Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Loyal Fan

Well, it's ten minutes away. As I just said on Twitter (I'll be live tweeting tonight for the first time in a very long time, after sitting out the last few episodes out of boredom), I don't even care if they're officially together by the end or not -- I just want to see some movement.

And some good, quality writing wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Eyes (View Post)
I definately think that the ball is in Jack's court he's the one that has to make a move. After rejecting her and moving on although they made friends again it was never discussed. So it's down to him to tell her that he lied.
I agree. I just worry the writers won't go there.

The promo's inclusion of the 301 kiss stuff makes me a little hopeful that they will, though.

Spoiler:
Old 03-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

How was the ep?
Old 03-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Loyal Fan

Well, that was disappointing on pretty much every level, starting with the long scene of Emily/Ben cuddling in bed together.

We barely got any jealous Jack, which I found disappointing.

Jack's confession to Emily was fine at times, but some of it felt underwhelming and I can't quite figure out why. Not all of the dialogue was as strong as it could have been.

And then, of course, we get to watch Emily reject him for no real reason other than "I can't." Capped off by Jack announcing that he won't wait forever (which seemed like the strangest reaction to me -- like, Jack, I don't think she wants you to).

I don't know. To me, it lacked the emotional punch of the 4th of July scenes, or the S1 finale, or the S3 premiere, and Emily not having any kind of reason for rejecting him was just so, so weak.

When will I learn to stop setting my expectations so high?

Edited to say: I guess there was one positive in Jack manipulating Margaux.

Last edited by northboundtrain; 03-08-2015 at 08:24 PM
Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Extreme Fan

What a let down, but that is not unusual with this show. I just don't feel anything from EVC. I think NW does all the heavy lifting. I felt that with her other pairings too (co-stars doing the heavy lifting). She just comes across as cold. Maybe she does that on purpose.

Although I do think she has a weakness, her loyalty to Jack and Nolan.

Last edited by azzro; 03-08-2015 at 09:30 PM
Old 03-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Passionate Fan

Tonight was definitely bittersweet, but I saw Emily's rejection more of a way to protect herself from any of those weak spots like she was referring to with Margeux. At least that's what I'm choosing to believe.
For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest. Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.” -Jamie Fraser
Lyns
Old 03-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsgurl310 (View Post)
Tonight was definitely bittersweet, but I saw Emily's rejection more of a way to protect herself from any of those weak spots like she was referring to with Margeux. At least that's what I'm choosing to believe.
That's what I took from it as well.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain (View Post)
Well, that was disappointing on pretty much every level, starting with the long scene of Emily/Ben cuddling in bed together.

We barely got any jealous Jack, which I found disappointing.

Jack's confession to Emily was fine at times, but some of it felt underwhelming and I can't quite figure out why. Not all of the dialogue was as strong as it could have been.

And then, of course, we get to watch Emily reject him for no real reason other than "I can't." Capped off by Jack announcing that he won't wait forever (which seemed like the strangest reaction to me -- like, Jack, I don't think she wants you to).

I don't know. To me, it lacked the emotional punch of the 4th of July scenes, or the S1 finale, or the S3 premiere, and Emily not having any kind of reason for rejecting him was just so, so weak.

When will I learn to stop setting my expectations so high?

Edited to say: I guess there was one positive in Jack manipulating Margaux.
Pretty much agree. The bed scene with Ben and Emily was more than needed, and Jack's 'confession' wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as strong as it could have been. And yeah, they just skipped giving a good reason. Unless they do it next episode, but..

I liked the scene Jack had with Margaux, but then surprise.. Margaux ultimately doesn't care about hurting Jack and Carl in taking Emily down. So I liked that in the end Jack had been playing her. I'd wondered what happened earlier when Emily said she'd talk to Jack. (about seeing Margaux)

Hm, what else.. I at least liked Emily's dismissal of anything serious with Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsgurl310 (View Post)
Yeah, that's possible. And she knows Margaux has revenge on her mind for Emily and is after her weak spot, so could also be to protect Jack? IDK.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kyls; 03-08-2015 at 11:11 PM
Old 03-09-2015, 12:04 AM
New Fan

WTF Revenge writers I don't know why they have to drag this out some more.
It sure looks like they won't get together until literally the last episode.

Oh btw since it's no longer a spoiler I think it's safe to say the sloppy sex on the white board was between Emily and Ben and post sex it was Emily saying to Jack that they can't be together. It's frustrating the both Emily and Jack have slept with just about everyone except each other.

I understand why the ratings have dropped I only really watch for Jack and Emily, but I don't blame others who quit the show with all the plots and side characters that seem to go nowhere. I will still watch to the end just to see what happens to all the characters but I'm just not that excited about it anymore.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:26 AM
Absolute Fan

So not the reaction I was hoping for from Emily. But why am I surprised? Stupid writers
I'm in love and always will be
Old 03-09-2015, 03:33 AM
Loyal Fan

Ugh where to begin ok opening scene was awful did we really need that ****

I loved all the moments with David, and Jack remembering their childhood but they need to show that Jack wants Emily for who she is now not just the little girl on the beach otherwise the haters won't shut up.

I also loved getting Carl in on the trickery so cute and kinda funny

As for his confession 'I CAN'T' what sort of ****** response is that?

Now I'm not overly surprised I would have been more shocked if they had actually got together but a bit like you guys this was such a big moment and I feel a bit let down however it obviously isn't THE moment. Just the beginning of the build up to THE moment at least I hope so.

I felt like there were several indicators in her responses that may explain her rejection;
annoyance: you're only telling me now because of Ben!,
surprise: 'I don't know what to say' *I thought you didn't feel this way about me anymore
fear/need to protect: 'I can't, I'm sorry' Margaux is still after me and if we get together you will be in the firing line plus if we get together I will be Amanda my true self and I need to keep up the Emily Thorne persona while there are still threats hanging about.

The lack of emotional punch I think definately came from her not having a good enough reason all the other times you mentioned Northbound there was one; her revenge, Fauxmanda, Jack's anger. Like we knew how desperately they wanted to be together but there was something huge in the way, where as this time there is practically nothing and she's like 'um, sorry' it kinda was like what that's it? Added to the fact that since the beginning of S3 we hadn't had sufficient build up unlike in S1.

However the only thing I will be cool with as an excuse is that like you guys have said it's to protect Jack. That weak spot Margaux mentioned must have some purpose and I can't help but think it was directly related to Emily's rejection it was too conveniently placed in the episode to not have some relevance, it would also tie in with Jack going to court as it sounds like he's the one in trouble.

Overall it's just contrived nonsense to drag it out with what 8 episodes left I don't think they were gonna give it to us that soon otherwise what would they have left to tease us with. I just hope we get to see them together for a bit before it inevitably ends. I'm hoping now we will eventually get a big confession from Emily confessing how she really feels and I tell you what it better be good!

Also it will be interesting to see what they are like around each other now she knows how he feels will it be super awkward, will they avoid each other (not that they really can what with everything that's going on) I hope this weighs heavily on Em's and we see her struggling with it. I just want to give Jack a hug he deserves some friggin' happiness! He was really excellent in that moment so raw, honest and beautiful there was actually one point after she walked away from him that I thought she was just gonna turn around and kiss him for all her life's worth but maybe we have that to look forward to I sincerely hope so!

Last edited by Wolf Eyes; 03-09-2015 at 03:42 AM
Old 03-09-2015, 06:51 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I loved all the moments with David, and Jack remembering their childhood but they need to show that Jack wants Emily for who she is now not just the little girl on the beach otherwise the haters won't shut up.
I know what you mean, but.. it's a fact that Amanda and Jack knew each other as kids and were close. It's always going to be something that's a part of their relationship.
But in what Jack was saying to her in this episode - "It's always been you.. from the moment that Sammy ran up to you that day." aka 1.01, or at least I assume so. And that's when Jack had no idea who she really was. But he fell for her anyway. So what makes him falling for Amanda, as Emily, any different than any person falling for any other person? I don't see how people invalidate it that way.

Quote:
I also loved getting Carl in on the trickery so cute and kinda funny
Hehe yes, but I had hoped we'd get a scene of Emily and Carl.

Quote:
Now I'm not overly surprised I would have been more shocked if they had actually got together but a bit like you guys this was such a big moment and I feel a bit let down however it obviously isn't THE moment. Just the beginning of the build up to THE moment at least I hope so.
Yep, it's just kicking it off. Maybe we'll really feel it when we see Emily return his feelings. I'm still hoping for a July 4th under the fireworks type deal for a callback to 1x06 (I think?) but this show never gives us what we want lately.

Quote:
The lack of emotional punch I think definately came from her not having a good enough reason all the other times you mentioned Northbound there was one; her revenge, Fauxmanda, Jack's anger. Like we knew how desperately they wanted to be together but there was something huge in the way, where as this time there is practically nothing and she's like 'um, sorry' it kinda was like what that's it? Added to the fact that since the beginning of S3 we hadn't had sufficient build up unlike in S1.
Agreed.

Quote:
Also it will be interesting to see what they are like around each other now she knows how he feels will it be super awkward, will they avoid each other (not that they really can what with everything that's going on) I hope this weighs heavily on Em's and we see her struggling with it. I just want to give Jack a hug he deserves some friggin' happiness! He was really excellent in that moment so raw, honest and beautiful there was actually one point after she walked away from him that I thought she was just gonna turn around and kiss him for all her life's worth but maybe we have that to look forward to I sincerely hope so!
Spoiler:
Old 03-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Loyal Fan

I agree with you guys that she's probably pushing Jack away because of her conversation with Margaux earlier. I guess my issue is that she (the writing) didn't even bother to have her manufacture an excuse for Jack (even if it was a lie), or even have Jack question her. It was just "I can't" and then "Well, I'm not waiting forever," which, again, felt like such a bizarre response to me.

At the very least, she should have reminded him that he shut her down in 301 and that while she'll always care about him, she has since moved on. That would have destroyed Jack, but if we're really going for an "Emily is trying to protect Jack from Maragux" plot point, then that would have been a good reason for her to give him to make him leave.

I remarked in the old thread that I thought it was weird that they wouldn't give a big Jemily episode to TS, and instead gave it to Shannon Goss (who has barely written anything for them before), but now I guess we know the answer -- in spite of the promotion, Jack and Emily barely interacted, and the big moment only came at the end.

I hesitate to even throw this idea out there, but maybe TS's next (last one ever?) episode will be more Jemily-centric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyls (View Post)
I liked the scene Jack had with Margaux, but then surprise.. Margaux ultimately doesn't care about hurting Jack and Carl in taking Emily down. So I liked that in the end Jack had been playing her. I'd wondered what happened earlier when Emily said she'd talk to Jack. (about seeing Margaux)
Yeah, I liked that in the end Jack and Margaux were both playing each other, but that Jack was just better at playing her than she was at playing him.

Quote:
Hm, what else.. I at least liked Emily's dismissal of anything serious with Ben.
Yeah, he's clearly there as a bed-warmer and nothing more.

Quote:
I agree with Kyls that I think Jack's line about it always being Emily since the moment Sammy ran up to her was supposed to be a nod to the fact that Jack's speaking of his adult love for Emily, the full woman, versus his childhood love for little Amanda.

Quote:
I felt like there were several indicators in her responses that may explain her rejection;
annoyance: you're only telling me now because of Ben!,
surprise: 'I don't know what to say' *I thought you didn't feel this way about me anymore
fear/need to protect: 'I can't, I'm sorry' Margaux is still after me and if we get together you will be in the firing line plus if we get together I will be Amanda my true self and I need to keep up the Emily Thorne persona while there are still threats hanging about.
I'd be nice if 416 could touch on some of that a little more explicitly. There are layers there the writing should play...even if the ultimate reason is that she wants to protect him from Margaux, I would think that there might also be some insecurity on Emily's part -- that she's scared and having a hard time processing the idea of finally getting a happily ever after she's wanted for so long.

Quote:
Also it will be interesting to see what they are like around each other now she knows how he feels will it be super awkward, will they avoid each other (not that they really can what with everything that's going on) I hope this weighs heavily on Em's and we see her struggling with it.
Yeah, I'm curious about how Jack will play it -- bitter? Angry? Resentful? Or will he just try to treat her like a friend?

Maybe NOW we'll finally get Emily talking to either Nolan or David about her feelings for Jack.

Spoiler:
Old 03-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Loyal Fan

Yeah I think it's just the flashback seems to reiterate their childhood connection and also I got confused as I didn't know if he was referring to when they were kids or when she came back in S1 but you're right I think he was referring to ep1.

I did find it kinda funny how easily she dismissed Ben like 'because of HIM' like ugh he's not all that!

What I really hope is we see Emily struggling with what she said and maybe talking to David or Nolan about it to confirm to the audience it was out of fear/need to protect just to make it more clear. The problem is it was a typical Emily reaction pushing him away with no explanation if she done the whole 'you shut me down I moved on' I think she would have felt that was too cruel. I definately think her being afraid to fully embrace Amanda is also a part of it.

I think this is a really nice review of the episode and situation they are in https://www.rickey.org/revenge-bring...-recap/277469/

Spoiler:
Old 03-10-2015, 12:47 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain (View Post)
I agree with you guys that she's probably pushing Jack away because of her conversation with Margaux earlier. I guess my issue is that she (the writing) didn't even bother to have her manufacture an excuse for Jack (even if it was a lie), or even have Jack question her. It was just "I can't" and then "Well, I'm not waiting forever," which, again, felt like such a bizarre response to me.
Yeah, it was strange.

Quote:
At the very least, she should have reminded him that he shut her down in 301 and that while she'll always care about him, she has since moved on. That would have destroyed Jack, but if we're really going for an "Emily is trying to protect Jack from Maragux" plot point, then that would have been a good reason for her to give him to make him leave.
There definitely should have been a mention of Jack's rejection in 3x01.

Quote:
I hesitate to even throw this idea out there, but maybe TS's next (last one ever?) episode will be more Jemily-centric.
So that would be 4x19, I think. What we know about that episode is [sp]that it's title 'Burn' and TS said on twitter 'Things indeed get hot & everything changes again'

Quote:
I'd be nice if 416 could touch on some of that a little more explicitly. There are layers there the writing should play...even if the ultimate reason is that she wants to protect him from Margaux, I would think that there might also be some insecurity on Emily's part -- that she's scared and having a hard time processing the idea of finally getting a happily ever after she's wanted for so long

Hopefully we do get them touching on these things.

Spoiler:
Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 AM
Loyal Fan

Someone actually said on another board that Jack saying 'I'm not going to wait around' may have been because he knew Emily wasn't being honest with him like the other time this has happened (July 4th) but he can't put up with anymore of her BS.

To Jack I would like her to bring up his rejection but maybe use it as a front to him when really it's because it's to protect him.

Spoiler:

I saw on Twitter someone asked James Tupper how much does he want Emily and Jack together he replied 'as a fan so much, as her father even more' So cute

Also found this article ‘Revenge': Jack Loves Emily — 5 Reasons Why They’re Endgame - Hollywood Life
I love it especially reasons 1& 5. I hope they are right and Emily will have a proclaimation even more epic!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread