Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Passionate Fan

Aragorn/Eowyn Appreciation Thread #1-More Than a Shadow and a Thought

Fearless Souls: The Aragorn/Eowyn Appreciation Thread

Welcome to the first shipper thread for the characters of Aragorn and Eowyn from The Lord of the Rings.If you were one of the many who thought that Eowyn would have been a far better choice than Arwen and that what Aragorn and Eowyn had together was far more than just "a shadow and a thought",you've come to the right place! Ship away!

Fearless Souls
1. House24Fan
2. x Tar x
3.~-Sarah-~
4. dixieland_dreamer
5. Buttermilk_Moon
6. Natih_Fate
7. chrissy1302
8. Azar443
9. KOUAT12

Why We Ship Aragorn and Eowyn
-To Be Added

The Soundtrack
1. Bittersweet by Within Temptation
2. Someday by Nickelback
3. If Walls Could Talk by Celine Dion
4. I Surrender by Celine Dion
5. Samson by Regina Spektor
6. Here with Me by Dido
7. Run by Snow Patrol
8. Wonderwall by Oasis
9. Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis

Vids
1.Bittersweet
2.Sweetest Downfall
3.Here with Me
4.Run
5.Bleeding Love

Links
Elfsheen:An Aragorn/Eowyn Site

-This thread is new and is still under construction obviously.If you want to be added to the shipper list you have something to add to the soundtrack,just ask.If you have some art or caps to add to the opener or some links to add to the links section,just PM me.
Lauren-Huddy Queen of Subtext//Visit the LOTR Campaign Thread

Last edited by House24Fan; 02-12-2013 at 11:12 AM
House24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:11 AM
Passionate Fan

I saw that there were several other Aragorn/Eowyn supporters on FF,and was aghast to find that we had no thread! We may not be "canon",but we deserve a thread! So I created one,and I hope all of my fellow A/E shippers will visit and share the A/E love!

Any suggestions for how to improve the opener would be much appreciated!
Post away!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Add me please

I remember when I read the books, I was so frustrated Aragorn ended up with Arwen, mainly because in the books she's barely there so when they get married in the end it's like "Uh, who's this lady again?" Aragorn and Eowyn had the best connection, and they were, officially, Tolkien's original plan, which is probably why they ended up having so many great moments together even though they weren't the end game. I love Eowyn with Faramir but nothing compares to the connection she had with Aragorn. And I'll always remember's Aragorn's quote (I think he was talking to Eomer) where he says Eowyn's love is a love that "cannot" be returned. I like it that he doesn't say it "isn't" returned, he says it can't be. Aragorn's promise to Arwen was obviously what stood in the way.

*sigh* I could go on and on about these two
Old 02-13-2008, 03:25 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Add me please
I've added you Tar! So nice to see you here!

Quote:
I remember when I read the books, I was so frustrated Aragorn ended up with Arwen, mainly because in the books she's barely there so when they get married in the end it's like "Uh, who's this lady again?" Aragorn and Eowyn had the best connection, and they were, officially, Tolkien's original plan, which is probably why they ended up having so many great moments together even though they weren't the end game. I love Eowyn with Faramir but nothing compares to the connection she had with Aragorn. And I'll always remember's Aragorn's quote (I think he was talking to Eomer) where he says Eowyn's love is a love that "cannot" be returned. I like it that he doesn't say it "isn't" returned, he says it can't be. Aragorn's promise to Arwen was obviously what stood in the way.

I actually haven't finished reading the books all the way through. I've read all of the A/E sections though as well as the A/A tale in the appendices.When I first saw the films,I was die-hard A/A.Then,I didn't watch the films for a year or so,and when I saw them again,it just hit me...Aragorn and Eowyn are SO much better than Aragorn and Arwen! He and Eowyn have this chemistry and this connection that he never has with Arwen in the films or the books(where she is a non-character for the most part).Eowyn was his equal and they had so much more in common.They seemed to be real friends and I think they could have(and to an extent WERE) real lovers.I love the quote you mentioned too! He didn't deny having feelings for Eowyn,he just said that he couldn't return them(because of his commitment to Arwen.)

Quote:
*sigh* I could go on and on about these two
So could I! That's why I created this thread! We can go on and on as much as we like!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by House24Fan (View Post)
I've added you Tar! So nice to see you here!
Thanks

I know a lot of people who liked A/A after seeing the films and then changed their minds after reading the books I hated what they did to Arwen in the films, it was just further proof that they had to totally hype up the character and the romance in order for it to make sense in the end. I worship Tolkien, don't get me wrong, but there was no way to get emotionally attached to Arwen enough to ship her with Aragorn. They had one moment in the first book, and then they get married in the end of the third one. I mean, seriously! If what Eowyn loved was just a "shadow and a thought", I wonder what Arwen loved, considering she didn't see Aragorn for decades.

There's a great Aragorn/Eowyn essay I read ages ago, I'm gonna find it to post here
Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
I know a lot of people who liked A/A after seeing the films and then changed their minds after reading the books I hated what they did to Arwen in the films, it was just further proof that they had to totally hype up the character and the romance in order for it to make sense in the end. I worship Tolkien, don't get me wrong, but there was no way to get emotionally attached to Arwen enough to ship her with Aragorn. They had one moment in the first book, and then they get married in the end of the third one. I mean, seriously! If what Eowyn loved was just a "shadow and a thought", I wonder what Arwen loved, considering she didn't see Aragorn for decades.

One of the things that always amuses me about the A/A thing is that some of it's supporters(not ALL,but some) go on and on about how Eowyn only loved a shadow and a thought,when Arwen is the one who REALLY seemed to have that problem.Think about it.She wouldn't marry Aragorn until he was king.Eowyn loved him long before she knew that was even a possbility! If you ask me,the one with the political aspirations was Arwen NOT Eowyn.

I'd love to see that essat if you can find it! I've read some fabulous essays on a site called elfsheen.net! It's pretty much the only A/E site I've ever found,but it's a great one! Think I should put the site into the links in the opener?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
One of the things that always amuses me about the A/A thing is that some of it's supporters(not ALL,but some) go on and on about how Eowyn only loved a shadow and a thought,when Arwen is the one who REALLY seemed to have that problem.Think about it.She wouldn't marry Aragorn until he was king.Eowyn loved him long before she knew that was even a possbility! If you ask me,the one with the political aspirations was Arwen NOT Eowyn.
Definitely.

Another thing I love about the possibility of Aragorn/Eowyn is that they're very alike, they'd be SUCH a kick ass couple They'd be a King and Queen that would go off together and fight together.

Quote:
I'd love to see that essat if you can find it! I've read some fabulous essays on a site called elfsheen.net! It's pretty much the only A/E site I've ever found,but it's a great one! Think I should put the site into the links in the opener?
Oh I know that site! I'm friends with the owner She used to have a Lord of the Rings fanfic/essay website, too, called Parma Eruseen (there was a forum too), but I think it's closed now You should definitely add Elfsheen to the opener though, I LOVE that site I have some stuff there, manips, under my old username "Tarhiliel"
Old 02-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Another thing I love about the possibility of Aragorn/Eowyn is that they're very alike, they'd be SUCH a kick ass couple They'd be a King and Queen that would go off together and fight together.
I adore that about A/E! They were both warriors with a deep pride in who they are.I also loved that they were so similar,and yet not so similar that they'd be boring together.Eowyn was a bit more impulsive and Aragorn a bit more of a planner.They complimented each other! What I also love about them is that they seem to have fun together! You never really saw him smiling or laughing with Arwen until ROTK,yet with Eowyn in TTT he seemed very relaxed and happy,and he even joked with her a bit.

Quote:
Oh I know that site! I'm friends with the owner She used to have a Lord of the Rings fanfic/essay website, too, called Parma Eruseen (there was a forum too), but I think it's closed now You should definitely add Elfsheen to the opener though, I LOVE that site I have some stuff there, manips, under my old username "Tarhiliel"
Awesome! I'm putting it in the links! I've seen your fanart! It's awesome! I joined the site recently and I'm loving the posts I've read on that forum.

Have any ideas for things to put in the OP? It needs a little more dressing.We could add reasons why we ship A/E? Some soundtrack suggestions would be cool too! You know how much I love shipper soundtracks!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
What I also love about them is that they seem to have fun together! You never really saw him smiling or laughing with Arwen until ROTK,yet with Eowyn in TTT he seemed very relaxed and happy,and he even joked with her a bit.
Definitely, their relationship was much lighter, even in the middle of all that chaos

Quote:
I've seen your fanart! It's awesome!
Thanks

I have a song to add to the soundtrack! I actually made a A/E video with it, I'll upload it to Youtube and post it here :

Bittersweet - Within Temptation
If I tell you
Will you listen?
Will you stay?
Will you be here forever?
Never go away?
Never thought things would change, hold me tight
Please don't say again that you have to go

A bitter thought
I had it all
But I just let it go
Hold your silence
It's so violence since you're gone

All my thoughts are with you forever
'Till the day we'll be back together
I will be waiting for you

If I had told you
You would've listened
You had stayed
You would be here forever
Never went away

It would never have been all the same
All our time what have been in vain
Cause you had to go

The sweetest thought
Had it all
Cause I did let you go
All our moments keep me warm
When you're gone

All my thoughts are with you forever
'Till the day we'll be back together
I will be waiting for you

ETA: Here it is~> YouTube - Bittersweet {Aragorn & Eowyn}

I made this AGES ago, now I'm all nostalgic

Last edited by a new hope; 02-16-2008 at 01:17 AM
a new hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Passionate Fan

That's a fantastic vid,Tar! I'd never heard the song before but it's gorgeous! The lyrics fit well and the flute instrumentation reminds me of the music in the films! I'm adding the song to the soundtrack and the vid to the OP as well! I loved it!

Here's a song that I think fits A/E perfectly!

Someday by Nickelback

How the hell'd we wind up like this
And why weren't we able
To see the signs that we missed
And try to turn the tables
I wish you'd unclench your fists
And unpack your suitcase
Lately there's been too much of this
But don't think it's too late

Nothing's wrong
Just as long as you know that someday I will
Someday, somehow
I'm gonna make it alright
But not right now
I know you're wondering when
You're the only one who knows that
Someday, somehow
But not right now

Well I'd hope that since we're here anyway
That we could end up saying
Things we've always needed to say
So we could end up staying
Now the story's played out like this
Just like a paperback novel
Let's rewrite an ending that fits
Instead of a Hollywood horror

Nothing's wrong
Someday, somehow
But not right now
Someday somehow
But not right now
You're the only one who knows that...

And why weren't we able

Nothing's wrong
Someday, somehow
But not right now
Someday somehow
But not right now
Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 100

Ooh, please add me to the list too. I'll admit, I haven't read the books yet ... mainly because I now have the attention span of a hummingbird but I'm definitely an A/E shipper. Like what you guys have mentioned, Aragorn/Eowyn are equals in every sense, they get how each other operates and they can kick butt together. How perfect can they get? And I think she challenges him in a way that Arwen never did because she's tough and brave and doesn't let people push her around or tell her what she can't do.

They complement each other in every way, and it frustrates me that he ends up with Arwen because they don't seem to have much in common and he seems more obliged to keep the promise he made to her instead of truly being in love with her.

Sarah | tumblr | icon thread | icon
destroyer of worlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Passionate Fan

Welcome,Sarah! I've added you to the list! I'm glad to see that Tar and I aren't the only ones her at FF who preferred Aragorn/Eowyn to Aragorn/Arwen.I haven't read the books yet myself.Just passages.I've read enough to know that the A/A thing comes out of nowhere,and that the Tale of Aragorn/Arwen in the ROTK's appendices is a lot of overly-dramatic nonsense painting Arwen as an unstable teenager/bitch.(I know that sounds harsh,but if you read the "Tale",that's the impression you get.)

Quote:
Aragorn/Eowyn are equals in every sense, they get how each other operates and they can kick butt together. How perfect can they get? And I think she challenges him in a way that Arwen never did because she's tough and brave and doesn't let people push her around or tell her what she can't do.
I totally agree! She was strong and in my opinion would have made a far better Queen of Gondor than the prim and prissy Arwen. Eowyn had strength and determination and she could really sympathize with the people which I could never picture Arwen doing.And she seemed to be able to really COMMUNICATE with Aragorn.They developed a real friendship which I believe is the best basis for any relationship.(See quote in my sig).

Quote:
They complement each other in every way, and it frustrates me that he ends up with Arwen because they don't seem to have much in common and he seems more obliged to keep the promise he made to her instead of truly being in love with her.
I hear you on all of that! I will never get over the fact that he married Arwen instead of Eowyn.When the movies were first released,several critics stated in their reviews that with someone as strong and vibrant as Eowyn around,it was impossible to see why Aragorn chose Arwen.Viggo Mortensen stated in an interivew that he thought that Eowyn was more right for Aragorn than Arwen and Miranda always seemed to be an A/E shipper! What's really amazing though is that even though Tolkien chose to drop his original idea of officially making Eowyn Aragorn's true love,he NEVER,to my knowledge,denied that she was the right person for Aragorn.If you analyze the few scenes in the book with Arwen,and the afore mentioned "Tale",it would almost seem that he's making a point of showing that Arwen ISN'T perfect for Aragorn.I believe that it's possible that Tolkien intentionally placed Aragorn with the wrong woman to make some sort of point.It wouldn't be a new thing for him.In several of his Middle-Earth short stories,he had intentionally mismatched couples.Regardless of why he changed his plans though,I will always believe that Eowyn was the better woman for Aragorn.And I felt bad at the end of the story because I could not see him and Arwen having that much happiness in the long run,and even Eowyn/Faramir wouldn't have been the best marriage in the world.Now,don't get me wrong,I LOVE Faramir! And I'm notexactly anti-Faramir/Eowyn.I just honestly believe based off of what I read in the book,that Eowyn was just settling for Faramir.I think that she liked and respected him,and I believe that they probably led a contented life together.But I don't see them ever being more than old friends.I don't see them being hopelessly in love with one another. I fervently wish that Professor Tolkien had joined Aragorn and Eowyn together and given poor Faramir a woman who was REALLY in love with him.I think that if Tolkien had gone with his original plan,Faramir probably would have gotten true love as well.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Welcome to the thread, Sarah

Quote:
That's a fantastic vid,Tar! I'd never heard the song before but it's gorgeous! The lyrics fit well and the flute instrumentation reminds me of the music in the films! I'm adding the song to the soundtrack and the vid to the OP as well! I loved it!
Thanks, glad you liked it

Quote:
And why weren't we able
This is like, the ANTHEM for all ships that didn't work out in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by House24Fan
I've read enough to know that the A/A thing comes out of nowhere,and that the Tale of Aragorn/Arwen in the ROTK's appendices is a lot of overly-dramatic nonsense painting Arwen as an unstable teenager/bitch.(I know that sounds harsh,but if you read the "Tale",that's the impression you get.)
Definitely. Did you notice that the entire time Aragorn is dying, she's worrying about her own death and he's the one who has to comfort her? That annoyed me SO much

Quote:
Now,don't get me wrong,I LOVE Faramir! And I'm notexactly anti-Faramir/Eowyn.I just honestly believe based off of what I read in the book,that Eowyn was just settling for Faramir.I think that she liked and respected him,and I believe that they probably led a contented life together.But I don't see them ever being more than old friends.I don't see them being hopelessly in love with one another. I fervently wish that Professor Tolkien had joined Aragorn and Eowyn together and given poor Faramir a woman who was REALLY in love with him.I think that if Tolkien had gone with his original plan,Faramir probably would have gotten true love as well.
I love Eowyn/Faramir because it was nice to see someone so into Eowyn and fighting to be with her, but I agree, no way they were the love of each others lives. I do think they loved each other, but it did feel like settling from Eowyn's part, and at the end of the day you could see it was an attempt from her side to have hope in life again after everything that happened.

Fact is, Eowyn loved Aragorn with all her heart and nothing/no one could ever change that. And Aragorn loved her, too, I don't care what people say I remember a moment in the third book where he says that out of all things that were happening in the War, what most worried him was Eowyn's "shadow" (I think it was after she killed the Witch King and was at the Houses of Healing). I mean, COME ON, the world's ending, the supposed "love of his life" is far away, and what most concerns him is Eowyn's fate! If that's not love I don't know what is
Old 02-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
This is like, the ANTHEM for all ships that didn't work out in the end
It is! That's why I think that it fits A/E just as well as any! Unfortunately!

Quote:
Definitely. Did you notice that the entire time Aragorn is dying, she's worrying about her own death and he's the one who has to comfort her? That annoyed me SO much
I DID notice that! Her husband is dying and all she cares about is herself! SHE made the decision to become mortal.SHE KNEW what that would entail.She seemed extermely selfish and petty in that scene.Also,I love how she seemed to totally disregard her own children.She just goes off into the wilderness to mope and die.Her children obviously mean very little to her.While I believe that Aragorn was the love of Eowyn's life,I highly doubt that Eowyn would have been like that in Arwen's place.Eowyn would have been sad at first,but then eventually she would have accepted it and been happy to grow old with her children and grandchildren around her. Eowyn was stronger and less selfish.

Quote:
I love Eowyn/Faramir because it was nice to see someone so into Eowyn and fighting to be with her, but I agree, no way they were the love of each others lives. I do think they loved each other, but it did feel like settling from Eowyn's part, and at the end of the day you could see it was an attempt from her side to have hope in life again after everything that happened.
I agree. It was very touching to see his sincere concern for her and sympathy with her pain.And I DO think they loved one another and had a comfortable life.He was a good man and he cared for her and understood her pretty well.I think they were really good friends with a love grown out of mutual understanding and there was probably much affection after they'd been together awhile. But they were never each other's ONE.

Quote:
Fact is, Eowyn loved Aragorn with all her heart and nothing/no one could ever change that. And Aragorn loved her, too, I don't care what people say I remember a moment in the third book where he says that out of all things that were happening in the War, what most worried him was Eowyn's "shadow" (I think it was after she killed the Witch King and was at the Houses of Healing). I mean, COME ON, the world's ending, the supposed "love of his life" is far away, and what most concerns him is Eowyn's fate! If that's not love I don't know what is
He loved her back! I never doubted that he loved her.I think that if Arwen had really left middle-earth for the undying lands that he would have recovered fairly quickly and married Eowyn.I think that it was his promise to Arwen that kept him bound NOT a deep and abounding love for her.A man's word meant alot according to the old codes of honour that men like Aragorn lived under.He wouldn't have been able to break the promise to Arwen! I think he was trapped! He was most worried about Eowyn in the instance you mentioned because he LOVED her!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Also,I love how she seemed to totally disregard her own children.She just goes off into the wilderness to mope and die.Her children obviously mean very little to her.
Don't get me started on that For a character who's such a symbol of "hope", she certain had none after Aragorn died.

Quote:
I think they were really good friends with a love grown out of mutual understanding and there was probably much affection after they'd been together awhile. But they were never each other's ONE.
Exactly, that's how I see it

Quote:
He loved her back! I never doubted that he loved her.I think that if Arwen had really left middle-earth for the undying lands that he would have recovered fairly quickly and married Eowyn.
No doubt about it

Quote:
I think that it was his promise to Arwen that kept him bound NOT a deep and abounding love for her.A man's word meant alot according to the old codes of honour that men like Aragorn lived under.He wouldn't have been able to break the promise to Arwen! I think he was trapped! He was most worried about Eowyn in the instance you mentioned because he LOVED her!
Definitely I mean, take a second to be in his shoes. He sees Arwen in the woods, falls in love instantly (because she looked so much like Luthien and was one of the most beautiful beings on Middle Earth), leaves to become King (she wouldn't have him any other way) and then meets Eowyn, a woman who falls in love with him unconditionally, who's his equal. What is he supposed to do, give Arwen a call and say "Sorry babe, that promise I made to you years ago isn't valid anymore, I met someone else, tell your Dad I said hi!" ? It's not something you did in that world. He was bound to Arwen and she was bound to him. If anyone had the power to end that relationship it was Arwen, because she had the upper hand the whole time.

Here's some love from the books :

Quote:
Thus Aragorn for the first time in the full light of day beheld Éowyn, Lady of Rohan, and thought her fair, fair and cold, like a morning of pale spring that is not yet come to womanhood. And she now was suddenly aware of him: tall heir of kings, wise with many winters, greycloaked, hiding a power that yet she felt. For a moment still as stone she stood, then turning swiftly she was gone.
Quote:
"But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death."

"What do you fear, lady?" he asked.

"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire."

"And yet you counselled me not to adventure on the road that I had chosen, because it is perilous?"

"So may one counsel another," she said. "Yet I do not bid you flee from peril, but to ride to battle where your sword may win renown and victory. I would not see a thing that is high and excellent cast away needlessly."

"Nor would I," he said.