
Favourite kiss: Audrey and Gregory's goodbye kiss in Roman Holiday
Favourite quote: "I've never been alone with a man before, even with my dress on. With my dress off, it's most unusual!" -- Audrey in Roman Holiday
Favourite picture:

Name/Screenname: Nsuck/tx_rosaddict
Favourite classic movie: The Thin Man series, The Quiet Man, The Philadelphia Story
Favourite musical: Singin’ In The Rain, Meet Me In St. Louis, White Christmas
Favourite classic couple: William Powell/Myrna Loy, John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara, Cary Grant/Rosalind Russell, Gene Kelly/Judy Garland
Favourite actor: Jimmy Stewart, Bing Crosby, William Powell, Gene Kelly
Favourite actress: Maureen O'Hara, Rosalind Russell, Judy Garland
Favourite kiss: Bing Crosby/Rosemary Clooney & Danny Kaye/Vera-Ellen in White Christmas
Favourite quote: "When I figure out what you just said, I'll come up with a crushing reply." Bob Wallace 'White Christmas'

Name/Screenname: Monica/MonSTAR
Favourite classic movie: The Philadelphia Story
Favourite classic couple: Cary Grant/Katharine Hepburn
Favourite actress: Katharine Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Vivien Leigh
Favourite kiss: Kate & Jimmy in 'The Philadelphia Story'; Ingrid & Cary in 'Notorious'
Favourite quote: "How dare he make love to me and not be a married man!" - 'Indiscreet'
Favourite picture:

Name/Screenname: Elisabeth/WackyBuffy
Favourite classic movie: All About Eve, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Breakfast at Tiffany's
Favourite musical: Singin’ In The Rain & Taming of the Shrew
Favourite classic couple: Audrey Hepburn/Gregory Peck , Elizabeth Taylor/Paul Newman
Favourite actor: Paul Newman
Favourite actress: Audrey Hepburn
Favourite kiss: The Holly/Paul kiss in Breakfast at Tiffany's at the end in the rain
Favourite quote: "I'm not living with you. We occupy the same cage, that's all. You know, that's the first time you've raised your voice in a long time. Crack in the stone wall? I think that's a
fine sign. Mighty fine."
- Maggie, ‘Cat on a Hot Tin Roof'
Favourite picture:

Name/Screenname: Mallory/angelfallon
Favourite classic movie: A Place In The Sun, It Happened One Night, Splendor In the Grass, Rebel Without A Cause, A Streetcar Named Desire
Favourite musical: Singin? In The Rain & West Side Story
Favourite classic couple: James Dean/Pier Angeli,
Favourite actor: James Dean or Marlon Brando
Favourite actress: Natalie Wood
Favourite kiss: Liz/Monty kiss while they are dancing in A Place In the Sun
Favourite quote: "Eek! Officer Krupke, you've done it again. This boy don't need a job, he needs a year in the pen. It ain't just a question of misunderstood; Deep down inside him, he's no good!" - 'West Side Story'
Favourite picture:

Name/Screenname: Samantha/Maliejandra
Favourite classic movie: My Best Girl, Tess of the Storm Country, Grand Hotel, Gone With the Wind, ect. ect.
Favourite musical: Ziegfeld Girl
Favourite classic couple: Mary Pickford/Buddy Rogers, Jean Harlow/Clark Gable
Favourite actor: Charlie Chaplin (although I love many others)
Favourite actress: Mary Pickford
Favourite kiss: Mary Pickford and Lloyd Hughes in Tess of the Storm Country, Mary Astor and Clark Gable in Red Dust, Jean Harlow and Franchot Tone in Suzy, and Katherine Hepburn and James Stewart in The Philidelphia Story

Name/Screenname: Anabela/Vitalogy
Favourite classic movie: "Gone with the Wind"
Favourite musical: "Singin' in the rain"
Favourite classic couple: Clark Gable/Vivien Leigh in "Gone With the Wind"
Favourite actor: Cary Grant, Clark Gable, James Stewart
Favourite actress: Marlene Dietrich, Audrey Hepburn
Favourite kiss: Gable/Leigh in Gone with the Wind
Favourite quote: "Tomorrow is another day": Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind"

Name/Screenname: Shannon/MissShannon
Favourite classic movie: The Philadelphia Story
Favourite musical: Stephen Sondheim's Assassins, though if we're choosing from movie musicals I guess I'd have to say The Wizard of Oz
Favourite classic couple: Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn
Favourite actress: Katherine Hepburn
Favourite quote: "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." C.S. Lewis

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img]The Birthday List [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

January 8 - Sal
February 2 - Anne
May 25 - Star
June 20 - Shawne
July 6 - Meg
August 31 - Alex

Old thread can be found here

==

OK, have I royally screwed that up? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] *fingers crossed* Sorry about the crap title too [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

People! Pictures! (I know, that includes myself [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

Have edited the pics in. Thanks Anne [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-30-2004: Message edited Profaine Angel ]
Old 03-29-2004, 12:10 AM
Obsessed Fan

i LOVE the title, actually. [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] fits the timing i think. a lot of us haven't been posting as much as we'd like, but the love is still there.....as is m sappiness [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

and yes, i gotta go get a linkable picture for ya.

i FINALLY watched something classic today. totally screwed my day as far as homework's concerned, but the pain of that won't fall on me until tomorrow.

ok, so Mr. Deeds Goes to Town came on and i really enjoyed it!! i prefer the plotline of this movie over Meet John Doe, although they're so easily confused, lol. the main thing i'd miss from MJD is Barbara...kinda wish she could have been brought over into MDGTT. and i just can't help the swooning when gary comes on screen all tall and blue eyed. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] just a sweet little movie and, i think, a better turn for gary's career in playing the every man. he never really fit the seducing lover role to me. definitely a more 'aw shucks' kinda guy.

and then Field of Dreams came on and it struck me how similar kevin costner's acting is to gary's, although i was never really a fan of costner's. but this movie is so good, it bops him up a notch. i hadn't watched it all the way through in years, and it was like rediscovering it. i was glad my sis watched it with me because she always tossed it off as just another baseball movie. makes me cry just about every time. i also remember watching it when i was young and had no idea who burt lancaster was...but even then i knew he was someone from a different era and that it was special for him to be in this movie. i remember loving his small part as a child because he's so comforting and his stories is one of my faves. i love his little joke of having to get back or his wife will think he's gotten himself a girlfriend. i just wanted him to be my grandfather or something.
this a prince song. the lyrics don't make much sense, but then again, neither does prince, does he? little man, symbol man, little ass, lots of women. he's like an elf - a sex elf, making fudgy sex cookies.

Matt Nathanson
Old 03-29-2004, 04:33 AM
Ultimate Fan

Hi [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

Thanks Sal for opening the new thread. I also like the title. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town: it has been forever since I watched Meet John Doe, so I can't really compare both movies. I remeber I loved both.
I liked Gary Cooper a lot in them and I'm not a big Cooper fan. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Field of Dreams: I love that movie. It's so moving...
I don't rememeber Burt Lancaster in it, though. My memory sucks.

Last saturday, I watched The Scarlett Letter, with Lillian Gish and I loved it. It was so beautiful and sad. The 3 movies I watched last week turned me into a Gish fan. Really, she's so beautiful. I just adore her now.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Obsessed Fan

Great start to the new thread Sal. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I love the title too and I see we've got our new banner [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

I haven't seen Mr Deeds Goes to Town yet Meg, but I do own that one on video and I am finally catching up a bit with my enormous pile of unwatched stuff so maybe I'll be able to fit it in soon. I did watch something new yesterday too - The Shadow of the Thin Man. Who here has seen it? Not my favourite of the six but Nick and Nora were still on fine form [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Btw Anne, that's Sydney and Vaughn in my new av. So loving the new series of Alias at the moment.

Off to find a new picture!

[ 03-29-2004: Message edited Star5 ]
Old 03-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Fan

I have never watched The Shadow of the Thin Man.

Last saturday, I also watched Seven Chances, by Buster Keaton. It was one of the few Buster Keaton movies that I still haven't watched. I liked it, but it didn't impress me much since I already knew the best gag: the rocks chasing Buster.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Obsessed Fan

I decided I had to have a shot of Barbara for my picture. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But I couldn't decide which [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I've gone for this one in the end because I love the chemistry between Barbara and Gary Cooper in Ball of Fire, although it was a toss up between this and a gorgeous shot of early Barbara.

Old 03-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Obsessed Fan

can't find the nice ingrid pic that shawne, i think, touched up. this will do for now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-29-2004: Message edited NutMeg82 ]
this a prince song. the lyrics don't make much sense, but then again, neither does prince, does he? little man, symbol man, little ass, lots of women. he's like an elf - a sex elf, making fudgy sex cookies.

Matt Nathanson
Old 03-30-2004, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Fan

That Ingrid pic is adorable. She looks so happy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Master Fan

Sal thanks alot for starting the thread! And the title is adorable [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Here's are Meg and Star's pictures that I have manipulated and reduced so you can put them in their introduction. The thread starting post will look really nice now [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

Star silly me, I haven't recognized them! I love Syd and Vaugh and that scene in particular. So sweet...
Old 04-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Addicted Fan

I found some OTT icons whilst browsing around friends of friends of friends (etc) on livejournal [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

OK, you guys are gonna squeal. The Thin Man face scrunch!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited Profaine Angel ]
Old 04-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Obsessed Fan

omgthosearesocute!!!!! LOVE the OTT one, but boy would I love one of Gene kissing the door frame cuz I'm a weirdo like that. [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]
And TTM face scrunch!!! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] That's just too dang adorable for words. Tell your friend of a long line friends that we love them!

i am confined indoors today while i try and get as much typography done. there is some work for it that allows me to be away from the computer so maybe there will be something good on TCM. at least it's rainy outside so i don't feel like i'm missing out. i wouldn't even have to look outside to check, once my dog comes running in and squeezes himself under my desk, chair, and legs...i know what the weather's like. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Matt Nathanson
Old 04-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

Oh those are adorable!!! [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img] I love it that we get to see Myrna's perfect scrunch [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And William Powell looks hilarious [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I've finished work now for a week so I hope to have more time to watch a few things over the next few days. Including Easter Parade which I'm going to dig out because Easter is next weekend [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Yay, easter eggs!! I'm also going to make sure I've got plenty of blank tapes handy because The Dick Van Dyke Show starts Monday [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Wow, we need some bumping here [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

OK I actually watched a few films last weekend as well...On The Beach which I wouldn't really recommend, it was good but a bit long and drawn out. What kept me interested was that it was filmed here and so I was all "I just walked down that road 15 minutes ago!!" and so on [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thoroughly Modern Millie which I loved, new favourite [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Some Fred & Ginger in Follow The Fleet which I also adored!!! Sweethearts which I thought could have been better, The Song Of Bernadette which was gorgeous [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn which I'd been wanting to see for ages, I loved Joan Blondell in it especially [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And that was it, now I probably won't see anything for another two months [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
I'm also going to make sure I've got plenty of blank tapes handy because The Dick Van Dyke Show starts Monday
Yay!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Are they starting from the beginning do you know?

[ 04-08-2004: Message edited Profaine Angel ]
Old 04-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Master Fan

OOooooh I've been neglecting this thread! Thanks for bumping it, Sal [img]smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Actually the last classic movie that I watched was My Man Godfrey, which I bought on DVD for 4€ !!! That's surprisingly cheap and I can't believe I had the chance to get it at that prize, while most of the classics are awfully expensive. I've also bought To Be or Not To Be for the same prize. [img]smilies/wiggle.gif[/img]

As for My Man Godfrey, I loved William Powell in it! I love the man more and more, but of course I've only seen in in the Thin Man series and this one, which are supposed to be his best movies. Anyway, he was great as the butler of a crazy family! I wasn't crazy about Carole Lombard in that one because she was totally hysteric (I liked her better in TBONTB, and still she's not my favourite leading lady), but I guess it's her role. But her romance with Powell's character is badly handled I thought : until the very last moment I didn't get the slightest hint that Godfrey was in love with her so the 'happy ending' was kinda forced on me.

Sal those icons are gorgeous!!! Powell has some of the most hilarious faces ever!

I'm spending some days at my parent's because of spring break and I'm kinda excited because they have TCM and other classic channels [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Anne
Old 04-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Obsessed Fan

This is the first time I've been able to get on the computer in about a week. We've had people staying with us and unfortunately the PC is in our spare room, so I've not been able to use it. Back now though! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I haven't actually watched any of the episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show yet, although I have about 7 on tape already! As far as I know they're showing them from the beginning which I'm glad about because I hate it when they show random episodes from different seasons. What would be really great would be if they eventually released the dvds over here too. I would buy them in a flash [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Sweethearts which I thought could have been better
I actually watched my very first Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy film this morning - Naughty Marietta. I loved it [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img] I think they were wonderful together and I like Jeanette more and more with each film I see her in. I'm going to be on the hunt for more now. Which would you recommend next - Maytime? I've seen A Tree Grows in Brooklyn too. That's a good film!

I watched Libelled Lady last night. I'm not sure who here has seen it. Absolutely fantastic [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img] My favourite bit has got to be when William Powell's trying to fish and gets dragged downstream by the king trout, which he eventually ends up catching and impressing them all. And when he's walking gingerly in the river and suddenly gets submerged straight under [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]

I bought My Man Godfrey on dvd recently too Anne. I've seen it before but I'm looking forward to watching it brand spanking new [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I also went out to this really great bookshop earlier and got some stuff. Frances Farmer's autobiography, a book about Joyce Grenfell, one called The Warner Brothers Story ( a bit like The MGM Story) and The Films of Gene Kelly, which I've been looking for for ages and ages.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter for tomorrow [img]smilies/hug.gif[/img]

[ 04-10-2004: Message edited Star5 ]