Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Master Fan

Birds of a feather... or opposites attract?

Hey people.
I thought that it would be an interesting topic here. I've been faithful to the Couples thread from the beginning (the request of the creation of a Couples board) and I noticed from all the couples that were shipped and supported, that two 'tendencies' or 'kind' of couples could be extract : the couples where the two partners look like each other, have alot in common, have a peaceful but passionned relationship, and the couples that use to quarrel, share nothing in common, and whose relationship is like a ship during storm.

In a lot of case people like one kind or the other, and almost all the couples that they like are all alike.
Ex: those who liked Dawson/Joey (DC), liked Max/Liz in Roswell, Angel/Buffy in Buffy... and those who liked Pacey/Joey, liked Michael and Maria (Roswell) and Spike/Buffy...
Of course, those are only in most case, if it's not your case, and if you like Dawson/Joey and Michael/Maria, then it doesn't apply to you [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
It's just a tendency that I noticed.

I, personnally, prefer 'banter-couples', becaue I think it's much more interesting to have some differences in the couple and the banters spice up the relationship. That's why I loved Han Solo/Princess Leia in Star Wars, Eowyn/Faramir in LOTR, Anne/Gilbert in Anne of Green Gables. And that's also why, later, when I watched TV, I fell in love with couples like Pacey/Joey, Michael/Maria, Spike/Buffy. And my avatar shows Ron/Hermione in Harry Potter, whose banters are quite famous.

What do you guys think and where do you stand? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Total Fan

Nice thread [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I usually go for the banter-couples as well except for Pacey/Joey because I cannot stand them. But I'm sure there're also couples I like from the other kind. I agree with you when you say it's more interesting to have some differences, as a reader/viewer I like it better when things get a little bit spiced up, it's just less boring.
I've noticed that through the years, I'm more and more attracted to the banter-couples. I think it's just because I've changed a lot for the past two years. If someone had told me 4 years ago that I would love Buffy and Spike, I would have said they were insane but now... I'm just disgusted with myself for taking the slightest interest in Buffy/Angel lol. When I'm watching the first seasons of Buffy, the magic isn't there anymore.

Other banter-couples I love are Elisabeth/Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, Benedick/Beatrice from
Much Ado About Nothing, Kat/Pat in 10 Things I hate about you, Mouth/Stef in The Goonies and others.

I am a fool for distraction.
HornyCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Supreme Fan

Personally I liked Michael and Courtney. It's just too bad she was a skin because they were great together.

They bantered a lot in their scenes together and they generated a lot of heat between them in my opinion. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

LIZ: So when you healed me you risked all of this getting out didn't you?
MAX: Yea.
LIZ: Why??
MAX: It was you.
Icon: ?
~*Sonia E.*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Loyal Fan

I believe in the old opposites attract theory. I believe most other couples are boring after the first bloom wears off.
P/J
Randee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:26 AM
Loyal Fan

Well my favourite couple is Buffy and Angel, they always will be. But I absolutly love Pacey and Joey, I have since Modern Romance in season 1, I didn't mind Dawson and Joey in season 1 but I didn't like them after that, I just didn't see any sparks between them after that, just my opinion. Never got into the Buffy/Spike thing after season 6, I just couldn't after witnessing that season. Still love them as individuals though.

I do like some banter couples, it just depends on how they're written and portrayed once they're together.

Also Sydney/Vaughn, don't know whether they fit into the whole opposite attracts thing though, but they were certainly a star-crossed duo in season 1.

[ 07-05-2003: Message edited ~Holly~ ]
Old 07-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Sonia E.*~:
<STRONG>Personally I liked Michael and Courtney. It's just too bad she was a skin because they were great together.

They bantered a lot in their scenes together and they generated a lot of heat between them in my opinion. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Interesting, I never really considered their exchanges as bantering. It was more like some gross and obvious flirting. But I'm biased since I'm a Candy [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Holly - It's funny because I was about to ask where Syd and Vaughn would fit [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] They're not 'opposites' but their relationship is like a ship during storm [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

I am a fool for distraction.
HornyCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Master Fan

Interesting topic, Stella.

Generally speaking, I'm more often intrigued by the bantering couples - Anne/Gilbert (Anne of Green Gables) and Beatrice/Benedick (Much Ado About Nothing) are perfect examples that I adore. This kind of couples are enjoyable to read or watch because of the sparks of attraction and often excellent exchange of dialouge.

Of course there are exceptions, for example Michael/Maria (Roswell) never interested me that much. I can see why they appeal to people, but I'm not all that interested myself. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

A lot of times I am appealed several different shippings of a character, like the fact that I like *both* Buffy/Angel and Buffy/Spike pretty much equally. Same goes for my favourite character in Roswell, Isabel. I can ship her practically with everyone (except the conventional pairings including her).

But as I previously stated, if I have to choose - opposites attract/bantering is what appeals to me lots of times.

[ 07-05-2003: Message edited *Maxi* ]
Old 07-05-2003, 09:05 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by HornyCookie:
<STRONG>

Interesting, I never really considered their exchanges as bantering. It was more like some gross and obvious flirting. But I'm biased since I'm a Candy [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I never liked Michael/Maria together and I always thought of them as the B couple. To me their relationship was tacky, annoying, abusive, and dysfunctional and I got tired of them.

Now Michael/Courtney even with the flirting and Michael trying to kill her was more interesting to watch and never got boring. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

ETA: I also liked Pacey/Joey from Dawson's Creek and Lois/Clark from The New Adventures of Superman. Now, they were couples who bantered and it never got boring. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-05-2003: Message edited ~*Sonia E.*~ ]

LIZ: So when you healed me you risked all of this getting out didn't you?
MAX: Yea.
LIZ: Why??
MAX: It was you.
Icon: ?
~*Sonia E.*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:35 AM
Master Fan

I usually go to both, it depends on the couple and the interaction. I really like the birds of a feather, because they tend to understand one and other so well, and just makes sense. But I also like when opposites attracts, they are fun when they work. But I think that even in opposites attract there *just has to be* some common ground. Something that makes them connect and work, and doesn't leave you going WTF? If nothing then, well it doesn't make sense... to me. And banter too, it's great when it works.

If this makes any sense [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]meg
Old 07-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Master Fan

HornyCookie, I also love the couples that you mentioned : Beatrice/Benedick (Much Ado about Nothing), Elizabeth/Mr Darcy (Pride and Prejudice). Those are some of my favorite book couples.

I understand that most of the people tend more to one type or the other, but still can appreciate couples of the other type. I believe I'm the kind of person that wouldn't appreciate a couple from the other type. It's quite odd to only appreciate a couple on this criteria...
Old 07-05-2003, 12:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by HornyCookie:
<STRONG>
Holly - It's funny because I was about to ask where Syd and Vaughn would fit [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] They're not 'opposites' but their relationship is like a ship during storm [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Yeah, I know. I mean I don't think they fit into the 'opposites attract' catorgary, during season 1 they were more star crossed, but in season 2 less so, but their relationship has and looks likely to go through some tough times. So I'm not sure where they would fit, either. Maybe back in the star crossed catorgary.

I'm not sure which one I prefer, I like a bit of both really. Both appeal to me in different ways, I think the majority of times opposites attracts draw me to a couple, but Birds of a Feather type couples also appeal. I think I mostly go for couples who have obstacles in the way, that you know are going to have angst and heartbreak but hopefully in the end it will pay off.

[ 07-05-2003: Message edited ~Holly~ ]
Old 07-06-2003, 02:34 AM
Master Fan

Yep that's the case for me to. I'm always attracted o brooding, mysterious guys who have nothing in common with me, or maybe the hair color...
Old 07-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Master Fan

Well, it depends on the portrayal of the couple - sometimes I love bantering couples, like Michael/Maria, Kelso/Jackie, but then again I love Buffy/Angel. If I had to choose though, I usually go for the bantering couples. Their banter is amusing and you can tell that through bantering, they're showing their love and affection to each other. [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]

[ 07-06-2003: Message edited earthling47 ]
I love you.
balle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:20 PM
Master Fan

It's funny, I guess it depends on how people see the couple, cause I've always thought that the bantering couple in That 70's Show was Jackie and Hyde.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Elite Fan

I don't think that because they banter, they are opposites (or because they're opposites, they banter). I think bantering and being opposites are two different things.

[ 07-09-2003: Message edited Blairy the Fairy ]