Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2018, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I remember that S5 episode where Riley confides in Xander that he knows he isn't loved by Buffy, and the scene begins with Xander letting slip about his long-time attraction to her

Also, it linked back to Xander being the constant observer of the group and having these secrets which could make or break the group. He was by far the most relatable and interesting character, most of the time.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I definitely find him the most relatable, he is the human one after all - which, oddly, is what I think a lot of people don't like about him

& that scene with Riley is really very clever, so nuanced & important
Old 03-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I think people disliked Xander because they envied his ability to be honest, even at the cost of his friendships sometimes. He was honest about the Bangel relationship and made it clear that he never trusted their relationship after S2. I really can't blame him and I give him kudos for being brave enough to keep reinforcing his lack of trust in Buffy at that point.

Riley's friendship with Xander was oddly touching. I wasn't a huge Riley fan (especially in terms of the relationship with Buffy, they were so wrong for each other) but his tender side came out in those sad scenes where he could only tell Xander his pain about that.

...Oh, wait. He told Spike, too.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I love that scene with Riley & Spike too! There was an odd understanding between the two of them, they were both able to perfectly tell what the other felt...getting a bit off topic though

I think that a lot of bangel fans dislike Xander because he pointed out the problems in that relationship too. Even though he was right about a lot of the things he said
Old 03-14-2018, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

They always claim that Xander was a complete jerk for keeping it from Buffy that Willow was planning to restore Angel's soul

I have always maintained that he felt Buffy was doing the world a favor by killing Angelus, and that if she knew the truth about Willow's spell, it would distract her and she wouldn't be able to do such a thing to a guy who she still loves despite him losing his soul.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Yeah, I think they don't understand that layers to that decision, they put it all down to jealousy. The bottom line is, is that Buffy would be putting herself at much more risk fighting Angelus to stall a spell that, odds were, wouldn't work, then just fighting to kill
Old 03-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Exactly Okay I think he was partly jealous as usual (it's in his nature, he can't forget that Buffy chose Angel over him) BUT he also knows that Buffy's judgement can be very shaky when it comes to Angelus because she still "wants her boyfriend back."

I think he was right, and Xander was always being cruel to be kind when it came to the Bangel topic. It came across as insensitive but he always made good points.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I think the other thing people miss is - it's realistic! We've all had friends who are in relationships that you know are going to end badly, & we've all had moments where we've grown frustrated with them & pointed those problems out. I know I have & those situations were much less complicated than a slayer dating a vampire. I know the show kept itself light in those early seasons to a degree & there wasn't time for realistic behaviors & emotions most of the time, but, realistically, Willow & Giles would never have rooted for Buffy/Angel either & would have tried to help Buffy move on from day 1.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brathan&brucas (View Post)
Exactly Okay I think he was partly jealous as usual (it's in his nature, he can't forget that Buffy chose Angel over him) BUT he also knows that Buffy's judgement can be very shaky when it comes to Angelus because she still "wants her boyfriend back."

I think he was right, and Xander was always being cruel to be kind when it came to the Bangel topic. It came across as insensitive but he always made good points.
I agree.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Another gifset

indubitably, tosh
Old 03-15-2018, 05:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

Nice one.