Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 AM
Master Fan

They're so enticing because they're non-traditional. I wonder if the marriage ending actually had happened, just how many people would've actually felt weird when they thought they were rooting for it, afterall.

Soooo reading some satire fanfic is getting me thinking... do you guys think there was actually any political agenda/commentary behind the "almost marriage" storyline between B/J at the end? I never thought of it that way before.

Me: "Ted, you're my favorite!"
Scott Lowell: "Aww, thank you! Well, you're my favorite now, too."
Old 12-07-2018, 06:53 AM
Extreme Fan

I feel like a lot of people who wanted would end up feeling different about it. After my first watch, it made me sad that they didn't end up together and I was very NO about that part. But after thinking about it for a while and especially re-watching it again, it changed. Although, I still would have liked Justin to show up at Babylon at the end. But then again, that's supposed to be not long after he left so maybe that wouldn't make a lot of sense either.

Hmm. I'm not sure. There certainly could be and I wouldn't be shocked. But I am undecided lol.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggerrose (View Post)
Although, I still would have liked Justin to show up at Babylon at the end. But then again, that's supposed to be not long after he left so maybe that wouldn't make a lot of sense either.
Yes, I've always felt that way! Like, he just went to NY. He's going to come back for Babylon's opening so soon? He's supposed to be going out and trying to figure his st out, so that wouldn't make sense.

I have to wonder if the political commentary theory holds any weight, or if it spawned from butthurt fangirls when they didn't get the ending they wanted, so they had to demonize CowLip.

I still love the ending...

Old 12-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggerrose (View Post)
I feel like a lot of people who wanted would end up feeling different about it. After my first watch, it made me sad that they didn't end up together and I was very NO about that part. But after thinking about it for a while and especially re-watching it again, it changed. Although, I still would have liked Justin to show up at Babylon at the end. But then again, that's supposed to be not long after he left so maybe that wouldn't make a lot of sense either.

Hmm. I'm not sure. There certainly could be and I wouldn't be shocked. But I am undecided lol.
It eases my mind knowing that technically they never really had broken up, Justin just left for New York. They had a long distance relationship, but a relationship nonetheless.

Although I will say it was unsettling seeing Brian dancing all by himself like he was supposed to be the "strongest" one.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 12-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Master Fan

I actually love seeing Brian dancing alone at the end. For me, it brang everything full-circle. Like, he's still Brian Kinney. He's the lion. He's okay on his own. IDK. I dug it.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

That's a very optimistic way of looking at it. And also very true. He'll always be the Brian Kinney we've all come to know and love.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Master Fan

Yesssss!

I think sometimes Brian isn't given enough credit at the end. Like, people (not saying anyone on this board, just stuff I've observed) assume that he's going to be miserable now. But, even though he was fked up in certain ways in the beginning of the show, homeboy WAS managing to enjoy his life, and be successful in various ways, while single. And he damn well can do it again.

...not that Brian and Justin officially broke up, blah blah blah...

Just saying. *steps off pro-single soapbox*

Old 12-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I have to agree here.. even if they would have broken up..

of course Brian would have been devestated, and I'm sure Justin would have been too, but life would go on.. like in the real world too.. a piece of your heart gets ripped out, but time heals wounds and they would start to enjoy their single life again.. even if it is different then

icon by Daggi
Old 12-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Extreme Fan

I agree with that, Chris. Brian did change in the end, he went through an entire progression and I think he came out stronger. So yes, big bad Brian Kinney will always be all right, no matter what. And on top of that, he knows he has someone who loves him who, while not always physically being there, will always be there for him. And vice-versa.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Master Fan

Heck yeah, he's a survivor. And I think that's one reason I love the ending so much.

Like him all alone up there on the platform in Babylon, almost like the writers are saying, "Look, he's still a lion. Did you guys forget?! Cause we didn't!"

Old 01-13-2019, 02:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I know. I just don't like that he's the only one who ended up seemingly alone. I'm inclined to believe, though, that right after this scene ended, he went home from a now revived Babylon, and called Brian. Maybe even facetimed him, if they had that back then.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Alycia Debnam-Carey

I didn't like that either
Old 02-08-2019, 11:38 PM
Master Fan

I'm just starting season 5 again. I'm not sure I caught the parallel in previous watches that happens in the conversation Brian and Michael have, when Brian's saying how Justin won't ever come back since he's in LA ing movie stars. But the thing is Michael's talking about buying a house with Ben, and he says, "Maybe you should buy yourself a new house in in the country." (not the exact quote) And Brian scoffs and says, "I HATE the fing country!" He would've been totally miserable at "Britin". Anyway, catching that this time made me love the show's ending all the more.

And 5x01 has one of the most epic endings of any episode in the series, methinks.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

we know that the only reason that Brian was buying Britin was to make Justin happy. the big countryhouse was Justins dream.. and without Justin I'm sure Brian wouldn't be happy in it. he would be lonley.. together with Justin I think he sure would have loved it.. isn't it what a relationship is made of? the person you love outways the negative things that bring the compromises you make? well.. how would I know.. convinced single..

icon by Daggi
Old 02-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Master Fan

Right, he was only doing it for Justin. He was trying to change himself to please Justin. That's why I love that heartbreaking conversation they have in Brian's bed...about not wanting each other to sacrifice themselves for love. And I think Brian might've possibly been happy for a short time, or happy to see Justin happy. But I think it would've slowly really dragged him down. Love and a happy partner aren't enough to equate to happiness in all areas of life.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread