Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Andy and Nancy (Weeds) #3: "Because they were breaking our hearts with their emotional airport goodbyes!"

Welcome to the 2nd
Andy and Nancy Appreciation Thread!

Shipper List
01. ~AIR~
02. Blankmixtape
03. blueschild007
04. TVWeirdo07
05. Mitt Mitt St Clair
06. jules166
07. LHScott
08. Alexa
09. sillylily91
10. Pasadora
11. Timid Wild One
12. wirwen
13. Dracofan4ever
14. CallinMeBlondie
15. manja

Videos on youtube
YouTube - Weeds - Andy / Nancy " We will never, right?" ღ After afterall
YouTube - andy & nancy {i need to know}
YouTube - Nancy&Andy: Beside You
YouTube - Nancy&Andy ;; to go beside you
Let me know if you want anything added to the OP.

Couples
GO BLUES Julie

Last edited by BleedingBlue; 11-18-2010 at 02:59 AM
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Man this episode pulled on my heartstrings.

First the Andy and Silas scene was great. Im glad it effected him so much because I wouldnt want Silas left behind, bu it sucked that the reason plan C went into effect was because Silas was not there.

Andy so wanted plan A, and you could see the heartbreak in his face when she said Plan C. I loved the ending though, nancy hugging Silas bye ( sad that was the only one that really got a goodbye hug from her) and then nancy at the end saying Please Arrest me and a shot of all the men in her life with the sad faces.

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Extreme Fan

TFTNT. Awww, the airport gifs.
I was wondering, if we could replace some pics in the OP with this versions? If everybody is okay with it, of course.

What do you think of adding those as well?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manja (View Post)
pretty nice. best nancy/andy scenes.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueschild007 (View Post)
Man this episode pulled on my heartstrings.

First the Andy and Silas scene was great. Im glad it effected him so much because I wouldnt want Silas left behind, bu it sucked that the reason plan C went into effect was because Silas was not there.

Andy so wanted plan A, and you could see the heartbreak in his face when she said Plan C. I loved the ending though, nancy hugging Silas bye ( sad that was the only one that really got a goodbye hug from her) and then nancy at the end saying Please Arrest me and a shot of all the men in her life with the sad faces.

Yay! Thanks so much for starting the new thread! I also realized what I was doing wrong before!

And yes, I still think this episode is the MOST emotional one so far out of all the seasons. Honestly, it was one of the best ones. Definitely pulling at all the heartstrings!

The irony is that Silas DID end up coming to the airport on his own, by making that decision on his own. Too bad he has such bad timing in terms of Esteban/Guillermo catching him at that moment.

Well, at least, Andy also did sort of get a semi-hug from Nancy when she whispered Plan C again in his ear. Now that I'm thinking about it, the writers COULD have given Andy/Nancy more time to say goodbye after Shane had already went through the terminal. Andy and Nancy did have a chance to hug and say more stuff because Shane was not there to witness it.

I hope in season 7, we'll still have our Andy/Nancy scenes. I don't know. But we will see.

I'm thinking we should add more youtube music videos with Andy and Nancy to the OP, there are new ones:
YouTube - Weeds - Andy / Nancy " We will never, right?" ღ After afterall
YouTube - andy & nancy {i need to know}
YouTube - Nancy&Andy: Beside You
YouTube - Nancy&Andy ;; to go beside you

More on tumblr:

source (credit for the above artwork):
Wonderful Wonderful

"I will not let anything happen to you."
Walter and Paige

credit for the icon: Chiara G

Last edited by jules166; 11-17-2010 at 10:49 PM
Old 11-17-2010, 11:17 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Now that I'm thinking about it, the writers COULD have given Andy/Nancy more time to say goodbye after Shane had already went through the terminal. Andy and Nancy did have a chance to hug and say more stuff because Shane was not there to witness it.
They could have, but it made sense for Andy to storm right past Nancy after Shane was out of sight. Why? He was sad, sure, but he was also pretty clearly pissed. He didn't even speak to her after his "And Guinard, and Reyes" comment and brushed right past her to go to the gate, even though Shane had disappeared from sight. It's kind of unnerving when Andy, who loves to talk, has absolutely nothing to say, so I think it speaks to just how affected he was in that scene. He knew that best case scenario, the feds grab her and she's arrested for murder, and worst case scenario, Esteban and Guillermo get to her before the feds do and kill her, but he still couldn't bring himself to say goodbye. It was quite different from his loving, eloquent goodbye to Silas. I also noticed that Andy barely said anything after his BS explanation to the flight attendant about Shane's flight jitters and his "No, she's not"; he said nothing when Silas showed up and he didn't say anything when the cops came for Warren. Again, very unusual for Andy.

I think Andy really believed that when Nancy showed up at the gate, they could go ahead with Plan A. So when she insisted on Plan C, he was devastated. I think Andy, on some level, knew that Nancy was sacrificing herself so that they could get away. I think his overriding reaction in the heat of the moment was that she had strung him along and pretended to go along with his Copenhagen plan only to back out at the last minute. Basically, "Van Nuys" and the note all over again, with a side of "You'd rather be arrested for murder than start a new life in Copenhagen with me."

Jenji's brief video commentary for 6x13 makes it seem as if Nancy is sacrificing herself in part because she's finally ready to do something about the fact that she is no good for the other Botwins: by turning herself in, she's not only saving Shane but also putting some distance between Andy, Shane and Silas and her "poisonous" effect on the people in her life***. Seen in that light, her insistence on Plan A is actually the kindest thing she could do for Andy, as she is in a way "releasing" him as he had begged her to do in 6x05: separating herself by an ocean, turning herself in and facing imprisonment for murder is just as good as sincerely assuring him nothing will ever happen between them. Of course, Andy, who is probably kicking himself for believing that Nancy was ever committed to going to Copenhagen with them, wouldn't view it that way, at least not immediately.

One of Nancy's most selfish impulses has been to keep Andy permanently tied to her, no matter the emotional/personal cost to Andy. (I don't think Nancy has ruined Andy's life, but she has caused him a lot of grief by refusing to truly let go of him.) So by allowing for a Plan C--and I have no doubt that Plan C was Nancy's idea and not Andy's, as Andy would never volunteer a plan incorporating the possibility of leaving Nancy behind--Nancy is putting the Botwins' welfare (and by extension Andy's) above her own desires. That's huge for Nancy.

***Of course, if that's true, then I have to wonder when she changed her mind about going to Copenhagen. I believe that she meant it in the "Wonderful, wonderful" scene in 6x09, but after the paternity reveal which had such a devastating effect on Silas, maybe that swayed her more towards turning herself in. I think Andy and Nancy must have formulated the plans sometime after 6x09 but before Nancy met with Ellis in the hotel room (as she returned from the hotel and went straight to bed, and was asked upon waking by Andy about Plans A, B and C). Nancy was in pure self-preservation mode in her initial scenes with Ellis Tate, so I think she was still in "Copenhagen" mode then, but at some point the switch from self-preservation (Copenhagen) to self-sacrifice (staying behind with Stevie so that Esteban wouldn't go after the other Botwins) got flipped. Maybe it was Ellis Tate telling her that someone had to answer for Pilar's murder and force-feeding her some hard truths, or maybe it was Silas' conversation with her. Was it really Silas' absence at the gate that made her change her mind? She did get her ticket and passport from Guillermo, but maybe that was only to make it to the gate so that she could say goodbye.

Last edited by MR19; 11-18-2010 at 12:53 AM
Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Master Fan

You do bring out excellent thoughts and ideas.

However, I do have a different view on that particular scene. Perhaps, it was just too painful for Andy and Nancy to truly say goodbye. Even when she insisted on Plan C and gave him that hug, he was completely losing it and so was she. They were both breaking down. And I think that could also explain why Andy kinda rushed to the terminal. Like he couldn't simply say goodbye to her.

I honestly did not get any "upset/a bit angry about Copenhagen" vibe from Andy. I mostly got a lot of sadness/pain in that Andy/Nancy airport scenes. He knew that she either would be killed or sent to prison. Two scenarios that would be equally horrible and terrible.

Also, the reason I personally think Andy was so silent during the other scenes after his goodbye with Nancy is simply because he was basically heartbroken. And he can't really say anything to the boys at this point that would help, anyway. What do you say to the two boys whose mom will either be murdered or sent to jail? It's not like he cay say, "Oh, don't worry. It will be okay." And when Silas boarded the plane, again I think Andy basically said nothing because he was completely broken at this point. Completely crushed.

I like this particular review a lot about the season finale:
Weeds Season 6 Finale: Kohan Delivers an Emotional Game Winner - On to Weeds Season 7 | BuzzFocus

Especially this part:
Quote:
Andy decided to step up into a parental position and lovingly claim Silas as a nephew, despite the lack of blood ties. Andy’s growth transcended mere family bonds. He also made a sacrifice of the heart in giving up Nancy to fly off to Paris and be a father of sorts to Shane and Silas.
I'm hoping and hoping that somehow, we will still have Andy/Nancy interaction in season 7! Jenji is basically saying that season 7 will be the last season. She also mentioned that she has two possible endings in mind. I worry that one of those possible endings is a sad one. I hope she goes with a happy ending.

By the way, for NEW fans, these below clips is how I found out about Andy/Nancy, we could add them to the OP as well:
YouTube - The Top 30 Best Andy and Nancy Moments/Scenes Pt1 (30-21)
YouTube - The Top 30 Best Andy and Nancy Moments/Scenes Pt 2 (20-16)
YouTube - The Top 30 Best Andy and Nancy Moments/Scenes Pt3 (15-11)
YouTube - The Top 30 Best Andy and Nancy Moments/Scenes Pt4 (10-6)

Walter and Paige

Last edited by jules166; 11-18-2010 at 02:19 AM
Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Added the artwork and the youtube links to the OP, if anyone wants to put down any quotes of theres to the OP go ahead and post them down. We have so much great artwork and videos up there, some favorite quotes would really be great as well.

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 AM
New Fan

MR19 - Nancy triggered Plan C by calling Andy with the janitor's cell phone before Nancy knew Silas had not shown up. When she arrived at the gate, Andy tried to convince her to switch back to Plan A. Nancy refused, ostensibly because Silas was not there and would be in danger. As I understand your view, you think it was going to be Plan C no matter what and that Nancy had decided on this perhaps immediately after leaving from the Vaughn interview.

I think that interpretation has a lot of merit. In particular, I have been bothered by the fact that Nancy still went with Plan C even after Silas showed up and boarded the plane. Once Silas was on the plane, why didn't Nancy simply pick up Stevie and get on the plane after him? Esteban and Guillermo were not armed since they had been through security. Further, there is nothing they could do to stop Nancy from boarding the plane. She and the baby had tickets. What could Esteban do? Forcibly restrain her at the gate in front of dozens of people and security? Not likely. This suggests that Nancy was going to do Plan C no matter what. As you point out, Andy was once again Charlie Brown and had the football pulled away just like in Van Nuys because Nancy knew she was not going to go with Plan A but let Andy believe that she would (or at least might).

I am proud to say that earlier in the thread I predicted that they were setting up Nancy for a "redemption arc" for the end of the season, wherein she would confront Esteban/FBI to protect her family. That seems to be what we got.

As for next season, I take Jenji at her word that the writers presently have no idea how they are going to unravel all this until they start writing the next season. However, I think the options are limited. Importantly, there would not be much of a show if Nancy is in an orange jumpsuit for all of next season. Thus, I think the writers will have to do something along the following lines:

1. FBI finds town car in airport parking lot with dead Vaughn, which results in Esteban and Guillermo in prison.

2. FBI also finds DVD with video of Pilar's murder either in car or at Esteban's residence. Nancy is then off the hook for murder. She pleads out the remaining accessory-after-the-fact charge by turning state's witness against Esteban and Guillermo.

3. FBI is now looking for Shane. Perhaps Shane takes the pillow of money to hide in Europe and avoid arrest and extradition. Or, he may get extradited and charged as a juvenile. But it is better Shane is in jail than Nancy.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 AM
New Fan

Quote:
I think that interpretation has a lot of merit. In particular, I have been bothered by the fact that Nancy still went with Plan C even after Silas showed up and boarded the plane. Once Silas was on the plane, why didn't Nancy simply pick up Stevie and get on the plane after him? Esteban and Guillermo were not armed since they had been through security. Further, there is nothing they could do to stop Nancy from boarding the plane. She and the baby had tickets. What could Esteban do? Forcibly restrain her at the gate in front of dozens of people and security? Not likely. This suggests that Nancy was going to do Plan C no matter what. As you point out, Andy was once again Charlie Brown and had the football pulled away just like in Van Nuys because Nancy knew she was not going to go with Plan A but let Andy believe that she would (or at least might).
I think there were a few reasons. Nancy probably doubted she would be able to get away once the phone call had been made and that an attempt to do so might scupper Copenhagen for the rest of them. Andy's the one who made the phone call and he still thought they could go back to Plan A. Still, if her location had been pinned to the airport, even if she made it on to the plane, would the FBI be able to track her to Copenhagen (via Paris)? I think so. Basically, there was no turning back.

The other major reason was that Esteban and Guillermo had shown up, wanting Stevie and wanting her dead. If they were able to find her in Detroit and knew she was going to Copenhagen, they'd probably be able to find her in Copenhagen. The only way the rest of family wouldn't be hunted anymore is if she stuck with Plan C. Plan A would get her out of the country short-term, but she realized--maybe thanks to Ellis Tate, and maybe thanks to Esteban's appearance--that if she and Stevie went with the rest of the Botwins, she'd only be putting them in danger of getting caught by the FBI or of getting used as hostages by Esteban or his goons. Esteban and Guillermo wanted Stevie (and Nancy, to kill her), the FBI wanted Nancy. At least at the moment, neither of those groups cared anything about Shane, Silas, or Andy.
Quote:
As for next season, I take Jenji at her word that the writers presently have no idea how they are going to unravel all this until they start writing the next season. However, I think the options are limited. Importantly, there would not be much of a show if Nancy is in an orange jumpsuit for all of next season.
I know the Celia-in-jail arc had its issues, but I think a Nancy-in-prison storyline might be interesting. Nancy has never liked dealing with women--maybe a byproduct of growing up with an alcoholic mother?--and women are by and large completely immune to the charisma she's used to manipulate men to do her bidding. Heck, even the lesbians (Linda Hamilton's pot dealer) aren't impressed by her. So seeing her navigate the politics of an all-woman environment without someone up and killing her might be interesting. It wouldn't be too different from Season 4, where Nancy was doing her own thing (maternity store, Esteban) largely separate from the other plotlines.

It would also be a little disappointing if Andy, Shane and Silas were to return immediately to the States after all the trouble they took to escape. Not only would it be kind of a copout, it wouldn't be safe for Shane to go back, as the FBI could find that videotape, and I can't believe Andy and Silas would leave Shane by himself.

With that said, over the past several seasons, the new season will pick up immediately where the old season left off...and I really can't see the writers doing an arc where Andy, Shane and Silas pursue a new life in Copenhagen. So it will be interesting to see how the writers figure a way to deal with that.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

Lots of great thoughts/analysis to read here

Quote:
With that said, over the past several seasons, the new season will pick up immediately where the old season left off...and I really can't see the writers doing an arc where Andy, Shane and Silas pursue a new life in Copenhagen. So it will be interesting to see how the writers figure a way to deal with that.
I've still got my money on witness protection for Nancy.
It's really hard to predict Shane's path in the future, as it all depends on whether the FBI sees that tape, but I have a feeling that the boys will land in Paris, not even board the flight to Copenhagen, then buy themselves tickets back to the States with the money in Warren's pillow. I really, REALLY don't see them sticking around in Europe. If it's left up to Shane, I see Pittsburgh in their future.
As for Andy...well...he'll find Nancy somehow. As has been said many times: Nancy and Andy are the core of this show. Without Andy, what is Nancy? Without Nancy, what is Andy? They are inseparable and their partnership is integral to the story as a whole. I'm sure it won't be long til they're back together again.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Extreme Fan

Love your thoughts and predictions.

Quote:
Added the artwork and the youtube links to the OP
Thank you.

This scene
Shane: She is not coming, is she?
Andy: No, she´s not.

Last edited by manja; 11-18-2010 at 09:25 AM
Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timid Wild One (View Post)

I've still got my money on witness protection for Nancy.
It's really hard to predict Shane's path in the future, as it all depends on whether the FBI sees that tape, but I have a feeling that the boys will land in Paris, not even board the flight to Copenhagen, then buy themselves tickets back to the States with the money in Warren's pillow. I really, REALLY don't see them sticking around in Europe. If it's left up to Shane, I see Pittsburgh in their future.
As for Andy...well...he'll find Nancy somehow. As has been said many times: Nancy and Andy are the core of this show. Without Andy, what is Nancy? Without Nancy, what is Andy? They are inseparable and their partnership is integral to the story as a whole. I'm sure it won't be long til they're back together again.

I so hope you are right. I'd hate to see Nancy in prison as a full season arc. I think the Andy/Nancy dynamic became a HUGE core of the show in the past few seasons. So I honestly do not want to see a season where they do not interact. That wouldn't be Weeds, in my opinion. Plus, them having separate storylines from Nancy would be like splitting the core family up.

And seriously, Justin/MLP are magic together. Their chemistry is a huge draw for the fans. I don't think the show would work with Andy/Silas/Shane in another country while Nancy is in prison.

By the way, I'm bringing this Jenji interview over from the previous thread:
Weeds Finale Post-Mortem: Creator Jenji Kohan Says Show May End After Next Season - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

Quote:
TVGuide.com: Before then, will Andy (Justin Kirk) ever get his day with Nancy?
Kohan: He's a very determined young man. I don't know. I think they're very afraid of ruining what they have. There's a very real potential to ruin what they have with sex. It would change everything. It's like toast: Once you're toast, you can never be bread again.
The bright side of this answer is that it does seem like Andy/Nancy's feelings are MUTUAL. In Jenji's opinion, she believes that they are just both afraid of ruining what they have. Since she is the main creator of the show, I will take that as to be the truth.

Previously, we would get answers about "unrequited" love. And how Nancy might not be in love with Andy. BUT this time, it's more about both of them being very afraid to ruin what they have. I wonder if season 6 further bonded Andy/Nancy together, hence the writers now giving a slightly different answer.

blueschild007, the OP looks so pretty! Thanks so much for adding all the new stuff! We appreciate it! Could you also change it to "3rd" Appreciation Thread in the OP?

Walter and Paige

Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for posting the link. I feel good about Jenji repeating how important and strong A/N´s bond is.
She keeps saying that a lot. I know many fans argue it´s not mutual, Nancy doesn´t want him, but since Jenji knows the character´s the best, so I take her word over it any time. I agree with being said that it´s unlikely for Andy and Nancy to be separated for long, I don´t see how that could work.
Witness protection seems to be a good idea.
Oh, did you see Jenji´s cameo at the airport?
Quote:
Previously, we would get answers about "unrequited" love. And how Nancy might not be in love with Andy. BUT this time, it's more about both of them being very afraid to ruin what they have. I wonder if season 6 further bonded Andy/Nancy together, hence the writers now giving a slightly different answer.
The unrequired love issue was on the table in Boomerang and Nancy anserwered love wasn´t the issue. She adressed he fears, showed her vulnerability. That was a big step for them.
Then in S6 for the first time they worked together as partners, partners in crime, made decisions together. They did plan together before in Van Nuys, but Nancy slipped away in the last moment.
And I think what was already being said, Nancy noticed in this Season how much Andy matured and how much she needs him.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manja (View Post)
Nancy noticed in this Season how much Andy matured and how much she needs him.
This right here is a very good, very huge point.

Remember this exchange, from way back when?
Quote:
Nancy Botwin: Andy, today it was brought to my attention that the downside to this business is death, so right now I'm not thinking about "the bakery" I'm thinking about enrolling in dental hygiene school so my children aren't orphans.
Andy Botwin: If anything happens to you, I will raise Silas and Shane as my own.
Nancy Botwin: Ok, now I pledge never to die.
Now here we are, a few years down the road, and what has happened? Nancy has done a 180°. Sure, she's not dead, and the kids are older now, but she now has placed her confidence in Andy. She has deemed him responsible with the safety of her two eldest children. While they are no longer the kids they were back when Nancy uttered that pledge, she still will do everything in her power to protect them, and now we see that includes putting them on a plane across the Atlantic with Andy to watch over them. This says quite a bit about how her feelings toward and opinion of Andy have changed immensely. She is no longer leery of his intentions or abilities; she now places her trust in him completely. Well...as completely as Nancy can trust any person, really. That is no small thing.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread